Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the Vikings this season. After Peterson hosed off this year was about how Bridgewater and Zimmer would do, and I'm excited for next season because of what they showed.

Teddy improved throughout the season, and his overthrows especially became less of a problem as it progressed. Zimmer's credited Norv and the weight trainers for that. What Teddy does well he does consistently, reading the field, and moving in the pocket. What I really love though, especially after this week of Brown's hits, are quotes like this about him.

“The thing the veterans really respect and appreciate about Teddy is the way he prepares, the way he studies, the way he cares about his job, and I think the way he loves playing this game,’’ Zimmer said. “I know you guys don’t see him in practice … he missed maybe two throws in practice (earlier this week.) He practices to be perfect in the games as well.’’

That's another thing I've loved about Zimmer. For years the excuse given for why he wasn't getting a head coaching job was he's a bad interview. Combined with how he had a reputation for being hard on players I didn't know what to expect there. But consistently he's dealt with the media well, articulated his points, and has maintained the attention of the entire team. Patterson has had a terrible sophomore season, but a few weeks ago they both publicly talked about them sitting down and discussing what was going on, and both left that conversation supportive of each other. I don't think he's going to be a guy who's better off as a coordinator.

Speaking of that, after years of Bevels and Musgraves, Turner has been a boon. By all accounts he and Zimmer have a great relationship, and Turner doesn't sound interested in trying the head coaching thing again anytime soon. I'm relived we got a qb like Bridgewater the same time we got a coach who could actually help him develop.

Zimmer's impact on the defense and especially the young guys was evident. Barr was a badass before he got hurt, and he was considered a project when he was drafted. Griffen was surprisingly worth the contract, Smith and Rhodes look like an exciting half of a secondary, and just in general play improved because they weren't using an outdated Cover 2 system.

The WR group is a weird mix of potential and careful expectation. Jennings is a nice guy to have if overpaid, Wright and Johnson both showed flashes, and then there's Patterson who flopped this year. All the coaches seem to think he just needs to be more consistent, and I'm hoping he gets it together because he has a lot of potential. I'll be worried if Johnson continues into next season as the number 1, but for a guy who came in during the season off the Brown's practice squad he was fun to root for.

Negatives are the o-line is just a mess and I don't know what to do with Matt Kalil. He's getting worse every year, and it's so frustrating because having a young stud LT to go with the new QB would have been perfect. Charlie Johnson won't go away, and Loadholt just is what he is at this point and I guess the Vikings are okay with that. Obviously with the injuries this year it's clear that depth is an issue as well.

The Vikings also need something else in the running game. McKinnon had some good games, and Asiata has a specific but useful skillset, but I don't think either are a lead back. McKinnon's young though, and if he's the number one week one it'd be a great surprise. I'm still expecting a 3-4 round pick at HB though.

I'm optimistic for the direction of this Vikings team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If you told me going into the year that the Browns would finish 7-9, I'd have been very happy.

But the way they did it was just so, so lovely. Our hopes for the future depend on Alex Mack, a player that we almost let walk and whose injury ruined our offense in every facet of the game, turning Johnny Manziel into a good QB.

:smith:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Overall the Giants ended this season with a worse record than last year but not really worse as a team. The Giants have major problems but are still treading water above a full rebuild. We only beat one team with a winning record (Houston) and only lost to one team with a losing record (jax). Essentially the definition of average.

Eli had one of his best seasons. He tied his career high TDs, had the best completion % of his career, threw for 4000 yards, and generally just bounced back. He'll never be an all star, but rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Beckham is a godsend and I love him. Randle had a good final game but is a #3 at best. Cruz might never be the same but if he's close him and OBJ should be great. Parker was good for depth. Larry Donnell has potential, but has a big fumble problem and I'm not sold on him. The O-line got better but wasn't an all-pro line or anything, still probably below average. Andre Williams got better as the season went on, Jennings got worse. I like Williams and if he can work on his pass blocking and catching he could be good for years.

