Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, you can only push those types. Not quite as easy as just carrying it around, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

Zereth posted:

Couldn't you just pick up the SW purple tile and move it to the spot two tiles NW of that? Then you have two overlapping rows of 3.

That's the way I always used. Didn't realize there was another way. I love the puzzle mechanics even if they can approach or pass hair-pulling difficulty (not even mentioning that puzzle.)

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
And if you're really rubbish at puzzles, this is where you really start to give reset a work out.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

WinterSteel posted:

I love the puzzle mechanics even if they can approach or pass hair-pulling difficulty (not even mentioning that puzzle.)

I hope you're talking about the fire arrows+growing plants :argh: :argh: because whoever designed that one is pure evil.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The most annoying mistake I made when doing this puzzle was accidentally pushing a red/blue block past 2 others and having to reset a minute later when I dealt with the rest. Such a :doh: moment.
The last of a later set of puzzles like this is where I really started abusing Reset though.

I like that Berty and Bart aren't a boss battle at the end of the dungeon though. It sort of reinforces their whole 'slapstick did they really just do that' comedy deal.

Also if I remember right incidental NPC chatter after getting your reward has them postponing the Coronation to go over their security. Because even NPC's realize getting stone cold robbed by those wily thieves shouldn't have happened.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Super Jay Mann posted:

I hope you're talking about the fire arrows+growing plants :argh: :argh: because whoever designed that one is pure evil.

I hated the horse statues puzzle so much more.

Anyway, I liked the fact that there was no boss battle as well. Going down due to their own dumb schemes is really fitting for those two. Not everything has to be a fight against the ultimate evil, seeing the game not taking itself seriously once in a while is nice.

WinterSteel
Nov 1, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I hated the horse statues puzzle so much more.

Anyway, I liked the fact that there was no boss battle as well. Going down due to their own dumb schemes is really fitting for those two. Not everything has to be a fight against the ultimate evil, seeing the game not taking itself seriously once in a while is nice.

For me, both of those puzzles were hair-pullingly frustrating. I actually had to look up the solution for the former, but the latter just took a lot of brute forcing.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Just found this LP. Not sure how it evaded me but now I'm here. Yay.

Lufia II is one of my all-time favourite RPGs. I love it to bits. Certain puzzles can be a bit hard (and annoyingly so in one particular case) but for the most part they're quite interesting. There's not many jRPGs that use puzzles as much in dungeon design as this game does. It's unique in that way (as well as the New Game + bits which are both awesome).

Gotta say, I also didn't mind the DS remake much, though I wasn't a fan of some of the character redesigns. I did enjoy Berty and Bart's redesigns, though, and Lexis's too. The game isn't bad, though, it just isn't very Lufia II-ish and skips a lot of the charm. If it had been its own game then it probably would have been better. Hell, even if it had been in the Lufia franchise that would have been okay, had it had it's own story. That said, it has some pretty neat points - not least being the music.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I too managed to miss this LP until two days ago.

I really liked Lufia 2 and as far as SNES RPG's go it ranks at the same height as Chrono trigger simply because they have such different tones/gameplay.
The story is decent, but nothing special, but the way random encounters are done in dungeons combined with a few characters that I really like makes it nice to play. I also rather like the simple yet colorfull graphics.
I'm also one of the people who played 2 before 1 and I never finished 1 because of that. It isn't often when a sequel blows the original out of the water especially not when that sequel is actually a prequel.

I never really get the Tia hate, I like Tia. I like that she´s the childhood sweetheart chasing after someone who just isn't very interested in her. I think it's sweet. The way they resolved her in Lufia DS made me happy. :)

I'm also digging that Lufia DS is being shown off at the same time. I remember being excited when it was first announced and being disappointed when I played it. It's not a bad game, but the way they mangled some of the characters, specifically the hammer wielding dude just rubs me the wrong way.
Had it been called Ailuf or something else entirely it probably would've been remembered as an unremarkable yet decent game. As it is, it just can´t escape the comparison to an older game that's actually not comparable at all.
It also doesn't help that Tia's portrait makes me want to punch her in the chin.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Chapter 6: Make My Monster Grow!

(Also: Maxim Is a Jerk to Kids)

Time before last, we came to Alunze to watch a coronation that never ended up happening. I guess it's time to move on.

But first!

Warp lets you teleport to any town that you've visited before. It's very handy, especially once we get it in spell form.

We're returning to Sundletan because there's a certain weapon that we want to buy in bulk.

That's because we're bringing Foomy to Class 2! Pay attention to these stats, by the way.

