Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
God drat this thing is taking forever to download/install :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Half the times I try to play the beta, it just dumps me back to the menu. The other half of the times it puts me into a lobby with a group of other people, I can see their XBL tags, and then the screen starts flickering like CRAZY and it dumps me back to the menu.

Haven't played a single game yet.

They told me this would be different than the MCC :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Booties posted:

From the home screen you can highlight Halo 5 Beta, press start, then quit game. This works in place of starting a different game then starting Halo up again. I don't think this replaces instances requiring a hard reset.

It doesn't and the fact that you have to unplug the Xbone to hard reset it drives me mental.

Its like they're trying to make it worse than the 360 on purpose.

:allears: that's some fun physics right there.

Don't really care for the look of the new energy sword though. Why you gotta gently caress with everything, 343? It was fine!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Laserface posted:

Hold the power button, like any other device you want to hard reset since like 2002?

Still requires me to get up off my couch and access the xbox physically when I have a perfectly good wireless controller in my hands. Not really much different.

Whats the thought there anyways? Players may not be smart enough to hard reset their own machines... so we make it even harder to do for those times when they have to?

I mean clearly the intent is for a device which is on 24/7 and never has to be hard reset, but the Xbone is so far from a server machine its not even funny.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

You can ADS with the sword.

And it increases your lunge range.

There's not enough what in my body to describe how confused I am by this revelation.

:psyduck: 343 noooooo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everybody knows if a spartan is swinging a sword and they get shot, they flinch.

Yeah those spartans sure are known for their hesitation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BabyMauler posted:

So that cutscene, after you click on the Beta for the first time, is pretty cool. I'm a sucker for some Keith David.

With Cortana dead and Chief on his way out, Arbiter is the most interesting character left.

Never thought I'd say it, but bring on the Arbiter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finally managed to get into a game :toot:

Still took me getting booted like 8 times first. Need to fix the servers, but its a beta so I can ignore that pretty much.

Controls feel pretty responsive and the game does feel pretty Halo, given that there's only the one map and team slayer.
Aim down sights feels just like Destiny and for the pistol, DMR, sniper, etc. it feels GREAT. But for the AR and a few others... it feels awkward. I hate that I feel like I have to use it since there's an accuracy bonus, but if you get shot with the AR you flinch... what the gently caress? :v:

The voices... I actually like the idea of having callouts in-game like Left4Dead, "reloading!" and "Med kit here!" or "Shotgun over here!", that's all pretty great and informative.
But the voices themselves... are just way too bro-y. And too happy! Chief was always pretty grim, he was fulfilling a duty, but he wasn't having a blast. (We the players were :shobon:) The Spartans in Reach were even worse, they kinda knew it was turning into a suicide mission, but they did their jobs. These new guys are just like a bunch of basketball players, high fiving each other.

They've turned Halo into literally Unreal Tournament. I don't know why they felt they had to do that. Nobody needed a lore explanation for multiplayer. It was just fun times for Halo dudes to shoot each other. You don't need to give it a loving setting in the canon, 343! :argh:

I do like the new SMG model, they did a thing with the ammo clip like a P90 and its pretty cool and different.
I have no problem with the dodge, and the mantling is actually very good and comfortable.

Mostly this looks good, but I wish they didn't feel they had to change so much just... to be different or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ape Agitator posted:

As a pure viewer, I wish they had done that because it's kind of bland to watch. In previous ones you had alien weapons so there was some visual flash going on in matches. But right now it's just like Titanfall where you're in a future setting but it's still just pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun without anything added to them to leverage the "future" setting. And I begin to wonder the point of having a health and shield bar in MP when there isn't a different set of damage classes for energy and bullet weapons. Is there some later reveal of energy weapons for the MP or is the health bar just a vestigial tail from when they had creative weapon types?

They're not going to not have alien weapon in Halo, dude. That's just the beta.

At least... they'd be crazy not to.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just prioritized a given list of weapons for the beta, and the rest of them don't have finished animations yet or whatever.
No doubt there'll be some new weapons too. Halo 4 tried adding a ton (Promethan) even if it stumbled. They're not going to not do new guns.

Also you completely missed my point. I wasn't commenting on the levels. The levels should be set in the campaign settings, in colorful halo environments. And you're right the current maps feel esports and not very interesting.
But I was just bitching about the focus of the story and the voices. I don't mind having a couple barebones maps, there'll be all kinds of maps in the final game. It just kinda sucks that the only maps we have now are super boring esports stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bobtista posted:

I've watched a couple of streams and I get the complaints about the voiceovers.

