Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
UPDATE 4/20: Now that we're in the land of the rising anime, if you're an ADTRW regular, please be nice and don't post spoilers related to the shows currently airing on the block (well, within reason at least, no one cares if you spoil Naruto). A lot of us bakas are going in blind to these shows, so don't be rude.

A Quick Note: PLEASE FEEL WELCOME TO DISCUSS ANY AND ALL SHOWS! A lot of people always push for the thread to get separated into AS and Toonami threads, but I really didn't see the need when it's only bombarded on Saturday nights, the same as most other TV IV threads when goons start live posting while watching the shows. Also, talk of comedy stuff tends to get spread out because AS spreads it out during the week instead of putting premieres all on one night. But if you want to talk about how great Eric Andre or any of AS's other programming is any other day of the week, do so with pride. I encourage it! I assure you, we're open. THAT SAID:

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a Saturday chock full of anime.

What's on right now?

Black Jesus
Fridays at 11:00

The brainchild of Aaron McGruder, creator of comic strip/hit TV show The Boondocks, Black Jesus is... exactly what it says on the tin. Jesus has returned, he's black, and he's just chillin' with his friends in Compton smoking weed, spreading the word, and accidentally pissing off the one guy in his neighborhood who doesn't believe he's the real deal.

Mike Tyson Mysteries
Sundays at 12:15!

Mike Tyson Mysteries is exactly what it sounds like. It's Mike Tyson solving mysteries with his adopted daughter Yung Hee (Rachel Ramras), his ghost pal Marquess of Queensbury (Jim Rash), and Pigeon (Norm MacDonald) an alcoholic womanizer whose ex-wife magically turned him into a pigeon who lives with Mike. See, totally normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58WJ-4PxcU

What's coming this year?

:siren:A BUNCH OF NEW PILOTS:siren:
In addition to these shows, Adult Swim recently announced a shitload of new pilots! No news about when they'll air, but you can read some press summaries here!

Most notable is TV SUCKS, coming from Brad Neely, creator of much beloved (and much canceled) show China, IL. So hopefully that'll be good.

Other Returning Programs

(None of the following have set dates that they're coming back but they've all been greenlit for new seasons so expect them in the vague future)

The Eric Andre Show

Eric Andre is back for the best late night show on television. That's all the summary you loving need, Eric Andre rules, watch this show you cretins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5uLc0N4r2U

Squidbillies

Squidbillies is basically Aqua Teen Hunger Force with redneck jokes. It's very funny, but if you don't like ATHF's style of low budget, barely-animated comedy well then you won't like this.

The Jack and Triumph Show

Anybody remember Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? It was a skit back on Late Night with Conan O'Brien when Conan hosted that show. Triumph is just a hand puppet with a cigar but is voiced by veteran SNL writer Robert Smigel and they'd go places and, well, insult people. Hilarity ensued. Triumph has shown up less and less in recent years but now they're doing a show essentially starring him along with Jack McBrayer (of 30 Rock fame).

It's a mix of scripted stuff and improv (of course). The narrative part is that McBrayer is a former child star who used to be on a Lassie-like TV show with Triumph, and Triumph basically ruined his life. Now years later Triumph comes back into Jack's life as he's finally pulled it together. Here's a clip where you can see how they kind of blend the scripted stuff with the classic insult bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuVgR_7DiSE

Mr. Pickles

A show that got picked out of several pilots by users on AS's website and is created by two guys who wrote sketches for Funny Or Die. It's basically a parody of Lassie where Lassie is actually the spawn of Satan.

You can watch the original pilot here (:nws: for more than a spot of the ol' ultraviolence)

I think it looks loving abominable, but hey, taste is subjective, so maybe this is your thing (if it is you are a bad person). And hey it got renewed so FFFFFUUUUCKKKKK

Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty is basically what would happen if Doc Brown was even smarter, but a raging alcoholic and Marty McFly was his stupid grandson instead of a cool 80s kid. Has its own dedicated thread here. Surprising no one, the show got renewed for a third season, because it loving rules. Watch the show if you haven't already, you loving cretin. rick and morty a hundred years dot com.

The Venture Broth-hahahahah are you kidding me? Are you loving kidding me?