The long and short of feeding your capsule monsters is that its cravings correspond to the relative value of the items you feed it. You can tell what sort of items will actually earn you points by what Foomy's demanding at any given time.

The reason why we're using Battle Knives is that they're the absolute cheapest item you can feed a Class 1 capsule monster without it rejecting it entirely. Meeting demands earns you three points, while cheapo items like the Battle Knife will only net you one.

Note: it might be tempting to feed it something more valuable for up to eight ticks at a time (such as Jewels), but then it will start demanding items like that all the time and you're basically stuck until you can get more items of that value.

Slow and steady is the cheapest and quickest way to go. Once we hit 32 points...

We have a Class 2 monster!

Of course, problem is that Class 2 monsters have their own bottom line when it comes to cravings, so we'll have to wait a bit until we can raise him up again.

Still, look at those stats! If I'd taken the time to grind out the cash for it, I could have had a second tier Capsule Monster before setting foot into Alunze. That is pretty neat.

By the way, you can use the Change function in the Capsule menu to turn Foomy into any of his unlocked forms at any time. That's really not recommended for this guy, but later monsters will have unique abilities at each tier.

Anyway, you may have remembered that there were a couple of kids playing with the old man blocking the way to Tanbel.

Going there in turn tells us that Abel went to this cave here to play around with the key to the shrine. This can only bode well.

Yup.

: What's wrong? What's your name?

: I'm Abel. I..I...the key...

: What's wrong with the key?

: Eh...ah...

No, he isn't?

: Ye...yeah...but...uh...

: What?

: Hey, Maxim.

: {.....}

: Please.

: I took out the key to the small shrine to look for stuff in a treasure hunt. A huge monster suddenly appeared and I was so freaked I threw the key at it. And that monster took the key and went inside the dungeon.

: Ok. I understand. Don't worry. We will find the key for you.

: Really!?

: Yes. So promise me you're not going to do this again, ok?

: I promise.

: That a boy. Now, this place is dangerous, so go back now.

: I will. Please be careful.

So that's the explanation for why this dungeon exists, because a kid threw a key at a monster.

: I'm just prepared, that's all.

: Of course.

: What's on your mind, Tia?

: Oh, nothing. Let's go, Maxim.

Starting us off easy here with a simple obstacle involving incomplete bridges and planks.

There's a lever behind the spikes to the left, but I'm not sure what it does, considering this lever lowers all the spikes in the room.

This upgraded version of the potion cures about 80 HP. I say about 80 because potions fluctuate for some reason, so it could cure 79 or thereabouts.

In this room, there's actually a third pot hidden behind one of these pillars, but it lets me demonstrate an important trick that will come into play later.

Monsters can activate buttons if they stand on them. Very useful to know.

Never miss a chance to step on a cracked floor.

This could possibly be called a puzzle if you push the first block onto the button by mistake.

Use this one instead.

Heck yeah! Now we don't have to grind one.

Nothing too interesting about this particular type of moth. Much like the blue jelly, it just hits harder and takes more punishment.

This area here has an odd puzzle that could be very confusing if you didn't start from this side of the room.

If it wasn't for the pot in the room to hold down the invisible button that makes these stairs exist, you wouldn't know that there was anything special to this room at all.

Moving right along, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it hole in the wall that you can see right before exiting.

I actually did miss it my first time through and had to go back for it as I was leaving. Light Armor is a pretty good upgrade for Maxim that gives him an IP move that cures silence. Trouble is, I don't think there's an enemy that inflicts silence for a bit of a while.

This room isn't as hard to navigate as you'd think. Moths and lizards don't move often or especially quickly.

Kind of an odd place for recovery pads, almost as if they wanted you to stop for a moment and look around...

Aha!

Brave is a GUT booster, which makes it mostly useless, and the other chest holds a Miracle.

Let's see what these phantom stairs are all about.

This area is way too big.

In the upper right corner, we find one of my least-favorite oddities: regrowing grass. In three moves after being cut, this grass will spring up anew, which is a problem when there's a hidden button that we have to push this block on top of.

That's why bombs exist. With the power of delayed explosives, we can be shoving the block and clearing the grass simultaneously.

In order to get back into position when the block's nearing the top, we have to do the dreaded Double Bomb to clear the grass around the block away. This technique is not for the faint of heart.

All that for a ladder. It's a pretty nifty prize at the end of the ladder though.

In order to get there, we also have to flip this lever to open up a section of wall. If we're standing there when it moves, we will be dropped down, which could be considered a shortcut, depending on your point of view.