TTK seems a lot shorter than I remember halo 2 and 3 being or am I just old and/or watching people mostly mow down idiots?

TTK definitely felt a bit faster to me. But I don't know if that was just my perception or what.

MickRaider posted:

They're annoying while watching, but super useful in game

Again, we're not saying there shouldn't be voiceovers. We're saying this particular voice actor(s) or the direction given was all wrong.

I would love to have voiceovers, they are indeed useful, but don't make them so drat NFL. These are Spartans; Soldiers.

I guess the war's over and now everybody just plays Griffball for fun?

hanyolo posted:

- Blue aiming sights against blue team on a blue map, rookie error there

Its a nitpick but its a good one. Throw a 3rd color in there, 343.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 31, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

shaitan posted:

How do you download the MP Beta? I go to the extras section and I can't select the MP Beta option.

Sounds like your MCC is behind on updates, try hard resetting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also, really glad to see classic blue sword is still there, with the weird new one being a special-case version. I'd been hoping that's the case but had no solid answer on it till now.

The best news :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crafty posted:

You can hard reset from your couch. Go to settings > power settings > reset console.

Moving is for chumps

Excellent, good to know!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It does look pretty clean but drat that grey-on-grey is pretty bleh.

They need to add forge 'themes' like timesplitters had back in the day. Or at least different basic colors for textures. Make this wall red, make this wall orange, stuff like that. Wouldn't be that hard to just tint the existing textures, and that'd get you SOME color even if it wouldn't always look the best.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fresh Heir posted:

Have you notice that switching weapons mid-duel will always get you killed? Seems that switching takes just a fraction longer than it should.

Yeah definitely found this myself. Feels just a little too slow. Its a beta though so these are the kind of variables that they should be playing with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If they're not going to use other colors on the maps, they could at least make it so all your allies are always blue and your enemies are always red, rather than having "team colors".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just finished a questionnaire sent by MS about the Halo beta, asking things like which was the best halo single player, which was the best multi, ordering them, and talking about what aspects of the beta are good/bad.

Hopefully they get the message.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MickRaider posted:

Did you make it very clear that if the matchmaking isn't perfect the game is going to fail hard?

I mean my individual comments are almost assuredly going to get lost in the crowd (although I did write a nice paragraph bitching about matchmaking) but I also listed matchmaking as the worst thing and ranked the questions about matchmaking poorly.

Hopefully everybody else does too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

-A n i m 8- posted:

I’m happy to say that we will provide toggles in custom games so that sprint and the other Spartan Abilities can be turned off. By putting these tools in the hands of players we will give them the ability to play the game their way, enabling them to create a more traditional style of Halo if they prefer.

Increase base speed (faster base movement)
Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)

Post-death replay: this will become an opt-in feature. After death, players will see a traditional follow-cam and have the option to view a replay of their death from the killer’s perspective (as long as the feature is enabled within the playlist)
Medals: decrease frequency and number of medals displayed in the medal feed
Spartan chatter: players will have the option to turn this on or off in the settings menu
General tuning for announcer and Spartan chatter to reduce the frequency of events and focus on the information that matters most to players

Much faster matches
Better skill matching
Better feedback to players in the lobby and matchmaking experiences
Allow players to set desired datacenter for matchmaking (may impact matchmaking speed and skill balance)
Improved party vs party matchmaking
Hide CSR ranks until in match to de-incentivize quitting

Bring back the SPNKr Rocket Launcher as a legendary version of the weapon

These are all pretty great changes, I gotta say.

If they can just get rid of the loving iron sights on the energy sword and the assault rifle...

Anim8 make it happen. :pray:

(Also, why not go ahead and hide CSR ranks until the end of the match like CSGO does?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The gently caress does this mean? Is that what the Prophet's Bane was? A "legendary" energy sword? Is this more of a thing than "some maps have a different weapon model for some reason?" The phrasing there suggests something very strange.

Yeah that's what the prophet's bane was.

I think its just really fancy talk for "A second special model for the same stupid gun"

343, stop changing things that you know work. If you want to play with adding things like ADS and dashing, fine. But don't re-invent the loving sword and rocket just because you can. They were Iconic!

Ugggh. :doh:

They realize now they were stupid to change it but they don't want to admit it so they're including both.

• Locked thread