Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Great Joe posted:

A few years ago, it was Prototype. Then it was Just Cause 2.

Yeah this is more or less the standard on which I judge open world/sandbox games. Prototype was an absolute joy for this and I never understood why it wasn't better received because it's great for loving around in. Just Cause 2 likewise, though I really hope JC3 adds more uses for the grappling hook, because it's a shame you can't use it as a clothesline across a road to knock people off motorcycles, since it doesn't clip with anything.

GTA games are obviously great for just messing around in the environment, but there are less traditional games that you can do this in as well. I still go back to Metal Gear Solid 3 to mess with guards by knocking them out, shooting radios, etc. all the time, it's a sandbox of sorts. In fact stealth games in general are perfect for probing AI systems and generally loving around.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I couldn't get into Sleeping Dogs because the game wants you to be a good cop and not drive round the pavements getting ultra kills, which is kind of like the only thing I like doing in those games. Play Sleeping Dogs if you want to be immersed in the role of an undercover cop in Hong Kong and obey the driving laws
Sleeping Dogs' ludonarrative dissonance (:10bux: phrase, I know) is the best because the fistfighting is just so immediate and brutal. You call your superiors to let them know about the latest in the horrible crime family, hang up the phone, then sprint down the street and do a flying kick to the back of some random woman's head. Every open world game has this dissonance to some degree, but the fact that you're an undercover cop actually makes more sense to me than in other games where you're meant to be the good guy, because I just assume your superiors have no idea what you're up to, and you're just some psychopath taking advantage of the situation to do all kinds of horrible stuff.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Starbound single player is really boring. Starbound with one or more friends and voice communication owns. Terraria was the same way so this shouldn't be a surprise.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

nnnotime posted:

What's a good space 4X these days? The last 4X I really liked was MOO1 (i.e., the original Masters of Orion). I tried to like Moo2 but could not. The clone Moo2 version, Birth of a Federation did not work out for me, either. Space Empires also had issues.

I would keep playing MOO1, but it has lost it's challenge.

Any space 4X with a decent AI these days? I'm not interested in any Kickstarters since I don't have time to alpha or beta-test software in return for a product that has a chance of never being completed.

EDIT: Endless Space appears to be the best candidate so far, and it's on sale on Steam until Jan 2nd.

Endless Space is great but I think some people with more experience with the genre don't like it as much. The only turn-based 4X game I had ever played before it came out was Civ, so the appeal of Endless Space for me was that it's approachable and has a fantastic interface.

If you want to look in the opposite direction, you can try Distant Worlds: Universe, which is like the most hardcore and deepest 4X game ever, from what I understand. It's not turn-based but it's pausable, sort of like a Paradox space 4X.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

nnnotime posted:

Thanks. I have never heard of Distant Worlds. The online reviews look pretty good. The complaints on Steam mostly appear to be with the game's Automation system. I may wait for a sale or the price to drop before trying it.

Hm, I think the automation is supposed to be one of the main selling points isn't it? I had never heard of the game until this RPS write-up, and he makes it sound like being able to automate whatever you don't want to deal with and scale the game appropriately is what makes it work. Maybe it's serviceable automation but not great. If it's not clear from my earlier post I haven't played the game. I don't know that I ever will: it may be too deep for me, as I've never even been able to wrap my head around a Paradox game despite knowing the periods they cover really well (which really does help as you need to know what sort of strategies and goals are realistic). But maybe if it's cheap one day I'll give it a shot.

• Locked thread