Okay look, so AS ordered a 6th season, and Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick said it would be out in Fall 2014. Considering the three year gap between seasons 4 and 5, and the fact that it's already 2015 (summer as of this edit), I'd say don't hold your breath, but gently caress it I'll put it in the thread.

I mean, it did have one special already I guess. But they also had a music video wayyyy before season 5 so hey whatev. UPDATE 10/21: AS released a trailer for season 6, swearing that VB is coming back Spring 2016. I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe not even then.

Has its own thread here.

There's also reruns of Family Guy, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, King of the Hill, and (for now) the Cleveland Show. They'll be there until the heat death of the universe, or until Fox decides to stop letting AS re-air them, whichever comes first. All of those shows have their own threads and aren't AS's so I'm not really gonna bother going into detail.

AND NOW FOR SATURDAYS...

Toonami is an action block that ran on Cartoon Network from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime (and stuff like Batman: TAS but most people just remember the anime) and are most notable for basically bringing Dragonball Z to the US (for better or for worse). AS brought it back for their April Fools prank in 2012 and people lost their poo poo in a fit of nostalgia so now its back for good and has supplanted the AS Anime block.

Currently airing:

12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai
like dis if u are a 90s kid

Look we all know what Dragon Ball Z is, let's not bullshit around. You can talk all about how much you hate anime, (and you may actually hate anime) but everyone knows what DBZ is so I'm not going to explain it.

I should explain that the "Kai" is there because the animation has been remastered for HDTV (however, it has not been redone entirely, meaning that it is still the old footage in 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning that when this airs you will see annoying black bars on the side of your screen, but don't adjust your TV, it'll just make Goku stretchy). The voice acting has also been redone entirely, and the soundtrack has been replaced with the original Japanese one. Those of you who grew up watching the dubbed version in the old days with the replaced score by Bruce Faulconer may now feel free to get into heated comment wars about which music score is superior. Finally, the "Kai" is there because it's supposed to cut a ton of filler. None of that "whole episode worth of charging an attack" poo poo. Kai's all killer, no filler, baby.

I was gonna look for more funny gifs but look, I think I know what everybody wants when we're discussing DBZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_CcJ-uBWI

12:30 - Akame Ga Kill!
Gratuitous violence is good enough to make up for a plot deficit right?

...I don't know anything about this show so here's the Wikipedia summary:

quote:

The story focuses on Tatsumi, a young villager who travels to the Capital to raise money for his home only to discover a strong corruption in the area. The assassin group Night Raid recruits the young man to help them in their fight against the Empire to end its corruption.

Apparently it has a lot of violence? Hopefully entertaining!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc5CtKSR244

1:00 - Parasyte -the maxim-
WHO'S READY FOR BODY HORROR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQKjykQTgIQ

Parasyte centers on a 17-year-old teen named Shinichi Izumi, who lives with his mother and father in a quiet neighborhood in Tokyo. One night, worm-like creatures called Parasites appear on Earth, taking over the brains of human hosts by entering through their ears or noses. One Parasite attempts to crawl into Shinichi's ear while he sleeps, but fails as Shinichi is wearing headphones, and enters his body by burrowing into his arm instead. The parasite is named Migi, after the Japanese word for "right", because the Japanese are nothing if not witty. Because Shinichi was able to prevent Migi from travelling further up into his brain, both beings retain their separate intellect and personality. As the duo encounter other Parasites, they capitalize on their strange situation and gradually form a strong bond, working together to survive. This gives them an edge in battling other Parasites who frequently attack the pair upon realization that Shinichi's human brain is still intact.

But that's not to say the series doesn't know how to have fun.

1:30 - Michiko & Hatchin
Shinichiro Watanabe presents Cowgirl Brazil-bop

Hana is a little Japanese Cinderella, living a lovely life playing maid for an abusive foster family in Brazil. Michiko is an ex-con who escapes from a supposedly inescapable prison fortress. Michiko rescues Hana from her poo poo life because she's on the hunt for Hana's father, Hiroshi, who she is convinced is alive (despite all evidence pointing to the contrary). Oh, and Hana changes her name to Hatchin because she has so many bad memories associated with her real name. It's another show by Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame and is stylish as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQmWrRZKS60&t=7s

2:00 - Naruto Shippuden
Taking the stealth out of ninjas since 2002

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Unfortunately he's got a demon locked up inside him and it seems like a bunch of evil guys want to capture it (and use it for nefarious purposes). Here's where the recap ends because here's the problem, Shippuden starts after a timeskip and Toonami only showed 20 episodes of Naruto Original Recipe, and Naruto's like 400 episodes long so I guess if you want an actual recap, you better hit loving Google, son, because I'm not reading a wiki to write a synopsis and Shippuden sure doesn't waste no time explaining who old characters are, it just launches right ahead...