The other way of getting there is this flight of stairs which I walked past before.

Well, this doesn't look like a setup in the slightest.

Yup. The other two chests held a Hi-Potion and a Hi-Magic (upgraded Magic Jar).

Not a bad payoff, but in order to get out, we'll have to kill all the enemies.

Let's get to it.

You may have seen the crabs. They have amazing defensive power but their magic resistance isn't as awesome. The way to go with them is to use the Catfish Jewel, no question.

I suppose it goes without saying that if you shove a pillar into the water, you're not getting it back out. Try not to mess up.

Note: there's a hidden wall that you can only access by shoving the two remaining pillars into the water against this wall.

Ooh yeah! The Witch Ring is wonderful for Tia! I had to also go back for this one.

After going through that open section of wall and up the ladder we extended...

We find this beauty, filling out Maxim's equipment screen.

This floor, we'll want to do the lower right door and the stairs to the lower left first.

For reasons we'll see soon enough, we want to drain the water out of two areas.

The mirrored version of the last room actually has a surprise hidden underneath the bridge.

A secret passageway leading to another one of these things. When we actually have to start using Miracles, it'll be nice to stock up.

This will all make sense right about...

Now. If we hadn't drained the water down into those two pools, the two sections of the bridge wouldn't be connected, and we couldn't cross.

Let's just top off very quickly, and then we can encounter the boss.

: Didn't you pick up the key a little kid threw at you? We'd like it back, if you don't mind.

: It's mine now. I'll never let it go!

Can't say that we didn't ask.

The Regal Goblin can be a nasty little sucker, calling in goblin minions and attacking in the same turn. With 500 HP, it'd take a little while to contend with him and his cohorts at the same time.

That's why we're not going to let him have a turn.

Status effects don't show up on monsters, per se, but there are ways you can tell if they're afflicted. For instance, this guy would normally be bobbing side to side, but when he's asleep, he just goes up and down like this.

By the way, sleeping only has a chance of going away when someone hits you. It's not guaranteed. So...

Easy peasy. One quick Escape later, and we can move on.

: What's the matter?

: I'm from the town of Tanbel north of here. I came to Sundletan to do some shopping. I finished shopping and wanted to go home, but I couldn't find the key to the small shrine's door. I won't be able to return to Tanbel unless I find the key. My brother is probably worried.

: Oh, that key. I just found it.

By the way, you get a slightly different conversation if you got here before learning about Abel in the cave. I love this game's attention to detail.

: Thank goodness. You found the key. Now I can go back to Tanbel. Oh! If you are ever in Tanbel, please stop by. We run an inn there.

: Well then, I must be on my way.

: Go ahead.

: Thanks for all your trouble. Goodbye.

Well, that should set up the hook for the last update. By the way, how's Abel doing?

And the cycle continues.

Next Time: We finally make it to Tanbel, where we meet one of my favorite party members!

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 8, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

:crossarms:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Your libel is breaking my tables.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Note: it might be tempting to feed it something more valuable for up to eight ticks at a time (such as Jewels), but then it will start demanding items like that all the time and you're basically stuck until you can get more items of that value.

This is true, but easy to get around. If you feed them a valuable item, they'll start demanding equal quality items, but you can just feed them a few poo poo items (Potions, Charred Newts, Boomerangs...we're really talking the bottom of the barrel crap here) to reset their cravings. This also works for cycling through their specific requested items too - If they ask for a Battle Knife, and you give it to him, he'll start asking for something else. Toss him a few Potions and suddenly he'll start asking for a Battle Knife again, which you can feed him for the boost...Rinse and repeat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I never even had to do that as cravings seemed to reset fairly often if you just stuck to feeding them what they want. Feed them a craved item, wander around/get in a few fights and check if they want it again.

I never knew the Regal Goblin was open to sleep :psyduck:
That makes this fight so much easier.

The Regal Goblin can be a tough fight as while he only has a single target attack, he can call in more Goblins. And Goblin Mages. Who have a bundle of health (Catfish jewel isn't guaranteed to take them out in one shot) and know Spark.
I'm not sure if he can call in Goblin Soldiers as well but they're just beefier garden variety dudes and the Mages are the real threat.
Most of my failed attempts against him have been when he's summoned 2-3 Goblin Mages and they went to town mixing multi-target and single target Sparks.

Other than that it's a fairly decent dungeon and gives you some hints about how loot is hidden throughout the game. The grass-regrowing puzzle is fairly tame since it can't regrow in an already occupied space.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
You can actually have a Tier 3 monster before walking into the catacombs of the castle. The Bar in Sundletan sells Apple Cider for 1k a pop. Those give a point a cider going from Tier 2 to Tier 3.

