Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TheOrange posted:

Just finished the DLC, pretty enjoyable, though going back to do all the stars is something I think I'm going to resort to a guide for.

You only need 10 stars - there are 10 tetromino slots on the star puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

GotLag posted:

You only need 10 stars - there are 10 tetromino slots on the star puzzle

That makes the whole thing a lot more convenient then, I was kind of worried it was like the main game in that respect.

Also I'm incredibly glad that Gehenna only had a handful of recorder puzzles and that 0 of them required you to use that drat platform object.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheOrange posted:

About the ending: I guess it's supposed to be ambiguous? I'm figuring I might see more if I go through the effort to rescue Admin before transcending
You help the other AI's ascend, whatever that means. I'm guessing they get to be part of the original player's new world?

Freeing Admin doesn't change much, except that he gets out too. You still get left behind, unless I missed something somewhere.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

WhiteHowler posted:

Freeing Admin doesn't change much, except that he gets out too. You still get left behind, unless I missed something somewhere.

It's possible to make him give up his place for you, so that you transcend and he gets left behind. I kind of wished the endings were more different than just the epilogue, though.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

WhiteHowler posted:

You help the other AI's ascend, whatever that means. I'm guessing they get to be part of the original player's new world?

You upload their combined knowledge into the gold disk, which get uploaded into the player character at the end of the base game. I'm assuming its a way to give the player character morals once hes in the real world

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

oliven posted:

It's possible to make him give up his place for you, so that you transcend and he gets left behind.

It's also possible to make him hate himself enough that he won't let you sacrifice yourself for him.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

You upload their combined knowledge into the gold disk, which get uploaded into the player character at the end of the base game. I'm assuming its a way to give the player character morals once hes in the real world

Ending Talk:
Yeah, that kind of had me wondering, I guess there's only the one Talos robot in the real world or else they would of shown more of them? In a way it kind of seems like there might not be a future for the robot in the real-world unless it builds others like itself to fuel it's own civilization.

oliven posted:

It's possible to make him give up his place for you, so that you transcend and he gets left behind. I kind of wished the endings were more different than just the epilogue, though.

I ended up doing this as well, but yeah, I wish the ending was a little more in depth. It feels like they had to make this DLC on a limited budget that wouldn't allow them to make real cutscenes. I think it worked out really well for the base game though, reading all the different interactions, playing text adventures, and browsing ASCII art were all real highlights of Gehenna. I was also a little surprised (More ending stuff) that Admin would be willing to give up his place for you since given the conversations you have it doesn't seem like he's all that friendly towards you. I guess that might depend on some of the dialog choices you make as well. Edit: hah, right after I post someone answers that question. I guess it's kind of like Milton from the main game in that way

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

TheOrange posted:

Ending Talk:
Yeah, that kind of had me wondering, I guess there's only the one Talos robot in the real world or else they would of shown more of them? In a way it kind of seems like there might not be a future for the robot in the real-world unless it builds others like itself to fuel it's own civilization.

if you listen to all of the audio logs, you learn that the person working on the TALOS/SOMA (body) just barely finished one before they succumbed to the infection. I guess under ideal circumstances the bot would be able to build more of himself? But then who would he put into it? all the rest of the runs ended up failing and either ascending or not finishing the tower. Theres only one 'person' to come out of the experiment. Would he just copy himself into other bodies?

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

if you listen to all of the audio logs, you learn that the person working on the TALOS/SOMA (body) just barely finished one before they succumbed to the infection. I guess under ideal circumstances the bot would be able to build more of himself? But then who would he put into it? all the rest of the runs ended up failing and either ascending or not finishing the tower. Theres only one 'person' to come out of the experiment. Would he just copy himself into other bodies?

Yeah, that part is part of what had me wondering why they (seemingly) destroy the experiment once one of the AIs has properly ascended, it just feels like it cuts off the further evolution in a way. The only reasoning I could think of is that it needs to divert the power to make a habitat for the robot or somehow complete the process of transferring the AI into the body?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
With regard to Uriel, remember that the player's username during the expansion is Urial_COPY, so Uriel's base personality is getting saved no matter what. I guess what the ending decision means is whether you save Uriel's memories of exploring Gehenna at the expense of losing the whiny bitch Admin.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

oliven posted:

I guess I missed that opportunity. When I told Admin to stay behind, he told me to go gently caress myself. I said "Okay, then we both die."

Kind of annoyed that there were no clues on the "correct" answers.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

WhiteHowler posted:

I guess I missed that opportunity. When I told Admin to stay behind, he told me to go gently caress myself. I said "Okay, then we both die."

Apparently (I can't vouch for this info at all honestly, I read it in a YouTube comment) whether or not it works depends not only on the final conversation (though that matters too, I failed my first attempt), but on the entire conversation you've had with him throughout the game.

I would have preferred knowing that my answers had an impact on this beforehand, but oh well.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I initially thought you could hold it off like in the main game but nope, after while it just locks you out of Gehenna forever

...so I played through the entire thing again. The puzzles go by surprisingly quick once you know the solutions.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

WhiteHowler posted:

In regards to that conversation with Admin Did you pick the option to ask about Lamb? That was the thing I didn't do and I mostly picked the options that related to preserving Gehenna as part of the new world.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Finally finished the DLC. I loved how it concluded and the Admin-rescue puzzles really tested your knowledge of some details of the game mechanics and I had quite a bit of trouble wrapping my head around them.

Also, thirding that the stars in Crater can go gently caress themselves. :mad:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Are the puzzles in the star world all self-contained or do some require out-of-the-box thinking like the stars do?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
In Gehenna? All the star puzzles are self-contained.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Sorry, yeah in Gehenna. I took a brief look at some of the puzzles and was stumped. I just want to make sure I can solve them with what's on hand before really tackling them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

snoremac posted:

Sorry, yeah in Gehenna. I took a brief look at some of the puzzles and was stumped. I just want to make sure I can solve them with what's on hand before really tackling them.
You can, and most can be solved quickly once you figure out their mechanic.

What's The Asset? What's the deal with Spider?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 19, 2015

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dominoes posted:

Have you read the [8+] locked thread?

I'm pretty sure the answer to both of those questions is Lamb.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The high-level threads reveal that Lamb is admin's smurf account, and that he'll be used to bring dissent against Uriel, and may be part of 'the asset' that will more fundamentally undermine or manipulate Uriel; then the game ends.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dominoes posted:

The asset is specifically the Lamb account. Thought, they also use some other methods like vote tampering to assert control over Gehenna. Spider was previously an admin who disagreed with the rest about using deception and manipulation to maintain control and so the other admins did something to his account. Basically he got hellbanned.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just finished the base game and well, I think the last game that made me think like this was Planescape Torment. Sure, abridged philosophy and all that, but it worked much better at the end than I thought at first. I sucked at the final puzzles, so I just console'd those - I would recommend that for anyone who is playing more for the story side of things than the puzzles themselves (which are good, but I just wanted to end it real quick because of curiosity).

Some lore things:

1) There are some QR codes of a version that got really loving broke: v.0666. It's ramblings get worse as Milton gets more and more befuddled and/or angry at your thoughts. Perhaps this version crashed so hard that hacked a part of the simulation and caused it to merge with the MLA? One of Arkady's journals say that the MLA was inteded as part of only the Archive, which confused me a bit.

2) "Samsara" represents some sort of negative Buddhist thing? I didn't get why an alleged seeker of enlightenment would tell you to give the gently caress up, as I am pretty sure the Buddha would tell you to go for the truth

3) There is a "hole" in one of the medieval levels that show how badly broke Elohim is, where he subverted the Process by necessity of survival, but it doesn't want to accept that eventually the dam that powers the computers will break in due time or that the machinery will fail. Any other rooms like that?

4) For all the effort, the Messenger ending was... Meh? Eternalize was good (the game throws enough clues that hey that eternity talk is bullshit so it is fair) and Transcend even better, but given the difficulty in getting the stars and all that jazz, Messenger felt lacking a lot.

Also, is there a way to check all the MLA dialogue without playing the game all over again? I wanna know how Milton goes if you entertain its ideas.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
2) To quote Wikipedia on samsara, "The Buddha taught that there is no beginning to this cycle but that it can be ended through perceiving reality." The Samsara program's name is thus ironic - it has failed/refused to see reality

3) From the first interaction with MLA it is very strongly implied that the simulation has been running a long time, and the archive corruption is a result of this. Two other examples: One of the Hub A worlds has severe audiovisual corruption, and in a Hub B world one of the puzzles is Roman-themed until Elohim switches it back.

