Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I stopped reading KC Green when he spent six months on that graveyard story and I realized that his twee sadbrains had finally overpowered the funny forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SnowblindFatal posted:

Hahahahah, loving goons can't love even one precious thing in the world. Typical.

to love something, one must first hear of it

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
I'm happy for y'all and this thread here. But I'm just going to say Scott Kurtz is still the longest running unfunny comic guy who lived through a goon-led meltdown, bankruptcy and depression episode.

I'll throw up a Dickbutt in Counterstrike for old times. When counterstrike 2.0 becomes edgy again, like Gunshow nostalga.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ArtIsResistance posted:

lol @ the goon who cannot comprehend people not reading comics

honestly, it's just baffling to me that there's people who can't get a chuckle out of any drawing

it's like saying there's no such thing as a funny movie, or no such thing as a good stand-up act

i mean, i totally get being elitist and thinking 99% of things are poo poo, or not being a comic book reader. i get that. but if someone's stance is seriously "no such thing as a funny cartoon" then maybe they're the one that's broken.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Most of these comics huff turds to be honest :twisted:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I am happy for KC. Thank you K.C. Gren for making some funny comics and then finding something better to do.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
#thankyouKC

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked Gunshow a lot. But really Graveyard Quest was approximately 40 pages too long.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

heh ,so many melt downs itt

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Sleeveless posted:

I stopped reading KC Green when he spent six months on that graveyard story and I realized that his twee sadbrains had finally overpowered the funny forever.

it's pretty awesome how every webcomic artist has depression and it bleeds heavily into their work. art.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

honestly, it's just baffling to me that there's people who can't get a chuckle out of any drawing

it's like saying there's no such thing as a funny movie, or no such thing as a good stand-up act

i mean, i totally get being elitist and thinking 99% of things are poo poo, or not being a comic book reader. i get that. but if someone's stance is seriously "no such thing as a funny cartoon" then maybe they're the one that's broken.

people like ~different things~ and even if they don't find every single cartoon or w/e unfunny, why wade through a bunch of (what you consider to be) poo poo just to find a funny when you could just do something you enjoy more of?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

to love something, one must first hear of it

*Sees a thread about a thing that is unfamiliar, posts:*

quote:

thing is poo poo

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I don't have statistics to back me up, but I swear that if we ran a cross reference check between the shitposters and the posters in the virginity threads (there are still those, right?), we'd see a heavy, possibly 0.9 correlation.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
please don't make that math nerd comic style jokes...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SnowblindFatal posted:

I don't have statistics to back me up, but I swear that if we ran a cross reference check between the shitposters and the posters in the virginity threads (there are still those, right?), we'd see a heavy, possibly 0.9 correlation.

of course there's still virginity threads

you're posting in one

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

of course there's still virginity threads

you're posting in one

For someone actively hating on Gunshow, you sure like to post in this thread!

Maybe you're like one of those gay republicans.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i almost forgot kc green also killed hate song ( a long running webcomic) when he took it over

just cant keep a project going

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yodzilla posted:

this is my comic

it was made for me

drat niggga

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
for someone who doesnt like a thing u definitely made a post about it, fucker...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I liked that story.

This too.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I used to like gunshow but then it became a less good pictures for sad children.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Prequel was, and is, really fuckin good, when it updates.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SnowblindFatal posted:

For someone actively hating on Gunshow, you sure like to post in this thread!

Maybe you're like one of those gay republicans.

Hello and welcome to the heart of the bad webcomics syndrome.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harime Nui posted:

No.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

Ok, so it isn't done yet?