Of course, if you have enough patience to grind up 32000 gold for that switch then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 8, 2015

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Just caught up in this. I'm one of the extremely few people who played the DS remake before playing the original Lufia 2. I actually really like both games, although the classic is probably better overall. At the very least, the characterization in the DS version is great (although most of the characters are completely different than they were in the original).

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I never knew the Regal Goblin was open to sleep :psyduck:
That makes this fight so much easier.

Not just open to sleep, quite possibly weak to it. I cast Drowsy three times during that fight and it didn't fail to hit once.

MagusofStars posted:

This is true, but easy to get around. If you feed them a valuable item, they'll start demanding equal quality items, but you can just feed them a few poo poo items (Potions, Charred Newts, Boomerangs...we're really talking the bottom of the barrel crap here) to reset their cravings. This also works for cycling through their specific requested items too - If they ask for a Battle Knife, and you give it to him, he'll start asking for something else. Toss him a few Potions and suddenly he'll start asking for a Battle Knife again, which you can feed him for the boost...Rinse and repeat.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

You can actually have a Tier 3 monster before walking into the catacombs of the castle. The Bar in Sundletan sells Apple Cider for 1k a pop. Those give a point a cider going from Tier 2 to Tier 3.

Of course, if you have enough patience to grind up 32000 gold for that switch then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Good points. I'll be doing the Apple Cider thing when I have enough of a cash basis for it. Getting a new Capsule Monster is a lot more tolerable when you have a supply of both Battle Knives and Apple Cider on hand to speed through their early development.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blastinus posted:

Next Time: We finally make it to Tanbel, where we meet one of my favorite party members!
Mine too. :allears:

While it makes sense for a kid to innocently take a key for a game and throw it away when something scares him, I do have to wonder why they have all these doors between towns.
I do like that Maxim at least asks for the key before attacking the goblin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blastinus posted:

All of the party members that have yet to join up are pretty great, but I don't think the next one is my favorite.

Ah, regrowing grass... enjoy it while it's still this easy to complete the puzzle!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The more you learn about the hosed up world Lufia is set in, the more you wonder just why everyone in Sundletan thought it was outlandish that a giant talking catfish might be causing the earthquakes.

(Lufia 2 ranks right up there beside Ogre Battle as my favorite SNES semi-RPGs that a lot of RPG fans missed until years later. Great game :worship:)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 8, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maxim is just using what worked on him as a kid. Or maybe what works on him now.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Eric the Mauve posted:

The more you learn about the hosed up world Lufia is set in, the more you wonder just why everyone in Sundletan thought it was outlandish that a giant talking catfish might be causing the earthquakes.

To be fair, the more you learn about any RPG, the more you have to wonder how their kingdoms are run.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Pardon the wait on the update. I would like to say that there were family issues or something similar, but I was just watching Awesome Games Done Quick. Update should be later on today.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Well, technically it's still today.

Chapter 7: Enter the Amazing Guy!

Oh hey, the next town's right here! That's convenient.

: I'm Maxim. And this is Tia.

: Hello!

: Thank you so much for what you did at the small shrine.

: Hilda, who are these people?

: They found the key when I was in trouble at the small shrine. This is Maxim and Tia.

: Glad to meet you.

: This is my brother, Guy.

: I hear you helped my sister at the small shrine. Thank you.

Uh, yeah, she just said that.

: Maxim, please stay here today. I'll cook something special for you.

: That's a great idea. I don't know about her other abilities, but her cooking is pretty good.

: And just what do you mean by that!?

: What are you saying? I manage the inn, cook, clean and even do laundry. You can't do anything!

: I do my own laundry!

: Yeah right! If tearing apart the clothes is called doing laundry, you do that really well, huh!?

: ......

: Ha, ha, ha!

: Yeah, I know what you mean.

: What?

: Never you mind. Ha, ha, ha!

: In any case, please stay today. Hilda, why don't you go and fix up something?

: Coming right up.

: Sure. I'd love to.

: See you then.

: They're so close. They appear to be nice people, too.

: Yeah.

Get used to these kinds of conversations about men versus women. They're not going away any time soon.

There are a few folks at the inn, including this girl. The fact that she has a unique sprite isn't anything to be concerned about.

We definitely want to hit up the Magic Shop when we're in town, since it has Gale and Flash, the starting spells for the ice and electric lines. We're in the part of the game where hitting elements is going to be important, so we'll want to cover all our bases.