4) The Messenger ending: this ending is when the program is dedicated enough to want to help future generations at the cost of missing out on the promised eternity, but not advanced enough to make the intellectual leap to disobey Elohim and ascend the final tower. I think it's also connected to the audio log about the sacrifice inherent in beginning a process you know you won't be around to see the end of.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 25, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just wanted to resurrect this thread because I finally got around to picking up the PS4 version with the DLC included and holy good loving goddamn, this is exactly my poo poo in:re the puzzle design. Whereas often The Witness feels like it requires too much tedious working-out, Talos braves the Portal comparisons well by making even the hardest puzzles a matter of "Here is a goal, let me work toward it, right, now I have a new goal".

Probably the best puzzle game I've played... ever, to be honest. Doesn't hurt that it's loving gorgeous.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The thing with the Messenger ending is that your name becomes one of the messengers in your friends' game, at least on steam. So yes, the cutscene is lacking but the "tombstone" you choose shows up in your friends game in the messenger rooms and the robot he frees has your name on it. The real ending of the game is the tower, but the Messenger is a neat "Show your friends that you got everything!" moment.

I never used a messenger hint, how cryptic were they?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I had to use one on my first playthrough, I can't remember exactly what the hint was but it was enough for me to use it to work out the solution and slap myself in the forehead.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Oh neat, someone bumped the thread just as I finished the game too. Absolutely stellar game, I can't believe the developers of Serious Sam could make a game like this. The puzzles were fun, the environments were beautiful, and the sound track is probably the best thing from the game. I loving love the medieval world music.

The way the story was delivered through terminals was great, I got about halfway through the game where I had a theory about what was going on, and you finally figure it out. The true tower ending doesn't really leave room for a sequel, but I'd love a game based on that setting.

Global warming melts permafrost which was housing a deadly pathogen to humans and their close relatives. A terminal text explains how the orangutan went extinct in a year. Apparently in humans this virus, while it guarantees death, it doesn't do it in a violent or fast way. People talk very calmly about it, there aren't any mentions of rioting, people are just finding closure, and of course SOMA is one of many projects being done to preserve the human legacy.

As for the DLC I think it had even better visuals than the main game. The story wasn't as interesting though, however the bulletin board (reddit) interaction was neat. The trolls were funny, 401 is my hero. Last!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Node posted:

Global warming melts permafrost which was housing a deadly pathogen to humans and their close relatives. A terminal text explains how the orangutan went extinct in a year. Apparently in humans this virus, while it guarantees death, it doesn't do it in a violent or fast way. People talk very calmly about it, there aren't any mentions of rioting, people are just finding closure, and of course SOMA is one of many projects being done to preserve the human legacy.

quote:

<CANNOT LOAD VIDEO FILE>
My new song with lyrics. Gotta laugh about this stuff! Laughter
is the best medicine, LOL.
Lyrics:
I’ve got it
You’ve got it
He’s got it
She’s got it
Mommy’s got it
Daddy’s got it
Baby’s got it
Granny’s got it
Laddie’s got it
Fatty’s got it
Happy’s got it
Sappy’s got it
Chorus:
Everybody!
Everybody’s got it!
Come on!
Jack’s got it
Fred’s got it
Bob’s got it
Dog’s g-
Dog is fine!
Chorus:
Woof woof woof!
Woof woof woof!
*dancing dog*
Everybody!
Everybody’s got it!
Except Dog! (Woof!)
We’ve got it
We’ve got it
We’ve got it
Everybody’s got it!
<FAVORITE> <ADD TO PLAYLIST>

I thought this was just some white noise internet garbage the first time I saw it. And then later on I understood what it was really about :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GotLag posted:

I thought this was just some white noise internet garbage the first time I saw it. And then later on I understood what it was really about :(

Oh poo poo, I never put that together. Nice find.

Seriously, the game does a great job at making you sad but not so much that you want to stop reading or playing.

One has to wonder though, is the reaction to a genocidal virus in The Talos Principle's world realistic? Maybe I'm pessimistic, but even if it was a virus that didn't make you sick, it just made you lethargic and sleepy (Alexandra's two final audio logs display this) until you pass away, I still think there would be riots, wars, crime sprees, all that delightful stuff. It's a rather nice world they live in, where they know the human race is dying rapidly, but everyone accepts their fate in a calm manner, people just want to be with their family, or work on leaving their legacy.