gently caress. I cannot afford another Broodhollow with unreliable updates that has me checking every hour past the publication target time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Yea.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The other day I made my first (and, hopefully, last) Twitter posts. The person they were directed at, of course, did not respond and promptly blocked my account. I’ll leave his name up there uncensored, in hopes he may get pressured to reply.
It’s weird to take a step back and look at how my relationship with the thing called GamerGate has developed these last few months. It started with me looking at as much evidence as I could find and reluctantly speaking against someone’s actions. I asked people to provide counterevidence in case I was overlooking something. Lady Fuzztail stepped up to the plate, and within three messages she more or less agreed with my position. My brief exchange with her back in August, however, literally marked the last time any of the “anti-Gamergate” people actually tried to convince me they were in the right.
I mean, sure, there has definitely been a concerted effort made to show how terrible GamerGate is and how everyone who touches it is evil and supports harassment or something. I have been told time and time again that there are consequences to showing support toward something like that, or occasionally just been outright attacked for it. But, despite my pleas for someone to do so, nobody is really trying to defend the other side of this to me. Nobody is really trying to alleviate my concerns about the people GamerGate is opposing, and this bothers me so much.
Like, these people who oppose GamerGate keep getting creepier, and they’re not doing anything to alleviate it. I was really bothered by the response to Wolf Wozniak’s alleged sexual harassment and the way he was immediately attacked for speaking out. I was sickened when someone responded to the whole Eron Gjoni thing with an article saying that victims of abusive relationships needed to think about what they did to cause the abuse. I was appalled by the way things like NotYourShield have been completely ignored or accused of being manipulated. At this point, I am literally sticking with GamerGate because I feel like this is the side where I am less likely to get raped. And, for some inconceivable reason, nobody is even making an effort to convince me my feelings are unfounded.
I am just at a complete loss at how to handle this. Like, I’m trying to do what is right here, but one side of this is making no attempt to show me they are the good guys. Even when I outline the exact apprehensions that keep me from taking their side, all I receive is disappointment that I’m not taking their side. I just don’t know what to do.
Further Appehensions
I guess as this goes on, there are some disturbing patterns that have emerged. At least, disturbing to me.
Like, look back up at the tweets above. There’s this thing that keeps coming up, “chugged all the 4chan kool-aid”. Conceptually, this is just so bizarre to me.
I get along fairly well with 4chan, 8chan, and other anon cultures. This is not a huge secret. My background is in research psychology; I’m used to using anonymity to gather opinions and just generally dealing with people at their weirdest. I interact with pretty much every other site that discusses my work, too, but 4chan is apparently the one that surprises people the most because for some reason they are terrified of it.
There’s this weird idea, though, that there is some sort of tainted knowledge there and that once you touch it, you have been manipulated and there is nothing anyone can do to correct this until you voluntarily choose to disbelieve this information. Which, of course, pisses me the hell off because that is not how manipulation works. Manipulation revolves around feeding someone misinformation, which can be easily combated with logic and counterevidence. Just listening to things or having a positive relationship with a group is not enough to “corrupt” someone.
But you know who tends to push that line of thought? Cults do. One of the key components to most cults is that they stigmatize knowledge that would draw people away from their beliefs. If someone digs too deep and acquires knowledge that causes them to question the cult’s beliefs, they are immediately declared a lost cause, or even publicly punished to dissuade others from pursuing such forbidden fruit. This is how cults maintain power over their members. This sort of “lost cause” and “making an example” behavior is also the exact behavior a lot of the GamerGate opponents seem to be displaying toward me, even Tarason up above.
Like I said in my reply to him, though, the part that disturbs me more is the general lack of agency this attributes to me.
What he’s saying pivots on this implicit assumption that, because I hold a different position than him, someone else must be controlling me without my consent. What’s not considered is that, perhaps, I am consciously choosing the side that is making a better case for itself. Like… you know, the thing I actually say I am doing. Again and again, while outlining the exact reasons I make these choices?
Try to look at this from my point of view. When I see people say things like “Eron Gjoni wrote a long hitpiece claiming his ex-girlfriend traded sex for reviews”, this scares me because you can actually read the thing and see that doesn’t occur. When someone who claims to have been sexually harassed by a well-connected person can be attacked for it while someone who attacks a well-connected person can be baselessly accused of sexual harassment, that scares me because I could easily end up in either of those positions. When someone is only acknowledged to be female or a minority when they are being oppressed or harassed and the rest of the time are erased into being Straight White Men, this scares me because it takes away any control I have over my own group’s reputation.
These are the kind of behaviors I see as characterizing GamerGate’s opposition, as well as being things that GamerGate combats either directly or by proxy. If I am wrong about feeling these things, then I want someone to convince me they aren’t actually occuring - or, perhaps more likely given how much of it now comes from personal experience, convince me that controls have been instituted to ensure these things cannot not occur in the future. As of yet, nobody is really taking that step to convince me “anti-GamerGate” are the good guys here. At best, there’s just that push to paint GamerGate as harassers.
And you know what? That really gets on my nerves too. Like, everything people point to as evidence of GamerGate harassing people is about as bad as I get just by virtue of being relatively well-known. On top of that, a lot of the harassment I see held up as particularly horrible is very on-par with the response people get when they attack their audience - which is exactly what is happening here. To me, it feels like another instance of problems being erased or ignored until they happen to someone well-connected - and even then these people aren’t speaking out against harassment in general. gently caress, GamerGate has been the ones publicly denouncing harassment, whereas the prevailing opinion with its opponents seems to be “harassment is okay, if against the right people”. And like… I can’t side with that. If I’m wrong in parsing the situation that way, I need someone to show me I’m wrong.
And then there’s the whole “just bunch of angry straight white men afraid of video games becoming diverse” thing. You know, where there was a movement of hundreds if not thousands of women and minorities showing their support for GamerGate, and it was dismissed as being sockpuppet accounts and people who were “tricked” into supporting it? Apparently there is this perception that GamerGate is somehow going to somehow drive all minorities out of gaming, despite the fact that GamerGate is notoriously leaderless, meaning even if they destroyed every gaming journalism outlet in existence the only thing they could really bring about is a chaotic quasi-meritocracy. And like… do you even realize how bigoted it is to suggest that only straight white men could prevail in an environment like that? That kind of situation - where there is no overseer beyond the general populace deciding who does/doesn’t get visibility - is the kind of environment I want. That’s something I’m willing to fight for.
Through all of this, I’m just left wondering: what exactly is the endgame here regarding people like me? Like, is the message here that if I agree with GamerGate’s opposition, then I will be protected from their harassment and allowed to harass others? Am I supposed to feel like by taking their side, I would be exempt from any kind of real-world sexual misconduct that would otherwise come from their supporters, and will be covered should I do those things against others? Is the message that if I agree with their position now and remain silent about their minority erasure, then in the future I will be able to dissent with my sexuality properly attributed? I just don’t understand what their sell is. What is the thing that is supposed to make me want to support them? On what level are they not everything I am morally obligated to oppose?
I am not being manipulated here; I have agency and am making a choice based on the evidence I have available. And like I’ve said again and again, if you feel like I am making a choice on bad information, then you can provide more information. This is not a trap, this is an invite. I would prefer this to be two groups who are competing for my allegiance, rather than one group trying to win my allegiance and one group threatening me for opposing them. But, as of yet, I cannot see any evidence that the Opposition side of this benefits me. Nobody is making a case for why they are worth supporting. Nobody is making a sell.
Sure, like I said earlier, people are really quick to talk about all the evils GamerGate probably** did. But as I’ve stressed before, a group that is morally gray is preferable to one that is morally devoid. I see this as a group of flawed humans attacking a bigoted and problematic institution. I want to see this institution burn, and frankly I’ll show respect to whoever is holding the torches. If you have a problem with this, then you have to convince me it isn’t as bad as I think. This is not complicated.
At least, it’s not complicated if your group is actually not that bad
Applying Agency
This all really comes back to this idea of agency.
GamerGate, whether you approve or disapprove of its actions, has almost always positioned itself as being a choice. They show a lot of respect for people who weigh both sides, and usually remain confident that evidence will lead neutrals to their side. If someone opposes them, their first tactic is to try to dissuade them with reason. When they sought to emphasize their diversity, their method was opt-in: people wore the “#NotYourShield” tag by choice. These are refreshing design choices.
The opposition, by contrast, has been… less accommodating to the idea of people thinking on their own. I’ve seen neutral parties attacked for even giving GamerGate the time of day, “for the good of women and the minorities!” is constantly thrown around no matter how hard people scream “no! You don’t represent me!”, and there is of course the idea, perpetuated by people like Tarason up at the top of this post, that anyone who opposes them has been indoctrinated and manipulated and is no longer in control of their faculties.
This feels black-and-white, and that bothers me. It is increasingly difficult to hang onto this belief that there are two sides to this that have legitimate points. Like I keep stressing, I want to be put in a situation where two sides are competing for my allegiance, but only one side is even playing.
I’m just not sure how to respond to that, other than… keep offering to listen? As usual, I’m here, and even if I don’t reply to all my emails anymore I promise I’m reading and heeding.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
lmao, a furry D&D nerd made you so loving mad, you loser.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
you enjoy literal rape fiction

