Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I couldn't get into Sleeping Dogs because the game wants you to be a good cop and not drive round the pavements getting ultra kills, which is kind of like the only thing I like doing in those games. Play Sleeping Dogs if you want to be immersed in the role of an undercover cop in Hong Kong and obey the driving laws
Sleeping Dogs' ludonarrative dissonance (:10bux: phrase, I know) is the best because the fistfighting is just so immediate and brutal. You call your superiors to let them know about the latest in the horrible crime family, hang up the phone, then sprint down the street and do a flying kick to the back of some random woman's head. Every open world game has this dissonance to some degree, but the fact that you're an undercover cop actually makes more sense to me than in other games where you're meant to be the good guy, because I just assume your superiors have no idea what you're up to, and you're just some psychopath taking advantage of the situation to do all kinds of horrible stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

keyvin posted:

Anyone else have tips for managing ADD when it comes to a huge GOG.com and Steam collection? I'd like to beat or finish something, but the last game I got through was torchlight 2 (90 hours of play). That was in 2013. I probably own like 200 games total. I remember before steam sales I would have one or two games I would play and honestly I am overwhelmed by the options.

Stop buying games on impulse, only buy something if you think you're actually going to engage with it for more than one play session, use your leftover money to do other fun things which aren't playing games.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keyvin posted:

Anyone else have tips for managing ADD when it comes to a huge GOG.com and Steam collection? I'd like to beat or finish something, but the last game I got through was torchlight 2 (90 hours of play). That was in 2013. I probably own like 200 games total. I remember before steam sales I would have one or two games I would play and honestly I am overwhelmed by the options.

stop buying games. or be pickier with your buys.

i only buy games im really interested in and when i pick them up i usually stick with that one until im done.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

keyvin posted:

Start by playing one video game and then move on to the next one when you're bored or finished with the last one. Also, take your medication

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Play a good game if it's single player disconnect your internet

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wei always seemed like he would be exactly the kind of person who would be in the triads if his life took a different path and he didn't end up as a cop.

This is why he's so loving good at it, it's what he was born to be, he just happened to fall into it in an unconventional manner.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I couldn't get into Sleeping Dogs because the game wants you to be a good cop and not drive round the pavements getting ultra kills, which is kind of like the only thing I like doing in those games. Play Sleeping Dogs if you want to be immersed in the role of an undercover cop in Hong Kong and obey the driving laws

not really, you can do whatever on most missions and the only thing you lose is your police rating for xp. im pretty sure i bombed most of the triad missions on that because i was destroying everything and killing people.

Wei is a Bad Dude who is sometimes good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You might say that Wei Shen is a very dangerous man

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Stop buying games on impulse, only buy something if you think you're actually going to engage with it for more than one play session, use your leftover money to do other fun things which aren't playing games.

i really dont get people who have trouble with this

the only times i played games i didnt like was when i gave a shot to some bundle stuff i didnt buy the bundle for

you yourself know better than anyone what you're gonna like, and i get it, sometimes watching a trailer or reading a review won't give you the full picture but come on

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

precision posted:

You might say that Wei Shen is a very dangerous man

hey is your av from phoenix vs layton?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
gamers have really bad Sunk Cost problems

like, i get it, you regret buying a game, but if you dont enjoy a game forcing yourself to beat it is just making things even worse.

if you want to beat it for an actual reason - just wanting to see the ending, wanting to have a Full Opinion you can effortpost with in the game's thread, wanting to see how bad it gets, that's one thing

but if you just want to beat it because 'well, i spent money on it' then thats dumb. beating it won't get you your money back. it'll just mean you wasted money on it and spent your free time doing something you didn't like doing.

play games you want to spend time playing, and if you stop wanting to play it, stop

this is how you achieve gaming zen

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
look at the star citizen thread, its full of people with buyers remorse who try their best to convince themselves its totally worth it

Endorph is 100% right

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

but if you just want to beat it because 'well, i spent money on it' then thats dumb. beating it won't get you your money back. it'll just mean you wasted money on it and spent your free time doing something you didn't like doing.

wisdom

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ArfJason posted:

hey is your av from phoenix vs layton?

