Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Let's Play Rockman 4 Minus Infinity!

:megaman: WHAT IS THIS? :megaman:
Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is a fantastic Mega Man 4 hack made by Japanese romhacker PureSabe. It adds an insane amount of new content, bringing in enemies from other Classic titles along with brand new stages, bosses, weapons and music, creating a truly unique and fun experience. While the game is hard, it is very manageable as well - you start with many items such as the Energy Balancer and Rush Search to make your life easier. I'll be doing a complete, 100% playthrough, showing off all the game has to offer including the secret bosses. After I complete the normal game, I'll be tackling the brand-new Hard Mode, which was only added after Version 0.01, the version most people played. There will be pain. Lots of pain.

:megaman: VIDEOS :megaman:

SnoruntPyro fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
:megaman: MUSIC :megaman:
PureSabe did quite a job at pulling music from ridiculously obscure games. Courtesy of Rubilac comes the full soundtrack! I'll be updating the list as more videos come out.

Tracks without a source are unchanged.

Intro
Title (Source: Mega Man V - Unused Track)
Stage Select (Source: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - Ripple Star Map)
Stage Selected (Source: Atlantis no Nazo - Stage Start)

Bright Man (Source: F-Zero X - Dream Chaser)
Toad Man (Source: Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru - The Prince's Adventure)
Ring Man (Source: Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Cheese Land)
Drill Man (Source: Challenger - Marche Militaire)
Pharaoh Man (Source: Actraiser - Fillmore)
Dive Man (Source: Mappy Kids - Stage 3)
Skull Man (Source: Hudson's Adventure Island 2 - Cloud Island)
Dust Man (Source: Doraemon: Giga Zombie no Gyakushu - Underworld Map)
Boss (Source: Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo - Off to War)
Secret Boss (Source: Mega Man V - Sunstar)

Stage Cleared (Source: Pokémon Red & Blue - Evolution Complete)
Weapon Get (Source: RPG Maker GB - Isamashii)
Secret Weapon Get (Source: Super Metroid - Get Item)
Game Over (Source: Shin Onigashima - Event Jingle)
Game Over 2 (Source: Famicom Tantei Club - Utsugi Office)

Cossack Citadel
Cossack Citadel, Stage 1 (Source: Ninja Cop Saizou - Overworld Stage)
Cossack Citadel, Stage 2 (Source: Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom - Resistance Base)
Cossack Citadel, Stage 3 (Source: Ninja Cop Saizou - Sewer Stages)
Cossack Citadel, Stage 4 (Source: Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom - Castle)
Cossack Citadel Boss (Source: Densetsu no Stafy 3 - Ogura 2)

Skull Castle
Skull Castle, Stage 1 (Source: Hokkaido Serial Murders: Okhotsk Vanishes - Okhotsk Vanishes)
Skull Castle, Stage 2 (Source: Gradius 2 - Overheat)
Skull Castle Boss (Source: Densetsu no Stafy 3 - Evil)
Skull Castle, Stage 3 Intro (Source: Hokkaido Serial Murders: Okhotsk Vanishes - Coal Mine)
Skull Castle, Stage 3 (Source: Hokkaido Serial Murders: Okhotsk Vanishes - Pursuit)
Kalinka's Rescue (Source: Hokkaido Serial Murders - Makiko's Rescue)
Wily Machine (Source: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Battle 3)
Chimerabot #1 (Source: Mega Man 1 + Mega Man 3 Boss Themes)
Chimerabot #2 (Source: Mega Man 2 + Mega Man 3 Boss Themes)
Chimerabot #3 (Source: Mega Man 3 Boss Theme)
Wily Capsule (Source: Doraemon GB - Final Stage)
Skull Castle, Stage 4 (Source: Gradius 2 - Something Ghostly)
Subtle Kirby Reference (Source: Kirby Super Star - Escape the Halberd!)
Game Clear (Source: Kirby Super Star - Kirby's Triumphant Return)

Mega Man 4 - Original Staff Roll (Source: Wicked 18 - Main Menu)
Robot Master Demo (Source: Fire Emblem: Dragon of Darkness and the Sword of Light - Main Theme)
Staff Roll (Sources: Kirby Super Star - Staff Roll, Kirby's Block Ball - Staff Roll, Kirby's Dream Course - Staff Roll)
Results (Source: Mega Man V - Unused Track)

???
???
???
???
???