The text file that is an advisory about leaving your house open for your pets so they have a chance to survive after you're gone really hit me hard.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
For me the saddest moment of the game is when you find Alexandra's final log where she realizes that the simulation is flawed, and that she doesn't have enough time or energy to fix it, and they her entire legacy might have been for nothing. In fact, the entire legacy of the human race might have been for nothing. The flaw she was referring to was of course, Elohim. Fortunately you can break the cycle, kill god, and restore humanity. It's a pretty great ending.

The best part of the messenger ending is being able to put the message "I only did this so that I could leave you a warning, it's all a trick, there is no meaning behind any of it"

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Talorat posted:

For me the saddest moment of the game is when you find Alexandra's final log where she realizes that the simulation is flawed, and that she doesn't have enough time or energy to fix it, and they her entire legacy might have been for nothing. In fact, the entire legacy of the human race might have been for nothing. The flaw she was referring to was of course, Elohim. Fortunately you can break the cycle, kill god, and restore humanity. It's a pretty great ending.

I didn't take the flaw to represent Elohim, I figured it was just all of the visual data corruption glitches that occasionally cause pieces of the world to render wrong, plus the mixed in hex/ascii stuff in the files you read.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Node posted:

Oh poo poo, I never put that together. Nice find.

Seriously, the game does a great job at making you sad but not so much that you want to stop reading or playing.

One has to wonder though, is the reaction to a genocidal virus in The Talos Principle's world realistic? Maybe I'm pessimistic, but even if it was a virus that didn't make you sick, it just made you lethargic and sleepy (Alexandra's two final audio logs display this) until you pass away, I still think there would be riots, wars, crime sprees, all that delightful stuff. It's a rather nice world they live in, where they know the human race is dying rapidly, but everyone accepts their fate in a calm manner, people just want to be with their family, or work on leaving their legacy.

The text file that is an advisory about leaving your house open for your pets so they have a chance to survive after you're gone really hit me hard.

If they did it that way it would clash pretty heavily with the gentle, warmly humanistic tone of the game. For a more in-world reason, people just don't have the energy mass violence. Even more than that, the hormonal changes that would go along with a permanent parasympathetic state would probably mean people don't have the inclination for violence even if they had the energy.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Superrodan posted:

I didn't take the flaw to represent Elohim, I figured it was just all of the visual data corruption glitches that occasionally cause pieces of the world to render wrong, plus the mixed in hex/ascii stuff in the files you read.

To me the glitches indicate that the system has been running far longer than it was ever designed to and decay is creeping in, as also indicated by corruption and data loss in the library.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's an event log that flashes during the intro that I believe flashes an uptime of something like 2.17x107 years. It's been running way super longer than it was intended.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Arglebargle III posted:

There's an event log that flashes during the intro that I believe flashes an uptime of something like 2.17x107 years. It's been running way super longer than it was intended.

Twenty million years? That's a really long time. The modern man is only like 200.000 years old. I believe it's fair to assume that that time is a glitch. Nothing humanity creates would ever last that long. Unless we decide to blow up the moon or something.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Yeah, that can't be right. It might be "in simulation" years or something. When you walk outside after completing the Process, the buildings are just barely in a decayed state. They're still standing, but corroded a bit, and have foliage growing on them. It only looks like 50-100 years may have passed. Any trace of humanity would have eroded after twenty million years.

I dont know posted:

If they did it that way it would clash pretty heavily with the gentle, warmly humanistic tone of the game. For a more in-world reason, people just don't have the energy mass violence. Even more than that, the hormonal changes that would go along with a permanent parasympathetic state would probably mean people don't have the inclination for violence even if they had the energy.

Yeah. That supports my theory that the virus was an extremely gentle one. Guaranteed death, but a very peaceful one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Air is lava! posted:

Twenty million years? That's a really long time. The modern man is only like 200.000 years old. I believe it's fair to assume that that time is a glitch. Nothing humanity creates would ever last that long. Unless we decide to blow up the moon or something.

I'm just reporting what I saw. It was a very brief glimpse. Simulation clock might make more sense.

They did make a big deal about the seismic stability, hydro and geothermal power, and crazy redundancy, and the simulation is degrading, which makes me think it's longer than a couple hundred years. Wasn't that the expected run time?

There are already space probes and chemically inert earth artifacts that will last that long though.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 10, 2016

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Game was unexpectedly good. Story was solid and all the puzzles besides a few of the stars could be solved with enough effort. Playing the expansion now, it's fun but definitely harder. Probably just going to look up the stars for this one since they seem pretty impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
We're getting a sequel. Probably. At some point.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/20/the-talos-principle-2-announced/

• Locked thread