Yes it is a very good and cool game but way easy compared to proper Layton and Phoenix games also the last case is like 10 hours of dialogue and almost literally zero puzzles :\

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive made bad purchases because I really like games and want them to be fun, but at least if I play something and it sucks I just drop it

ive never gotten why people felt they had to justify their purchase

example: starbound

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Oh god starbound

That game had one of the largest gaps between how fun I thought it would be and how fun it actually was that I've ever experienced

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've gotten 1.5 cases into layton vs phoenix and i hate layton and especially luke and his dumb voice. needs more maya

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait what the gently caress, there is a layton vs phoenix game

holy poo poo I need that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eonwe posted:

holy poo poo I need that

It's not that great. I mean if you're a hardcore fan you're probably gonna get it anyway but the AA side of things really gets left out in the cold towards the end so adjust your expectations accordingly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eonwe posted:

holy poo poo I need that
it's p. good

phoenix has to keep witches from being burned at the stake

but it's mostly a layton game with some phoenix wright elements and phoenix and maya hanging around.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Is maya the big titty ghost whisperer one?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Do you like that bit in AA games where after eating huge amounts of bullshit from the real murderer you finally pry open the hole in their argument with decisive evidence and the high energy turnabout music comes on and you expose their crimes to the world?

If so PLvAA is not the game for you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Sleeping Dogs' ludonarrative dissonance (:10bux: phrase, I know) is the best because the fistfighting is just so immediate and brutal. You call your superiors to let them know about the latest in the horrible crime family, hang up the phone, then sprint down the street and do a flying kick to the back of some random woman's head. Every open world game has this dissonance to some degree, but the fact that you're an undercover cop actually makes more sense to me than in other games where you're meant to be the good guy, because I just assume your superiors have no idea what you're up to, and you're just some psychopath taking advantage of the situation to do all kinds of horrible stuff.

Maybe I'll give it another go just playing like a dick, it just felt like you were playing against the game's expectations even more than usual and that took me out of it. I guess that's why Saint's Row works so well, where the actual narrative and gameplay mechanics are perfectly in sync with the player being a tremendous dick.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Is maya the big titty ghost whisperer one?

mia = big booby bitches whoah

maya = cool beans maya

pearl = you're a pedophile

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Is Starbound actually done yet? I was super on board with it because Terraria owns, but I don't play early access poo poo and last time I checked it seemed like SB was going to be in v0.9 forever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Maybe I'll give it another go just playing like a dick, it just felt like you were playing against the game's expectations even more than usual and that took me out of it. I guess that's why Saint's Row works so well, where the actual narrative and gameplay mechanics are perfectly in sync with the player being a tremendous dick.

Sleeping Dogs knows it's a video game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Errant Signal had a really nice video about Sleeping Dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwNkSQAWtE

I really recommend you watch it. :)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

mia = big booby bitches whoah

maya = cool beans maya

pearl = you're a pedophile

poo poo gets confusing when they magic each other

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Brosnan posted:

Is Starbound actually done yet? I was super on board with it because Terraria owns, but I don't play early access poo poo and last time I checked it seemed like SB was going to be in v0.9 forever.

Nope, it's still early access

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dont get it

if you have to buy an indie early access game

get nuclear throne

its good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Every Nuclear Throne owner, if I recall correctly, will get second copy for free on January 1.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Eonwe posted:

dont get it

if you have to buy an indie early access game

get distance

its good

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

ive made bad purchases because I really like games and want them to be fun, but at least if I play something and it sucks I just drop it

ive never gotten why people felt they had to justify their purchase

example: starbound

starbound is good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i did some multiplayer starbound with my bestie. he found a guitar and i found a trumpet. we spent a good half hour standing over a canyon playing those instruments like loving badasses.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
timg please my work monitor sucks

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Normally I'd agree but they actually mention this numerous times in the cutscenes, usually along the lines of "You're going in too deep, we're pulling you out" and Wei going "gently caress you, I'm too involved to quit now" which is probably code for "I like beating the poo poo out of people"

Wei has no problems with killing people, which is kind of a hosed up thing for an undercover cop to do. Reading his psyche reports also mentions that he has a tendency to get too involved with things.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VideoGames posted:

i did some multiplayer starbound with my bestie. he found a guitar and i found a trumpet. we spent a good half hour standing over a canyon playing those instruments like loving badasses.

Eonwe posted:

There you go.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

i am sorry i cannot smallen an image of such sheer awesomeness

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea it is pretty awesome, request retracted