Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

QWERTZ? get that poo poo outta here son! loving German keyboards piss me off.

As an aside to all you Americans: there's not really an "EU" keyboard layout so for example if you'd buy a computer in Germany you get a terrible qwertz keyboard but one country over The Netherlands uses US-international. In Belgium they speak Dutch and French (and a small German part) but they all use the French Azerty layout.

So it's not clear cut at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Heh, its not so bad. You usually hit a tiny key anyway right? So the shift doesn't matter, you get used to it very fast. The enter key I prefer being larger, when its moved I always hit the key that isn't loving enter! :argh:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Belgian AZERTY is just a tiny bit different from French AZERTY, a bunch of the symbols are in different places(and key labels are in French on French AZERTY). This is hell if you're used to QWERTY, have to type on Belgian AZERTY and the physical keyboard is French AZERTY.

Also, the only reason Belgium has AZERTY is demand from the French-speaking part of the country.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smoke posted:

Belgian AZERTY is just a tiny bit different from French AZERTY, a bunch of the symbols are in different places(and key labels are in French on French AZERTY). This is hell if you're used to QWERTY, have to type on Belgian AZERTY and the physical keyboard is French AZERTY.

Also, the only reason Belgium has AZERTY is demand from the French-speaking part of the country.

Yeah gently caress those guys.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

In the interests of international cooperation, let's all stop fussing around with keyboard layouts and get a REAL programmer's keyboard:

:c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I'm British, live in the UK, and use only US layout keyboards, for all the reasons mentioned.

It's a bitch sometimes to get laptops with US keyboards over here - I have a choice of essentially Thinkpads (can special order, or just swap in a US board) or Apple (special order) for decent laptops, without resorting to paying customs fees or travelling abroad myself.

I am a bit of a sicko on top of that and remap a few more keys to make things nicer: Esc on the caps lock key, Ctrl, alt and win keys swapped around to resemble a Mac keyboard.

Special mention for the apple UK keyboard. Its horrible, layout is messed up, enter key is even smaller.

• Locked thread