The defense was the problem this season. Teams with solid offenses just tore us apart. Rolle took a step back, DRC was perpetually hurt, and most of our DBs got hurt. Safety was a problem. Linebacker was a problem, although Devon Kennard the rookie balled out at the end. D-line was hit or miss. JPP had a good season but we are losing him to free agency. Hankins is great. Demontre Moore still hasn't come together. Ayers was great when he played, Kiwi sucked.

Our defense was very hurt this year and pur lack of depth hurt is big time. If this season needs a casualty though it should be Perry Fewell, he seemed unable to use the right players we had. I want Coughlin back. He's still a good coach and he deserves the final year on his contract. McAdoo was a good hire. Tom Quinn shouldn't have a job but I doubt he goes anywhere. Giants fans want Reese gone but I disagree. Not his fault everyone gets hurt. He's not the best GM but we could do so much worse.

Its hard to properly gauge a season when you are the most injured team in the league by far, so much could have been different. A disappointment for sure, but we need another year before we know whether to blow it all up.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 29, 2014

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Season's Over Because Everyone Involved With My Team Is Retarded or Just Kinda Retarded.

Farewell Jim.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
This season was kinda frustrating because the Chargers looked pretty decent, but once injuries started settling in, the team started sputtering big time, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The interior o-line was pretty bad for most of the season, with center being a depressing stream of injured dudes constantly - the Bolts went through like five on the year. Nick Hardwick is going to retire after this year (he's already lost most of his playing weight) and Jeromey Clary is also gone most likely, so that leaves FA and the draft for the team to address the interior spots. Chad Rinehart and Johnnie Troutman are backup quality guards at best and Chris Watt tried, but in no way is he ready to play center. DJ Fluker struggled mightly this year, dude is a mauler but speedy pass rushers gave him fits constantly - both Von Miller and Justin Houston just abused him in their respective meetings with the Chargers. I'm not going to write him off by any means but it was a tough year for him. King Dunlap had some bad games but overall was the best Chargers lineman this year, he deserves a decent contract from the FO since his current one is up.

All of this, plus losing Danny Woodhead as a quick receiving option out of the backfield, adds up to an offense that struggled pretty badly. The Chargers' running game was pretty bad, partly due to a stream of injuries at the RB positions but also due to the line not being able to open holes at all. The injuries made it so the Chargers couldn't block a-gap blitzes at all, so teams shut down Philip Rivers and the rest of the passing game once opposing teams just started blitzing up the middle - the Patriots completely stifled the offense a few weeks ago on SNF by doing exactly that. Rivers played tough this year but was beset by his injuries and the bad line.

The defense was actually decent this year. The Chargers didn't get an overwhelming amount of sacks but they consistently put pressure on QBs not named Manning, with the secondary being the best it's been in a few years. Brandon Flowers had a very nice season for San Diego, and Justin Verrett looked like a stud before he tore his shoulder labrum. Eric Weddle is still one of the better safties in the league. ILB was a mixed bad, Donald Butler had a rough year but Manti T'eo looked decent when he was healthy. The biggest thing the Chargers need on defense is a NT, Sean Lissemore is adequate but undersized and this team needs a NT who can command double teams, something they haven't had consistently since Jamal Williams.

Bottom line is that this team desperately needs to shore up the offensive line. Philip Rivers is still one of the best QBs in the league but as the year wore on, he had increasingly little time to throw and he's had an injured back for the last month. Receiving options are mostly fine even though Gates and Floyd are old - the line was just the bulk of the problems the offense had this year. Again, shore that up and grab a decent NT, keep Flowers and Liuget, and I can see some nice things happening next year. Fortunately they have some available cap space for Tom Telesco to work with.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
loving finally

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I predicted 8-8.

We finished 8-8.

I said Philbin might save his job even if we miss the playoffs if Tannehill showed enough progress.

Tannehill showed progress and Philbin is safe.

Got exactly what I expected.

Hail Satan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What all pro player will the Jets miss out on in the draft because they won 2 meaningless games against bad teams in December?

