Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Kind of surprised there wasn't a thread about this game already, so here you go.

What is this game?
The Talos Principle is the latest game from developer Croteam, best known for the Serious Sam series. Published by Devolver Digital, it was released on Steam on December 11, 2014 and is slated for release on PlayStation 4 and Android in Q1 2015.

The best quick description of The Talos Principle would be a first-person puzzle game. The player takes control of a robotic avatar in a world that appears to be a strange mixture of ancient architecture and futuristic technology. The world is divided into several self-contained puzzles, in which the player must use the available gadgets to avoid obstacles, open doors, and, in the end, collect tetromino-shaped "sigils". These sigils are keys to future puzzles, as collecting them unlocks new gadgets and opens doors to further areas.

Where The Talos Principle differs from other puzzle games is in its presentation and story. Right from the start you are addressed by a disembodied voice calling itself Elohim, Hebrew for "gods" or "capital-G God," depending on your translation. Elohim claims that it is the creator of all the worlds and puzzles you will explore, and states that it created these worlds specifically for you. All of these "gardens", as Elohim calls them, are open to you, and you may visit them as you like--except for a great Tower that stands in the game's hub. If you complete its challenges, Elohim says, it will offer you eternal life. But as for the Tower, that place holds only death, and there you must never go.

But it is clear very quickly that Elohim's worlds aren't exactly what they seem at first glance. Pieces of them flicker in and out, as though glitched, and scattered throughout them are strange disturbances that appear to have been left by a woman who was working on some kind of AI project. Elohim itself cannot always keep up the omnipotent facade, either, as it soon becomes apparent that there are places where Elohim cannot see the player, and there are times when Elohim speaks more like a robot processing commands than a benevolent deity. All of which begs the questions: What is this place? Why are you here? Why does Elohim want you to do these menial puzzles? And what, exactly, is Elohim itself?

Further complicating things is the presence of several terminals throughout Elohim's worlds, which contain emails written by members of the aforementioned AI project, and writings both ancient and modern on the nature of what it means to be human. At first, these terminals are passive... but it is not long before the "Milton Library Assistant" on the terminals begins talking back to you, asking who and what you are. Are you a robot, only doing what you're told, as your avatar would suggest? Or are you a human, able to think and decide what to do for yourself?

And if you are, in fact, a human, the Library Assistant has a very important question for you: How do you prove it?

Reviews

Gamespot - 9/10

quote:

The Talos Principle is an absolute joy to play, packed to the gills with expertly designed puzzles and enough ancillary content to make any history of philosophy buff salivate. But all of that is almost beside the point in the face of the game's thematic ambitions. It may seem like you're alone in this world, but you're really not, and that's the greatest triumph of The Talos Principle: It serves as a fantastic representation of the human condition, complete with curiosity, speculation, wonder, fear, and a yearning to know the unknowable.

Eurogamer - 9/10

quote:

The Talos Principle is a game of challenges and conundrums and philosophical wonderings, filled with logic puzzles and cerebral mysteries. Its chunky mechanical processes are underpinned by a compelling breadcrumb-trail narrative that tackles the intangible notion of humanity and consciousness. Consequently, despite playing a robot that interacts with computer terminals and takes instruction from a disembodied voice in the sky, it exudes personality and charm; its mechanical precision complementing its aesthetic qualities. For an experience bereft of human contact it boasts a very big heart indeed.

PC Gamer - 84/100

quote:

The difficulty curve is expertly set. Once you've got your head around how a new tool works, many puzzles can be cracked with less than a minute's consideration. It's the optional set—denoted by a red Tetris piece—that raise the stakes. One or two of these stumped me for half an hour or more, and beating them made me feel like Dr. Smartman, Professor of Being Smart at I'm-The-Best University. That feeling is a substantial part of why these games are appealing, and The Talos Principle delivers.

Screenshots

I'm not quite sold. Is there a demo?
There is! The Talos Principle Public Test is a stand-alone demo for The Talos Principle, featuring four puzzles (and a few hidden secrets) not found in the main game.

