Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

I think if I were to do that everyone'd get sick in a hurry of "it won't accomplish anything".

Oh yeah, a normal blind playthrough is fine when you're doing it yourself for yourself but it wouldn't work for an LP at all.

I'm not complaining; I'm just pointing out that the LP isn't very indicative of what a 'real' playthrough by a person who hasn't played the game before looks like. To use the moons puzzle as an example that puzzle makes a lot more sense if you go stare at the hole in the rock that the moons are supposed to shine through before you finish the puzzle because Boston comments about it and you can see the moons chilling in the sky.

In a blind play of The Dig you mostly won't be solving puzzles the instant you come across them; a lot of puzzles you'll find, poke a bit and then shrug and leave until you come back later after finding something that hints as to what you're supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
That being said, I found the moon/crypt puzzle sequence pretty obnoxious when I did play through it for real.

The game definitely feels like it gets weaker as it goes along. The best parts of it are the gorgeous exploration vistas; the later puzzles & plot are weaker, I think.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's worth noting that the rod holding the plate down isn't actually a cat hair mustache but rather a case of poor spriting; the rod isn't actually lying flat on the ground it is wedged in between the plates and sticking up but because of the way it's drawn it looks like its just lying flat on the ground.

Using the crystal in the hole though, yeah that is just a 'rub all the alien things on the hole to see if one of them does anything' puzzle.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Neruz posted:

Using the crystal in the hole though, yeah that is just a 'rub all the alien things on the hole to see if one of them does anything' puzzle.

I know that's how I solved it. The rod at least made some degree of sense.

And come on Boston, face to face with a live alien at last, and the first thing you do is comment on how tall he is? :rolleyes:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Bigness is an important trait in the natural world; most complex living creatures are automatically wary of anything larger than themselves and that is absolutely true of humans. Coming into contact with an alien that stands twice as tall as you one of the first things the average person is likely to think would in fact be 'Whoa that's big.'

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
Hello friends. I've not had a good week. I hope you all have. Please enjoy this update, late in the day though it may be.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I love this game. It made me look up what the word pulchritudinous means. It's surprising they recorded a different line for each option where Maggie shuts you up when you talk to her while she's trapped.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
That last puzzle with the monster, I really cant see why a second person was needed there. It really made no sense, the solution really only needed 2 people. Though I suppose a if the grate wasn't blocked the 3rd person would have been useful.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Panboy posted:

That last puzzle with the monster, I really cant see why a second person was needed there. It really made no sense, the solution really only needed 2 people. Though I suppose a if the grate wasn't blocked the 3rd person would have been useful.

Maggie wasn't distracting enough to stop the monster from blocking Lowe getting to the waterfall.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Panboy posted:

I'm fairly sure I demonstrated it, the monster blocks your path to the waterfall if Brink isn't there to yell at it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I wonder if Brink would've been more helpful if he hadn't died and developed a life crystal addiction.

Though it could just be that coming back from the dead heightened his latent stereotypical German rear end in a top hat characteristics.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The big dead alien we found will actually tell us all about the problems with life crystals as soon as we figure out how the gently caress to understand him :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why didn't Brink just go get more life crystals from the big pile where those ones came from? And how did Maggie get out of the web. One minute she's trapped, then suddenly she's standing up on the path.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tiggum posted:

Why didn't Brink just go get more life crystals from the big pile where those ones came from? And how did Maggie get out of the web. One minute she's trapped, then suddenly she's standing up on the path.

There is actually an answer for that! Because he is going batshit crazy.

The web thing there is no explanation for. Boston used the shovel maybe.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tiggum posted:

And how did Maggie get out of the web. One minute she's trapped, then suddenly she's standing up on the path.

I thought for that one she just got unstuck because the alien-spider wasn't perched over her anymore. Why try to break away when the thing that put you there in the first place is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
Heya heya! Hot of the press and straight into your eyeholes!

Neruz posted:

The web thing there is no explanation for. Boston used the shovel maybe.

Cora is the true hero of this adventure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maybe they use that phrase for speak becasue they were huge fand of Kung Pow.

sorry.

But in all seriousness - wasn't the source material of this considered for a movie instead of a game?

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Great game. The voice acting and puzzles make this game for me. I took me FOREVER as a kid to beat this.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Samovar posted:

But in all seriousness - wasn't the source material of this considered for a movie instead of a game?