We also want to pick up a Kukri for Maxim and our new mystery party member, since this weapon has an electric-based IP attack.

Why yes, we ARE about to fight a boss with an electricity weakness. Why do you ask?

I'm a bit high of a level for that, but sure.

: Well, let's get to it then!

: You'd better or you might end up getting hurt.

: You're that confident, huh!? Ok. Comin' at you!

: Guy! Monsters! Monsters are in town!

: What!?

: Wha...what the...!?

: Who are you?

: I'll introduce myself after, if you get all my henchmen!

: Guy, let's have our match after we take care of these punks, ok!?

: Good thinking! Let's clean up this scum!

This encounter uses the boss theme, but it really doesn't merit it. It does let us mess around with the battle formation though.

Lufia 2's formation is very straightforward. The two characters in the top row are in the front and take/deal more damage, while the characters in the back deal and take less. In order to maximize Guy's potential, we'll want him in the front.

And that's because our new fella is entirely spell-free. Guy cannot and never will use magic. His focus is entirely on hitting things.

To his credit, Guy does that job very well. Once we slap some rings and jewels onto him, he'll be outstripping Maxim for power.

: What the..? My men! Blast it!

: Hey, you're next!

: Rats in your eyes! I'll be back for you!

: Some interruption, huh. Well, are you ready?

: What!? Hilda? The scumbag!

: He ran to the Southeast Tower!

: Thanks!

: I'll go with you, Guy!

: The tower's full of monsters. It's too dangerous, but not for you, I guess. Let's go!

:toot:

Stat-wise, Guy is slanted entirely towards attack power. His speed is easily the worst of the team thus far and his magic resistance is...eh. Also, his intelligence is terrible, but since he can't learn magic, that's irrelevant.

That said, he'll be able to use heavier weapons and armor that Maxim can't wield and his HP will be always excellent. This is a game where both physical and magical characters can thrive, so he will be indispensable.

Now then, we have a date with a tower. We could actually go here before we met Camu, and there is a good reason to do that. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Taking the front way in the tower doesn't get us anywhere. We'll have to wait until we're done with the guy up top.

Right after we deal with these Newts and Scorpions. The Scorpions can use a Scissor attack to hit twice, so they're top priority in any fight.

Fortunately, they've a crippling weakness to water.

Going in a side room, we find this brain teaser. Stepping on the sigil makes buttons appear on all four sides, and we have to weigh them all down to proceed.

The other ones can be weighed down with blocks, but we have to grab a pot from the bottom of the room for the top one.

Next room, there's a goblin standing guard over a switch while another goblin patrols the edge of the carpet.

Imps sound pretty dangerous, since they have moves called Bestial Presence and Cold Shoulder. I've never actually let them live to use them though, so I can only assume that they're deadly.

Huh. There's light coming from that doorway.

Yup. The consistent theme of Tower-shaped dungeons is these balcony areas connecting parts of the floors. They're pretty neat.

This one may seem complicated but it's very simple. There are two sections of wall ahead, one with a light sigil in front of it and the other with a dark sigil.

Covering the dark sigil with a pillar opens both of them.

Told you it was simple.

Don't mind the skeleton guys. They shamble along so slowly, you have to be trying to get hit by them.

Another funny carpet. If you don't enter through the area the crab's guarding...

Yeah. Going back to the entrance of the room makes the wall disappear again, but the only way you're getting to that button is if you fight the crabs.

Hint: when the crab's walking sideways, that counts as its "front." Crabs always walk sideways.

Going south of the crab room and across this balcony, we find the switch here. If we didn't flip it, the walkway above would still be up and we'd have to backtrack a long ways.

Next puzzle room features a slab that we have to push a pillar onto.

Then we transfer the pots to their respective spots around the pillar.

Man, the commute must have been terrible when this tower was still in use.

We're going to be ignoring this staircase for now and going downwards instead.

It may look like nothing's here, but the dust coming off of this skull tells me otherwise.

Basically, if anything looks weird, blow it up.

Here's a really big room with next to nothing in it. Seriously, there's a whole bunch of right side with absolutely zero content except for a plaque with this puzzle's solution on it.

Each of these musical note blocks makes a specific noise that hints to what you have to do with it. From a sword swipe...

To the zip of an arrow, followed by a ding as it hits something metal...

To the boom of an exploding bomb.

Yet another case where we'd have had to do some serious backtracking if we hadn't gotten this first.

