Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko

Triathlons seem like alot of fun, however I haven't got anywhere to swim, and a good training bike is just too expensive for me. So in the meantime, I train for Marathons, and possibly Ultra-Marathons. Does anyone else here do anything like this...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

sometimes I post, play video games, and smoke weed in the same day

Matoi Ryuko

i am he posted:

sometimes I post, play video games, and smoke weed in the same day

That's really way too much work for me...I gotta keep it simpler, you know?

i am he

have you run a marathon before? what was it like?

Synathaesia

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

I have several friends who run a lot of triathlons, but I'm not fit enough to do it with them

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
you can always tell who has run a marathon

thanks Manifisto!

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
26.2 y'know

thanks Manifisto!

I.N.R.I
ive only done one (4th). it was olympic distance , and the swimming part is my least favourite thing ive ever done cos it was in the north sea in friggin october. i was literally dead last when i got out of the water. :P

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

ive only done one (4th). it was olympic distance , and the swimming part is my least favourite thing ive ever done cos it was in the north sea in friggin october. i was literally dead last when i got out of the water. :P

Ah, I've never seen the ocean!!

I.N.R.I
by the way , i didnt train specifically for it. if youre fit and u fundamentally know how to swim, how to run with good form, and how to ride a drat bike, then you should just go ahead and enter one. the best way to learn how to race is to enter races .. the training can follow.

Matoi Ryuko

I need a vacation or something...swimming in the sea sounds INTENSE and I haven't even seen one!

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I need a vacation or something...swimming in the sea sounds INTENSE and I haven't even seen one!

be careful!

thanks Manifisto!

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

by the way , i didnt train specifically for it. if youre fit and u fundamentally know how to swim, how to run with good form, and how to ride a drat bike, then you should just go ahead and enter one. the best way to learn how to race is to enter races .. the training can follow.

I'm not really sure how long of a distance you have to swim actually?

Matoi Ryuko

I googled it and it said it's 1.5km swimming?

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

it depends on the triathlon .. in the one i entered, which was "olympic" distance, the swim was a mile

Matoi Ryuko

I thought triathlons were like 20k swimming.

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That's why I was like "I think I'd need to train for that first...or I might die!"

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

that would take like 5 hrs or something

K. Flaps

by Athanatos
I did 3 sprint triathlons and one olympic one.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

400 -750m for sprint, 1.5km for olympic distance

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

K. Flaps

by Athanatos
If you want to try out a triathlon just look for a sprint distance without open sea swimming. People can finish those in grandma bikes and water wings.

----------------

Matoi Ryuko

I looked up some triathlons and the next one is in april, everything before then is indoor triathlon.

K. Flaps

by Athanatos

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I looked up some triathlons and the next one is in april, everything before then is indoor triathlon.

That sounds boring. Part of the fun is being outdoors imo.

----------------

Master Stur

chasin' tail
I am not doing any races until spring. My knee needs time off :(

Matoi Ryuko

K. Flaps posted:

That sounds boring. Part of the fun is being outdoors imo.

Yeah it sounds more like just a triathlon training event.

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

that would take like 5 hrs or something

Now that's what I'm talking about...did you hear about the lady who swam from Cuba to Florida?

K. Flaps

by Athanatos

Master Stur posted:

I am not doing any races until spring. My knee needs time off :(

I'm on a time-off from racing too because of my shoulder :hfive:

----------------

Piso Mojado

I trained for a while but am a terrible swimmer, so I ended up doing one where there was just running and cycling. Highly recommend it as it will get you used to the formalities of racing while you still train on swimming.

also - I went to the YMCA and talked to some swimmers there that are helping me, recommend you do the same if you have a YMCA around.

Master Stur

chasin' tail

K. Flaps posted:

I'm on a time-off from racing too because of my shoulder :hfive:

:hf: Just going to keep it to low impact cardio and stick to weights mostly!

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Now that's what I'm talking about...did you hear about the lady who swam from Cuba to Florida?

shes brave

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I wish I could breathe and get out of bed.

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

shes brave

She's superhuman...that's like the densest stinging jellyfish area in the world.

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

She's superhuman...that's like the densest stinging jellyfish area in the world.

thats why shes brave. :P

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

thats why shes brave. :P

I love her.

Matoi Ryuko

She is my heroine.

I.N.R.I
nothing impresses me more than the type of person it takes to win the tour de france though.. those people r literally one in a billion.

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

nothing impresses me more than the type of person it takes to win the tour de france though.. those people r literally one in a billion.

So there's 7 of them out there...maybe you're one of them too.

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

So there's 7 of them out there...maybe you're one of them too.

thank u. i really believe i am , but im nowhere near that level now.

Master Stur

chasin' tail
To be one of the seven you need to dope

Matoi Ryuko

Master Stur posted:

To be one of the seven you need to dope

The dopest of the dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps

by Athanatos
You need to dope in order to be at the top of any sport.

----------------

• Locked thread