Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

The dub of Wings of Honniamise (did I spell that right?) is plenty good. I managed to see the sub of it and the Japanese voice actors are basically the same as in the dub.
God, that movie is so amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008
I watched ghost in the shell english dub, what does that make me?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I only watch dubs :twisted: come at me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Mad Archivist posted:

I only watch dubs :twisted: come at me

Same. ALso cromartie high has good english dubs

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

what's a good anime with good english dubs that I probably haven't watched?

wings of honneamise

idk if the dub is any good

e;fb

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

punkr0csux posted:

I watched ghost in the shell english dub, what does that make me?
Watch the dub of it with subtitles enabled. It's loving hilarious. The dub is just so atrociously bad. All kinds of added lines where no one said anything, profanity added to make it more "cool", clear and concise things a guy said turned into vague nonsense because they thought it would be more cool...

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you wanna stick to stuff for adults I recommend the miniseries Paranoia Agent or the movies Perfect Blue orPaprika which are all psychological thrillers basically (and all by the same director)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I'M SO SORRY

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

part of the "fun" of liking anime is knowing that only like 10% of it is any good at all and spending years waiting for the next good one

you can always tell who's been into anime for years because they barely watch anything

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

d0s posted:

you can always tell who's been into anime for years because they barely watch anything
yeah, the newest anime i've seen is samurai champloo. i've really lapsed.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

d0s posted:

part of the "fun" of liking anime is knowing that only like 10% of it is any good at all and spending years waiting for the next good one

The last bigtime Yankee TV anime I liked was Death Note and that was like seven yrs ago now

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
it appears to be by and large cheaply produced garbage for weirdos

jeeves please perform a search of the anime database for keywords "hyperviolence" and "giant robots"

hmmm yes

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

jeeves please perform a search of the anime database for keywords "hyperviolence" and "giant robots"
Hmmmmm, how about those of us who have always hated both of those things, yet were always drawn to anime anyways. Hmmmm.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Prettz posted:

Hmmmmm, how about those of us who have always hated both of those things, yet were always drawn to anime anyways. Hmmmm.

you posted a touhou in here so you're probably one of the bad ones, sorry

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

d0s posted:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Spanish Manlove posted:

Same. ALso cromartie high has good english dubs
and panty and stocking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfmv7ZBpbAI

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

d0s posted:

you posted a touhou in here so you're probably one of the bad ones, sorry
Touhou is all about little girls... it doesn't involve either hyper violence or giant mechas.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Prettz posted:

Touhou is all about little girls... it doesn't involve either hyper violence or giant mechas.

:razz:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

d0s posted:

the last anime i watched was back in june, and it was serial experiments lain again

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harime Nui posted:

Actually, she's 19, Nonon is 18, Ryuuko and Mako are 17, and Nui is technically the youngest major female character clocking in at 16 :pseudo:

I could have sworn Nonon and Satsuki were the same age.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

forbidden lesbian posted:

the last anime i watched was back in june, and it was serial experiments lain again
Hmmmm, tell me more

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i'm watcing zeta gundam :geno:

it has a good op https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGBw4uCZ4hA

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

d0s posted:

"Camille.....? That's a GURRLZ NAME..... but that kid looks like a BOYYY" :haw:

Jared - greatest hapless mook of all time IMO

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Here OP:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

d0s posted:

I watched that for 30 seconds: super loving gay, super loving japanese, super loving giant gay-rear end mecha. that 30 seconds of video I watched is everything I hate about anime.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any good animes out there with more realistic looking Mechs like the Gears from MGS?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Alexzandvar posted:

Are there any good animes out there with more realistic looking Mechs like the Gears from MGS?
Patlabor 2? It's really dry though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Please PM or post a big list of anime worth watching. Thanks.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Alexzandvar posted:

The show Gasaraki tried really hard in its first few episodes to be what you're talking about, then it failed, and crashed hard. I don't know what MGS faggotry you're talking about, but *sort of* realistic mecha do exist in the Heavy Gear universe. Most of the Gears are basically one step above large exoskeletons. The whole thing is massively Japanese-influenced, but not Japanese. Heavy Gear 2 was an awesome game.

Al Cowens posted:

Patlabor 2?
I think implied in his question was "not giant mecha human being poo poo."

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Well he did say "more realistic like the gears from MGS" and actually good thus Patlabor 2 and not... Gasaraki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMTpSDAGxM

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

"Understand anime" -- Tomboys, everything to do with them.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Everything

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Please PM or post a big list of anime worth watching. Thanks.

Akira

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

smoobles posted:

i like lots of animated stuff, such as futurama and currently rick and morty, but i've never felt compelled to put it in my avatar or masturbate to it

what's different about anime? what makes an "anime fan" so extreme?

i didn't read thread, it was started after ww2 when we destroyed japans ability to make real movies. Early anime all the way up to the 80's was made for mostly normal people then, it became less popular and then they completely began to cater to autist and perverts because that's where the money currently is.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Did someone say Akira?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Prettz posted:

Hmmmm, tell me more

i have to watch ti on a laptop, this is literally me while im watching

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

i have to watch ti on a laptop, this is literally me while im watching