Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Texibus
May 18, 2008
I've enjoyed the beta so far too, my only complaint is the kill cam and then the god drat music that comes along with it that fades as you spawn. I think the TTK is fine and the AR doesn't seems bonkers either. I feel like it balances out if I have a BR I'm going to wreck a dude mid to long range and then when they get closer the AR becomes the more ideal weapon to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Just started playing today. Beta is really fun and I like the movement skills a lot. Not that much of a fan of ADS though.

Also add me on xbox live: John L1ghtning

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Ran into the screen flickering and "server not found try later" a few times. Reset the game, and got into a couple of matches.

Definitely not COD even though I figured it seemed similar. Definitely a HALO game. I like the Sprint option. Overall, very similar to Halo 3/4 MP from what I remember.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/1-1-15-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-content-update-notes update that improves matchmaking is out. Anyone played yet?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
How do you download the MP Beta? I go to the extras section and I can't select the MP Beta option.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

shaitan posted:

How do you download the MP Beta? I go to the extras section and I can't select the MP Beta option.

Try going on the Halo Channel and see if that helps

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shaitan posted:

Sounds like your MCC is behind on updates, try hard resetting?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

quote:

4v3 industries

hahahahaha

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh man, got in a hopper today with a good group playing as a team, and I had a blast (although that can probably apply to most games).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tried this out on a friend's bone. The kill cam is pretty pointless and should only be triggered when you get sniped or something, TTK seems fine in motion so I guess it was just the streams throwing me off.

Lots of matchmaking issues though, only got 3 games in in like an hour and change with a couple of hard resets for luck. But then it's a beta so you can't really complain about that.

If they add in some kind of bro-talk reduction slider/toggle and mutators to allow custom weapon placement on maps without the announcements yelling about it then I'll probably pick up a bone+game bundle after it launches.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
et tu Bobo?

I think they're handling this pretty well by starting to accumulate feedback nearly a year before release. Seems like they're really going to take player feedback seriously and make this one very much about the multiplayer experience.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 2, 2015

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Texibus posted:

I think they're handling this pretty well by starting to accumulate feedback nearly a year before release. Seems like they're really going to take player feedback seriously and make this one very much about the multiplayer experience.

I remember seeing in one of the online presentations that they hired like 10 "mlg pros" to play and suggest things for the multiplayer. I think they do the riot thing and do a playtest daily as well.

Ohh new content!

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState

quote:

New mode, new maps now available in #Halo5Beta. BR starts in Slayer for Regret & Eden, Breakout playable in Crossfire & Trench. #Halo

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 2, 2015

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Words : http://penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/12/31/the-means-of-production

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

drat breakout is hard

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
http://xboxclips.com/Name+Generated/d9ae17ce-b91a-48c9-9deb-a2fa046af16e

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I haven't had a chance to check out the new stuff from today, but what is actually going on here? That's Empire, right? Where did the swords come from?

Also, really glad to see classic blue sword is still there, with the weird new one being a special-case version. I'd been hoping that's the case but had no solid answer on it till now.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I wondered if there was sword clashing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funkmaster General posted:

Also, really glad to see classic blue sword is still there, with the weird new one being a special-case version. I'd been hoping that's the case but had no solid answer on it till now.

The best news :dance:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

This update seems to have broken matchmaking for the beta. When I search now it finds a match right away, either full or with one empty slot which fills right after.

Then the screen flashes rapidly like it's trying to induce a siezure and boots me back to playlist selection, still flashing, and a few moments later tells me that my request to join the game timed out. Happened five times in a row exactly the same. Anyone else having luck?

E: Resetting the console seemed to work.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 3, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

New maps:

The new covenant-themed map is a cool idea. It's basically wreckage from the same ship from Truth (or one of the same design) after a crash. The layout is simmilar and some chunks of geometry are the same, but it feels like it's own unique map. I dig it.

Eden, on the other hand, sort of does the same thing; chunks of geometry are reused from Empire, and the stuff that isn't looks very much the same visually. The map itself feels different enough, with some notable exceptions, but the overall package here feels lazy. It feels like a forge map using some of the same prefab structure pieces in a different combination, but with the polish of a full-on map. If this is a forge variant, I'm really impressed, but if it isn't, I'm really underwhelmed. The map PLAYS fine, to be fair, although it isn't as good as Empire. Also it's a little hard to see the Blue team in the lighting here.

The maps for breakout are, on the other hand, obviously forge variants. This is probably the new generic forge look, or one of a few, in lieu of the grey forerunner blocks. Looks neat, but will probably get old fast. Interestingly, you leave footprints temporarily on the floor, which can be tactically important.

New weapons:

First of all, while it isn't new, the BR feels really good and a lot of the problems I had with the way the beta feeled were resolved by BR starts. I can play a round without ADSing now and it feels very Halo 3 like.