First it was going to be an episode of a tv show that was similar to Twilight Zone, then it was going to be a movie, but the movie was projected to be WAY too expensive so it got scrapped.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
The thing about Maggie's linguistic skills bugs me. Reading a language and speaking it are two different things. Maybe I'm just nitpicking.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Speaking of linguistic skills, it irritates me about how Maggie is gushing about how clear and expressive the language is, making it easy to learn! And then, when you have a conversation in it, everything is expressed in the foggiest of ambiguities. Way to weaken your point there, devs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You could say the language clearly expresses ambiguity.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

nweismuller posted:

Speaking of linguistic skills, it irritates me about how Maggie is gushing about how clear and expressive the language is, making it easy to learn! And then, when you have a conversation in it, everything is expressed in the foggiest of ambiguities. Way to weaken your point there, devs.

I think that's more to do with the Inventor being an old, cryptic rear end in a top hat than limitations of the language. He can speak plainly when he wants to, he just doesn't want to.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
"They've been trapped for hundreds, maybe thousands of years." - Said about seven minutes after the alien tells you that it has been millions of years.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Neruz posted:

"They've been trapped for hundreds, maybe thousands of years." - Said about seven minutes after the alien tells you that it has been millions of years.

Well, you know, that's just how the three time dimensions project. Maybe it's just been since last Thursday, relatimely speaking.

Still sucks to be a higher consciousness when you're always worrying if you left the oven on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

Well, you know, that's just how the three time dimensions project. Maybe it's just been since last Thursday, relatimely speaking.

"My people have been locked in that world since five feet to your left."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bruceski posted:

"My people have been locked in that world since the sound of orange moved five feet left into wet."

Gotta get your Spacetime Six terminology right.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

I think that's more to do with the Inventor being an old, cryptic rear end in a top hat than limitations of the language. He can speak plainly when he wants to, he just doesn't want to.

He thinks if you open the eye your just going to get stuck in space-time six, same as his people and whoever else followed the probes here. However, he knows it's ultimately your choice and that he can't directly stop you. So, he isn't going to flat out refuse to answer your questions, but he still wants you to give up. End results, attempting to answer questions as evasively, cryptic, and unhelpful as possible.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

I dont know posted:

He thinks if you open the eye your just going to get stuck in space-time six, same as his people and whoever else followed the probes here. However, he knows it's ultimately your choice and that he can't directly stop you. So, he isn't going to flat out refuse to answer your questions, but he still wants you to give up. End results, attempting to answer questions as evasively, cryptic, and unhelpful as possible.

He's also worried that if we get home we'll come back with a bunch more people and get our whole species hosed up on life crystals/stuck in spacetime six. All-in-all he'd much prefer if we just gave up and died quietly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nweismuller posted:

That conversation with the alien was the most annoying thing. God, just loving say something that means... anything! Absolutely no information was conveyed in that entire conversation, except when Maggie said that she can sort of read that tablet.

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

He's also worried that if we get home we'll come back with a bunch more people and get our whole species hosed up on life crystals/stuck in spacetime six. All-in-all he'd much prefer if we just gave up and died quietly.
He did an incredibly lovely job of convincing us that this stuff is bad. His people can't get home because where they are is so great they can't bring themselves to leave? That doesn't sound like a bad thing, honestly. It kind of sounds like he created a portal to heaven. And what exactly is the side effect of the life crystals? Brink was an arsehole before, he's an arsehole now, he hasn't really changed as far as I can see, he just developed a bit of an obsession with the crystals. Maybe they're addictive? Is that a reason to abandon miraculous life-saving technology?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Tiggum posted:

He did an incredibly lovely job of convincing us that this stuff is bad. His people can't get home because where they are is so great they can't bring themselves to leave? That doesn't sound like a bad thing, honestly. It kind of sounds like he created a portal to heaven. And what exactly is the side effect of the life crystals? Brink was an arsehole before, he's an arsehole now, he hasn't really changed as far as I can see, he just developed a bit of an obsession with the crystals. Maybe they're addictive? Is that a reason to abandon miraculous life-saving technology?

Here's the thing, he's an rear end in a top hat for sure, and he always was, but he was NEVER the kind of guy who would threaten and bully people around. He felt that he was above that and that men like Brink were lesser because they did so. In case you haven't noticed, he's been getting worse. He was mostly the same when we first brought him back, but now he's becoming increasingly irritable, nonsocial, and dangerous. Brink before was willing to talk things out and work together before the life crystals, and now he thinks he can do everything himself, Brink and Maggie are just getting in the way, and if it comes down to it he'll kill them if it means less interruptions.

