Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I would settle for partial communism at this rate. C'mon 2015, just a taste. Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

mrpwase posted:

Let's adopt the Nepalese calendar, it's 2071 over there. They probably already have full communism already :unsmith:

Wait, Nepal has spaceships and androids?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Actually they have 70% unemployment and mass ritual animal sacrifice, but I'm trying to be optimistic

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Happy new year ye fuckin commie bastards

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

More than a rumour, really. He won't take Charles because of the history, and he won't take Arthur because it's a bit egotistical and ripe for attack. That leaves Philip or George. Of the two, he's much more likely to commemorate his grandfather than his father.
Well, happy new George. A World War, a World War, a regency, some kind of rear end-backward republican revolution, and some leaders who didn't even speak the language.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Full Communism Now damnit

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
in dark times we saw the sun of freedom
and great lenin lighted out path :ussr:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever someone says full communism I think of Michael from I'm Alan Partridge saying "full sex with a woman"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Full blown communism

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are you drunk Pissflaps? these calls for communism seem a little out of character

Carrier
May 12, 2009

HorseLord posted:

I won the christmas and new years game by doing it alone with no tree or decorations of any of that shite.

Yes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

Are you drunk Pissflaps? these calls for communism seem a little out of character

I'm just in the mood for it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Which celebs/politicians do ukmt predict will be outed as nonces this year
Im going for timmy mallet

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I keep threatening my wife with Richard Attenborough.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

On that note, here's a roundup of the final polls of the year: http://www2.politicalbetting.com/in...anilla-comments

The mean Con -> Lab swing is just over 5%, which would mean substantial Labour majorities in England and Wales, and possibly an outright majority nationally even with the SNP surge accounted for.

Yes, Scotland never gets what it votes for. Full Communism Now.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I'm just in the mood for it.

Listen to The Coup, Kill My Landlord is a loving amazing album from about the only communist hip-hop group out there.

Also the track Your Parents Cocaine from their most recent album.

That should get you even more up for a funky communist revolution.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

I keep threatening my wife with Richard Attenborough.

I threaten your wife with Dick too

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

IDS and Gove. It's well known that they both like loving kids.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

IDS and Gove. It's well known that they both like loving kids.

the question is whether the Nonce Pool winner will have a score higher than the Dead Pool winner.

mrpwase posted:

Actually they have 70% unemployment and mass ritual animal sacrifice, but I'm trying to be optimistic

This is the most accurate UK 2015 prediction I've seen so far.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is the most accurate UK 2015 prediction I've seen so far.

We got the ritual animal sacrifice done already, on Boxing Day!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

mrpwase posted:

Is Falange drinking out of a plastic pint pot there?

Political correctness gone mad I tell you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Oberleutnant posted:

Bill Oddie

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

Bill Oddie
That would explain the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfL3_C712Ac

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

biglads posted:

Is Falange drinking out of a plastic pint pot there?

Political correctness gone mad I tell you.

Horses don't like stepping on broken glass. Did he actually go hunting or was he just out in the shires to get Cameron worried about the countryside alliance vote?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Further to yesterday's discussion: I'm not convinced Labour will even manage to get S&C. They won't offer the SNP enough concessions, and I think the Lib Dems would have to ratify it at a special conference.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've just gotten up to the bit where Candide quits the paradise of El Dorado because being rich in an enlightened peaceful utopia is unsatisfying in comparison to lording it over paupers in disease ridden war torn Europe. Still can't quite believe there are real people who think like that :smithicide:

Does this terrible stupid notion have a name?
Last place aversion, and that is the default mode of thinking for almost all people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mrpwase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3c45T1hc3k

Thinking about it, I would love to see Ali G interview Farage

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

JFairfax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3c45T1hc3k

Thinking about it, I would love to see Ali G interview Farage

Nah watching an outdated, racist caricature get interviewed by Ali G would be boring.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Prince John posted:

Horses don't like stepping on broken glass. Did he actually go hunting or was he just out in the shires to get Cameron worried about the countryside alliance vote?

He's definitely inbred enough to enjoy hunting.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mrpwase posted:

He's doing the face thing!

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Oberleutnant posted:

Bruce Forsyth has always really creeped me out and I don't like watching him, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's actually done anything. I wonder if anything will happen over David Bowie and Jimmy Page and the whole thing with Lori Maddox, because that's already out in the open as a '70s sex crime, but everyone sort of forgot about it.

Christmas was nice, I remembered Alexei Sayle's routine about his communist parents telling him that Lenin brought the presents. :3: It's a sweet thought that one day a year, wealth gets redistributed, but then again the rich kids always get the best presents so it doesn't quite work.

JFairfax posted:

Listen to The Coup, Kill My Landlord is a loving amazing album from about the only communist hip-hop group out there.

Also the track Your Parents Cocaine from their most recent album.

That should get you even more up for a funky communist revolution.

