Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

ryan leaf at least had the physical skills to be an NFL quarterback

Right.

That's my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
What does Hoyer really do for the Browns? He's not good, his best case scenario is something like what Orton did in Buffalo this year. He won't be their quarterback of the future whether Manziel works out or not. It's probably better to tank with Manziel, be crystal clear he needs to be replaced, and have a high draft pick to do it with than limp to a 6-10/7-9 record with Hoyer.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

Cutting bait on a drafted quarterback after one year is the Brownsiest thing ever. Give him at least a couple. Hoyer is decent enough to be a top 20 Quarterback in the NFL, if inconsistent.

If he still sucks/doesn't learn after 2016? Absolutely, cut him and start over again, but one year is way too early to tell if someone is going to be bad or not.

While I tend to agree they also cut bait on Trent Richardson after a year and that turned out pretty good.

e: well technically 2, forgot that 2nd year was when he tore his ACL

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ostentatious posted:

Cutting bait on a drafted quarterback after one year is the Brownsiest thing ever.

Literally less than 12 months from the owner tossing out a consultant firm's opinion (that he paid 6 figures for) to follow a hobo's advice.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

ryan leaf at least had the physical skills to be an NFL quarterback

A crippling drug addiction isn't a skill

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

Way to invalidate the 80's :mad:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Intruder posted:

Actually I think that might be the one NFL skill Johnny Football has. Good job browns! Great scouting!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Spoeank posted:

Literally less than 12 months from the owner tossing out a consultant firm's opinion (that he paid 6 figures for) to follow a hobo's advice.

I think this is my all time favorite NFL story. It's so completely unbelievable on any level and then it is actually true that a billionaire owner took drafting advice from a hobo.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Intruder posted:

ahem

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Am I crazy for thinking that the only way that JFF might be redeemable is to throw him out there next season and make him sink or swim?

As it is, he's just loving off and not doing poo poo. I really don't think that he's somehow going to redeem himself while riding the bench and avoiding all responsibility?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So the Jaguars went 3-13 and were poo poo but they actually have some good young talent, this year was better than last year even if it didn't show in the win/loss column and they've got $60M in the bank motherfucka let's make it rain

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

poo poo. With 60 million available you could outbid everyone for OG Iupati, OT Doug Free plus WR Maclin and still have some money to spare.

Although...

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans are awful. Blowing the team up and starting all over is the only answer. I can't think of a single positive thing from this season.
I don't think there is any move we could make for the next two years that get us anywhere near a .500 season.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I feel like Bortles coasted on a lot of TFF goodwill when he was better than expected for the first few games he started, because he was really bad for most of the year and people don't seem to bring it up much.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Grozz Nuy posted:

I feel like Bortles coasted on a lot of TFF goodwill when he was better than expected for the first few games he started, because he was really bad for most of the year and people don't seem to bring it up much.

Yeah it owns how people didn't like him during the 2013 season, were lukewarm around the draft, and then somehow people started to like him just because of his name. I enjoyed watching him flounder. With that said...

Hard to tell what he is though. He was terrible on a terrible team. Their OL is dog poo poo and their leading rusher had like 600 yards. Sign the FA's I talked about earlier, draft best OL in the first, best RB available in the second, and hope the two WR's from last year pan out?

edit: $60 million in an extremely good FA class has huge potential

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Obviously the solution for the Browns is to replace Manziel with RoboShaw.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LOL at you guys dumping Manziel after 1.5 games.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

JT Jag posted:

So the Jaguars went 3-13 and were poo poo but they actually have some good young talent, this year was better than last year even if it didn't show in the win/loss column and they've got $60M in the bank motherfucka let's make it rain

I don't know man. The Jaguars seem to have a roster of nobodies.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Pretty much no one gave a poo poo about rookie QBs this year for more than a few weeks. Manuel just happened to only play later in the season so its sticking in everyone's minds now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That Works posted:

LOL at you guys dumping Manziel after 1.5 games.

There were 3 games where the team actually needed him. Of those: 1 had him play historically awfully; 1 had him get hurt and IR'd while playing very badly; and 1 had him (while IR'd) throw a party that directly affected the team and caused Gilbert to be benched, their star receiver Gordon to be suspended, and all of them to already be on their last strike with the team.

Dude's had 1 year, played in 1.5 games, and is already on his last strike with the team, yet people are still stumbling over themselves to say "oh he's not that bad, all his off-field stuff must be exaggerated, he can't be that bad" :allears:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Browns won more games than normal but probably too many to draft a good qb.

Not sure there are good QBs this year. And if they are they won't survive the Browns.

The Browns continue to brown in every way possible. I say move the team, sell the owners and management, start over after cleansing the ground the current stadium is built on. Excorcism, salt, nuke...

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 2, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chris James 2 posted:

There were 3 games where the team actually needed him. Of those: 1 had him play historically awfully; 1 had him get hurt and IR'd while playing very badly; and 1 had him (while IR'd) throw a party that directly affected the team and caused Gilbert to be benched, their star receiver Gordon to be suspended, and all of them to already be on their last strike with the team.

Dude's had 1 year, played in 1.5 games, and is already on his last strike with the team, yet people are still stumbling over themselves to say "oh he's not that bad, all his off-field stuff must be exaggerated, he can't be that bad" :allears:

This is all true.

The only thing I am saying is that he could probably use like... maybe half a season or something of actual starts to really say if he's worthless or not.

Especially with a club like the Browns who have basically proven that they cannot reliably pick up QBs from the draft anyway. Might be better to give the guy some time and be more certain. They tried that this year with Hoyer and the only thing I saw from him was that as the season went on he wasn't the answer.

