Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
All my extra money goes to NPR and Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I donated $3 which is nothing compared to how much i've gotten out of it. And the countless hours people have dedicated to the site. And the fact that there are no ads.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
if we all donated just $3, this fundraising goal would be met in 2 hours!

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
You can use $20 to give to an African charity that will perform a simple operation on a child's eye to prevent a lifetime of blindness, making a huge meaningful impact on a human life. Or you could give it to Jimbo Jones' anime facts site, owner of which is sitting pretty on several tens of millions already.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
how much would it really cost to keep the wikipedia rolling?

Vandalseed
Jun 21, 2013

Bringdowner
I'm a genetics researcher who is getting started in bioinformatics. I donated to Wikipedia because I can learn heaps about the basics of things like GPGPU, without having to go next door to ask the sperglords in Comp Sci and get called a retard.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
what do cloud companies do with their excess capacity? do they just have instances sitting idle waiting for someone to buy?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
700+dollars for a set of Encyclopedias that are rendered more and more obsolete with the passage of time.
or
Drop a few dollars to a Non-profit that constantly updates and checks information as it is happening.

Or, you can go for the Mystery Box!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
gently caress that, someone else will donate for me anyway

that's precious beer money

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ill take the mystery box

i hope theres a boat inside

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

also the "lol anyone can edit it!" crew should go falsify an obscure wikipedia article that legitimately nobody ever reads and see how fast it gets reverted and your ip gets banned from editing wikipedia for a year. it's pretty impressive how well the volunteer :spergin:s stay on top of that poo poo.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Donated 3 bucks once to assuage my guilt

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I tried to fix a spelling mistake on wikipedia before and some guardian angel blocked it even after I pointed out that I was new to wikipedia and was just trying to fix a small error.

First and last time I tried to actually do anything on it, gently caress em

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
no. wikipedia is loaded, they don't need more money..

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I don't donate to anything anymore. Made the huge mistake of donating to a political campaign circa 2008 and got put on every mailing list known to man; not sure how many I've unsubscribed to but political campaigns and causes keep the hands out begging me for money.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I don't know. I have never donated money. But I don' really care if they are millionaires who spend their money irresponsibly. I guess I wouldn't feel bad because ultimately they provide a great service and I use it so often. They deserve to be paid. Especially how millions is so puny compared to some other companies in the internet game. But whatever it's still free so I probably won't pay for it.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

John_A_Tallon posted:

Because when they get autistic hard-ons for a particular world view, instead of for being impartial and evenhanded, they're just as bad as any other group with an agenda.

Yeah apparently Wikipedia's ruling clique of fat autistic MRA activists gets hired to do PR work for clients, bans anyone who doesn't like it and freely creeps on anyone they think is female. If you're in the chubby neckbeard club, you can do whatever the gently caress you want and just say 'break every rule!' but if you're on the outs you get IP banned. It's a shithole and the people running it are garbage.

Don't give them any money.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tujague posted:

Yeah apparently Wikipedia's ruling clique of fat autistic MRA activists gets hired to do PR work for clients, bans anyone who doesn't like it and freely creeps on anyone they think is female. If you're in the chubby neckbeard club, you can do whatever the gently caress you want and just say 'break every rule!' but if you're on the outs you get IP banned. It's a shithole and the people running it are garbage.

Don't give them any money.

Citation Needed!
:goonsay:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Anyone remember that weird old guy at a goon meet a few years back? He was some 'big' Wiki editor and he carried around a stick and had a shirt with big holes in it. Someone snapped some pics of him at least.

That's kinda how I imagine all of them look.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I have Williams Syndrome. I hate wikipedia.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I use the site often enough to donate. I like to read about about arcane poo poo like this.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I wish they would just use ads so I could block them with AdBlock.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zeluth posted:

I use the site often enough to donate. I like to read about about arcane poo poo like this.

drat, they've even got a wikipedia article about this thread, that's amazing

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I'd donate money to a bidding war (all proceeds to Wiki) to permaban an editor of my choice.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i'm saving my money for when goons get off their asses and pitch in to buy that aircraft carrier/island

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I usually give the $3 they ask for during a donation drive

Most sites I'd never consider it but I look up stuff on wikipedia several times a day

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I wish they would just use ads so I could block them with AdBlock.

they sent me an e-mail

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I have, twice. 10 bucks or so last year and 5 this year. I look poo poo up like every year so I don't mind donating a little.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think they should charge users $10 in order to read and edit Wikipedia. I mean that's a business model we know works right?

Or there should be kickstarter style awards like "People who donate $50 or more are able to edit one article a year and have that change stay there for up to a week!" And "people who donate $100 or more can have their own Wikipedia page which won't be deleted even if they aren't notable figures!".

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Kitchner posted:

I think they should charge users $10 in order to read and edit Wikipedia. I mean that's a business model we know works right?

Or there should be kickstarter style awards like "People who donate $50 or more are able to edit one article a year and have that change stay there for up to a week!" And "people who donate $100 or more can have their own Wikipedia page which won't be deleted even if they aren't notable figures!".

this is probably going to happen one day.

then someone starts 'freewiki' or whatever.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

please dont spread this lies! please dont let them throw wikiipedia out to the cold street!

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone

Volume posted:

Some one must have right? BUt what kind of person is dedicated enough to wikipedia to donate to it?

what a dumb question, nobody would. that is like asking "who would donate to a hotdog man from bumfuck Alabama", am I rite guys?

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
I donate to wiki because I read it daily and it's voluntary i'm not even in school! :)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

calusari posted:

what do cloud companies do with their excess capacity? do they just have instances sitting idle waiting for someone to buy?

That is a good question. Usually the storage controllers are set up so disk can be expanded and allocated as needed, so there isn't an obscene amount in waiting.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I remember seeing banner ads asking to donate because "jimbo needs a new yacht"

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Serious post: because then the"controversy" section of the McDonald's Wikipedia page starts disappearing.

Who gives a poo poo? Not like Wikipedia doesn't have "special interest groups" and people way too invested in their topics editing and making sure "their" version of Wikipedia is "the" version of Wikipedia. I would not be shocked to learn that corporations hire people whose job it is to edit Wikipedia to make their companies look good.

Hell, Wikipedia should just flat out sell their pages. Let McDonalds edit the McDonalds page and charge them out the rear end for the privilege.

Wouldn't change much.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
Wikipedia freaks me out - it's like they're halfway between an evil corporation only interested in money and executive perks, and a free-for-all foundation with social responsibility.

Pick a loving side wikipedia, you're in uncanny valley.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I donated thirty bucks last year and I feel like I shouldn't have to give again, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Jombo posted:

Wikipedia freaks me out - it's like they're halfway between an evil corporation only interested in money and executive perks, and a free-for-all foundation with social responsibility.

Pick a loving side wikipedia, you're in uncanny valley.

They're an evil corporation masquerading as some kind of charitable group interested in "education" and it's not that hard to figure out.

• Locked thread