Before he was just a prick. Now he's a sociopath.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

If anyone's into Stargate let's just say that the life crystals operate like the sarcophagus (that they phased out after awhile but still) in that the more you use them the more your personality degrades until you are just this huge HUGE rear end in a top hat

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They're also super addictive, you may have noticed that Brink has been getting steadily more and more paranoid about hiding his stash and how we had to steal said stash in order to get him to help save Maggie's life.

Basically Brink is turning into Gollum.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
And someone, I think Cagey McMothmouth, mentioned they get less and less effective as you use them. Time is sort of hard to conceptualize in an adventure game type shenanigan like this but I'd wager that insofar as they've spent any significant amount of time faffing around out here, Brink's needed to use the crystals more frequently to keep firing on all cylinders. That's going to make him even twitchier since he can't really say for sure how long his stash will really last him.

Is it just me or are these things basically a metaphor for cocaine?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm not sure if the entropy part of the crystals would have had enough time to have an effect on Brink yet unless he has been just killing and reviving himself pretty much constantly this whole time (we will find out what Brink has been up to eventually.) The Scientist has presumably been revived hundreds, if not thousands or hundreds of thousands of times over the millennia and the crystals are only just about to reach the point where they won't work on him anymore whereas Brink has only died and been brought back once barring deliberate suicides, which seems unlikely.

It's also partially the 'curse' of immortality; Brink now thinks he is immortal and will live forever as long as he has life crystals so he instantly becomes super paranoid about having plenty of life crystals around so that his immortality doesn't accidentally end. Combine that with the addictive and obsessive components of the life crystals and the fact that they just straight up 'bring people back wrong' which potentially implies that the crystals revive the body but not the soul, well it's not hard to see how that could all go to poo poo real fast.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dr. Buttass posted:

And someone, I think Cagey McMothmouth, mentioned they get less and less effective as you use them. Time is sort of hard to conceptualize in an adventure game type shenanigan like this but I'd wager that insofar as they've spent any significant amount of time faffing around out here, Brink's needed to use the crystals more frequently to keep firing on all cylinders. That's going to make him even twitchier since he can't really say for sure how long his stash will really last him.

Is it just me or are these things basically a metaphor for cocaine?

I don't know about cocaine specifically, but they were very clearly modeled on drug dependency and abuse. I don't think Brink needs to keep using them to stay alive, but he gets a rush from each use and would likely go into a nasty severe withdraw if he stopped. It's clear he is using them at an ever increasing rate same as an addict who is developing tolerance to their substance of choice. He is convinced that he is getting smarter and thinking clearer with every crystal he uses, but as Maggie and Boston have commented he is getting more and more paranoid and unstable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That said he does actually achieve something impressive in the end. Presumably he's been cracking them over his head or something for some reason, though I have no idea what they'd do to something that is still alive they clearly do something beyond just destabilizing his mind.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
Getting into the home stretch now. Glad everyone's enjoying the game so much.

Tiggum posted:

He did an incredibly lovely job of convincing us that this stuff is bad. His people can't get home because where they are is so great they can't bring themselves to leave? That doesn't sound like a bad thing, honestly. It kind of sounds like he created a portal to heaven.

He mentioned that his people are basically unable to build or do anything there. Imagine being immortal and having infinite knowledge, but being completely, incurably paralyzed across your entire body. A single lifetime of creation is preferable to an eternity of motionlessness.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

He mentioned that his people are basically unable to build or do anything there. Imagine being immortal and having infinite knowledge, but being completely, incurably paralyzed across your entire body. A single lifetime of creation is preferable to an eternity of motionlessness.

They're basically ghosts in limbo at this point. The Creator just managed to skip the suicide step that transcendence cults usually require, though their bodies ended up breaking down over time, anyway.

Thinking of it being akin to Heavens Gate is kinda freaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The guys trapped in Spacetime Six are also basically drug addicts; Spacetime Six is so impossibly beautiful to creatures that evolved in Spacetime Four that they basically become hypnotized and entranced by it, unable to look away without monumental force of will. Force of will which slowly ebbs over time.

Basically this entire game is about drug addiction :okpos:

• Locked thread