By the way, the big crabs are not only very lucrative, but they have a 10% chance of dropping a Power Potion every fight. Maxim is chugging those right down every chance he gets.

Ah, our old friends! We must be getting close!

Hmm...but first we'll need to extend that ladder.

Really gave this one away, did they?

Here's the clock in question. At 6:15, that makes the pillar the minute hand and the block the hour hand, so we want to put the pillar at the top and the block on the left. However...

What the game doesn't tell you is that turning the clock to midnight (or maybe noon) unlocks a hidden room. Believe me, I asked around in Tanbel, and nobody hinted at this secret solution at all.

The prize is definitely worth it.

The Jute Helmet actually protects against instant death spells. They don't show up now, and we'll have better headgear when they do appear, but it's an interesting feature.

This little text box is a little more annoying than it seems, because it scrolls automatically. If you press A to advance it, you'll just accidentally pull the lever again and retract the ladder.

Annoyances aside, it's time to get us a boss.

Nice setup!

: Hilda!!

: I applaud your efforts to have come this far.

: You! Why did you take Hilda? What did she ever do to you, huh!?

: Orders. You see, I had to check out the abilities of certain men. I considered your case a while...and came up with an idea - kidnapping your sister! You'd do anything to save her.

: That idea will cost you dearly, friend! Pick up your sword!

: Noisy, aren't we? Now it's time to see your real strength!

Just curious, what WAS his plan after getting a bunch of strong folks angry at him?

Camu is weak to electricity, which is handy, because he has 1500 HP! Considering what we were facing last time, this is a considerable step up.

In addition to this full-party attack, he can also use Sleep Stinger to put a single party member to sleep, summon more of his minions from before, or hit you directly to REALLY mess up your day.

If you don't have Tia on constant healing duty, this battle can get messy fast. Note that you can't heal your capsule monster with regular healing magic. Foomy is probably going to die this battle.

Or he'll flee when his health gets low enough. Capsule Monsters heal to full after every battle, but if they die or run before it's over, they don't get experience from the fight.

The near-constant barrage of attacks from Camu does wonders for raising Maxim and Guy's IP bars. They're both using Kukris, so dropping Thunder Blasts can speed up this battle.

Camu does have his own named jewel, but it had a 6% chance to drop and I got tired after my dozenth attempt at getting it. You really don't need it.

: But, don't...overestimate yourself...th...the time...will...come...

: What are you talking about!?

: This world...will be ruled by...Sinistrals. Soon, just wait...

: Rules by Sinistrals? What do you mean!?

: Ha, ha, ha! You people will...never leave here...No need to...know!

: The door just closed!

: Ha, ha, ha! You cannot escape!!!

I should mention that the screen is shaking regularly now for...reasons?

: Let's try to open the door! Guy, go get Hilda!

: Ok!

: Oh...I knew you would come...

: Of course. We're going to get out of here together.

: This doesn't look good! We haven't got all day!

We don't? Near as I can tell, the room's just shaking.

: You...you are the one I saw at the cave! But why?

: There is no time for conversation! I am warping us to Tanbel!

But Warp only works outdoors...aw, forget it.

: She once told me that I was destined to travel and fight.

: What a weird woman. Well, she saved us alright. I should thank her...Where is she?

: She's gone.

: What...is...she..?

: In any case, let's go back home. Hilda's a little hurt, too.

: Right.

: How's Hilda doing?

: She'll live. Wasn't hurt as badly as we thought. But she'll be out of it for a while.

The following scene is what really made me first like Guy as a character.

: Hey, Maxim. Who was that woman at the tower? Seemed like you knew her.

: That woman. You know, the one who told me I was destined to fight.

: Just what kind of woman is she, I wonder.

: Who knows. But she's good for us. She knows how to get rid of the magic cast on that door.

: Yeah. Anyone who can get to the top of that monster-ridden tower must be pretty strong.

: That's the way I figure it.

: To keep going. I got wind of something that...bothers me.

: You talking about the super beings out to rule the world?

: You got it. If they really exist, I'm going to have to meet them.

: And what do you do after you...meet?

: If this world is their target...I'll have to destroy them, won't I?

: We're talking super beings here, you know. You can't just walk on them like bugs.

See, unlike your typical fighter character, Guy actually thinks about things a lot.

: Sword to sword, I can win. And you, Sir Guy? Don't you feel the same?

: Ha! Of course! I won't be ordered about by anyone. Be ruled? No way, Maxim. Not me.

: So I thought. Listen, we've got to be moving on soon.

: Huh? Already? Well, I could...Nah. I should take it easy a while longer.