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Season's over because the Bears are dogshit. Trestman loves calling the same screen passes and nothing else. Cutler still thinks its a good idea to throw into double or triple coverage. The O-line is trash that can't consistently protect the QB or run block worth a poo poo. The amazing "weapons" we have for receivers dropped lots of passes, jogged their routes, and generally seemed to struggle against zone coverage. Lots of drive-killing penalties this year, mostly from the O-line and occasionally from receivers. I have no idea how this same group and coaching staff was the second highest scoring offense in the NFL last year.

The special teams unit doesn't understand that you should take a knee when you receive a punt all the way in the back of the endzone, a thing that literally every other team seems to understand.

The best player in the secondary is a rookie with a broken hand. Shea McClellin is garbage, Lance Briggs checked out early in the season, Charles Tillman can't stay healthy. Jeremiah Ratliff is a stud and Christian Jones shows a lot of potential, so there's that I guess. Don't really expect much from next season, hopefully they can find a way to become at least competent.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I predicted the Chiefs would be 6-10 at best and ended up 9-7. Not disappointed they missed the playoffs, as they didn't belong in them.

Zero touchdowns from all the WR's on the team for an entire season is really, really bad. Anything besides WR as the Chiefs first draft pick would be a total disappointment.

Eric Fisher is still not a good LT, both guard spots are a tire fire and they need a new Right Tackle.

Defense looked good considering 2 players blew out their Achilles in the first game and Eric Berry may be done playing forever. They performed really well considering the injuries and the steep decline from Tamba Hali. Dorsey needs to find some upgrades in the secondary and some rotation at NT as Dontari Poe is still racking up far too many snaps.

The Chiefs will finally have a good pool of draft picks available and I feel good about them improving next year. :) RIP Chiefs season for now

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

LiquidFriend posted:

Zero touchdowns from all the WR's on the team for an entire season is really, really bad. Anything besides WR as the Chiefs first draft pick would be a total disappointment.

If they had drafted one of the great rookie WR's this year they'd have so many more options.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Vikings this season. After Peterson hosed off this year was about how Bridgewater and Zimmer would do, and I'm excited for next season because of what they showed.

Teddy improved throughout the season, and his overthrows especially became less of a problem as it progressed. Zimmer's credited Norv and the weight trainers for that. What Teddy does well he does consistently, reading the field, and moving in the pocket. What I really love though, especially after this week of Brown's hits, are quotes like this about him.

After years of T. Jackson, Christian Ponder, and Matt Cassel it feels good to have a decent QB. I don't think Bridgewater is the next Peyton Manning but he's solid and just needs a good team around him.

Cut Matt Kalil

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

:(

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Jed York is a rich little bitch boy, I hope his stadium burns down.

We have shitcanned every good coach we've ever had.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

If they had drafted one of the great rookie WR's this year they'd have so many more options.
Dee Ford will probably end up being a good pass-rusher and everything, but my head still hurts trying to figure out why they just felt like they didn't need to draft any receivers.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vikings looked like a team on the upswing this year. Too bad, I've really enjoyed cheap tickets to the outdoor stadium.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
What a year. My 49ers are full of douchebags and criminals of the assault/rape variety. The Cowboys (yes, the motherfucking Cowboys!) have players I like. And the Seahawks and Ravens are both in the playoffs which means that God is angry at me.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Vikings looked like a team on the upswing this year. Too bad, I've really enjoyed cheap tickets to the outdoor stadium.

Well they're still playing at the U next year. Also I'm amazed how easy it is to get on and off campus on game-days so I don't actually dread it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A couple of weeks ago, the Browns led the AFC North.

Today, the Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals will all make the playoffs. The Browns will sit at home.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Considering the Raiders started off the season 0-9 I am happy with things. I love Mack, I think Carr will be a good QB, and I have hope that we will sign a good coach. This team is a good draft away from 8-8 and dare I dream, 9-7?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

Eric Fisher is still not a good LT, both guard spots are a tire fire and they need a new Right Tackle.

