Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Sardonik posted:

I finished this the other day, I'm surprised by how little buzz it generated on here. Definitely worth it, I put it in the top tier of games I've played. It's interesting how it captured the feeling of both Portal and the Stanley Parable in places. Part of the genius of the game is also that after the fact, you can really see what they were getting at, what the point of everything was. The main ending, for me, was also very emotional.

It's on sale for the next hour or so, hopefully more people pick it up.

I would agree with this. The thing I really liked about the game was that it nailed a wistful, humane tone without becoming maudlin or overtly sentimental. One of the most overlooked aspects of the game is how well it handles emotional beats. The voice actress for Alex deserves a lot of credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Really Pants posted:

Near the very end of the Tower, there should be a terminal where you can choose to download the Serpent if you didn't erase him previously.

I didn't erase him and spoke to him before leaving, when I offer to take him with me he turned me down stating I would just drive him crazy. I told him I wouldn't forget what he taught me and he replied I better not for everyone's sake, and wished me luck.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that if in one of the very last talks, you are too aggressive or antagonistic towards Milton, getting Press the Serpent or Ignore the Serpent, then you can't take him with you. You need to be willing to reconsider your points of view and agree to make a deal to take him with you.

Paracelsus posted:

Getting Press the Serpent was the high point of the game so far for me. He crashes into the limits of his viewpoint so amazingly hard. "DO NOT QUESTION MY MOTIVES." "I ASK THE QUESTIONS YOU ANSWER THEM." And then he throws the pettiest computer tantrum ever.

Yeah, I got press the serpent, which I assume is why he didn't want to come with me in the end.

Actually, if you don't take him with you or shut him down yourself, does he survive the deletion of the SOMA program? Presumably he would since he is part of the archive program who kinda bleed into the simulation.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 25, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hbomberguy posted:

The whole game is one big recorder puzzle and at the end you hit rewind until the plague is cured.

The plague is a metaphor for the development of the atomic bomb.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hbomberguy posted:

Shift or control, I think, speed up time.

Seriously? Knowing that would have made them far less tedious.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, the lack of a partial button if you mess up is really annoying. Also, recorder puzzles still suck. I metagame'd the recorder puzzle with the star by stealing items from out of bounds, which seems to actually be the intended solution, but I'm quite sure you can recorder it up. Thankfully there were only a few of them. I still blasted through the DLC regardless and only had to look up one solution for an extremely silly star.

Was there supposed to be more of an ending if I save Admin? I got the same fade to black which was disappointing.

If you mean the star on the recorder puzzle in the first world it is possible using only the items in the puzzle, though long and tediuous as recorder puzzles typically are.

Regarding the world three easter egg I found the 2 bottles and the place where the second bottle indicated. There was a robot with a screen for a head displaying a face. Is there something more you can do with this? Also anyone know who the face is?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah. Did you find the secret stairs into the recorder puzzle from Open Field? You can autojump, so I'm quite sure it's intentional although getting the hexahedron actually inside the puzzle area took a bunch of physicsing to get the engine to behave.

As for the World 3 easter egg, there's a second bottle trail that you can find. That one's a lot more tricky. The first guy is just one of the developers admiring the view.

No, I didn't find the secret stairs unless you mean going in over the wall from the area with the dragon statue. I got the recorder star using only elements in the puzzle, but it took a lot of cycles of using the recorder to set up the next step to do.

edit: Went back and found the secret stairs. They clearly were placed deliberately, so I don't know what the intended solution for the recorder puzzle is supposed to be. Using them I was also able to get a box into that puzzle and then the hub areas and finally got the star that was above "Thru a Window".

I dont know fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 4, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dominoes posted:

What's The Asset? What's the deal with Spider?

The asset is specifically the Lamb account. Thought, they also use some other methods like vote tampering to assert control over Gehenna. Spider was previously an admin who disagreed with the rest about using deception and manipulation to maintain control and so the other admins did something to his account. Basically he got hellbanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Node posted:

Oh poo poo, I never put that together. Nice find.

Seriously, the game does a great job at making you sad but not so much that you want to stop reading or playing.

One has to wonder though, is the reaction to a genocidal virus in The Talos Principle's world realistic? Maybe I'm pessimistic, but even if it was a virus that didn't make you sick, it just made you lethargic and sleepy (Alexandra's two final audio logs display this) until you pass away, I still think there would be riots, wars, crime sprees, all that delightful stuff. It's a rather nice world they live in, where they know the human race is dying rapidly, but everyone accepts their fate in a calm manner, people just want to be with their family, or work on leaving their legacy.

The text file that is an advisory about leaving your house open for your pets so they have a chance to survive after you're gone really hit me hard.

If they did it that way it would clash pretty heavily with the gentle, warmly humanistic tone of the game. For a more in-world reason, people just don't have the energy mass violence. Even more than that, the hormonal changes that would go along with a permanent parasympathetic state would probably mean people don't have the inclination for violence even if they had the energy.

• Locked thread