Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I've played hundreds if not thousands of hours of CoD (and loads of Halo 2 and 3), and this doesn't feel like CoD.

The time to kill still feels like Halo. It might seem faster thanks to the higher frame rate and buffed Magnum and SMG, but it still takes the same amount of shots to down someone with a BR.

I do think the killcams are pointless in a game without stealth perks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

But you shoot a gun in both games. Same game. Lock it up guys.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
But dude sprint, and thruster, and clamber and :suicide:

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Yeah this isn't cod. It's more halo than anything I've played in a long time.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

MickRaider posted:

But dude sprint, and thruster, and clamber and :suicide:

You're telling me you use a controller for this game but it's not the same game as cod? Yeah. Sure thing buddy.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

incorporeal posted:

You're telling me you use a controller for this game but it's not the same game as cod? Yeah. Sure thing buddy.

Call of Duty was the original FPS and everything thus has been based solely off call of duty because call of duty is the best FPS out there and everything else copies it.

Installs finally complete, bring on the halo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I like the nerf to sprint. Such a good idea.

Hey, 343i, don't gently caress this one up, ok

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Are the covenant weapons as, uh, contemporary as the marine ones in regards to ironsights etc? (I guess a more important question is are there Covenant weapons still, as I missed Halo 4 completely with a broken 360.)

The whole human wepaon, alien weapon dynamic of Halo has always been a little bit superficial; I think it'd be fun if they had a gun for the LT/RT crowd and one for the laser blast boom audience.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Are the covenant weapons as, uh, contemporary as the marine ones in regards to ironsights etc? (I guess a more important question is are there Covenant weapons still, as I missed Halo 4 completely with a broken 360.)

The whole human wepaon, alien weapon dynamic of Halo has always been a little bit superficial; I think it'd be fun if they had a gun for the LT/RT crowd and one for the laser blast boom audience.

The Covenant is still around, but I'm not seeing any Covenant weapons in the beta, aside from plasma grenades.

Also, I hope they add in friendly fire.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I really like this so far.

They need to make some tweaks but it's way better than Halo 4.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Soul Glo posted:

The Covenant is still around, but I'm not seeing any Covenant weapons in the beta, aside from plasma grenades.

Also, I hope they add in friendly fire.

Either have it or don't. They had plans to make it in some playlists but not others. That was a big issue in 343-era Reach where there were something like 3 different degrees of Bloom being used.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Really wish the Spartans were a bit more professional and not a bunch of frat boys and teenagers. Their re-imagining rubs me the wrong way.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

First game, started off rough, finished with a killing frenzy.

Might be too soon to say it, but I think I'm in love

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Really wish the Spartans were a bit more professional and not a bunch of frat boys and teenagers. Their re-imagining rubs me the wrong way.

They are jarheads. Makes sense to me but yes it's a shift.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The post game victory jig with the Spartans high fiving each other is going to get old really fast. I wish we could use the Kinect to make our own poses.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
everyone else who is playing this is really bad and my k/d is huge. this game is really fun

also, to the op: are you still vincent torre on xbl? its me, get on stevia/doublsideddilly

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

a Loving Dog posted:

everyone else who is playing this is really bad and my k/d is huge. this game is really fun

also, to the op: are you still vincent torre on xbl? its me, get on stevia/doublsideddilly

oh poo poo welcome back brotha. is this or original forums account?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

The post game victory jig with the Spartans high fiving each other is going to get old really fast. I wish we could use the Kinect to make our own poses.

Yeah they should totally let you do that.

Oh wait no that's an awful idea.

a Loving Dog posted:

holy poo poo this guy, yup

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Booties posted:

oh poo poo welcome back brotha. is this or original forums account?

yeah, gone through countless name changes. i saw your post and sent you a request too. "coolnormalguy"

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
It's not an awful idea. Imagine how many Kinects that would sell if it gave people the ability to have a jerking off motion show up on your screen. I would laugh my rear end off.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

It's not an awful idea. Imagine how many Kinects that would sell if it gave people the ability to have a jerking off motion show up on your screen. I would laugh my rear end off.

