Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-18/united-orbitz-sue-travel-site-over-hidden-city-ticketing-1-.html

For you TL;DR folks: A smart man invented a site that helps customers buy tickets with layovers in the cities they actually want to visit, so they just get off there rather than fly all the way to the end of their ticket (it's often cheaper to buy a ticket for a longer flight w/ layover than a shorter, direct one. Go figure). Now United is crying foul and trying to sue him.

gently caress airlines forever. Bastards have been treating customers like poo poo for years and they beg the government for more subsidies rather than adjust what is an obviously unsustainable business model. Anything that sticks it to the airlines' wallets is fine by me. They're nothing but a bunch of crooks (as the old folks would say).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I heard that for every time you ride a plane and don't crash your chances of crashing the next time double. It's sort of this diminishing return effect that prevents people from flying too much.

But what about the pilots?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So what are they going to do, march people to their connecting flight with cattle prods?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

all they have to say is that potential terrorists could be getting off on these layovers and it makes it harder to track people

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
lol gently caress airlines

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Applewhite posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-18/united-orbitz-sue-travel-site-over-hidden-city-ticketing-1-.html

For you TL;DR folks: A smart man invented a site that helps customers buy tickets with layovers in the cities they actually want to visit, so they just get off there rather than fly all the way to the end of their ticket (it's often cheaper to buy a ticket for a longer flight w/ layover than a shorter, direct one. Go figure). Now United is crying foul and trying to sue him.

gently caress airlines forever. Bastards have been treating customers like poo poo for years and they beg the government for more subsidies rather than adjust what is an obviously unsustainable business model. Anything that sticks it to the airlines' wallets is fine by me. They're nothing but a bunch of crooks (as the old folks would say).

I like the part where they're considering voiding people's tickets without refund.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
Wouldn't the airlines be happy the person left at their layover thus saving them fuel costs on the second leg of the trip?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

open container posted:

Wouldn't the airlines be happy the person left at their layover thus saving them fuel costs on the second leg of the trip?

In a sane world, the system as-is wouldn't even exist and force people to do this. But when they have people paying less to take another leg, their thought process gets really hosed up.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Airlines are good, and, in this case, they're right. I hope this guy they're suing loses everything, and ends up even poorer than me, if that's even possible

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Companies should do everything in their power to gently caress over their customers. The airlines did nothing wrong.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is this in like the Terms of Service for all the airlines? I don't read them so

e: and Lol like they hold the plane at all if a person doesn't board at the right time

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RavenKrows posted:

I like the part where they're considering voiding people's tickets without refund.

What's he go8ng to do? Sue in Switzerland or wherever the arbitration clause is set up in?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
hahaha the airlines are being crybabies
big fat crybabies

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Airlines are good, and, in this case, they're right. I hope this guy they're suing loses everything, and ends up even poorer than me, if that's even possible

:agreed:

the airline executives live extravagant lifestyles because they simply work harder than us lesser people, and it's disgusting that certain lesser people want to steal their hard-earned wealth

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Windows 98 posted:

I heard that for every time you ride a plane and don't crash your chances of crashing the next time double. It's sort of this diminishing return effect that prevents people from flying too much.

The statistical chance of crashing is the same every time you fly.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

comcast is going to merge with the airline companies and im going to have sex finally

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Windows 98 posted:

isn't it the same maths that means the more older siblings a child has the more likely they are to be gay?

what i'm asking is how many plane flgihts turn you gay

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Quickscope420dad posted:

isn't it the same maths that means the more older siblings a child has the more likely they are to be gay?

it only took one for me, but then the next one changed me straight again sry.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

so, don't buy a direct flight if you want to save money? I don't get how this works. I want to go to Cleveland from atlanta, do I buy a ticket to chicago that has a layover in cleveland?

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
My dad was in a plane crash so I figure there's no chance I will also be in a plane crash.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

so, don't buy a direct flight if you want to save money? I don't get how this works. I want to go to Cleveland from atlanta, do I buy a ticket to chicago that has a layover in cleveland?

If you want to pay less, yes.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

RAGE HOLE posted:

My dad was in a plane crash so I figure there's no chance I will also be in a plane crash.

did he die in the plane crash

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Quickscope420dad posted:

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

save money by booking a long haul :wink: flight when actually you only want to stop at one of our playover :wink: resorts

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

Yivgev posted:

did he die in the plane crash

He did not die.

So maybe the odds of me being in a plane crash are still there, but the odds of two people in the same family being in a plane crash and surviving are just what is impossible.

I should try to get a family member struck by lightning so I can also feel safer in bad weather.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Applewhite posted:

If you want to pay less, yes.
...this is indeed one wierd trick

Aren't I wasting the money I paid to get to chicago anyway?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
It doesn't make sense why it would be cheaper to do this in the first place. This is like if there was a restaurant where it costs $5 to buy a medium drink and it costs $3 to buy a large drink. If I buy the large drink and pour out half of it people get angry for some reason.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Applewhite posted:

it only took one for me, but then the next one changed me straight again sry.

Do you change orientation every time you fly?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Spectacle Rock posted:

It doesn't make sense why it would be cheaper to do this in the first place. This is like if there was a restaurant where it costs $5 to buy a medium drink and it costs $3 to buy a large drink. If I buy the large drink and pour out half of it people get angry for some reason.

fuel efficiency + pilot wages of a flight which covers fewer destinations than a longer one

it works out

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But what about your luggage?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Spectacle Rock posted:

Because people dont want to go on flights with lay overs, so they actively avoid them. The only people who take those flights are those that have to, so they make it cheaper so it'll actually sell.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NEver taking a direct flight has always been a way to save money.

I still don't get how this works - is it that the layover flight from atlanta->cle->chi is cheaper than atlanta->cle?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I still don't get how this works - is it that the layover flight from atlanta->cle->chi is cheaper than atlanta->cle?

Yes. Some how paying for two flights is cheaper than paying for one flight. So jus pay for two but only use one

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

actually no they are not right. if they had instead said "we have a department called "Weight and Balance" that is responsible for the physics calculations that keep the plane from crashing into the ground, and a sudden loss or increase of aggregate weight will skew those calculations" and then admitted that it is loving greedy and lovely to charge people more money for a direct trip because they know they will pay three times the ticket price for the sake of convenience

well, then they would be right

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

is it that the layover flight from atlanta->cle->chi is cheaper than atlanta->cle?

Yes! It literally works like this. A flight from "atlanta->cle->chi" might costs $500 while a flight from "atlanta->cle" costs $700. So, someone who really just wants to go to cle will buy the "atlanta->cle->chi" and when arriving at cle, simply does not board their connecting aircraft.

edit: Beaten; this thread moves really fast.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

KoRMaK posted:

NEver taking a direct flight has always been a way to save money.

yes, that's it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

Do you change orientation every time you fly?

Not since a couple years ago when I took a flight that turned me bi (it was a biplane).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
For a fun time check the price of a roundtrip airfare to europe originating in an american city then reverse it for the same dates. Wow now it is 50% of the price!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Quickscope420dad posted:

fuel efficiency + pilot wages of a flight which covers fewer destinations than a longer one

it works out

Dur dur dee doo, I didn't bother reading that these are all connecting flights further promoting the pointless nature of the higher cost flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Again though, what about your luggage?

I'm actually planning two trips this year, I might just try it

• Locked thread