I don't have high hopes for him personally, but giving him less than 3 games (all other factors not included) seems a bit too quick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grozz Nuy posted:

A good part of it is not very many people watch Jaguars games and the national media pretty much ignored him because of it. Combine that with the dearth of talent on their offense and he pretty much gets to pull the Sam Bradford card. Considering how the Gus bus is going, he'll get next year to show signs of life on offense, or will probably be out with the expected coaching change.

----------------------------

As for Manziel, dude had a truly horrific first go at it. I could post some comparables, but at the end of it, you have to give him a full season and see if he can unfuck himself. Do I believe he'll do that? Probably not, and realize a ton of people follow that and immediately cut to writing him off now. Best go of it is bring in like a Sanchez or someone in free agency proven to not be the answer as a backup, so there's a fallback option, but nothing people will push for over Johnny starting.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

We're going to draft Mariota and he's going to bust

We will pass on a good oline prospect

Our defense will improve and our offense will regress

It's a Bucs life

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

Best go of it is bring in like a Sanchez or someone in free agency proven to not be the answer as a backup, so there's a fallback option, but nothing people will push for over Johnny starting.

Sanchez had a few games where he looked not awful this past season. What you need is someone like Pickles who has literally never had a good game or highlight.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

We're going to draft Mariota and he's going to bust

We will pass on a good oline prospect
In fairness, "good oline prospects" have been busting nearly as often as the QBs have been the past couple years.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

Sanchez had a few games where he looked not awful this past season. What you need is someone like Pickles who has literally never had a good game or highlight.

Somewhere a bears fan is saying clausen needed a full camp as a starter, and jay cutler is busy not giving the slightest of fucks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

three posted:

I don't know man. The Jaguars seem to have a roster of nobodies.

It seems like that Jags have a bunch of young guys who aren't superstars but are surprisingly good. They could surprise some people soon, or maybe they just seem that way to me because they play the Texans tough and it's a divisional game and the Texans aren't that great anyway

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Basically Bortles showed a lot of good rookie quarterback intangibles: he never crumbled under pressure, always stepped into his throws, and always tried to fit the ball into that window, no matter how many dudes were in his face and how many times he was sacked. The problem was that his mechanics started to revert towards the end of the season. He looked solid early in the year, but as the sacks piled he started making the same mistakes as the team saw in rookie mini-camp, bad footwork and arm throws. my opinion is that he has the makeup of a big-time NFL QB, and he's trainable. They just need to patch the offensive line so the offense actually has enough time to properly execute.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Burger Trench posted:

In fairness, "good oline prospects" have been busting nearly as often as the QBs have been the past couple years.

I'm more sad now

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I know it's just a coincidence, but it cracks me up that the Browns keep picking these terrible quarterbacks with the 22nd pick. It's just a little sign that says no matter who's in charge it's still the Browns.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I know it's just a coincidence, but it cracks me up that the Browns keep picking these terrible quarterbacks with the 22nd pick. It's just a little sign that says no matter who's in charge it's still the Browns.
That goddamn hobo led Jimmy Haslam astray :bahgawd:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JT Jag posted:

Basically Bortles showed a lot of good rookie quarterback intangibles: he never crumbled under pressure, always stepped into his throws, and always tried to fit the ball into that window, no matter how many dudes were in his face and how many times he was sacked. The problem was that his mechanics started to revert towards the end of the season. He looked solid early in the year, but as the sacks piled he started making the same mistakes as the team saw in rookie mini-camp, bad footwork and arm throws. my opinion is that he has the makeup of a big-time NFL QB, and he's trainable. They just need to patch the offensive line so the offense actually has enough time to properly execute.

With your cash-moneys and this insane draft class, you could patch that OL up in a hot second.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Bortles isn't that bad in my opinion. He threw some pretty dumb picks and he did weird screw throws in the last few games, but from the beginning of the season to the middle of the season he seemed to be really working hard and putting passes where they needed to be most of the time, he also scrambled to great effect. I can't imagine what else you can really ask for in a rookie QB

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Bortles isn't that bad in my opinion. He threw some pretty dumb picks and he did weird screw throws in the last few games, but from the beginning of the season to the middle of the season he seemed to be really working hard and putting passes where they needed to be most of the time, he also scrambled to great effect. I can't imagine what else you can really ask for in a rookie QB
People are still all googly-eyed over the Cam Newton, RG3, Russell Wilson, and Andrew Luck rookie seasons, and thought lots of rookies would come in and look like them.

Turns out those are the exceptions (and one's broken now, too!).

Remember that Peyton threw more picks than TDs in his first season. Being a good QB is really hard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Note that when Blaine Gabbert (C.B.U.H.) went through his rookie year and started showing obvious signs of being scared of the pass rush, my excuse for that was "any quarterback would fold when a defensive end was in his face that much, he just needs a better line and he'll improve"

Well Bortles is getting the same treatment and he isn't doing that poo poo. I mean, he looks bad sometimes, but at least he's confident, and he knows what he's doing wrong. All the tape on him this season should be a goldmine if the new offensive staff can capitalize on it.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Welcome, fans of the Arizona Cardinals. You guys got hosed so hard by injuries, but you'll be good again next year, and you gave us a hilarious wildcard game that should never be forgotten. For this, we salute you.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Holy gently caress.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

rjmccall posted:

Welcome, fans of the Arizona Cardinals. You guys got hosed so hard by injuries, but you'll be good again next year, and you gave us a hilarious wildcard game that should never be forgotten. For this, we salute you.

Edit
VVVV
If you cut me, do I not bleed Cardinal red?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Chiche thats a good post but youre not allowed in this thread yet

• Locked thread