SnoruntPyro fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 13, 2015

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
:megaman: WEAPONS :megaman:

Rock Buster MI
Power: 1
Speed: 4.2
Rapidness: 3
Cost: 0

The buster is mostly the same as the original. The fully charged shot has a new sprite. However, due to how the game is balanced, the buster is incredibly weak and not a good idea to use against most bosses, as they will take 2 damage on average from a charge shot as opposed to the normal 3, and they will have annoyingly long invincibility frames.

Spark Manbow
Power: 2
Speed: 3.1
Cost: 1

Spark Manbow is a cool, powerful, multipurpose weapon. You can shoot explosive lightbulbs that can multihit enemies, or hold Up and Shoot to freeze time, or hold Down and Shoot to hold the lightbulb out in front of you for continuous damage. Not much else to it.

Toad Spell
Power: -
Speed: -
Rapidness: 1
Cost: 4

Toad Spell is great. When you use it, you get a nice little star effect before turning most enemies (and items!) into toads, instantly killing/destroying them. Any enemy not turned into a toad takes major damage. The toads will then start jumping around and if you touch them, they get squashed and may drop items. Toad Spell also messes with other things, such as shutting down conveyor belts and destroying all bullets.

Drill Torpedo
Power: 4
Speed: 6.0

I love this weapon. It's a great, powerful weapon that pierces everything. If you press the fire button when drills are already on screen, they vaporize and you fire again. The only problem is the ammo - for such a spammable weapon it has some low ammo.

Pharaoh Shotgun
Speed: 4.0
Rapidness: 5

Pharaoh Shotgun is total garbage compared to every other weapon in the game. It shoots out five Pharaoh Shots at once, and that's pretty much it. It isn't even aimable or anything, and it even takes the exact same amount of weapon energy as the original Pharaoh Shot. You can still charge it, I guess, but there's no reason to use it at all besides as a weakness or if you ran out of every other weapon.

Holdable Control Ring Boomerang
Speed: 7.0
Rapidness: 4
Cost: 1/2

HCR Boomerang is an incredibly versatile weapon, being able to be thrown in all 8 directions ala Metal Blade for a relatively low energy cost. By holding B, you can stop the ring from coming back to you and let it hold in place. This ability is great for rapid-hitting stationary or relatively stationary enemies/minibosses such as Jumbig. It's also a very spammable weapon, and with its power it's great for quickly taking out enemies. It also can grab items and give them to you, like in the fourth Gameboy game.

Recycle Inhaler
Cost: 4

Recycle Inhaler is a pretty fun weapon. When you use it, you inhale any enemies in range ala Kirby and turn them into pickups. You can also inhale other items if you found an item you didn't need. The weapon can also kill enemies that are normally invincible, like Mets under their helmets or the sawblade enemies. You can also inhale certain enemies, bosses and items, like a Met or Shadow Man, to get new special items.

Water Cutter
Power: 1
Speed: 16.0
Cost: 1/3

Water Cutter is an incredibly fast-traveling, eight-directional, piercing weapon. It's basically Metal Blade but cooler. Although its speed is high, the laser is big enough that the piercing can deal quite a few hits to enemies.

Hell Wheel
Power: 3
Speed: 2.7
Cost: 3

Hell Wheel is an amazing weapon. When used, not only will you put up and keep an improved, stronger, multi-hitting Skull Barrier, but you'll also start moving incredibly fast. It's pretty hard to stand still with it, and you can't pause while the wheel is active, so you have to stop the wheel by running into a wall or pressing B again. It destroys bullets and small enemies on touch as well.

Rush Search
Rapidness: -
Cost: 9

Rush Search replaces Rush Coil, and is basically your portable Eddie. It's rather helpful for getting yourself to full health before a boss or for refilling on weapon energy, since those are its two main drops. It also doesn't take 15 hours for Rush to dig something up like in Mega Man 7.

Rush Cannon
Power: 28
Speed: 6.0
Cost: 14

Rush Cannon replaces Rush Marine, and oh what a beautiful replacement it is. When you use it, you'll call down Rush only for him to fly off in whatever direction you're facing. Whatever Rush touches will instantly die, be it a Batton or a Jumbig. It does have a high energy cost, though, and it's pretty hard to use against bosses.

Wish Star
Power: 14
Cost: 28

When you use this, Rush will come down and once you hop on him, you'll do a huge full-screen attack that can destroy any enemy or bullet. The attack gets more powerful the lower your health is. Since it only has one shot though, it's not very useful.

Balloon Adaptor
Rapidness: -
Cost: 10

The Balloon Adaptor has been very heavily buffed in this game, being able to be controlled in all eight directions ala Rush Jet from Mega Man 3. It will drain energy while you're on the balloon, but at a very slow rate. The only disadvantage to it is its very high cost for making one balloon - ten energy.

