Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

uG posted:

fwiw years ago I got off at my connecting city and when it was time for my return flight they tried to tell me i forfeited it by not taking the last leg of the trip (or first leg on the way back). I don't know why they didn't think I would make a scene until they gave me my loving seat back but it took a good 35 minutes of weed deprived bitching to finally get them to do the right thing

Why'd you get off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Darth123123 posted:

Why'd you get off?

While waiting for the connecting flight I found it was going to be faster to drive to Austin from Dallas than wait on the connecting flight

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
for thousands of years man has dreamed of slipping the surly bonds of earth and flying among the clouds like the birds and gods and bird-gods

and in less than a hundred years we have successfully killed that dream, now nobody wants to fly

mission: fuckin accomplished
*puts on shades, takes drag on cigarette, exhales spelling gently caress YEAH in smoke, peels out*

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Three Olives posted:

"Your body itself is a breach of etiquette."

that's the ticket

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Howard Beale posted:

for thousands of years man has dreamed of slipping the surly bonds of earth and flying among the clouds like the birds and gods and bird-gods

and in less than a hundred years we have successfully killed that dream, now nobody wants to fly

mission: fuckin accomplished
*puts on shades, takes drag on cigarette, exhales spelling gently caress YEAH in smoke, peels out*

nah dude i jumped out of a plane at 10k feet and it was loving awesome and i thought "i am better than any pharaoh of ancient egypt"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

nomadologique posted:

nah dude i jumped out of a plane at 10k feet and it was loving awesome and i thought "i am better than any pharaoh of ancient egypt"

that's not so much flying as it is falling awesomely

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

uG posted:

fwiw years ago I got off at my connecting city and when it was time for my return flight they tried to tell me i forfeited it by not taking the last leg of the trip (or first leg on the way back). I don't know why they didn't think I would make a scene until they gave me my loving seat back but it took a good 35 minutes of weed deprived bitching to finally get them to do the right thing

i dont even understand why this is an issue

they have no right to even check if you are lying no matter what you say to them, from "i had the shits and missed my plane" to "family emergency required me to stay in touch with relatives so i didnt take my flight" so i cant imagine why anyone would be concerned about this. "i was mugged/pickpocketed and did not have my wallet and thus couldnt legally get onto the plane" poo poo how hard is this

no point in arguing for over half an hour about how unfair they are being, just lie and be a personable human and the employee dealing with you will be like "okay we can make an exception go ahead, next person in line please"

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 1, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

they have no right to even check if you are lying no matter what you say to them, from "i had the shits and missed my plane" to "family emergency required me to stay in touch with relatives so i didnt take my flight" so i cant imagine why anyone would be concerned about this. "i was mugged/pickpocketed and did not have my wallet and thus couldnt legally get onto the plane" poo poo how hard is this

no point in arguing for over half an hour about how unfair they are being, just lie and be a personable human and the employee dealing with you will be like "okay we can make an exception go ahead, next person in line please"

Yeah, this is pretty much it. I've been in violation of a few different things over the last 2 years of my frequent flying job, and usually just a big ol' smile and being cooperative but insisting in a friendly way that you really need X to be able to Y and they seem to accommodate you 8 out of 10 times A little charm can go a long way when they deal with assholes all day who give them poo poo or act like horrible victims at every little thing These same people are the ones who make audible comments about having to "take their belts off' when everyone knows this poo poo. If you don't want to take your belt and shoes off, and keep your laptop in your bag, pay the $100 for Global Entry or whatever, and you'll get to go into the pre-check line. If you have an AMEX Platinum chard, they'll even reimburse you the $100 fee. Which you renew every 5 years I believe. If you fly enough you get put into the system after reaching a certain status (i.e. Gold on Delta). .

I hate the airline industry but playing the game can make the inconveniences less inconvenient. Be friendly, but confident. Basically act like a boss who understands their issues and they'll bend over backwards to help you. I seriously do not mean to come off as someone who's "figured it out," but as a Silver Status member of Delta, I'm the bottom of the barrel Skymiles "Elite' member and I frequently get to go through pre-check, get upgraded to first class (even when there are 3 seats available and I'm like #6) by just inquiring with the gate attendant and playing ignorant. "Oh, I thought I was #3 when I last checked. :(" Literally 5 times this year alone, I was told to "hang over to the side" when my Zone was called and she'd do some magic and by the time Zone 2 is called, I;ll be handed my new FC seat assignment.

This is the case with almost every annoying rear end in a top hat standing in the way of you being serviced/helped or not, except the DMV and court officials, who couldn't give a gently caress about you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Surprisingly, being diplomatic works really well versus being a belligerent rear end in a top hat in most situations in general.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
this one time I got drunk at the airport bar before going on a 6 hour flight. i ended up falling asleep on the flight and waking up sober-ish shortly before we landed and it was awesome.

can they start working that into their tickets?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

Surprisingly, being diplomatic works really well versus being a belligerent rear end in a top hat in most situations in general.

tl;dr version of my reply right here.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

is it inconceivable to you that most people that attempt to be nice at first usually get upset afterwards? it took us a whole 5 minutes to get past the niceties of both parties since apparently i need to mention this

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
*writes bad review*

*UPDATE*
i forgot to mention but at least they were nice to me for a few of those minutes!!! adding 1/4 of a star

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

uG posted:

*writes bad review*

*UPDATE*
i forgot to mention but at least they were nice to me for a few of those minutes!!! adding 1/4 of a star

How a bad experienced is handled by Customer Service goes a long way in lifting a company's reputation, so yeah... I'm not sure what your point is.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

Shadow posted:

How a bad experienced is handled by Customer Service goes a long way in lifting a company's reputation, so yeah... I'm not sure what your point is.

uG posted:

is it inconceivable to you that most people that attempt to be nice at first usually get upset afterwards? it took us a whole 5 minutes to get past the niceties of both parties since apparently i need to mention this

its me im the guy who white knights airlines lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk I had a job where I dealt with customers and you can usually tell people that are genuinely nice and trying to work out a problem and someone who is just being fake nice with the rage simmering just below the surface

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Just checking in to see if 3O made a huge gay post itt. It was last page in case anyone missed it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

lol a south american airline canceled my international flight from DC without telling the airport and when it didn't show up after hours of everyone waiting a rep finally showed up at the counter and said "we have the flight showing up as arriving at its final destination on time without any passengers on it, not our fault if you didn't get on. the next flight is tomorrow, we won't give you vouchers, and it'll be $1300 for a ticket"

people got mad and the rep called the cops

it took 2 months to get a refund for the flight through a credit card chargeback w/ investigation

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

lol a south american airline canceled my international flight from DC without telling the airport and when it didn't show up after hours of everyone waiting a rep finally showed up at the counter and said "we have the flight showing up as arriving at its final destination on time without any passengers on it, not our fault if you didn't get on. the next flight is tomorrow, we won't give you vouchers, and it'll be $1300 for a ticket"

people got mad and the rep called the cops

it took 2 months to get a refund for the flight through a credit card chargeback w/ investigation

Don't fly banana republic airlines.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

old dog child posted:

Oh yeah this reminds me of some more airline bullshit. So I'm taking a trip in January from LA to SF. Apparently if you bring a small pet, you cannot attend to it, it must be quiet and docile, and effectively act as a baggage. Actually, even less than that- you can't even check on it during the flight. The airline even explicitly states that if a pet gets sick mid-flight, they won't treat it. Yet somehow, even though the pet+crate counts as one of two free checked bags, there is a 95 dollar fee. My round trip doesn't cost that much. What the gently caress?

e: sorry not checked luggage, it counts as one of two free carry-ons

I had an airline charge me 150 on my dog the first time, I haven't paid again because I either have someone else holding on to the dog when I check in or I put my coat over my pet carrier. Then in the terminal I stay a little ways away from my gate and during the flight I keep him under the seat in front of me. Normally flight attendants are pretty cool with my dog if I'm flying in Alaska but I had one point out she didn't have any paperwork for my dog while I was disembarking so I said, "Thanks!" like I had heard her and just hauled rear end out of there. Then I got a standby flight to my final destination and wound up getting there about forty five minutes later, so I waited it out at the airport then picked up my bags. I'll stop smuggling dogs when the airport stops effectively paying me to do so.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

uG posted:

yeah id be upset with stupid rules and arbitrary restrictions too but why not just pretend you are not upset until you have succeeded in winning over the employee who has the power to help you?

people are more likely to not want to help you if you make it clear you are upset with them

like this is a basic facet of human interaction, pretending to be pleasant when you are somewhat peeved, is it really so difficult?

e: im not even saying "lol beep boop turn off emotions chip while interacting with employees"

im just pointing out that pretending to be polite and pleasant until you get what you want is really, really effective

you can even avoid like, tickets/arrests and stuff with this poo poo, if you are white

trust me it works really really really well

Cursed Lumberjack fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 2, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

yeah id be upset with stupid rules and arbitrary restrictions too but why not just pretend you are not upset until you have succeeded in winning over the employee who has the power to help you?

people are more likely to not want to help you if you make it clear you are upset with them like this is a basic facet of human interaction, pretending to be pleasant when you are somewhat peeved, is it really so difficult?

e: im not even saying "lol beep boop turn off emotions chip while interacting with employees" im just pointing out that pretending to be polite and pleasant until you get what you want is really, really effective you can even avoid like, tickets/arrests and stuff with this poo poo, if you are white

trust me it works really really really well

Sort of! For best results you still have to be a little upset, but don't direct it towards the person you are interacting with, and maintain a "pitiable"attitude so that they want to help you.

I booked a flight home for my wife this past spring that went from Shenyang to Beijing to LAX to Pearson to Sudbury. At about 8:00pm I get a call from her saying she is stuck in Beijing because they won't let her go to the states because I totally forgot that you need a visa for a layover in the US (Never needed a layover visa during her other trips that landed her in Korea, Japan, Russia, etc. so I never imagined it would be a problem).

After an hour of going up the ladder with Expedia one of the guys said, "It says here that China Airlines has not included a reason for denying her a boarding pass. This field in the system usually has a 3 hours delay and we're running out of time. I'm going to book her on this flight, which will result in less layover time, remove an entire stop, and have her arriving in Sudbury on the original flight with the original ticket. That will be a fee of zero dollars sir." What this entailed for my wife is that she had a nap and lunch in Beijing airport, got on a direct flight to Toronto (skipping LAX altogether) and catching the flight from Toronto to Sudbury she was already booked on.

Basically what happened is he put me on hold, asked for my cell number, called me on his cell (they record for quality assurance purposes) and said that Expedia should be flagging these kinds of issues when booking, but they make extra cash by saying it is the customers responsibility to check (totally is) but since I got to him in time he can claim ignorance and blame it on China Airlines and Expedia will probably split the difference with them.

Polite + Pitiable + Urgency = Help. Like you mentioned, there is something hard-wired in us that wants to help people that we can relate and empathise with.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
just remember that the person you're talking to isn't like the person who personally cackled gleefully and pushed a button that hosed up your flight

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

uG posted:

Inconceivable? No. But I'll be honest, and I am basing this on nothing but how I interpret the text I am reading from your posts in my head, you come off as the type of person who is "bad customer service rep" nice/polite which no one likes.

Meaning, you say the words and even keep your voice down, but it is painfully obvious how angry you are. "Sir, I UNDERSTAND your issue and I am JUST TELLING YOU what the computer is telling me." Don't you wanna just punch that bitch?

Saying niceties back and forth at each other for 5 minutes the way I'm imagining the passive aggressive bomb that was building, I'm surprised it didn't result in a homicide.