A lot of people pointed out in the thread that Maxim's character is largely centered in a desire for adventure and that all he really wanted was to be away from the mundane nature of life in Elcid.

: Jessy...

: What a beautiful woman she is. Who is she, Guy?

: Jessy. She's...uh...my...you know...

: Can't you say it straight out!?

Guy, meanwhile, has a reason to stay behind. Not only his sister, but...

: Hi. I'm Jessy. Guys girlfriend.

: Why, that's wonderful! Nice to meet you.

: Same here.

: Sir Guy's girl, huh?

: What do you mean? Can't I have a girlfriend?

: Oh, sure. I didn't mean anything by it.

: So, Jessy. What did you mean when you asked if I wanted to go...?

: You want to go, too, right? It was written all over your face.

: Well...but, I..

: If it's Hilda holding you back, don't worry. I'll take care of her.

: I would feel better if you were at her side. But, you and I...

: Oh, I'll miss you for sure. But you have to do what you have to do. You see...

I dunno, maybe I'm just an overly sentimental kind of person, but this sort of stuff makes me like Guy more as a character.

: Go, then. It's ok, Guy. I'm happy for you.

: Oh, Jessy.

: They're so close they can trust in each other and wait it out. Now that's true love.

Maxim, meanwhile, has only a hazy idea of what love is.

: Maxim! What on earth are you thinking?

: Oh! Uh...nothing, nothing at all.

: Well, I should tell you I'm not a waiting around type of woman.

Said comment will go right over Maxim's head.

: Maxim! I can go! I want to meet that super being. You'll let me in, right?

: You sure about this? I mean, it's a very dangerous journey.

: Dangerous journey? Is that all you can tempt me with?

: Sir Guy...

: You have to drop this Sir stuff. I mean, I'm part of the team now. We're equals, ok?

: I understand.

: No, no. You don't have to be so prim and proper. I mean, you can say, like, "Got it."

: Got it. Ok, then, let's get going, Guy!

: Let's do it, Maxim! Outta here, Tia!

I can only hope, but I don't think that's what they were going for with that line.

Uh...I'm pretty sure that he never left. But thanks for cementing it, I guess?

Anyway, before we head on to the next plotline, you remember those treasure chests at the top of the tower?

I really don't know what all that shaking was about, because everything's fine up here.

Funny thing: we could have gone up here before we'd even met Guy. Would have been a bit harder, but it was doable. Just wasn't any point to it, because whether we had it done it before or after Camu wouldn't have mattered.

Divine Cure is very expensive, but also very good. A full-party cure from IP skills is the only way to heal Capsule Monsters in battle.

This will drain a huge chunk of the IP bar as well, but there's an upcoming boss that will absolutely hate us for it.

And as for the Pearl Brace, combined with the Witch Ring, we're making Tia into a devastating force.

Next Time: Watch out, Foomy! A new challenger is approaching!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Other than That One Puzzle™, the hideous "Hahaha GOTCHA sucker, have fun backtracking most of the way through the dungeon!" design of some of the dungeons (like this one) brought me the closest I ever got to tossing my controller aside and finding something else to do.

Camu was the first boss in the game that handed me my rear end on my first playthrough :gonk:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Welp I had absolutely no idea that noon puzzle solution was a thing, somehow I keep learning new secrets about this game even now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I loved going for the Camu Jewel simply because of Buster Attack's awesome animation.
Camu also has another trick where he can summon Followers (palette swaps of the dudes he sic'd on the team in Tanbel) but unlike the Regal Goblin and his Mages, Followers are chumps. They share Camu's lightning weakness and don't have the HP to stick around long enough to cause problems. Plus they just hit someone for less damage than Camu's normal attack does. Camu summoning a Follower is a turn that he's not Buster Attack/Halberding the pain on. Halberd being a strong single target attack that will really hurt Maxim/Guy and put Tia at red/low health.

Also Guy! Guy's pretty great. He hits hard and has a bunch of HP so the lack of MGR is only an issue for Bosses that really want to kill you with spells/spell-like attacks.
Unlike in the first game who's resident 'cannot learn spells and has 0 MP growth' character could only attack or use items, this game gives Guy a wider weapon and armor selection with better stats and/or sweet IP abilities. Camu's armor is pretty awesome for a decent stretch of the game.
His characterization (while frontloaded) is pretty natural, understandable and completely honest. Guy ain't complicated and a lot of games would benefit from the approach to Guy's character taken here.

