Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
remember when Shiggy tried to move to NASCAR CTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IceAgeComing posted:

counterpoint; Shigeaki Hattori, who had his licence revoked after seven races for being poo poo.

In CART. He then switched over to the IRL.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
because I'm a sad nerd I decided to look up his stats; and discovered that another Hattori ran in CART in 1999. He was second last in the championship while Shigsy was last: so I'm going to guess that he wasn't much better

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IceAgeComing posted:

ha I didn't actually know that, although it explains why that team used the Mercedes engine that year. He did use Toyota in the 2003 IRL season; but that might be because Toyota agreed to give AJ engines that year and he hired Shigsy for... some reason.

I think AJ hires bad Japanese drivers to highlight their lack of talent as payback for WWII or something

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

I think AJ hires bad Japanese drivers to highlight their lack of talent as payback for WWII or something

he hires good japanese drivers as well; perhaps he has a thing for them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite random thing about the split is that AJ Foyt rewarded the all-american IRL who basically made the entire series with him in mind by immediately hiring Swedish and Brazilian road racers as drivers.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Marco Greco: IRL polesitter and 3rd in the 1996/97 championship

just shows how poo poo the early irl was tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Marco Greco was legitimately one of the worst road racers in the European ladder of the '90s.

And yeah, he finished third in the 1997 series. With no lead-lap finishes, by the way.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

apparently Greco raced Grand Prix bikes before getting an Indycar drive.

Best finish: 16th.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Buzz Calkins was so bad. So so bad. My dad did their engines and was always sad to ship one to Bradley, knowing that it was basically wasted effort.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

IceAgeComing posted:

apparently Greco raced Grand Prix bikes before getting an Indycar drive.

Best finish: 16th.

At least like half the teams on his F3000 results sheet that consists of mostly DNQs were actually good teams.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Cygni posted:

Buzz Calkins was so bad. So so bad. My dad did their engines and was always sad to ship one to Bradley, knowing that it was basically wasted effort.

please don't insult the winner of the first IRL race

I remember watching that once when I was bored: he somehow beat Tony Stewart. Also apparently Michele Alboreto raced in the first year of the IRL

e: the only good thing about the first IRL season was the fact that Lazier won Indy because the guy is a genuinely good oval driver who never got a car to prove it before the split. He apparently got offered a one-off drive for Newman Haas on an oval; and that would have been pretty sweet to have seen

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

because I'm a sad nerd I decided to look up his stats; and discovered that another Hattori ran in CART in 1999. He was second last in the championship while Shigsy was last: so I'm going to guess that he wasn't much better

Naoki Hattori wasn't too bad. He was a Japanese F3 Champ but past his prime at that point. He actually made it to F1 too, driving the worst car on the grid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Marco Greco: IRL polesitter and 3rd in the 1996/97 championship

just shows how poo poo the early irl was tbh

Shig also finished in the top 10 in IRL a couple times.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

my gran could have finished in the top ten in some irl races tbh

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IceAgeComing posted:

Naoki Hattori was actually fairly respectable and a worldbeater compared to Shiggy.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

I'm interested in knowing how teams like Andretti, Penske, and Ganassi seem to be able to provide enough commercial value to sponsors relative to the public's interest in the series such that they don't have to rely on pay drivers like the rest of the field. And if the other teams can start doing the same then it seems there's the chance the series can have a bright future even without the amount of interest there was back in the early to mid 90's.

They're not immune.

Charlie Kimball is entirely a paydriver for instance.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

They're not immune.

Charlie Kimball is entirely a paydriver for instance.

novo nordisk is a danish company, though, and ron dennis couldn't get a single danish company to back magnussen in F1. so this is actually really impressive for ganassi/indycar.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Maybe Magnussen should contract some ailment to bravely battle through to 15th place with.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
um excuse me but that is Inaugural Indy Racing League Co-Champion Buzz Calkins

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

You know what? Impromptu cytube of at least the first race IRL race just for shear stupidity.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

put on a poo poo race from Champ Car's last season afterwards just for a bit of balance

go3 posted:

um excuse me but that is Inaugural Indy Racing League Co-Champion Buzz Calkins

in any sane racing series that had a tiebreak rule he'd be Indy Racing League Champion; because he won a race and Scott Sharp didn't.

Although IRL Champion Scott Sharp at least sounds somewhat plausible...

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

IceAgeComing posted:

put on a poo poo race from Champ Car's last season afterwards just for a bit of balance

You can if you want since I've already watched it last year and never want to see an old CCWS race again for how bad it is.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

IceAgeComing posted:

really any champ car race after andretti, ganassi and penske bailed would be appropriate, it doesn't have to be from '07.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Surfers Paradise 2002 was the best race ever ran

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Look what I got for my kid at a whopping 50 cents a car. I got a total of seven.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dad these are strange looking nascars

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
He's into Indycar and he loves F1 so he is pretty versed in open wheel racing.

