Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wei always seemed like he would be exactly the kind of person who would be in the triads if his life took a different path and he didn't end up as a cop.

This is why he's so loving good at it, it's what he was born to be, he just happened to fall into it in an unconventional manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Maybe I'll give it another go just playing like a dick, it just felt like you were playing against the game's expectations even more than usual and that took me out of it. I guess that's why Saint's Row works so well, where the actual narrative and gameplay mechanics are perfectly in sync with the player being a tremendous dick.

Normally I'd agree but they actually mention this numerous times in the cutscenes, usually along the lines of "You're going in too deep, we're pulling you out" and Wei going "gently caress you, I'm too involved to quit now" which is probably code for "I like beating the poo poo out of people"

Wei has no problems with killing people, which is kind of a hosed up thing for an undercover cop to do. Reading his psyche reports also mentions that he has a tendency to get too involved with things.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hoooly poo poo Blacklist is a good game.

Just did that mission with the panic room and taking out those commandos in one smooth motion felt good, man.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If I specifically want a stealth rear end stealth game close to Chaos Theory is it good?

You can play three styles: Ghost, Panther and Assault.

Ghost is classic splinter cell, where you sneak around and either knock people out or just avoid them. Assault is when you go in guns blazing and Panther is conviction style murder of everyone while nobody can find you etc.

There's a few forced sections where you have to take people out (protecting people is the big one) but you can play in classic style if you like with a ton of cool gadgets like the tri-rotor etc.

Only bad thing is no more Michael Ironside.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dravinski posted:

I had quite a few graphical artifacts throughout the game and it really put me off. I should maybe try and play it again sometime, the game seemed really beautiful other than that.

I had a glitch where Laras face was all hosed up, like the SSAO was all wrong and she was wearing blackface but it's a cool game and you should finish it

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When Lara gets the grenade launcher and starts screaming that they're all gonna die and she's coming for them I had a tingly feeling in my undercarriage.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That was a genuinely cool segment since she gets punished all through the game and that's the first real time she acknowledges that she's tired of it. The actual gameplay point that happens is when she gets the shotgun, though. That thing is a literal boomstick

E: Wolfenstein the new order is pretty cool too. Only reason to stop using dual assault rifles is to use the MG45

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 4, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FactsAreUseless posted:

I remember Serious Sam 1 having really great level design, and every subsequent game having worse and worse design until they decided to go grey/brown modern shooter in Serious Sam 3.

I love people defending this, saying that it's just a parody and the game really opens up later on.

It doesn't. It's still the same poo poo brown shooter.

^^^ Well designed custom wads are usually built along the idea that you're an expert at the game, or at least have some idea of how certain mechanics work (i.e. pain thresholds, the bfg mechanics etc) and are more like real-time puzzle games than the regular doom stuff.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 6, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

SS3 isn't as good as SS1 obviously but this is plain wrong, get to the end of the game some time

Why would I want to get to the end of a poo poo game and hope it turns out better when I can play a better game (any of the previous SS, including 2) and experience the end state right from the start?

There's a point where something stops being a parody and starts being what you're parodying, and I think it's about the time you're forced to do lovely unfun things for no real reason.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Blacklist just decided to throw a first person segment in. I guess they want to give a taste of what it's like to play as the mercs, but spies are cooler and get more toys.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
lmao Blacklist has a few cool things but god drat it suffers from Ubi-itis at times. There's one mission in Guantanamo Bay where you have to not kill anybody. I snuck around perfectly and a dog discovered me. I decided "What the hell" and just shot the dog in the skull. Failed the mission because I killed an American Soldier :911:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

oblivion was total garbage

Two Worlds was much better

shame about the sequel

Finally a sensible opinion.

Two World is legit a better game than Oblivion in virtually every way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When I was about 7 there was this dude that used to horde cats on my street. He ended up dying of a heart attack and his cats ate him.

I'm pretty sure if I died my dog would eventually eat me but it would be very much an act of pure survival rather than just being an rear end in a top hat like cats are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Excels posted:

what is so great about twin peaks, whenever i hear about it peopel are either making fun of it or jizzing everywhere about how deep it is

It's basically a soap opera directed by David Lynch. As for the plot, it's sort of an expansion of the ideas in Blue Velvet, about how in otherwise idyllic small town life there's something huge and horrible lurking right beneath the surface.

If you liked Blue Velvet you would probably like Twin Peaks.

• Locked thread