Didn't know you could hop in the tower before going to Tanbel but then again there really isn't anything stopping you from going into the tower itself. I know I've done some pre-plot mandated dungeon visits both in the Catfish Cave: "Where's the Catfish, he's supposed to be- did I forget to step into town!?" and in later dungeons. It just never occurred to me to do so here since I wanted Guy in my party ASAP.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Didn't know you could hop in the tower before going to Tanbel but then again there really isn't anything stopping you from going into the tower itself. I know I've done some pre-plot mandated dungeon visits both in the Catfish Cave: "Where's the Catfish, he's supposed to be- did I forget to step into town!?" and in later dungeons. It just never occurred to me to do so here since I wanted Guy in my party ASAP.

Yeah, this game can be pretty bad about its scripting. If you don't talk to someone, trigger a cutscene, or the like, you can reach the end of a dungeon and nothing will be there. Rule of thumb is you always talk to anyone who might be important in a new town before you leave, just to be safe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do the capsule monsters ever show up out of combat once you get them, or are they purely for fighting?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

ultrafilter posted:

Do the capsule monsters ever show up out of combat once you get them, or are they purely for fighting?

Just fighting. Matter of fact, after that grandiose introduction to Foomy, the rest of them will just be scattered in the far corners of the various dungeons we'll be running through. I didn't bother with any of them besides Foomy the first time that I played the game because I didn't know a) How to find them, and b) How to raise them out of their awkward Class 1 form efficiently. It might be a lot of fun to see their various strengths and specialties firsthand for this LP.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I wouldn't say it's bad about it's scripting it's just that it has a fairly obvious set of assumptions (town first -> talk to everyone -> dungeon) and a weirdly designed early-game progression with some dungeons doubling up as doors between segments of the game. The Catfish Cave is sorta there to lay out the rules of how things will be going forward and Aluntze reinforces that structure.

Then again the game only really punishes you for exploring where you shouldn't be yet by having you do those places over again. Otherwise it's pretty good at locking those areas off.

ultrafilter posted:

The only time you see their non-battle sprite is when you recruit them. They're pretty much a bonus since you can go through the game without recruiting any capsule monsters at all.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 11, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I too like Guy a lot, he's not my favorite, but he's great. He's so...normal compared to everyone else. In addition, he's not stupid and but no braniac either. His "normality" allows him to serve as a foil for a lot of other characters.
The changes made to him are probably my biggest reason to dislike the remake.

I also really like that scene with Jesse, it makes its point without going to far or staying to long.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Other than That One Puzzle™, the hideous "Hahaha GOTCHA sucker, have fun backtracking most of the way through the dungeon!" design of some of the dungeons (like this one) brought me the closest I ever got to tossing my controller aside and finding something else to do.

Camu was the first boss in the game that handed me my rear end on my first playthrough :gonk:

I kind of liked the 'do some backtracking for extra loot' stuff in the game, but I always found the fights fun for the most part and you usually had extra IPs that you'd just picked up so you felt like a badass using them to explode enemies.

Also turns out if kid you named the main character after the Final Fight character Guy for some weird reason then the dialogue gets loving confusing! :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was slightly confused by this update when you named Camu before the game had done so.

Also, the game teasing you with those top floor chests and then warping you out. :arghfist::mad:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

In a world of poo poo ruining mages, heroes, mad scientists, etc, Guy is just that, Some guy. This is what makes him amazing.

That chest stuff is a pile of cocks. :argh:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking about it, why did Maxim suddenly start calling him 'Sir Guy'? Does Guy look like a knight or something? Or is it yet another case of badly-translatable Japanese honorifics?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I think the thing is Guy is actually a knight or something like that?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Robodog posted:

I think the thing is Guy is actually a knight or something like that?

I just got the impression that Maxim respects anybody who's good at fighting. As far as I know, Guy is just a town guard at best.

As for whether he looks like a knight or not:

I dunno, I'd be convinced.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, it's been too long since I played the game, at first I confused Camu with another minion entirely, namely Idura. Camu just appears and then swiftly gets defeated, he's not memorable at all.

Moves like divine cure and other full-party heals can be really powerful. Sadly, the main game's fights are not very difficult, so it's easy to overlook. But these moves (especially if they restore MP as well) really shine in the optional dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

Blastinus posted:

This will drain a huge chunk of the IP bar as well, but there's an upcoming boss that will absolutely hate us for it.

Oh, yes. That wonderful Fire Dagger.

I have many painfulfond memories of dying horribly to that very boss, again and again... then discovering that I could come back up and get those chests, one playthrough, and murdering him like a chump with it.

• Locked thread