Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Haven't been able to get a single match yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Did they fix the bug that made Halo boring as gently caress?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A fun game that is shaping up to be demolished by server issues. This definitely is CoD AW.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Here's where I'm not surprised in the slightest.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This is a beta though.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

And honestly the matchmaking isn't as bad as MCC sounds, especially once you're in a lobby. Just don't quit out and you should usually be fine. It does kick you out once in a while but that's about it.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Found a game within 1 minute and had fun. Still not clear on the controls.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Booties posted:

My impressions from the early access was that this game was a lot better than Halo 4. It feels a lot more like halo of old than 4 ever did, the movement is better, and the ledge climbing actually seems like a good addition.

I strongly disagree with this. Halo 4 felt like Halo, the COD comparisons were overdramatic. Only things in 4 that felt like COD were the ordinances and the way they gave you the popup points square in the center for kills (edit: oh, and the saw weapon). I don't think this really feels like COD either, it just feels like Halo taken in a new, bad direction. I find it hard to describe what I don't like about it, everything just feels completely out of wack. From the damage certain guns do, to the scoping, to the general, more spread out perspective of what is going on around you. It is definitely a much further departure from halo of old than 4. First time I played a new Halo multiplayer and did not like it immensely after a few matches. I didn't even have a 360 when 4 came out, but one match of TS on Haven at a friend's house sold the gently caress out of me.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
feels fine with me bros, laughing my rear end off at all the spartans broing out.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

played a few rounds. Had fun and that's my story.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

How is KDA calculated?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Ape Gone Insane posted:

How is KDA calculated?

Kill Death Assists?

In other news reached Gold 3. I bet I can get to onyx tomorrow if I keep playing well.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

MickRaider posted:

Kill Death Assists?

Yeah (in the service record). How is the overall figure calculated?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Anybody wanna bro out with me and my pal?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Yeah (in the service record). How is the overall figure calculated?

Just got back in. That's a very good question, trying to figure out what that could mean as well.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
Is mcc going to be the only way to play the beta?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

kirbyabc posted:

Unless someone gives out codes. Though I bet they're still on holiday.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

Kill Death Assists?

In other news reached Gold 3. I bet I can get to onyx tomorrow if I keep playing well.

I got Onyx 2, but don't feel like playing anymore this week since its the same stuff from the early access.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I got Onyx 2, but don't feel like playing anymore this week since its the same stuff from the early access.

Must be rough

Texibus
May 18, 2008
what did y'all initially place at?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Gold 2 I'm right on the border now because I keep getting paired against guys that go 2.4 and 2.5 while none of us can go positive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
God drat this thing is taking forever to download/install :argh:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kirbyabc posted:

ay yo watch my twitch stream get me at MLG_BONG_GOKU like and sub!!!!1

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Is Bumper Jumper completely ruined? With the whole "Our controller layout is pretty much Call of Duty now." The same drat scheme for a decade , and they change it for E sports? Or to chase some phantom dream that they will steal back and COD thunder? I won't be able to play until near the end of the beta, give me some hope. GT: Unseen Grub

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Half the times I try to play the beta, it just dumps me back to the menu. The other half of the times it puts me into a lobby with a group of other people, I can see their XBL tags, and then the screen starts flickering like CRAZY and it dumps me back to the menu.

Haven't played a single game yet.

They told me this would be different than the MCC :negative:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Half the times I try to play the beta, it just dumps me back to the menu. The other half of the times it puts me into a lobby with a group of other people, I can see their XBL tags, and then the screen starts flickering like CRAZY and it dumps me back to the menu.

Haven't played a single game yet.

They told me this would be different than the MCC :negative:

Hey now, sometimes you actually get to play a game, where your bare rear end will be beaten until it's pink by a guy who somehow still has the gamertag BEAVER MUNCHER in the year of our lord 2014 and goes 26-2.

If that happens don't quit, because it's a pain in the rear end to get on the server that works.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
That's a p good ironic gamer tag, though?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Every time I try to join a game the same things happens. It finds other players, the screen starts blinking, then I'm booted out of matchmaking, and told unable to join.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've had zero problems getting into games.