Wire Adaptor
Speed: 8.0
Cost: 0

Hell yeah, it's if Mega Man got the hookshot. This amazing beauty can be fired in all eight directions, sticks to surfaces, does more damage than the buster, and can be used in the air, unlike its original counterpart. You can also use it infinitely, allowing it to be used anywhere at any time.

SnoruntPyro fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 13, 2015

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Ooh, Minus Infinity. This particular hack always looked very interesting. But I'm sufficiently-bad at Mega Man games that this just taunted me with nice content that I'd probably never see by myself. Glad to see you're covering it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Account made 2 days ago... Well the OP isn't trash... Wait not a dump... WAIT actually GOOD?

A Kwanzaa miracle if I've ever seen one! Keep up the awesome work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've seen a few people take a stab at this -- it came up in the Hard Games Thread, for example. But that wasn't 1.0, and they didn't try to 100% the game either. So this ought to be interesting.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

With as much effort as the hacker put into this, it's great to see MI being shown with the same amount of effort. Keep up the good work, I'll be following this eagerly!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've read a lot about this game, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough to play it myself, so I'll be following this eagerly. As it is, it's already proving to be pretty good, I like most of what I see, although the Pokemon music will never stop being weird to me, I'm way too accustomed to it in an entirely different scenario to accept it as the stage clear sound.

I like the effort you put into explaining the changes and stuff that was going on, SnoruntPyro, so I'll follow for that too. Keep up the good work!

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Update!

"Rush may dig the life energy in ceatain situation"

Also, there's a bit of sprite flickering, but I have the allow 8+ sprites enabled, so it's not as bad.

And thanks for the feedback!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Nice video! Your commentary is notably improved -- it wasn't bad for Ring Man but Skull Man is definitely better. One word of advice though: there's no need to blitz through your updates. The most prolific LPers don't generally post more than three updates a week unless they're doing an LP that's seriously heavy in audience participation, and 1-2 updates/week is often plenty. Give your audience time to chew the fat over the most recent update.

My biggest gripe with Hell Wheel is that it makes the Minus Infinity TAS kind of dull.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I like fast updates personally. no need to draw it out if you do it quickly, as long as its not due to feeling pressure.

I think a guy here finished an earthbound lp that was pretty through in like 3 weeks?
Good job so far

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This looks pretty interesting, where can you pick this up from?

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
A quick Google search should lead you. You're also going to need to patch a Japanese MM4 ROM, not an English one.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I've really enjoyed the LP so far - very informative! Will you be playing any other mega man hacks in the future?

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
I don't know, there aren't many other hacks I've played, let alone finished.

Also, update!

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
This game is pretty legit, although I gotta say your commentary sounds like you're giving a book report with how well you enunciate. Not really a bad thing, it does lend to the informational style you're going for, but I can't get past this feeling like I should give you a smiley faced star.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not familiar with all Rockman games, what kind of item did you get for beating the secret boss? You don't need to day it if you plan to show it off in the next video though.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Torrannor posted:

I'm not familiar with all Rockman games, what kind of item did you get for beating the secret boss? You don't need to day it if you plan to show it off in the next video though.
I got the Wire adaptor, a support item. I'll be showing it off in the next video though, Toad Man's stage has a good amount of places to show how crazy it is.

Thanks for the comments and feedback so far, by the way.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Update!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Welp, whatever else you can say about that boss fight, Toad Man's sure not the pushover he was in the original.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Just chiming in to say I'm really enjoying this LP.

Never played anything but MM1-3, but was super into the X-series. Musically, though, the original series peaked for me with this. Bunch of cool remixes for it, too.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This is really good. Keep it up!

It's been really interesting to see how RM4MI has developed over the years. I remember when PureSabe was still tinkering with Hell Wheel and made it so overpowered that you could go through the entire game (barring a few stages which hadn't been finished at the time) using it exclusively.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Update!

What, is it a tradition that all of the Dust Man stages have to have something really lovely in them?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The background music is really quiet in the latest video.

Other than that this is some stellar work right here. Keep it up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That temperature gimmick is interesting, though it should probably come with epilepsy warnings. But it's cool to see what modders can do with such an old game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You're doing fine work here.

