Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
:siren::siren::siren: This thread is only for the discussion of Halo 5 and more specifically the Halo 5 beta. If you would like to discuss any other game or vent about the state of MCC please do that poo poo here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657319 :siren::siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o653RDdmzoU

Halo 5: Guardians is the sequel to 343i's Halo 4.

Not much is known of the story so far, but we do know that the multiplayer surrounds the next generation of spartans and focuses the lore of multiplayer around holographic training simulations.

Halo 5 is 343i's first game on a custom developed engine. It should not have all the annoying bugs of Halo 4 and is their first real chance to show what they're capable of.

This is the first time in Halo history that a Beta has actually been used as an actual beta. The previous "Betas" the game was already GM and was more just to test servers. This is honestly the first time the community has a chance to stear the hand on major gameplay elements and not just small weapon balance tweeks.

With that in mind, let's look at what 343i has brought new to Halo 5.

Sprint (Nerf)

Sprint was already a part of Halo 4 and has become a polarizing topic in the community. Most long term players remember 3 of the best games not having any sprint and long to return to that standard. Unfortunately the game industry as a whole now embraces sprint. Not wanting to upset new players to the series they have decided to keep sprint with Halo 5, but with a nerf.

In Halo 5, while sprinting your shields will not recharge. Now you have the difficult choice of "Can I get away with no one else seeing me and shooting me"

Some people may find that's not enough and want it gone completely. How will you side?

Thrust

Making a return from Halo: Reach we once again have a thruster pack. Instead of pulling you out of first person the new thruster will just lunge you in a number of directions, these are:

Strafing: Boost from side to side to avoid enemy fire or get behind cover

In the air give yourself a bit of a boost to make a tricky jump. More lateral than vertical.

Hover: If a grenade is in your feet, jump then thrust with ADS and you'll hover for a moment

Slam: When midair click down on the stick then aim at your opponents to perform a ground slam.

Charge: A new melee attack that you can do while sprinting full speed. A powerful shoulder smash.

Clamber

Now when you miss a jump you don't have to fall helplessly to the ground, but instead can press the "Clamber button" and grab on the ledge and pull yourself up. Should make movement easier and more fluid, though should the time to raise pistol be increased? Time will tell

Sliding

Similar to other FPS in the genre, sliding has made an entrance into halo. Unlike other games it appears that you cannot fire *during* a slide, and you must lift your gun up to fire.

Smart Scope

More commonly known as "Aim Down Sight" or ADS, Smart Scope has *technically* been in Halo since Halo: CE in the form of the pistols 2x scope. The lore is a fiber-optic connection allowing you to more precisely aim your weapons. I mean you are a super soldier and all.

That said it's received a lot of criticism so far. Fans of the series criticize it because of the lack of consistency between prior and new games. It also changes the behavior of weapons with existing scopes, such as the battle rifle. Now instead of blocking out most of the screen it's more of an iron sights feel.

The real annoying part was this initial claim: Tweeted by @JoshingtonState

quote:

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch. Tune in for the beta gameplay reveal at #HaloFest Monday.
When you actually lose accuracy from the assault rifle aiming from the hip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XthuZAGTjpU

While certain weapons have gained more autoaim in scope, it's never been the case that a guns accuracy improves while scoped. This inconsistency worries previous players to the series, even if it makes more sense that it would.

Descope

Flinch is gone. Returning to the tried and true method of descoping your opponent.

The weapons:
  • Assault Rifle
  • Battle Rifle
  • DMR
  • LightRifle
  • Magnum
  • Energy Sword
  • Sniper Rifle
  • SMG
  • Grenade Launcher
  • Rocket Launcher

The Controls:

The Maps:

Truth

Midship mades a return with this reimagining of the old classic. A little larger to account for the changes to Halo 5, it still looks like a solid environment that will be very familiar to old players. Instead of an energy sword it now features the "Prophets Bane" perhaps hinting at some story elements.

Breakout
A geometric map with strong hints at the virtual reality environment

Empire
Close quarters seemingly symmetric map

Regret
Like if Truth crashed onto a planet and overgrew with plants Symmetric map

Eden
Empire at night, with forge variations to make it asymetric

The Looks
The Beta will run 720p at 60fps while the full game will be 1080p at 60fps

Spectate mode:

A look into what your friends or other players are doing. Quite lagged behind actual time apparently and loads in at the match beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emSqk49AV5U

What does Walshy think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVQe-nbvmNM

Finally there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xQdzOn60k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGRy1C-Ioj4

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Add me if you want:

GT: Vincent Torre

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm off work tomorrow :getin:. What time should the beta go up for download and be live?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I'm off work tomorrow :getin:. What time should the beta go up for download and be live?

I`m off work all week :getin:

http://teambeyond.net/download-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta/

Get it now

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
This Destiny DLC has some really weird art direction.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Oh, cool, thanks.

Lizard Squad, stay away from your PCs for awhile, ok

how me a frog posted:

This Destiny DLC has some really weird art direction.

Please blame Anm8 for Dinklebot's weird new tits

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wheres thr warthogs

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The new voice actor that says double kill or killing spree is awful.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Davincie posted:

wheres thr warthogs

You'll find them on the eighth iteration of Coagulation or whatever it was called first

Snatch Duster posted:

Yeah, I don't like it either. I think it's the same guy, tho

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 29, 2014

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

Same guy?