HELP I'M STUCK
Well, I figure that's the main draw of a thread like this. All of the puzzles have a fairly easy-to-remember location code for their associated areas (A6, B2, etc.), so use that to indicate the puzzle you're stuck on. Keep the actual puzzle contents in spoiler tags, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The demo really sold me on this. The atmosphere is great and the interface for placing the reflectors was just so slick.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I suppose I'll get things started. Can anyone give me a hint for where to find the star in A1? I don't even need an exact location, I just want some way to narrow things down so I'm not running back and forth across the entire area over and over. Is it in a puzzle, or outside? I feel like I've been over every inch of the place.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Has this been in the Winter Steam Sale?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

Has this been in the Winter Steam Sale?

It came out just before it and the devs have said it won't dip below the current 10% off due to that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mokinokaro posted:

It came out just before it and the devs have said it won't dip below the current 10% off due to that.

I figured, just wanted to make sure.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Picked it up and loving the more philosophical interaction with the terminals, the music, and every last bit of the settings. I'm really wanting to climb the tower now that I have all the items unlocked, but have put the game aside for a bit. Puzzles with fans and boxes are getting just a tad bit tedious.

Did anybody get admin privileges before heading to C, or was that scripted to lock you out until then? Everything I saw looked custom-tailored to me.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I suppose I'll get things started. Can anyone give me a hint for where to find the star in A1? I don't even need an exact location, I just want some way to narrow things down so I'm not running back and forth across the entire area over and over. Is it in a puzzle, or outside? I feel like I've been over every inch of the place.

It's outside of a puzzle. This isn't too specific, but head all the way back to the beginning where you see the first turret. There's a well-hidden ladder around there.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just picked up the game and cleared all the way through the first area (minus the stars, some of those seem super hard to do). Holy poo poo, this game is incredible.

E: Anybody know how to get the hidden star for Area A2? I found the gate that hides it within one of the puzzles, but the color doesn't match the light beam in the room. Do I need to try to kajigger a red light from one of the other puzzles, or is there an easier way to open up the door?

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 15, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

Just picked up the game and cleared all the way through the first area (minus the stars, some of those seem super hard to do). Holy poo poo, this game is incredible.

E: Anybody know how to get the hidden star for Area A2? I found the gate that hides it within one of the puzzles, but the color doesn't match the light beam in the room. Do I need to try to kajigger a red light from one of the other puzzles, or is there an easier way to open up the door?
Are you sure you're thinking of A2? I don't think there are any light beams in that area.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

There's an excellent guide on steam for the stars. It gives lots of hints before the solution, all in spoilers, which is great if all you need just a little nudge.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354991567

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of A2? I don't think there are any light beams in that area.

Oh, it was probably A3/A4. My bad!

e: Figured it out Thankfully there was the reflector inside the tree. I was trying to get the red light from Higher Ground to Branch it out to the seal.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 15, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If I want to play the different endings do I really have to replay the whole game (or like look up a video or whatever but that's not nearly as interesting)?

I mean I'd like to see what the alternate endings are, but the idea of being able to come back in a month when the puzzles aren't as fresh in my head or as obvious to me is a nifty concept

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GNU Order posted:

If I want to play the different endings do I really have to replay the whole game (or like look up a video or whatever but that's not nearly as interesting)?

I mean I'd like to see what the alternate endings are, but the idea of being able to come back in a month when the puzzles aren't as fresh in my head or as obvious to me is a nifty concept

No, when you get your first ending you can "restore backups" to get to previous save states.

Anyway I managed to beat every puzzle in the game and get every star, and it was a blast. Definitely one of my favourite puzzle games ever and I think it completely destroys Portal 2.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Cool, thanks

I didn't go out of my way to get stars until I got to that desert level where the star is on top of an obelisk and it becomes very clear that you need to bring elements of the puzzles to the outside world, and then I was super on board

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Phew, almost lost it!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I think the game's biggest strength/problem is that it never quite lays its cards on the table. Most of the time this is for the better, but in case of something like the stars I would at least like an indication of whether or not I'm even looking in the right place or am on the right track. There are a few I thought were a bit too obscure and weren't quite so satisfying to get because it felt like I banged my head against them too hard. I think it's generally balanced really well, and there were only like 3-4 puzzles total I just couldn't process mentally so I had to seek aid.

That said you do not need to worry too much about the stars immediately; I definitely recommend making the first two endings a priority, as getting all the stars is merely a cool little footnote to close out on.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Funnily enough there were some examples of hidden terminals which I could hear beeping through walls in the middle of puzzles, which would lead me to try and pin down where the terminal could be and what I'd need to get there. But IIRC there's no indication of where stars are other than being able to actually see them (or trying to think like "where would a designer put this star in this area")

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I feel like they should at least have an audio cue or something. Well, maybe they do, but it wasn't as noticeable as the terminal booping.

For me Crisscross Conundrum Advanced in C7 was the hardest puzzle in the game. It broke my head so hard I just couldn't parse how the light beams even worked for a little while there.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
Speaking of audio cues, there is a sort of high-pitched tingling noise that is present in some of the first few puzzles (but not the latter ones, iirc). I was never able to understand exactly what, if anything, it was trying to tell me though, might be more of a general "you're missing something here". Or maybe it means nothing at all, I'm not even sure.

How did you feel about the endings? I initially went for the messenger ending (everything solved including star puzzles) and was ultimately disappointed. I went back and chose the tower ending instead, which was thoroughly satisfying. Makes me wonder why they would make the ending that is by far the hardest to get the worst.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It's so people that aren't puzzle pros and don't want to look up a walkthrough for the stars can get the best ending. Some of those star puzzles are hardcore.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

oliven posted:

Speaking of audio cues, there is a sort of high-pitched tingling noise that is present in some of the first few puzzles (but not the latter ones, iirc). I was never able to understand exactly what, if anything, it was trying to tell me though, might be more of a general "you're missing something here". Or maybe it means nothing at all, I'm not even sure.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I kept hearing little audio stings when i reached a point in a puzzle where i had a breakthrough, sorta like a "hey you're doing it right, you got here, keep going you're almost done" reinforcement indication. It coulda been that

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

The puzzles in this game were clever and fun to solve (for the most part), but what I enjoyed the most about the game was the story. And when I say that, I'm not referring to the specific events that took place; rather, I like how not only were the concepts behind the story, characters, and setting relatively unique (aside from the obvious* cribbing from the Bible), but these aspects all worked together absolutely perfectly to perform the game's purpose, which was basically to be a love letter to philosophy.

I mean, the notes found within the game all largely deal with actual philosophical conundrums, and one of the primary characters actively engages you in philosophical debate... at least as much as you're capable of having one in a video game, when limited largely to "yes/no/maybe" responses. But even if you ignore the computers, the entire rest of the world is still designed to be a representation of the abridged history of philosophical thought, almost to the point where I'd call it a caricature.

You start off solving puzzles, and when you solve enough of them, you are rewarded with... more puzzles. You solve those puzzles, and again, all it does is open up more puzzles. Sometimes you get new tools for your troubles, but all this really does is introduce even more complex puzzles. At some point, you go through this process enough times that you ask yourself, "Why the hell am I even doing this?" And even if you don't ask yourself this, the game will present the question to you in one way or another, so you will have to either answer the question or actively continue to ignore it. The thing is, you've already been given an answer; because your creator has commanded you to, and declares that you are good for doing so. So is this good enough for you? Because if hearing it from some outside authority isn't enough, you're going to have to justify it for yourself in some other way, and frankly, all you're doing is facing problems for the sake of facing more problems, until it arbitrarily ends... or doesn't. And assuming it ends, how does it end? Because your creator tells you to stop? Because you tell yourself to stop? Because there's just nothing left? What's your value, even, after you stop working? Does your work have value BECAUSE it leads you to the point where you stop working?

Again, even if you aren't asking these questions of yourself while playing, the game starts asking them for you. Minor, unmarked spoilers to follow:

Fairly soon you see you're not the first one to go through these trials, and over the course of time, you see that different challengers to the trials have come to separate conclusions on various issues. Some follow Elohim loyally, some reject him aggressively, others don't seem to care one way or the other. Even the ones unconcerned with Elohim's presence still have to determine what to do about all those puzzles, though. Not all of them are even cut out for solving the puzzles they're presented with, so what are they supposed to do? Is there some truth and value to be gained by being skeptical of Elohim and his trials, or does skepticism just create even more problems to deal with? It's primarily the contents of the notes that make me say that the game is a caricature of the history of philosophy, because in the process of following the primary trains of thought to their logical conclusions, your robot predecessors/extended family members basically end up re-inventing all of the major religions and branches of philosophy.

The game obviously faces some limitations with how it addresses the material, but I can't complain about it, because that's just the nature of the subject it's dealing with. The game had two options to go with: either stay true to the subject material and never end with any definitive conclusions, or eventually reach an end point by ignoring some questions, inventing answers to others, and kicking some valid theories off the train. Certain parts of the game make me want to raise a finger in protest, but in reality, for what the main author seemed to want to achieve, I think the game achieved its goal as well as it realistically could while still holding together as a standalone story.

Like, I think it would've been awesome if the game contained at least one puzzle that was literally unsolvable. But then there would have been riots.

*But necessary.

oliven posted:

How did you feel about the endings? I initially went for the messenger ending (everything solved including star puzzles) and was ultimately disappointed. I went back and chose the tower ending instead, which was thoroughly satisfying. Makes me wonder why they would make the ending that is by far the hardest to get the worst.

Personally, I think if you expected to get anything from solving all of Elohim's puzzles other than whatever personal satisfaction you got from completing them, you were basically missing out on what the game was trying to say.

Speaking in terms of what makes the most sense in-story, climbing the tower is actually harder for the protagonist, and it IS the greater accomplishment with the greater sense of satisfaction associated with it. The protagonist is designed to be a self-taught AI that is basically the last remnant of humanity. A robot is designed to follow code to the letter; it is very easy for a robot to solve even difficult logic puzzles, as long as it's within its default programming to do so. It's NOT easy for a robot to decide to defy its own instructions and make its own decisions about what to do with itself. That's why the virtual world was created to continuously test different iterations of AI until said AI had proven itself capable of both solving puzzles and demonstrating free will.

Speaking in terms of what makes the most sense for the player... it still makes more sense for the tower to be the more satisfying ending. I hate to spell it out so bluntly, but I do assume that the puzzles in the game are meant to be symbolic of trials faced in life in general. In life, there are only a certain number of challenges you can face, at least of a similar nature, before you've learned everything you can learn from those challenges. At that point, if you don't move on to something else, then you're either facing additional challenges because you personally find enjoyment from it, or you're driving yourself needlessly crazy obsessing over it. The same holds true in the game, and the game even draws the line for you. Once you've solved all the main puzzles, you've demonstrated that you've mastered the underlying process in solving them. In order to get the more fulfilling ending--to lead the more fulfilling life--you need to recognize that there's more types of challenges to overcome than just those of the barrier-jamming, beam-connecting type. You CAN keep solving more of the same... but if you don't get a kick out of it just for the sake of doing it, you're going to be disappointed in the end.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

If you didn't play this game because puzzles are fun and are rewarding in themselves then something is seriously wrong with you. Maybe you're not even really human, as the game suggests.

Really a lot of that stuff kind of bored me. I asked myself the question and I knew why I was doing it from the get-go. The philosophical bits all seemed 101y at best. Certainly deeper than most games, but it's not philosophical rocket science to ask whether something that is exactly like a human except it is made of metals is human "in the ways that matter".

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Most of the puzzles in the game are really fun, but I really wish they hadn't put the floating mines in the game. The checkpointing in the game sucks and the developer seemed to decide some puzzles weren't hard enough so hell throw so more mines in it.

They're not really that hard to avoid (except in nerve-wracking, which is just awful) but they sure are annoying.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I also really enjoyed following the QR code messages and the "story" of the characters as you work through the missions, thank god they didn't make you scan every QR code manually though.

I'll agree that the game is very Philosophy 101 but I really liked the framework in which it was presented (MLA is trying to prove you're a human in order to give you an admin account (but for what purpose exactly?)) and yeah engaging with it is totally unnecessary. There was never a case where I would rather have been doing puzzles, and there was never a case where I didn't want to engage with the terminals, I think they nailed the balance.

The one thing that disappointed me the most was the hidden worlds, and the payoff for completing them.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Kylra posted:

If you didn't play this game because puzzles are fun and are rewarding in themselves then something is seriously wrong with you. Maybe you're not even really human, as the game suggests.
Not that solving puzzles isn't fun, but there comes a point where you're no longer discovering new solutions, just rehashing old solutions in a new context, and I get the impression that the post-game content falls into that category. I like puzzle games, but I'm not the type to fill out every sudoku puzzle I can find, unless I'm specifically looking for something that is not a challenge anymore. (But I won't criticize people who do like to do that, either.)

Kylra posted:

Really a lot of that stuff kind of bored me. I asked myself the question and I knew why I was doing it from the get-go. The philosophical bits all seemed 101y at best. Certainly deeper than most games, but it's not philosophical rocket science to ask whether something that is exactly like a human except it is made of metals is human "in the ways that matter".
The game isn't about exploring new ideas, it's about cleanly presenting the core problems at the heart of philosophy, the problems that need to be addressed first and foremost in any school of philosophical thought. In doing this, in its way, I think it does a good job of illustrating how different cultures came up with the schools of thought that they did, basically by demonstrating that it's a logical process with a natural flow, that it couldn't have really ended up any other way. The game doesn't represent an average person's level of understanding of philosophy; it represents all average people's understandings of philosophy, and how they all arrived the different conclusions they did. While that doesn't exactly add to philosophical debate, it does nicely summarize and encapsulate a basic kind of beauty that can be found within the nature of philosophy as a whole, and that contributes to philosophy in its own way.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Wanton Spoon posted:

Not that solving puzzles isn't fun, but there comes a point where you're no longer discovering new solutions, just rehashing old solutions in a new context, and I get the impression that the post-game content falls into that category. I like puzzle games, but I'm not the type to fill out every sudoku puzzle I can find, unless I'm specifically looking for something that is not a challenge anymore. (But I won't criticize people who do like to do that, either.)
Well, you at least did it because you found it enjoyable, right?

quote:

The game isn't about exploring new ideas, it's about cleanly presenting the core problems at the heart of philosophy, the problems that need to be addressed first and foremost in any school of philosophical thought. In doing this, in its way, I think it does a good job of illustrating how different cultures came up with the schools of thought that they did, basically by demonstrating that it's a logical process with a natural flow, that it couldn't have really ended up any other way. The game doesn't represent an average person's level of understanding of philosophy; it represents all average people's understandings of philosophy, and how they all arrived the different conclusions they did. While that doesn't exactly add to philosophical debate, it does nicely summarize and encapsulate a basic kind of beauty that can be found within the nature of philosophy as a whole, and that contributes to philosophy in its own way.
Kant et al weren't really average people. A lot of the included philosophers were basically obsessed with the problems they tackled. The average person generally merely thinks an apple is there because they see it or taste it or what have you. Philosophers are the ones who write giant walls of text to prove to themselves and others that the apple they are eating exists and is in at least some way really an apple. Not that that's bad though. That's why philosophers are also the ones who created things like science and laid the seeds for technology and democratic government.

I mean, it's ok since people sometimes haven't thought of these things before and I think people should think about them more, but it's still not philosophical rocket science.

It also didn't do a very good job of saying why they arrived at their conclusions. Most of the lines attributed to the robots are basically statements of despair rather than a eureka moment. That's more where you start rather than what you conclude unless you're ready to kill yourself (though admittedly many of the robot incarnations supposedly were at those points). The stuff from real-world philosophers and religions also wasn't that in-depth from what I recall.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Wow, pretty shocked the thread is so slim because... in 30 years of playing games, this has been the most impressive I've ever seen, and that quality has stood out almost every moment I've played it. The puzzle design has so much variety in such a limited number of pieces, the way they design the environment to block or allow actions nears perfection, and I've never had so much fun breaking a puzzle game so completely, and having breaking the game be a canon response to how you interact with it (even matching to the conversations) is astounding. I even found an epitaph during one excursion outside of the map.

I just spent a good thirty minutes trying to figure out how to get to a shameful easter egg that ended up being useless by glitch-jumping onto the walls and carefully jumping around the perimeter as Elohim rambled on about his words and poo poo. I finally got to the easter egg, picked it up in triumph, turned, and saw the hidden path I was supposed to just walk through. Man, what a great game, to let me do that. I've gotten so many stars with no idea how I was supposed to legitimately get to them; I'd just pull pieces out of their areas and start bashing them around until they worked. I just can't tell if I'm improvising, or if the puzzle design is that crazy. It's such a delightful inversion of how Serious Sam 3 blocked too much off with invisible walls.

Oh man, and the way they break things up is fantastic. They don't introduce a new tool and then bang on it for the next five levels, or keep on adding pieces until it's all a jumble. The difficulty keeps increasing (I'm on C-7), but they're constantly mixing it up, and doing things like making difficult but satisfying puzzles with two pieces. It's very close to perfection.

My one niggle is that considering how confrontational the conversations get, you don't get many options to respond. But, well, that's kind of appropriate to the personality you're talking with; it simply cannot conceive of anything beyond its parameters.

I'd always counted on Croteam to make really fun games, but I never expected this.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

For realz, go play this.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Just went and 100%'d this. I enjoyed it, but I gotta say, I didn't really like a lot of the puzzles. There were plenty of repeats, and a lot of the laser ones were foiled because I missed a very specific pixel-perfect angle.

They don't often explain mechanics very well, so Road of Death was impossible to me until I figured out I could place a cube on top of an enemy.

I had to look up a walkthrough to figure out how to even use the Platform in the first place.

Dying by having a mine blow up in your face having to start the entire thing over discourages exploration and playing with the mechanics, so I didn't tend to find a lot of the stuff I probably should have.

Waiting around for the Recorder to trigger isn't fun, they need a fast-forward button for that or something.

A lot of the time, I wasn't sure if I was solving a puzzle the intended way, because I'd simply make a jump that I'm quite sure I shouldn't be able to make. Left a lingering weird feeling in the back of my mind.

That said, the art/music/atmosphere/plot/non-puzzle-game-mechanics all make up for it. Highly enjoyed it even if I felt the actual puzzles were extremely weak.

Easter eggs and metagaming star puzzles were my favorite things, except for that one where you have to decode a QR code. That one's a perfect example of some of the dumb bullshit this game pulls (how was I supposed to know it wasn't just the stock qr_code.png texture like all the rest of them??)

8/10.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Giving this thread a bump since the game is 50% off on Steam right now.

And there's a Serious Sam DLC for it!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tecman posted:

Giving this thread a bump since the game is 50% off on Steam right now.

And there's a Serious Sam DLC for it!
There's also an expansion aimed for a summer release (alongside the PS4 version undoubtedly).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Suspicious Dish posted:

Easter eggs and metagaming star puzzles were my favorite things, except for that one where you have to decode a QR code. That one's a perfect example of some of the dumb bullshit this game pulls (how was I supposed to know it wasn't just the stock qr_code.png texture like all the rest of them??)

Fun fact - all the QR codes actually say what the tooltip says they do. (Well, unless they pulled a serious bait-and-switch later on - I stopped pulling out my phone after the first few). Yes, even the ones you paint yourself. It's pretty cool. (I guess the first hint that they're not just generic textures would be that the longer messages have more complex QR codes than the short ones.)

Game is pretty awesome, but 100%ing it seems like a serious chore.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 3, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's actually really cool but the puzzle still violates basic game logic.

I'm still mad that one of the puzzles in the last world involved me jumping on a metal fence with spikes on the top. I did not think I could jump on fences with spikes on them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can you tell me which puzzle you mean? To be honest that doesn't sound like an intendet solution and I can't remember something like that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Weathertop in C-3. To get the jammer out of its quarantine hole you have to jump on a metal fence with spikes on it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Any big hints for:

A6: "Deception" - I hate this one. I am one connector short, but the angles and walls conspire to ensure that I don't have enough. Each barrier has to be opened in sequence, they only open from one side only. I have looked carefully for hidden things. I can't solve this.

EDIT: Wait, I just thought of something... Son-of-a-bitch... that was it. What a dick.

f#a# posted:

Did anybody get admin privileges before heading to C, or was that scripted to lock you out until then? Everything I saw looked custom-tailored to me.

I got them before entering reaching B5.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 3, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kylra posted:

I had the same issue with The Swapper, mainly frustration at people marveling at how 'deep' it was, when its talky bits were definitely Phil 101 at their strongest.

Then something clicked and I realized that for a lot of players that game (or others, like Talos) would be their first head-on encounter with these concepts. So I stuck around for the bastardy puzzles and creepy ambience, and tried to remember what it was like when I first started trying to wrap my head around those ideas.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
I found them silly at first, but I started to appreciate them when the game started to reveal what it was about a bit more - and I was able to see how the various texts connected to the plot. Yeah, it's light stuff, but I still liked it once that happened and it gave the game some flavour you don't see that often.

Just watching a friend go through the game for his first time via Steam's streaming makes me smile when I re-read some of them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Weathertop in C-3. To get the jammer out of its quarantine hole you have to jump on a metal fence with spikes on it.

There are places you can do slightly glitch jumps to solve puzzles, but you don't need to. You can use a cube to hop the fence, then place another cube on the outside and lift the first cube over the fence.

As for the QR codes, there's at least one I remember that has a different message if you manually scan it than if you trust the game's UI.

• Locked thread