I thought Fulton showed enough that I feel sort of hopeful about him developing into something half decent. Plenty of dumb stuff out of him too though of course.

My offseason O-Line plan includes not signing players who weren't good enough to make the Colts line.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I think Oakland will get Rex Ryan. They get a good coach, Ryan gets to take over a team on the upswing, they may or may not move to LA (high-profile), and he would get to groom Mack into a star.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

Well they're still playing at the U next year. Also I'm amazed how easy it is to get on and off campus on game-days so I don't actually dread it.

Yeah, but if they're winners next year tickets won't be cheap =(

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

SquirrelyPSU posted:

A couple of weeks ago, the Browns led the AFC North.

Today, the Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals will all make the playoffs. The Browns will sit at home.

Only the Browns could have their best record in seven years and be the only team in their division NOT to make the playoffs.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Idiot Kicker posted:

I think Oakland will get Rex Ryan. They get a good coach, Ryan gets to take over a team on the upswing, they may or may not move to LA (high-profile), and he would get to groom Mack into a star.

Please no, I would like to continue liking Rex Ryan.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LiquidFriend posted:

Please no, I would like to continue liking Rex Ryan.

You could always like him instead of horse face oval office, but to each their own.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I can't even begin to give a poo poo about the Redskins at this point, especially if they keep Haslett or fire Gruden.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
The only feel good I have about this season is the sewage system backing up in the Georgia dome and flooding the Falcon's locker room with piss and poo poo. It's a pretty worthy ending to this season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Is there any point for the Bears even continuing to play football? They have no hope to hire an even mediocre coach, they are capable of only being not terrible at one phase of the game in any given season, everyone hates Jay Cutler except for me, the ownership is a bunch of idiots, and they have no chance of making the playoffs until Rodgers retires. Just move the team.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The Eagles went 10-6 same as last year. Except this time we don't go to the playoffs. We are officially the best of the non-playoff teams.

By the same token, we didn't deserve to make the playoffs given all our fuckups over the year. It's really disheartening starting 4-0 and then being 9-3 and 3-0 in the division and finishing 10-6 and 4-2 in the division.

Fire Bradley Fletcher and Cary Williams and pray there are corners out there. Do that and we should be a terrifying team.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Our defense is good, our offense is really bad. Same old poo poo. Fire Schottenheimer and find a good QB

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bye Jim.

I guess it's back to the cellar with us unless we get a decent coach.

C'mon Rex, you know you want to work with Willis, Bowman, and Borland.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Bye Jim.

I guess it's back to the cellar with us unless we get a decent coach.

C'mon Rex, you know you want to work with Willis, Bowman, and Borland.

The idea of Rex Ryan coaching Kaepernick's make or break year as a QB in the NFL is just a laugh riot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eagles :smith:

Their implosion was soul-crushing, which coincidentally is what I would trade for some DBs

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Browns won more games than normal but probably too many to draft a good qb.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The idea of Rex Ryan coaching Kaepernick's make or break year as a QB in the NFL is just a laugh riot.

This was Kaep's make or break year and he broke down like an old Scirocco.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'm writing a fanfiction where the Raiders sign Goku and make the super bowl

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DOOP posted:

Eagles :smith:

Their implosion was soul-crushing, which coincidentally is what I would trade for some DBs

Prior to the Seahawks game I thought we would be the #1 seed. Now we're not in the playoffs. December collapses suck.

But at least it's obvious what the problem is. Fixing the secondary seems to be the only thing we need to do. Maybe getting some more running backs? I dunno.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

i feel like KC would have taken Marqise Lee had they not taken Dee Ford, and he's like the lone rookie WR who didn't tear it up, so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Browns won more games than normal but probably too many to draft a good qb.

Well unless you want Jameis you'd need to be first overall for a decent QB that they won't be able to grab at 12. Also there might be all but one Mariota on the board at 12.

• Locked thread