Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna vote for NMD. GBS can be entertaining but every time I go there people seem to be obsessed with shitposting as an artform. Although there would be less exposure in NMD. I dunno, I'm more inclined to show the results to people who may actually care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm gonna vote for NMD. GBS can be entertaining but every time I go there people seem to be obsessed with shitposting as an artform. Although there would be less exposure in NMD. I dunno, I'm more inclined to show the results to people who may actually care.

I would agree with that.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Hawklad posted:

I would agree with that.

I am in agreeance with the agreement.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I agree with the aforementioned agreement on agreeing.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Mmkay, voting thread is finally up. It's a little barebones, but it does the trick.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702298

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Mmkay, voting thread is finally up. It's a little barebones, but it does the trick.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702298

You missed my entry, there ... :(

CaptainViolence posted:

Here we go. Ended up not getting a trumpet laid down, but I got my girlfriend to do some vocals instead of my friend, and I'm pleased with it, even if it's hells of long.

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/go-with-the-flow

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
We've got a tie happening. If y'all are ready to go on the next round, I'm happy to fork it over to Hawklad, as his is clearly the superior entry.

Sup.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Well, now that you say that you pull ahead... I smell a conspiracy. :tinfoil:

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Yeah that's an insurmountable lead. Congrats CST, great cover! Got my vote for sure.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Well, that's not how I expected that to go. Guess I'll start thinking about a theme!

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I was intrigued by the whole "everyone cover the same song" idea.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah I do like that one. The question then becomes which song? For some reason I feel like it should be a Beatles track. Something everyone is familiar with and can mostly agree on.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Obviously it should be Yesterday. No one else would think to cover that!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I would be OK with a Beatles song.

Just for the heck of it I looked up Billboards top songs of all time and number 1 is "The Twist" by Chubby Checker. But then "Smooth" by Santana/Rob Thomas was listed at #2 and that list immediately lost all credibility with me. People like the shittiest music.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/list/2155531/the-hot-100-all-time-top-songs?list_page=9

The Shep fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 5, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It will be refreshing to get away from the facile "boner jams" schlock and move toward a more mature sound, with lyrics not just geared towards mental 13-year olds. Something to show today's millennialist that popular music once had more than just "getting down" with your "bae," and more substance than "let's fornicate."

I vote for "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?".

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Given that Yesterday is the most covered song of all time, it does seem appropriate.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

It could also be a nice segue into doing decade themed RockStars again. Those tended to be fun.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm just afraid nobody is going to want to listen to 6+ covers of Yesterday to vote for their favorite. Or any other single song, really.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Well, for whatever it's worth, as a fan of these contests, I've always thought it would be cool to hear what different people's takes on a single song might be.

I was thinking a David Bowie tune would be good, though.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

10 different versions of Hocus Pocus by Focus? I'm in.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Alternative pants posted:

10 different versions of Hocus Pocus by Focus? I'm in.

That would be amazing. I'm in, screw the "listeners" nobody listened last round anyways.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

In all seriousness, that would be a terrible idea for a contest, but a goon collab would be awesome.

e:VVVVV I just want to start on the next one!

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 10, 2015

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
HELLO. I have been on a desert island, honing my craft. My animal spirit appeared and taught me the "drop-D" tuning. I listened to nothing but Seven Mary Three for a fortnight. The time has come to rock once again.

I propose that we cover Songs That Make You Want To Rock As Hard As You Can. They may not be good songs. They are probably not good songs. But goddamn if they don't make you wail until the police splinter your front door down. If they don't make you sweat the sweat of the Righteous. The Sweat Of a Rock and Roll Animal.

Or we could just cover songs to smoke dope to. Deadline 4/20.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
In an unpopular move, I'm going to go with none of the above suggestions. Our theme for the next round is:

Sinners and Saints/Heaven and Hell

Record a cover of a song about religion/spirituality/religious or spiritual figures/afterlife/what have you. It can be critical or complementary, or neither. If you think it fits, it probably does.

There are myriad examples of songs with religious themes. Here are a couple of links to start your search:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_critical_of_religion
http://www.songfacts.com/category-songs_about_spirituality_or_religion.php

I'll make a new thread later tonight or tomorrow. :angel:

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Hello, all. Late to this party! Also, a complete noob as far as recording music....I would go so far as to say I have a decent voice, and some rhythm. I am not ready to commit to having a song down, but I'm very interested. I've become completely swallowed by music lately.

Anyway, just wanted you all to know I think this is totally sweet, and you're all awesome for having the balls/ovaries/...orbs to put something out there.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Tentatively calling Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Sir Bedevere posted:

Hello, all. Late to this party! Also, a complete noob as far as recording music....I would go so far as to say I have a decent voice, and some rhythm. I am not ready to commit to having a song down, but I'm very interested. I've become completely swallowed by music lately.

Anyway, just wanted you all to know I think this is totally sweet, and you're all awesome for having the balls/ovaries/...orbs to put something out there.

You should definitely join in! I know that doing Rockstar has helped me figure out a ton and think differently and more in depth about the recording process, so if you jump right in, you'll stop being a noob in no time.

And if we're calling songs now, I've got Prayer by Disturbed. I'm super digging this theme.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I've got drums programmed, my bass detuned and I'm warming up my screaming vocals... All I need is a thread.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
This is where I pretend like I'm going to participate before later being too busy to record anything.

Thinking about Like a Stone by Audioslave.

DivvyO
May 21, 2001
Copa & Maxixe!
I am ON THIS

Dandy Warhols - Nietzche

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Lilly Wood and the Prick - Prayer in C

Where's the thread?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm actually already done with The World is a Thorn by Demon Hunter... DAMMIT CST GIVE US THE THREAD.
Here's a rough mix. I still have to do some leveling and add more guitars and fix the vocals in a few places.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 16, 2015

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
I recorded a quick sketch today, and it already sounds so good! I'm really excited. :)

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Guys, this is not in the true spirit of Rockstar. You need to be procrastinating and vacillating between options at this point. How are we going to require an extension at this pace?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Easy, I have like, three other songs I want to do. Depending on what gets recorded I might submit something different. What's crazy is even though I did all those vocals this morning Im already talking and singing normally.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
I'm heading out of town today, so I'll easily only have 43 seconds of recorded song once the deadline rears. The spirit of Rockstar lives on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
New thread is up, homies. Get in it.

Alternative pants posted:

I'm actually already done with The World is a Thorn by Demon Hunter... DAMMIT CST GIVE US THE THREAD.
Here's a rough mix. I still have to do some leveling and add more guitars and fix the vocals in a few places.

This rules.

• Locked thread