Is there an option at a system level that will mute everyone by default? If not there should be.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah this doesn't work for me at all either, lots of unexpected errors. Managed to get 1 game though. 90% of the time it just sits there at searching for players.

Edit: Australian Azure servers I presume, might be more hosed up than the rest since theyre new

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 30, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sat at a loading screen searching for players for about 5 minutes, three times in a row.

Got to 4v3 a number of times then it just shits out and drops to loading screen.

Just change the name to 4v3 industries.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I only tried once to play last night with a friend and we didn't find a match while in xbox party chat. We were finding teammates and opponents, but the match wouldn't stop. I just gave up and will try again after work today.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I strongly disagree with this. Halo 4 felt like Halo, the COD comparisons were overdramatic. Only things in 4 that felt like COD were the ordinances and the way they gave you the popup points square in the center for kills (edit: oh, and the saw weapon). I don't think this really feels like COD either, it just feels like Halo taken in a new, bad direction. I find it hard to describe what I don't like about it, everything just feels completely out of wack. From the damage certain guns do, to the scoping, to the general, more spread out perspective of what is going on around you. It is definitely a much further departure from halo of old than 4. First time I played a new Halo multiplayer and did not like it immensely after a few matches. I didn't even have a 360 when 4 came out, but one match of TS on Haven at a friend's house sold the gently caress out of me.

Halo 4 had flinching and perks. Halo 5 doesn't have jet packs. That's pretty much all I need to see as far as judging where Halo falls on the COD spectrum.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Happy to see people are enjoying it. I've been meaning to pick up the MCC, and knowing that the H5 Beta isn't a depressing mess is good to hear.

How long is it running, or have they not said? It's not a selling point by any means, but it'd be nice to get in on it while I can. Also, did they get rid of the terrible ordinance system from 4?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Sdoots posted:

Happy to see people are enjoying it. I've been meaning to pick up the MCC, and knowing that the H5 Beta isn't a depressing mess is good to hear.

How long is it running, or have they not said? It's not a selling point by any means, but it'd be nice to get in on it while I can. Also, did they get rid of the terrible ordinance system from 4?

It started on the 29th and goes for 3 full weeks. I think the 18th or 19th is the end.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Played a match today. It was a hell of a lot easier getting into a game compared to early access where 3/4 of matches would drop the 8th person and get everyone stuck in a searching for players loop before failing out.

Game is fun. Would like to see the other maps though. It feels a lot like a Lil faster Destiny which is kind of funny. The default controller layout is basically exactly the same as destiny too.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Spacebump posted:

Every time I try to join a game the same things happens. It finds other players, the screen starts blinking, then I'm booted out of matchmaking, and told unable to join.

This could be a NAT issue. I see the blinking when I find players and then usually 1-2 people drop. Then of course it doesn't find other players and times out :smith:

Edit: Ok getting a few good games in a row now, the MP is still buggy as poo poo though, how could they have not patched in a return to menu, especially after the preview weekend?

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 30, 2014

Texibus
May 18, 2008

BabyMauler posted:

Is Bumper Jumper completely ruined? With the whole "Our controller layout is pretty much Call of Duty now." The same drat scheme for a decade , and they change it for E sports? Or to chase some phantom dream that they will steal back and COD thunder? I won't be able to play until near the end of the beta, give me some hope. GT: Unseen Grub

Nope, I play bumper jumper and I think it's still the best controller scheme. It really make clambering easy because that's tied to jump button so I'm like a god drat spider monkey darting around.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Bumper jumper is fine. One thing I did notice though is that if you want to disable auto-stabilize it puts the manual stabilize on sprint (I think? A face button), so you wouldn't be able to aim too great during stabilize. But I think that's less important than being able to jump and clamber like a maniac in this game.

I kinda wish they'd just give you the ability to swap buttons as you like. I'd prefer the dash jets on B instead of X so I don't mash my jets when I want to reload after coming from playing Destiny.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

If you're having trouble getting into a match a hard reset or loading a different game apparently helps.

I unblocked my ports and it seems to help a little but might be placebo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
From the home screen you can highlight Halo 5 Beta, press start, then quit game. This works in place of starting a different game then starting Halo up again. I don't think this replaces instances requiring a hard reset.

• Locked thread