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Breakout is an ugly map, Walshy looks wasted, Spectate sounds cool.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Add me I guess

faaart XCUSE ME

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

from the sneak peak I got last week at this game I am not looking forward to it. perhaps the full beta (I cant believe thats actually a loving thing I have to say) will be better.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

from the sneak peak I got last week at this game I am not looking forward to it.

don't play it then. no one is forcing you to play it then post how much you hate it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MickRaider posted:

don't play it then. no one is forcing you to play it then post how much you hate it.

well at this stage its the only multiplayer experience I am going to get with the MCC disc in my console so you bet your loving rear end I will be playing it because I want my god drat moneys worth from that pile of poo poo.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Laserface posted:

well at this stage its the only multiplayer experience I am going to get with the MCC disc in my console so you bet your loving rear end I will be playing it because I want my god drat moneys worth from that pile of poo poo.

sell your game now while it's still worth something

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Looking to Halo's retarded mp community for balance changes hasn't exactly been successful in the past, but gently caress it, go ahead and Destiny and iron-sight this poo poo up. There are already five nearly identical Halos to play if you fear change.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I couldn't find any info in the OP on the resolution and framerate the beta is running at. Might be a good place to put it there, if anyone happens to know what it is.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

I couldn't find any info in the OP on the resolution and framerate the beta is running at. Might be a good place to put it there, if anyone happens to know what it is.

I believe it's 720p60. Full game will be 1080p

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I don't care what resolution it is so long as you can loving play the thing online

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Add me at JamesWoodsFan. Gonna get in on this tomorrow afternoon.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Add me, my gamertag is antipax.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Impressions? Seems an awful lot like the same mechanics in COD:AW. How close do they play?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Laserface posted:

from the sneak peak I got last week at this game I am not looking forward to it. perhaps the full beta (I cant believe thats actually a loving thing I have to say) will be better.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Impressions? Seems an awful lot like the same mechanics in COD:AW. How close do they play?

No negative opinions please we all know everyone on the forums hates Halo and the only true superfan with real Halo credibility is MickRaider.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Grabbing this now, looking forward to giving it a go even though the TV I have atm is fuckin tiny.

Bobtista posted:

No negative opinions please we all know everyone on the forums hates Halo and the only true superfan with real Halo credibility is MickRaider.

LOL the avatar does suit you, are we up to 4 xbox related threads that you post in now? You really need a hobby :laugh:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hanyolo posted:

LOL the avatar does suit you, are we up to 4 xbox related threads that you post in now? You really need a hobby :laugh:

A thread where nobody is allowed to poo poo on something they dislike because of forums superstar MickRaider's Halo e-cred is even more useless than our circlejerks over what an awful console the bone is.

Ive said previously a decent Halo 5 could sell me a bone, sorry for wanting to research before a potential purchase?

I know the boner way is to just dive headfirst into whatever bullshit gets put infront of you in sickly green and black packaging but please try to understand that the rest of the world doesn't work like that.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 29, 2014

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I'll be playing this sometimes.

Follow me, Booties.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is it me or did they change the armors to look more halo-y than the more Destiny like promotions they were running for this earlier in the year?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

Hutch had a video where he said it felt nothing like AW, it felt like Halo. :shrug:

I don't mind taking the Halo feel and upping the tempo a bit, so long as it's there. The TTK still looks the same as ever, so in that respect it won't be CoD.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Couple notes from skimming the OP:

There's no "boost jump," you can just use the side/forward boost mid-air. You get no vertical boost whatsoever, although you could boost within range of a ledge and clamber over for a tiny height increase.

Also, the hover isn't tied to boosting (thematically it's the same device, but controllwise it's completely different). You hover by ADSing in midair. You can also toggle this off in favor of having to press another button while doing so.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 29, 2014

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Say anything you want about halo 5 or the halo 5 beta. If you want to bitch about 343i being 343i or how bad MCC is there's another thread for it.

Just another hour till their servers don't work. My body is ready

Thanks funk master I'll make notes of that. Also I'm including hover in thruster because of the visual effect being tied to the thrust packs but I'll note the difference.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

LLJKSiLk posted:

Movement seems similar but the gun play is totally different. Still looks very halo but much faster paced wth all the mobility improvements

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Beta is live now

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
first impressions (3 matches): i don't like it. halo 4 is better than this game will ever be.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

first impressions (3 matches): i don't like it. halo 4 is better than this game will ever be.

Any particular reasons?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

My impressions from the early access was that this game was a lot better than Halo 4. It feels a lot more like halo of old than 4 ever did, the movement is better, and the ledge climbing actually seems like a good addition.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I've played two matches.

Game owns.

The first time I booted up the game, my A button did nothing so I couldn't get in a game, but it's working now :v:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
It's call of duty, there might be some non similarities here and there but Halo is now Call of Halo. It's about 3-4 seconds per engagement down from 5-8 of 4's, with iron sighting being the most efficient way of killing people. The sniper has either massive autoaim or they've increased the hitboxes for the head to a ludicrous size, I'm not THAT good with a sniper. Spartans chatter about friendly fire, but there isn't any, you can literally stick a teammate with a plasma, have them run at the enemy with no negative penalties.

I really didn't like the few games I played, all the weapon respawn callouts seem to do is stop the action while both teams head towards either weapon spawn and sit on it till it pops in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't own the system, but I was a big fan of the Halo games so I decided to read this thread.

It makes me kind of sad. Halo seemed like the last of the Quake-inspired online FPS games, where people out-strafe each other firing spam and chucking a grenade. They have made improvements to that genre (not carrying a gazillion guns and unloading ammo endlessly as you run a round a room) and a few skillshots with the things like sticky grenades. But it seems like with this one, they're going with after the games where you expect to find Desert Eagles and AKs.

I just still want to fire Super Shotgun with a Double Damage rune, darnit. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

It's call of duty, there might be some non similarities here and there but Halo is now Call of Halo.
:goonsay:

Games change and match the genre. No one cares. We've been hearing this exact same thing since halo reach and we still don't care.

• Locked thread