Now that Bleach is finally dead, Naruto has taken the title belt of "slowest moving program on the block" which is frankly remarkable since Naruto is supposedly just getting started and is still just goddamn glacial.

2:30 - One Piece
Yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

A show about pirates. But they're the protagonists so they're heroic. They fight bad pirates. Also the government (who are bad). Cast includes a reindeer who is a doctor, a man who can talk with a sword in his mouth and their captain, a man made of rubber. Actually, you know what, if you need a summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI
This is not the actual intro but there is never a bad reason to link the pirate rap

3:00 - Kill La Kill
-or- Boobs La Butt
or Fan La Service
or Giant-Block-Of-Red-Japanese-Text-That-Doesn't-Really-Translate-Well La Joke

Ryuko Matoi is a girl looking for her father's murderer. She transfers to Honnouji Academy where for some reason the school's Student Council runs the entire town in some sort of nightmarish caste structure based around your kid's status in clubs and poo poo. Oh and all (well, some) of the school has weird superpowers given to them by their school uniforms called Goku uniforms because if you're gonna name your power suit, you name after the best. Anyway Ryuko discovers her father's long-lost secret lab and a super-secret amazing Goku uniform that makes her stronger than everyone at the school at the cost of making her into a nerd's wet dream nearly nude. Watch as she tries to find out who killed her father. Spoiler Alert: poo poo gets real weird real fast about midway through when the production team decided to throw basically the whole original premise out the window.

Here watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iX64NmUDA

What's coming this year?

THIS SPACE TO BE FILLED - Something whenever Michiko and Hatchin wraps because AS/Toonami aren't really in the rerun game much anymore. Maybe they'll announce and simul-dub Sword Art Online III :getin:

Maybe the English dub of Dragonball Super, since they're getting that on Toonami's Asian affiliate and ain't nothing kills in ratings like super saiyans. Who knows?

ALSO

Every Saturday night while more boring anime is on TV, Waffleman is building you a better cartoon show. He calls it Goonami because he's a loving dork. Read about that here

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Demyx

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sword Art Online Forever

e: gently caress

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I just want to say, The Eric Andre Show is good and I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xsy3qhTO04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OC5NgvAnVY

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
first for anime

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
gently caress anime have another Eric Andre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9B7BQWnZJs

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I really want more episodes of Deadman Wonderland.

Don't know if they made that really lovely awesome theme song just for the English version or what but i couldn't get it out of my head the first they showed it so i can't wait for more!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man the toonami lineup is pretty dire

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
yeah they ran out of money hard. It was for space dandy though, so it was worth it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

yeah they ran out of money hard. It was for space dandy though, so it was worth it

Everything is worth it for dandy

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I imagine that AoT and Hellsing cost a pretty penny as well

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those 'calls' to Nippon were pretty expensive for sure

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That's kind of always been how Toonami does, though. A moment of intense gloriousness, then the long dark of the same goddamn thing for a while.

Edit: For the love of god pick up Stardust Crusaders

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Somebody sort of needs to license the series stateside for that to actually happen.

And no, Viz's little test dub on Crunchyroll does not count.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Somebody sort of needs to license the series stateside for that to actually happen.

And no, Viz's little test dub on Crunchyroll does not count.

If they made a whole extra season of Space Dandy happen, they can make JoJo's happen.

Eventually.

God drat it I just want more JoJo's is that so much to ask.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
yes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Eric Andre and Newsreaders are moving to Fridays soon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

First you air bad DBZ movies, now this betrayal. What have I ever done to you?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

If they get Stardust Crusaders they better sure as poo poo get the 2012 season as well.