I personally can't say I'm too fond of Minus Infinity - it is a little too style over substance to me. Not to say that there isn't some genuinely good or even amazing level design in there, but more often than not PureSabre is content with flexing his modding muscles and put something flashy in that might just not be as fun too actually play than something that would be a little more constrained. Like ALL THE PLATFORMS (even the bad ones) in Skull Man or HEAT DISTORTION OH BOY in Dust. Still, I really like seeing the game in motion and the amount of love and effort put into it is definitely something to be admired.

EDIT: vvvvvv they're not.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 19, 2015

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yikes, that heat distortion room and the garbage room don't look like they're very much fun to play.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The trash room actually appears to follow a predictable set of behaviors rather than a pattern (while I haven't played it, I've watched a ton of different playthroughs at this point). Blocks can only move left, down, or at a 45 degree downward angle. This means that the higher and further left you are in the room, the less likely you are to be hit. This also means the set of safe zones is actually pretty extensive as the room fills.

...Violen, I miss you, come back!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 21, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I wonder if there's a stage that uses your transformation positively, like Pollo Power in Guacamelee.

I realize that one is the morph ball in your Metroidvania, but still.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Update!

What kind of twisted world is this where Pharaoh Shot is buffed but is the worst weapon in the game?

Simply Simon posted:

I personally can't say I'm too fond of Minus Infinity - it is a little too style over substance to me. Not to say that there isn't some genuinely good or even amazing level design in there, but more often than not PureSabre is content with flexing his modding muscles and put something flashy in that might just not be as fun too actually play than something that would be a little more constrained. Like ALL THE PLATFORMS (even the bad ones) in Skull Man or HEAT DISTORTION OH BOY in Dust.

I can definitely see that, especially with Dust Man & Pharaoh Man. Dust has a ton of gimmicks like HEAT DISTORTION and the awful trash block section and ends up being one of the less good stages.

Discendo Vox posted:

The trash room actually appears to follow a predictable set of behaviors rather than a pattern (while I haven't played it, I've watched a ton of different playthroughs at this point). Blocks can only move left, down, or at a 45 degree downward angle. This means that the higher and further left you are in the room, the less likely you are to be hit. This also means the set of safe zones is actually pretty extensive as the room fills.
Huh, interesting. I'm going to have to look into that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Pharaoh Man lava doesn't show up because it's blinking on and off at 30Hz to simulate transparency, and YouTube only does 30FPS (or thereabouts). So depending on which frames the YouTube encode grabs, the lava is either wholly solid or completely invisible.

You can run a deblinking filter on your video prior to encoding to fix this, or so I'm lead to understand, but it's nontrivial.

EDIT: also, stop apologizing for your corny puns. If you're gonna make bad jokes, be proud! Own your corniness! :colbert:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That Pharaoh Man fight looked impossible to figure out what was happening.

And that Dust Man room is based on this bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0qDwbvVgU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

EDIT: also, stop apologizing for your corny puns. If you're gonna make bad jokes, be proud! Own your corniness! :colbert:

Agreed, we like our terrible puns here in Let's Play.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Oh nice! I was really looking forward to this thread for a while now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I see what Simply Simon meant about style over substance. It's definitely neat that he managed to mod an old game like this, but some of his gameplay and level design decisions could have been better thought out. Also, reverse controls in a platformer is a really stupid gimmick that adds absolutely nothing to the game.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
The robut master stages aside from a couple of extenuating circumstance don't really showcase the kind of good design that Puresabe is capable of. Several of the fortress stages (namely Cossack 3) really show the kind of good design he is capable of. Where the gimmicks are kept to a minimum and just showcases good, tough but fair level design.

Then of course in a later build he crapped out the new boss in Wily 4 fight which is just in excusably bad.

Stay polarizing and beautiful forever, Minus Infinity.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

doing the obvious posted:

Then of course in a later build he crapped out the new boss in Wily 4 fight which is just in excusably bad.
Oh, you think Super Shadowman is bad?! You clearly haven't seen the true awful bullshit that is Cockroach Omega.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

SnoruntPyro posted:

Oh, you think Super Shadowman is bad?! You clearly haven't seen the true awful bullshit that is Cockroach Omega.

The special boss for the arena is worse, yes, but I still say that bonus boss in Wily 4 is in excusably bad. If you do well at the game you get rewarded with a really obnoxious and unfair boss. Granted the reward for actually beating him is game-breakingly good.

The roach jerk is just there for people who like bad difficulty. Something that is difficult just for the sake of being difficult and not rewarding in the slightest.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Holy goddamn, how did a kid like you learn about classic NES romhacks? Good LP so far.

e: gently caress I'm getting old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Those bosses are perfectly fine, given what is necessary to reach them.

• Locked thread