Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

quote:

On NFL Network @RapSheet said Woody Johnson feels that he got "duped into thinking Idzik had more football knowledge than he really had."

lol

Go figure a guy who's only job he's ever had in his life was managing his trust fund is bad at managing people and judging talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Granted, he wasn't exactly given much of a roster to start with, but it says a lot that Idzik's best move was probably getting Chris Ivory.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

davecrazy posted:

SNY is live with their Jets coverage and these dudes are just laying into Izdik.

His incompetence is just mind boggling. He blew the best job he'll ever get.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Granted, he wasn't exactly given much of a roster to start with, but it says a lot that Idzik's best move was probably getting Chris Ivory.
Drafting Sheldon Richardson owned.

NYJets Email posted:

From the Desk of Robert Wood Johnson IV

Dear Ozu,

I am writing to you, a loyal New York Jets Season Ticket Holder, to share important news about the team.

Like many of you, I approached 2014 optimistically, and our 4-12 season is deeply disappointing to me.

After carefully assessing where we are as a football team, this morning I informed Rex Ryan and John Idzik that they will not be returning for the 2015 season. Both Rex and John made significant contributions to the team which will be building blocks for our future. Over the years, Rex brought the Jets a bold confidence and a couple of great post-season runs, which all of us will remember.

These were very difficult decisions, but winning matters above all. My obligation to Jets fans – especially all of you – is to position us for sustained success on the field. We did not make enough progress toward that goal this season, and I have determined that new football leadership is necessary moving forward.

Today I am starting our search, with guidance and support from respected football experts, including Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf, two Super Bowl winners with decades of invaluable experience and insight.

We are considering all options to improve this team and to ensure that our new Head Coach and General Manager work hand-in-hand to build and maintain a winning culture.

I know how much you have invested in the Jets and the results of this search, so I encourage you to visit newyorkjets.com and follow @nyjets on Twitter for updates and additional information throughout the process.

Thank you for your continued passion and support for the New York Jets.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Any word on possible candidates for the Jets?

They can't talk to playoff teams people yet correct?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Godspeed Rex you fat bastard, I will be curious to see what you do next even if it isn't coaching.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rex to the Falcons will be done today I bet.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5s5 seconds ago
Falcons announced HC Mike Smith has been fired.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mike Smith just got axed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I could see Rex having success with another team featuring a competent GM. I expect much of the same to happen to Jay Gruden in a few years.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Mike Smith is gone.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5s5 seconds ago
Falcons announced HC Mike Smith has been fired.

Go figure after how bad they hosed up on Sunday.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Vertical Lime posted:

this makes me laugh

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Expect #Bears coach Marc Trestman to make a strong case to save his job. Among arguments are higher passer ratings for QBs not named Cutler

This dude just makes his poo poo up, I am 100% convinced. (I mean even moreso than every other non Schefter/Glazer "reporter")

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mike Smith would be fantastic in Oakland. They'd immediately win 7 games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bruh

quote:

League source says word is tricking out of Chicago that G.M. Phil Emery has gotten the axe

It's a Black Monday Miracle.

Edit: It's official

quote:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7s7 seconds ago

Bears have fired HC Phil Emery.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Mike Smith had a pretty decent tenure in ATL. The Falcons were a loving mess before he got hired.

Bear fans Emery is out.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

A Man and his dog posted:

They can talk to coaches that have a bye this week, i.e. poach the Patriots, Broncos, Packers and most popular Seahawks.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A Man and his dog posted:

They need to hire a GM first so he can conduct his own search. Picking a coach before a GM is loving stupid and very Jetsy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rex didn't deserve to get fired with the shithole team they gave him but I'm glad he's out of the AFC East. Sad to see the new GM go though, he was laying a strong foundation for sustained suckitude.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Adam SchefterVerified account
‏@AdamSchefter

lolschefter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

They need to hire a GM first so he can conduct his own search. Picking a coach before a GM is loving stupid and very Jetsy.

Whoever the new Jet HC is should call Mark Trestman.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

How many times does the GM get fired before the coach??

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

Rex didn't deserve to get fired with the shithole team they gave him but I'm glad he's out of the AFC East. Sad to see the new GM go though, he was laying a strong foundation for sustained suckitude.

I trust the jets to find someone that can built on that foundation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TubeStank posted:

Adam SchefterVerified account
‏@AdamSchefter

lolschefter

I'm going to laugh so hard if the Bears give Trestman a lame-duck year under a new GM like they did with Lovie.

TubeStank posted:

Jerry Angelo was fired after the 2011 season; Lovie didn't get canned until 2012.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TubeStank posted:

Very rarely, since most GM candidates with any clout are going to want to choose their coach. Unless you mean like within a day or two, that probably happens occasionally just due to logistics.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

@JayGlazer
Marc Trestman was just fired as well

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ozu posted:

@JayGlazer
Marc Trestman was just fired as well

:toot:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Happy that we're rid of Mike Smith. I don't trust a coach who can't swear.

Not sure who we'll hire though.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i'm really excited to see who the bears pick up. i think the vikings already got the guy they're gonna be looking for

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Happy Black Monday, y'all.

I still didn't hate Emery overall but he wasn't ready to be a GM. Hopefully upper management realizes they don't know how to pick a GM and finds people who do

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mark Davis met with Harbaugh this morning but I guess it didn't take.

@AdamSchefter
Michigan has told its biggest boosters a deal for Jim Harbaugh is done and a press conference is scheduled for Tuesday, per sources.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Does Trestman have a snowball's chance in hell of getting another NFL hire?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If the Bears don't gently caress this up, the Lions' window to win the division just closed or is rapidly closing. Maybe I just have fan PTSD but I don't like their odds against GB and resurgent Vikings & Bears squads. Last year and this year were as good as any to win but alas.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

No team will take him as a HC but i could maaaaaaaybe see a coordinator spot. At the very least he could gently caress off back to Canada and find a job

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

C-Euro posted:

If the Bears don't gently caress this up, the Lions' window to win the division just closed or is rapidly closing. Maybe I just have fan PTSD but I don't like their odds against GB and resurgent Vikings & Bears squads. Last year and this year were as good as any to win but alas.

The Bears still have Cutler or a lot of dead money on the roster.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TubeStank posted:

Rivera hasn't been fired yet but Hurney was let go midseason a couple years ago.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

This dude just makes his poo poo up, I am 100% convinced. (I mean even moreso than every other non Schefter/Glazer "reporter")

I doubt it. Was pretty clear that the coaching staff was using him for leaks all season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wtftastic posted:

Does Trestman have a snowball's chance in hell of getting another NFL hire?

Yes. He'll easily get a OC job.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TubeStank posted:

Mike Tannenbaum was fired and Rex stayed with the Jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

So...is Trestman still having his 11 AM team meeting?

mcmagic posted:

Yes. He'll easily get a OC job.

Are you so sure about that? This follows his usual pattern of "year 1: great offense --> year 2: everything falls apart and he's fired shortly thereafter."

EDIT: Huh so I guess firing the GM before the head coach isn't all that unusual.

• Locked thread