On another note :lol: at Marco finishing a lap down in Formula E.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Tonight's Bob's Burgers showed that open wheel racing is alive and well in the USA.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

dev null posted:

On another note :lol: at Marco finishing a lap down in Formula E.

Yeah, and if you didn't watch he was just nowhere all race and his one real appearance on camera was getting utterly mugged by Salvador Duran.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PotatoJudge posted:

Tonight's Bob's Burgers showed that open wheel racing is alive and well in the USA.

pssst no one watches that either

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bob's Burgs is actually perty good and I weirdly saw that episode. I still dont get why people love Brooklyn 9-9. Welp this has been your television comedy rundown with me, the guy that posts too much in the indycar thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Bob's Burgs is actually perty good and I weirdly saw that episode. I still dont get why people love Brooklyn 9-9. Welp this has been your television comedy rundown with me, the guy that posts too much in the indycar thread

people like brooklyn nine-nine because it is very funny. welp that's been your derailed response from me, the guy who gets angry in all the racing threads.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IndyCar 2018 by Bobby Unser: Who cares about the rest of Indycar, it's all about the 500.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112432-indycar-2018-by-bobby-unser?showall=1&limitstart=

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Bring the design element back to Indy, and allow a path for small teams who wish to use stock blocks or other cost cutting measures a way to at least attempt the 500. Cut down on the reliance on aero, removing costly wind tunnel time, and you increase car counts. Increased car counts, diversity in car styles, and more ovals (ideally a 60/40 mix favoring ovals) and you'll get the fans back.

Oh hi, Uncle Bobby.

I still think he's delusional on "why is the cost of racing so high". It's so high because you can't put the cat back in the bag.

Honest question - when was the first time a manufacturer went full-on drat-the-torpedoes spending to win Indy? Once that happens, it drives the cost up, and the only way to get it back down is by limiting further development. I don't necessarily count a major sponsor here since in theory that money's still going into a smaller team. Something on the order of the 917/30, the kind of car that wrecks a series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think you can ask "Why do things have to be expensive" and then say that opening up the rulebook will solve everything.

for the record, i'm completely fine with opening up the rulebook (to an extent), but you have to accept that you'll lose parity, and that budgets for a race-winning program are going to skyrocket.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honest question - when was the first time a manufacturer went full-on drat-the-torpedoes spending to win Indy? Once that happens, it drives the cost up, and the only way to get it back down is by limiting further development. I don't necessarily count a major sponsor here since in theory that money's still going into a smaller team. Something on the order of the 917/30, the kind of car that wrecks a series.

Would Mercedes in 1994 count? Although Penske seemed to cover most of the costs of that project: it still was lots of money on an engine designed solely to win only Indy, as it was useless anywhere else as it couldn't run any extra boost in CART races.

Its also probably the reason why 1995 happened; although we really can't say. I read this really quite interesting set of articles on the Mercedes engine which contains a little section on 1995; its really quite interesting especially if you don't know a great deal about it. There's also a book that came out last year about it that's meant to be pretty good: I've not looked at it yet though so I can't really say.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Would Mercedes in 1994 count? Although Penske seemed to cover most of the costs of that project: it still was lots of money on an engine designed solely to win only Indy, as it was useless anywhere else as it couldn't run any extra boost in CART races.

Its also probably the reason why 1995 happened; although we really can't say. I read this really quite interesting set of articles on the Mercedes engine which contains a little section on 1995; its really quite interesting especially if you don't know a great deal about it. There's also a book that came out last year about it that's meant to be pretty good: I've not looked at it yet though so I can't really say.

The 500 is prestigious enough, and it was more or less exploiting a ridiculous loophole. I don't think the investment was that massive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

First 'in anger' running for the new Lights car is tomorrow. 5 teams / 8 cars running at Palm Beach. Expecting 15+ for St. Pete.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/112443-indy-lights-five-teams-ready-for-first-group-test-of-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It was also, if you believe Beast, funded very little by MB. Ilmor and Penske started it with no manufacturer at all and MB jumped in quite late.

I've got to imagine that someone did it before, though? I guess its what USAC was afraid Porsche and Alfa would do.

At any rate in this day and age its not just the materials that cost megabucks. A highly complex wing is still going to cost a shitload of labor hours to build accurately out of fiberglass or aluminum, and a lot of engineering time before that.

There's just no such thing as an open-spec but cost-controlled racing series and it seems that's what Bobby wants.

• Locked thread