What I and Blistex and Cursed Lumberjack are trying to explain is something that is hard to explain without seeing it. There's a kind of switch that you need to flip where you're almost disconnected from it so you can have a conversation. Literally a back and forth. Get them involved. Get them to care. Appeal to them, not like a wuss, but as someone who can totally see this happening to them as well. Smile. Act like "aww man, what a silly situation!" I don't know how else to say it other than superficial charm. Sure, in your head, you're pissed off, but that's not what you convey. I feel like certain types of sales experience may help, or client interaction in general.

Hell, one time I missed my flight out of MSY after simply waking up late due to a crazy last night in New Orleans. My best bet was standby, but they kept trying to tell me that based where I fell on the list, the likelihood of me getting out of there that day was slim. I was still very friendly with the guy at the gate. "Nothing you can do huh?" Finally and I have no idea if this worked or not, I'm just illustrating the picture so you see that it doesn't "expire" after 5 minutes into rage. Trust me, I rage out just fine and often! But with people in these positions? What's that gonna accomplish? I ended up being about 5ft away, called a friend and had an exchange like "Hey... yeah still in New Orleans.. no idea. They don't seem very optimistic... man I hope so, new job starts tomorrow, how awful would it be to miss my first day because I'm a dumb rear end and missed my flight. :("

The gate check dude walks over and interrupts me to say "Tell your friend you got a seat on this next flight. Don't ask me how I did it, but good luck at your new job!"

It's stupid poo poo, man. It's just how it is. Welcome to Earth.

Edit:

There was no new job.

Edit2:

Also, you say most people. Yeah, most people "try" to be nice. Here's the thing, "most people" aren't the ones who these people bend over backwards for. In fact, most people are dip shits.

Most people either do that thinly veined "polite", teeth grinding dance for 5 minutes before tempers flair. or tell them their problem then do the "DONT YOU MISS WHEN AIRLINES USED TO TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH RESPECT?" to some random person next to them who doesn't give a poo poo. Or they just make some comment and give up after a second. The ones who actually get the help they're looking for from someone who is willing to get creative are the ones who put in an effort to connect.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 2, 2015

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I'm very understanding virtually all of the time with service people. Empathetic to a fault really, but I've had airlines try and pull poo poo that was just unbelievably audacious in how badly they were trying to gently caress me over.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
honestly this line of discussion is probably pretty pointless because for the troubled/maladjusted goons who dont already intuit this its probably impossible to convey through just text and theyll just never be able to pull it off

sucks for them

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bishop posted:

I'm very understanding virtually all of the time with service people. Empathetic to a fault really, but I've had airlines try and pull poo poo that was just unbelievably audacious in how badly they were trying to gently caress me over.

Key word: airline.

Don't take a single thing that I said as some type of White Knight or support of the airlines. Seriously gently caress the airlines. The AIRLINES tried to gently caress you over. The person at the desk is the one who can get creative to fix the problem or come up with a work-around like the other poster whose wife simply bypassed LAX and the visa issue became a non-issue. Airlines don't get creative. People do.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

honestly this line of discussion is probably pretty pointless because for the troubled/maladjusted goons who dont already intuit this its probably impossible to convey through just text and theyll just never be able to pull it off

sucks for them

Yeah, probably. I dunno... I like to think of that 1 or 2 people this helps and figure why not.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Shadow posted:

Don't take a single thing that I said as some type of White Knight or support of the airlines. Seriously gently caress the airlines. The AIRLINES tried to gently caress you over. The person at the desk is the one who can get creative to fix the problem or come up with a work-around like the other poster whose wife simply bypassed LAX and the visa issue became a non-issue. Airlines don't get creative. People do.

on that note you never know when the person at the desk is actually the one in charge (at least ive never seen titled nametags for the supervisors where ive traveled and they wear the same uniforms as the grunts) so its possible the guy you just yelled at has the power to make your flight even more difficult versus him taking a liking to you and just throwing you on the most convenient flight

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
it helps to be super attractive too, male or female

people like to help pretty people

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

thats odd, i find they resent my stunning good looks.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Shadow posted:

I agree with all of that, but I can see how a society that is so used to "the customer is always right" will lose it when confronted with "the customer is wrong because gently caress you that's why". We should be glad people are assholes because without them the employees wouldn't go out of their way to help the nice ones.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

thats odd, i find they resent my stunning good looks.

i mean yeah if you're a dick about it

perhaps people like helping nice pretty people is more accurate

but if you look like one of their exes its a wildcard

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Yeah, also this. If you're attractive, the effort you need to put in goes down significantly. I'm alright looking, but dress pretty well and am well groomed. Hell, I'm not even white, but how I talk to people usually seems to get them to help me out. Not always. Sometimes you deal with someone who simply doesn't care or has a bad day. This isn't a god-mode cheat or whatever. It's just a way of putting the odds in your favor that you may get your situation resolved.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Shadow posted:

Yeah, also this. If you're attractive, the effort you need to put in goes down significantly. I'm alright looking, but dress pretty well and am well groomed. Hell, I'm not even white, but how I talk to people usually seems to get them to help me out. Not always. Sometimes you deal with someone who simply doesn't care or has a bad day. This isn't a god-mode cheat or whatever. It's just a way of putting the odds in your favor that you may get your situation resolved.

also if you're not pretty but you dress well the person will at the very least think you are more important/have more stuff to do than the schlubs in sweatpants and greasy tshirts and will feel a little bit of obligation to help you out first

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i had a first class ticket im better than 90% of the flight call your loving supervisor to fix this poo poo why do i have to ask you to do this or are you too stupdi to see how hosed up this situation is and want to just read what the computer tells you and nothing else

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

also if you're not pretty but you dress well the person will at the very least think you are more important/have more stuff to do than the schlubs in sweatpants and greasy tshirts and will feel a little bit of obligation to help you out first

Call it unfair, but no one said life was fair! You don't need to dress in a suit, but if you're dealing with the context of air travel and you're dressed business casual vs greasy t-shirts and sweatpants. Who you think's gonna get the extra?

If you're some Brad Pitt looking dude in sweatpants, you're probably fine either way. Such is life.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Every time I've flown from SFO to Pearson Air Canada/United (they code share) has lost my reservation. They are 5 for 5 and it's incredible. It's terrible too because you have to sprint from one end of the terminal to the other to talk to each desk. Usually I just get so frustrated and worried that I'll miss my flight that I end up bursting into tears and they find a way to make a new reservation for me. That's my advice, I guess.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
i am outraged that the airlines won't let me ride my quadbike in econony class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

uG posted:

i had a first class ticket im better than 90% of the flight call your loving supervisor to fix this poo poo why do i have to ask you to do this or are you too stupdi to see how hosed up this situation is and want to just read what the computer tells you and nothing else

How do you hold up a mirror to someone on the internet?

Dude, first class doesn't mean they want to help you. ANOTHER EXAMPLE.

I had a particularly bad day my last day on-site. A bad experience with a dick head client. A bad lunch. And some other poo poo I forget. I had gotten this trip home upgraded so I was going to get good and sauced for the next 2 hour flight and get home and pass out.

This is something I've done a zillion times when boarding with a First Class seat. The flight attendant at the entrance, "Hi! I'm in 3A, can you please get me a Woodford Reserve?" ALWAYS works. I got me a drink before 90% of the plane has even boarded. Before First Class is even finished.

Well, on this particular day, I did the same thing and got told that she'd get to me when everyone's boarded. She then forgot everything I asked for the rest of the flight and I'd have to repeat it. She purposely made me wait.

Being in First Class doesn't make you god. And how you just wrote your reply makes it seem like you're either self-entitled to the extreme or you are just one of those people who were taught polite things to say but never actually mean. People who deal with lots of people every day can see right through that horse poo poo.

On my bad day, even though I said what I always said, I easily came across as impatient or self-entitled and she made me pay for it with delays and constantly reminding her what I asked for.

• Locked thread