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You actually kind of creep me out, plz don't call my parents and tell them I like anime.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's a funny comic tho

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Afraid of Audio posted:

do you just wait for someone in any thread to say "prequel" and then jump in with poo poo copy-pasted from tumblr

it's not the worst gimmick account but it gets a little stale after three posts

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I may as well post it here: for all I know Kazerad could be a big ole rear end in a top hat. I do know for sure he is one weird motherfuckef and definitely reading this. He is deffo a furry and a brony and I'm not shocked he's a gamergater or w/e. However his comic made me laugh, it had some good joaks and that is basically all I ask for from Kazerad. Okay then thanks for reading

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Afraid of Audio posted:

the asexual avenger strikes again

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Friendly Tumour posted:

kaz probably paid him in chili's gift cards at some point

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Friendly Tumour posted:

you do realize those were unsourced tumblr quotes right

i mean youre not that much of an idiot hopefully

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Afraid of Audio posted:

you do realize those were unsourced tumblr quotes right

i mean youre not that much of an idiot hopefully

I just saw your rap sheet and holy loly you are a sad individual

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You won't escape justice, webcomic man... all the world will know YOU ARE A PERVERT :argh:

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Guys, I think Lady Fuzztail would highly disapprove of this arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

this guy is really funny and good

• Locked thread