And do it right, of course. That means loving Roundabout.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

If they get Stardust Crusaders they better sure as poo poo get the 2012 season as well.

And do it right, of course. That means loving Roundabout.

That would also sadly mean Phantom Blood.

God drat is Phantom Blood boring as hell.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That would also sadly mean Phantom Blood.

God drat is Phantom Blood boring as hell.

I like Phantom Blood. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wait, did you think I actually aired Bio Broly?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I like Phantom Blood. :colbert:

I'm sorry but goddamn.

Phantom Blood isn't without its moments but it can't top Battle Tendency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxlJJdh_0Kc

And Battle Tendency is bullshit compared to the rest of the series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was Battle of the Gods.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

It was Battle of the Gods.

I missed last week, thank you for airing a good DBZ movie. I am sorry for doubting you.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

But battle of the gods was good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Eric Andre and Newsreaders are moving to Fridays soon.

I have fixed these grievous errors. Has there been any announcement as to when they're coming back from hiatus? Because everywhere I checked online indicated their seasons aren't over and I figured premieres just got pushed aside due to holiday poo poo, but... well it's kinda gettin' over the holidays now and I want mah new episodes.

Although really what would be ideal would be Eric Andre doing another New Year's Spooktacular since I don't have much planned tomorrow night.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm sorry but goddamn.

Phantom Blood isn't without its moments but it can't top Battle Tendency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxlJJdh_0Kc

And Battle Tendency is bullshit compared to the rest of the series.

I never said Battle Tendency wasn't better. Its just that I wouldn't be against re-watching Phantom Blood if it meant the series would be dubbed and air on Toonami.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

The JoJo dub was good.

Would it make sense to have something about Goonami in the op ?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I never said Battle Tendency wasn't better. Its just that I wouldn't be against re-watching Phantom Blood if it meant the series would be dubbed and air on Toonami.

Yeah, I'd be for it too. It just seems, looking back, Phantom Blood is really crappy in comparison. That's always seemed to be the biggest barrier for getting people into JoJo's for me: getting them past Phantom Blood. poo poo, my last friend I skipped right to Stardust Crusaders.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

The JoJo dub was good.

Would it make sense to have something about Goonami in the op ?

Sure why not. I don't watch along regularly, but it seems like the site/channel you guys use has been changing the past couple of weeks. What should I link to?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Luckily, I have something prepared.

Goonami is a special broadcast by Toonami Goons for Toonami Goons. Originally started to air Redline during the Attack on Titan Labor Day marathon, it's become a regular preshow/dead air filler, airing its own programming. Goonami regularly starts at about 9 Eastern, beginning its first feature at 11:00 and its second feature during Shonen Dead Hour at 1:00.

Goonami can usually be accessed at this site.

Here's a look at what awaits Goonami viewers in 2015.

I dunno

I'm going home for the summer and between capped internet and my job, I won't be able to run things. You guys are on your own. I think the consensus is for someone to start up an auxiliary channel, and you guys are on your own with that. But once I'm back, Goonami's gonna be as strong as ever.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 10, 2015

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
No Dandy gifs in the OP 0/10

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is there any word on the status of Eagleheart or NTSF:SD:SUV::?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NTSF:SD:SUV is definitely canceled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this? posted:

NTSF:SD:SUV is definitely canceled.

Eh, not technically cancelled. Paul Scheer is just too busy. He said back in June that [AS] would be happy to do more if he gets around to writing more.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
e: RAW IS GOKU

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 30, 2014

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hace posted:

I'm pretty sick of the authority, but the last month of directionless bullshit has made me realize that the writing team doesn't know what to do without an authority figure.

Are we talking about wrestling or about NTSF:SD:SUV?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

TwoPair posted:

I have fixed these grievous errors. Has there been any announcement as to when they're coming back from hiatus? Because everywhere I checked online indicated their seasons aren't over and I figured premieres just got pushed aside due to holiday poo poo, but... well it's kinda gettin' over the holidays now and I want mah new episodes.

Although really what would be ideal would be Eric Andre doing another New Year's Spooktacular since I don't have much planned tomorrow night.

I'm pretty sure they come back on the 9th of January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

J.A.B.C. posted:

Are we talking about wrestling or about NTSF:SD:SUV?

Dragonball Z

• Locked thread