The Energy Sword seems identical to the Prophet's Bane, so the difference is, as far as I can tell, aesthetic only. This means that, yes, the regular sword also has the weird ADS with lunge range increase, which I sort of expected to be a bane-only feature after realizing the old sword was there as well, but whatever. Haven't got into any sword on sword duels to try clashing. Maybe the new swjng mode makes sword duels more interesting, where instead of just clashing over and over until someone hits melee instead of trigger and wins, or both deciding to do that and continuing to clash, now it's a rock-paper-scissors thing where you're guessing which swing the opponent takes and trying to counter it? I haven't noticed if the aimed lunge has a longer cooldown than a regular swing.

The Hydra is underwhelming. I wasn't able to get a single kill with it, which is surprising given the supposedly homing nature of the projectiles. Maybe I was using it wrong.

The lightrifle feels dramatically different from Halo 4. Instead of a combo DMR/BR, it is now always a single shot rather than a burst. It is a 5-shot from the hip and feels about the same as a DMR in terms of firing speed. When scoped it is now a 3-shot kill , but the firing speed is dramatically lower, around sniper rifle level. Doesn't feel too OP so far, but I haven't had time to play around with it enough yet.

Breakout:

I don't like it. I like CS and Search and Destroy, because the games and maps are tuned well for that style of gameplay. Here it just feels like playing Halo on Halo maps, and the one-life-per-round thing doesn't do much except make the rounds really short until a team has almost lost, when they go and hide for as long as they can. Maybe this will be fun with a team rather than pubs, but I feel like it needs, at least, an objective. Combine this with Swat and Assault and you'll be on to something, even if that something isn't necessarily unique.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

They definitely reused a lot of the same geometry, whether or not they're siblings is hard to say.

If this means we get twice as many maps in the full game I'll be ok with it (20ish) but if we have 12-14 maps and half of them are very samey that would be disappointing.

Light rifle and hydra definitely take some getting used to. I think hydra will be more effective against vehicles with the homing function. The light rifle is powerful but hard to be accurate with.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Zaphod42 posted:

Still requires me to get up off my couch and access the xbox physically when I have a perfectly good wireless controller in my hands. Not really much different.

Whats the thought there anyways? Players may not be smart enough to hard reset their own machines... so we make it even harder to do for those times when they have to?

I mean clearly the intent is for a device which is on 24/7 and never has to be hard reset, but the Xbone is so far from a server machine its not even funny.

You can hard reset from your couch. Go to settings > power settings > reset console.

Moving is for chumps

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
This would be way more fun if the matchmaking worked, and I didn't get put in teams with idiots VS MLGPROWeeDeAtHlOrD420xxxx dude bros who poo poo down my throat every match.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just got my first "Clutch Kill" medal on a kill to take the lead at 48-47 with 5 seconds left to go. All we had to do was live and my teammate rushed in and died for the tie :(

Adrenalines racing though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crafty posted:

You can hard reset from your couch. Go to settings > power settings > reset console.

Moving is for chumps

Excellent, good to know!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is the hydra just a lovely rocket launcher?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Is the hydra just a lovely rocket launcher?

Kinda reminds me of a hybrid between the grenade launcher and the plasma grenade launcher but with instant explosions.

I think this means we hopefully won't see tracking on the rockets

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just spent the last hour and a half playing match after match of breakout against a really evenly matched team.

This game loving owns

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Huh, something which I guess should have been obvious but was never explicitly mentioned, is that the Beta does check for Halo MCC ownership rights on startup. In my case, since I have a disc version of the game, the disc has to be in the drive. It's not enough to just borrow someone's disc or whatever to trigger the link to download it.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Where is the Elephant?

Also H5 should have maps with automated vehicles, like cable cars or tram shuttles.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

univbee posted:

Huh, something which I guess should have been obvious but was never explicitly mentioned, is that the Beta does check for Halo MCC ownership rights on startup. In my case, since I have a disc version of the game, the disc has to be in the drive. It's not enough to just borrow someone's disc or whatever to trigger the link to download it.

This isn't the case for the client sent out for early access.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Wow I loving suck at this game because I'm getting used to the controller settings. I think the Halo 4 is what I'll use for the beta because the default layout got me killed multiple times whenever I tried to do anything but aim n shoot. Once I played a few games I started getting the hang of the thrusters, sprint and clamber and enjoyed the movement options they allow. The main thing I don't like is that whenever I jump while ads'ing using the halo 4 layout, it automatically hovers. This worked great when I did some hover snipes across the map, but was terrible in an actual gunfight.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
You can turn off the auto hover in the settings I believe.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Pegasus and Orion

The Forge palette looks great in Halo 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_5ZgQi0Dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGrIy9C9iE

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Gray gray with a side of gray

Never change forge

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
True, but it looks do clean and the lightning is pretty.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, at least they got the death physics right for a Halo game.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Wow breakout is a lot of fun with a friend to talk to

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah played some breakout with a buddy and it was pretty fun and easier to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It does look pretty clean but drat that grey-on-grey is pretty bleh.

They need to add forge 'themes' like timesplitters had back in the day. Or at least different basic colors for textures. Make this wall red, make this wall orange, stuff like that. Wouldn't be that hard to just tint the existing textures, and that'd get you SOME color even if it wouldn't always look the best.

• Locked thread