Never change

Finding a match in a party of 4 is proving difficult. I wonder what the population is right now

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Got ranked Gold II, am I L33T, goons?

Kinda wished they just did the Halo 2 ranking system like MCC.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

MickRaider posted:

:goonsay:

Games change and match the genre. No one cares. We've been hearing this exact same thing since halo reach and we still don't care.

What did people say about Reach? I enjoyed each iteration of Halo MP more than the last until the fourth game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dilkington posted:

What did people say about Reach? I enjoyed each iteration of Halo MP more than the last until the fourth game.

Reach is the best Halo.

The online wasn't as good as 3 tho. Easy to forgive when the campaign was the best one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Reach is the best Halo.

The online wasn't as good as 3 tho. Easy to forgive when the campaign was the best one.

My 360 died before I finished with Reach's singleplayer, I feel like I missed out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bobtista posted:

My 360 died before I finished with Reach's singleplayer, I feel like I missed out.

I liked that game so much I beat it on Normal, then went back and beat it on Legendary by myself which is something I never did on the other games. Then I did all the achievements, EXCEPT the one that was "get to level whatever in multiplayer" because I was so burnt out on it by then.

Reach is a good game, you should borrow someone's 360

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I vastly preferred 3's multi to Reach, and never got through the SP while I had a 360. I'll regret that. Thankfully ODST is coming to MCC and I can see the SP that was widely praised.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I didn't really love ODST. It's pretty forgettable. I played the beginning by myself and then zoomed through Legendary with three other goons.

I only remember the parts at the beginning I played twice and maybe a tank/highway sequence?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

So now that people have had more time with it. Better direction then 4? 4 kind of killed my interest in the series but if it's a huge improvement over that I might actually make an effort to try it tonight.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
This game feels on par with the MCC, been about 5 minutes and have yet to get in a game.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Harry Privates posted:

This game feels on par with the MCC, been about 5 minutes and have yet to get in a game.

Yeah, and I'm getting a ton of weird flicker on the playlist screens

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Really like the new direction. It's fun and fast paced and you can easily get engrossed in it.

The UI is clean and simple and to the point.

The gunplay is fun and the new features don't interfere much. Clamber is the biggest improvement and allows for easier map design imo. Now you can have sneak routes without requiring complex jumps that separates your audience.

The thruster pack is surprisingly low key. Maybe once players get more skilled with it you'll see it more, but right now it's largely unused.

It takes a while to find a match so that kinda sucks. And I keep getting booted

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

empathe posted:

They are jarheads. Makes sense to me but yes it's a shift.

But they aren't supposed to be jarheads.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Sedisp posted:

But they aren't supposed to be jarheads.

Spartan 43's are jarheads.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 29, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MickRaider posted:

Spartan 3's are jarheads.

Spartan 3s weren't really jarheads at all. Certainly didn't get that vibe from Reach. Considering they were just thrown into suicide missions they'd have more similarities to a penal battalion than the marines.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Spartan 3s weren't really jarheads at all. Certainly didn't get that vibe from Reach. Considering they were just thrown into suicide missions they'd have more similarities to a penal battalion than the marines.

Maybe they're Spartan 4's then, I can't remember right now. Most of them are picked from ODST's who are jarheads

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

MickRaider posted:

Maybe they're Spartan 4's then, I can't remember right now. Most of them are picked from ODST's who are jarheads

Halo 5 Spartans are 4s.

:goonsay:

Recon is pretty much my ideal controller configuration. If only I could remap melee and crouch to switch, I'd be happy.

I've only played one match in the beta so far but it feels really good to me. I'm not much of a Team Slayer guy (I really prefer BTB) but if they can keep this up and make it work out the gate, it'll be a launch buy for me.

Though they're loving funny if they think that they can get away with a $99 LE and a $250 CE not saying what's in them after the disaster that was/is MCC. :laugh:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Unexpected Server Issues.

Fun

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Unexpected

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU