Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
btw we were playing Africa by Toto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats pretty awesome

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Starbound single player is really boring. Starbound with one or more friends and voice communication owns. Terraria was the same way so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Do you like that bit in AA games where after eating huge amounts of bullshit from the real murderer you finally pry open the hole in their argument with decisive evidence and the high energy turnabout music comes on and you expose their crimes to the world?

If so PLvAA is not the game for you

Isn't it about the witch hunts? That sounds kinda not that great

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Looper posted:

Isn't it about the witch hunts? That sounds kinda not that great

Spoilers: It's fair to say there's two people who really look like they should have it coming to them and are basically set up the whole game to be the very obvious antagonists, only for the game to twist itself in circles to explain how there were actually no villains and everyone involved is just a tragedy case. And Nick gets completely sidelined in the narrative and lead by the nose by Layton through the entire final trial too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you have Origin accounts, check your transactions and poo poo. Found out, thankfully not the hard way, that accounts are being charged with others' purchases, some people got accounts locked when petitioning for refund.

http://www.reddit.com/r/origin/comments/2qrfjt/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2quxal/psa_if_origin_has_charged_you_for_a_game_you/

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
What's a good space 4X these days? The last 4X I really liked was MOO1 (i.e., the original Masters of Orion). I tried to like Moo2 but could not. The clone Moo2 version, Birth of a Federation did not work out for me, either. Space Empires also had issues.

I would keep playing MOO1, but it has lost it's challenge.

Any space 4X with a decent AI these days? I'm not interested in any Kickstarters since I don't have time to alpha or beta-test software in return for a product that has a chance of never being completed.

EDIT: Endless Space appears to be the best candidate so far, and it's on sale on Steam until Jan 2nd.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 31, 2014

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I wasn't that impressed by Endless Space. I think Galactic Civilizations 2 was pretty good, but if you don't like MoO 2 I have no idea what could possibly please you.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm playing Daikatana.

Holy loving hell.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i told origin not to save mine and it still did. i was one of the people whos card got hacked a few months ago.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I got a bunch of games on origin recently anyone wanna play

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

nnnotime posted:

What's a good space 4X these days? The last 4X I really liked was MOO1 (i.e., the original Masters of Orion). I tried to like Moo2 but could not. The clone Moo2 version, Birth of a Federation did not work out for me, either. Space Empires also had issues.

I would keep playing MOO1, but it has lost it's challenge.

Any space 4X with a decent AI these days? I'm not interested in any Kickstarters since I don't have time to alpha or beta-test software in return for a product that has a chance of never being completed.

EDIT: Endless Space appears to be the best candidate so far, and it's on sale on Steam until Jan 2nd.

Endless Space is great but I think some people with more experience with the genre don't like it as much. The only turn-based 4X game I had ever played before it came out was Civ, so the appeal of Endless Space for me was that it's approachable and has a fantastic interface.

If you want to look in the opposite direction, you can try Distant Worlds: Universe, which is like the most hardcore and deepest 4X game ever, from what I understand. It's not turn-based but it's pausable, sort of like a Paradox space 4X.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I got a bunch of games on origin recently anyone wanna play

lol good luck finding someone that uses origin

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hubris.height posted:

Did you know there's still an active community for mass effect 3's multiplayer mode

it's kind of upsetting

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's because ME3 has really good and fun multiplayer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I know, but the game has been out for 3 years. 3 years! Who keeps playing a single videogame for that amount of time!

*pauses, turns towards camera and mugs an extra special grin* *laughtrack* *clapping audience*

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah I know, but the game has been out for 3 years. 3 years! Who keeps playing a single videogame for that amount of time!

*pauses, turns towards camera and mugs an extra special grin* *laughtrack* *clapping audience*

Cowcaster did you guest star in a Big Bang Theory episode recently or

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fuckkk it I'm gonna play some ME3 multi now. Add ecalogia on Origin, go easy on me I'm rusty.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hubris.height posted:

Origin is easily the best Steam alternative, and they offer refunds and have way, way better customer service.

exquisite tea posted:

For a few months ME3 mp was my go to time waster, and I was only playing silver matches for fun, running around as Krogan headbutting and shotgunning everything in sight. The people playing gold had it down to a science and were discussing pro game strats in the thread.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm probably snowflake gamer, but I seem to live in alternate universe where Origin support is garbage but Steam support is quick and efficient, and not dumb.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kalstrams posted:

If you have Origin accounts, check your transactions and poo poo. Found out, thankfully not the hard way, that accounts are being charged with others' purchases, some people got accounts locked when petitioning for refund.

http://www.reddit.com/r/origin/comments/2qrfjt/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2quxal/psa_if_origin_has_charged_you_for_a_game_you/

i checked my origin account for the first time in forever and theres a bunch of free stuff downloaded for fifa, my avatar is a chelsea one and my password question is set in russian, why would they bother hacking it and then not buy anything :confused:

edit: oh i guess i never actually did anything with origin besides claim free games so they don't have any payment info on me

Davincie fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 31, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kalstrams posted:

I'm probably snowflake gamer, but I seem to live in alternate universe where Origin support is garbage but Steam support is quick and efficient, and not dumb.

The one time I needed to contact steam support they were quick and efficient also, and fairly sensible. I lost my account password and username so they just asked me for a photo of the copy of HL2 I'd registered the account with, including CD key. Got the account within a day or so.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Origin will literally give you free games if you complain enough. Their support is that good/doesn't care.

The problem is there isn't a game worth owning on origin hyuk!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The one time I needed to contact steam support they were quick and efficient also, and fairly sensible. I lost my account password and username so they just asked me for a photo of the copy of HL2 I'd registered the account with, including CD key. Got the account within a day or so.
I've also had only account/store-related issues. I don't think through all dozen or so tickets I've made I had one I did wait more than 4 business days for the issue to be resolved.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Steam have been very quick and efficient when I needed to use their support. Meanwhile, Xbox Live took something like five months to fix me up properly at one point.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Origin is still a thing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Origin is still a thing?
Their client is decent and they give away free games regularly (currently it's SIM CITY 2000!!!) but outside of the few games that need it, it's pretty ignorable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Origin is still a thing?
Yes, mainly due to how widespread is the scorn of a few particular EA games.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
neat amensia is on sale, thats a good game. buy it and play it. get spooked.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Evil Within has such a godawful framerate and the resolution is only like half the screen, what is wrong with this game. Playing it after Ground Zeroes, which both looks and runs better, is a shock.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Nanomashoes posted:

The Evil Within has such a godawful framerate and the resolution is only like half the screen, what is wrong with this game. Playing it after Ground Zeroes, which both looks and runs better, is a shock.

They patched in the option to remove the bars and up the framerate to 60 not long after release

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

pentyne posted:

For a few months ME3 mp was my go to time waster, and I was only playing silver matches for fun, running around as Krogan headbutting and shotgunning everything in sight. The people playing gold had it down to a science and were discussing pro game strats in the thread.

ME3 multi is really fun. It was great when no one really knew how to play and you could jump into a match as a Vanguard and kill everything before anyone else had a chance to breath.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I will say that for all the flack EA and Origins catch, their customer service was superb. My account got hacked and had a bunch of games bought on it, and it was handled very quickly without any trouble. Friendly, too.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Me and my buddy played dead space 3 co-op and origin was never any problem

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ahundredbux posted:

Me and my buddy played dead space 3 co-op and origin was never any problem

Origin is the PC digital download equivalent to having a game in a paper sleeve.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Endless Space is great but I think some people with more experience with the genre don't like it as much. The only turn-based 4X game I had ever played before it came out was Civ, so the appeal of Endless Space for me was that it's approachable and has a fantastic interface.

If you want to look in the opposite direction, you can try Distant Worlds: Universe, which is like the most hardcore and deepest 4X game ever, from what I understand. It's not turn-based but it's pausable, sort of like a Paradox space 4X.
Thanks. I have never heard of Distant Worlds. The online reviews look pretty good. The complaints on Steam mostly appear to be with the game's Automation system. I may wait for a sale or the price to drop before trying it.

I bought Endless Space with the Harmony DLC since it was on sale on Steam (just $11). I'm not crazy about ES's combat system but I've seen games were the combat system can be easily exploited against the AI. Perhaps this card-based system can help get around that issue...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the only origin game i own is bf3 and i got it for free. who wants to game.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

nnnotime posted:

Thanks. I have never heard of Distant Worlds. The online reviews look pretty good. The complaints on Steam mostly appear to be with the game's Automation system. I may wait for a sale or the price to drop before trying it.

Hm, I think the automation is supposed to be one of the main selling points isn't it? I had never heard of the game until this RPS write-up, and he makes it sound like being able to automate whatever you don't want to deal with and scale the game appropriately is what makes it work. Maybe it's serviceable automation but not great. If it's not clear from my earlier post I haven't played the game. I don't know that I ever will: it may be too deep for me, as I've never even been able to wrap my head around a Paradox game despite knowing the periods they cover really well (which really does help as you need to know what sort of strategies and goals are realistic). But maybe if it's cheap one day I'll give it a shot.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I played distant worlds once for a very short period of time. It was extremely complicated and there were tons of interactions between all these little ships and stations and whatnot. It was really fun but learning how to do anything other than watch was more than I felt up to at the time. It's definitely a game to buy if you're into complexity.

However, it is far more complicated than modern paradox games, so make sure you're up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Blister posted:

They patched in the option to remove the bars and up the framerate to 60 not long after release

I'm playing it on PS4 but I hope there's a make the framerate better button.

• Locked thread