Akala, Logic, Immortal Technique, Brother Ali and Lowkey are all pretty good for anti-capitalist hip-hop, though AFAIK they're not explicitly communist. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to look them up!

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Praseodymi posted:

I hope everyone else got to sit through a lovely new year's evening with their right wing relatives!

My relatives are all left wing :shrug:

Including, somehow, the one who's a Tory councillor.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wolfsbane posted:

My relatives are all left wing :shrug:

Including, somehow, the one who's a Tory councillor.

Umm you'll need to explain that one because I'm pretty sceptical of the idea of a left wing Tory.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stottie Kyek posted:

Akala, Logic, Immortal Technique, Brother Ali and Lowkey are all pretty good for anti-capitalist hip-hop, though AFAIK they're not explicitly communist. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to look them up!

Immortal Technique is not a particularly good rapper, also a 9/11 conspiracy theorist. pretty sure when I saw him in Bristol he did a thing about how 'bush brought down the towers' so, yeah...

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

forkboy84 posted:

Umm you'll need to explain that one because I'm pretty sceptical of the idea of a left wing Tory.

I can't explain it. She gets votes because she's awesome and works really hard on behalf of her constituents, and she doesn't seem to get on with the rest of the party. I believe she joined so that they would pay her deposit, but I have no idea how the whole situation doesn't collapse.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

forkboy84 posted:

I went out carol singing with a bunch of folk in my mam's village, one of them was a Tory councillor too. I was wearing my replica Soviet ushanka at the time, so we had a chat about communism and he was surprisingly friendly about the whole thing. I think he was one of the old-fashioned idealistic sort who believes in the noblesse oblige and all that stuff, but has stuck with the Tory party even after the Thatcher years. Much like my mam, she votes Tory but if you ask her her opinion on anything, it never lines up with current Tory party policy. :iiam:

JFairfax posted:

Immortal Technique is not a particularly good rapper, also a 9/11 conspiracy theorist. pretty sure when I saw him in Bristol he did a thing about how 'bush brought down the towers' so, yeah...

:stare: Ah, hadn't heard that one. I don't understand conspiracy theorists like that, there is actual exploitation going on in plain view, but they'd rather talk about weird secretive cabals as if the world works like a Dan Brown airport novel.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igsqTkzhbvE

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Dave has a Message:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11320232/The-country-is-on-course-for-a-brighter-future.html

quote:

We set in place a long-term economic plan. We asked for the patience, sacrifice and hard work of the British people to see this plan through – and together we have been turning our country around.
We took our country out of the mire of the Great Recession and in 2014 turned it into the fastest-growing economy of all the major advanced nations. We have made real progress on reducing our deficit – cutting it in half. Together we have turned the doom-mongering on job losses and unemployment on its head, transforming this country into the jobs factory of Europe.

So this plan is not just fixing the economy – we are changing the values of our country. As Prime Minister I want Britain to be a country where effort is rewarded: where those who put in, get out; where if you put the hours in, you keep more of your own money; where if you’re willing to save, you can buy a home of your own; where those retiring can have dignity and security in old age. Put simply, I want Britain to be a country that everyone is truly proud to call home – and after almost five years, we are getting there.

Labour have no plan beyond more spending, more borrowing and more debt. Ed Miliband revealed recently that Labour would never clear the overall budget deficit. He would run a deficit – permanently adding to debt – indefinitely. That would leave us dangerously exposed should any further shocks hit our economy, like they did in 2008.
What’s more, because they refuse to make difficult decisions on spending, a Labour government would raise the spectre of higher taxes on every family and business in Britain. The money for their profligacy and incompetence would have to come from somewhere – and it would come from you. After all the hard work of the past five years, a Labour Government would suck Britain back into the chaos of debt, uncertainty and instability.
As for Ukip, all they can deliver is Ed Miliband into Downing Street.
A vote for Ukip is a vote to prop up a failing Labour government – a government that would refuse to give people a referendum on Europe and that would take us back to the days of open-door immigration, an out-of-control welfare budget and a something-for-nothing society.

In contrast to this chaos, the Conservatives offer the competence of a plan that is working. With a second term in government, we can go so much further. We have committed to cutting the taxes of hardworking people – by the end of the next Parliament, no one would pay the 40p tax rate until they were earning £50,000; and no one would pay income tax at all until they are earning £12,500.
We would fund three million more apprenticeships and build 100,000 starter homes especially for young first-time buyers.
Labour’s Human Rights Act would be scrapped – and an in-out referendum on Europe delivered. And we would carry on with the job that we have started: creating more jobs; helping more children get a decent education; giving more young people the opportunity to get on in life; giving more families peace of mind about the future.

So there you go. Vote Conservative!

Also, the Times did some polling suggesting that around a third of the Green vote will revert to Labour when the election comes: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/yougov-polling-for-red-box/will-labour-benefit-from-tactical-green-vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yay I totally want to get rid of the HRA, definitely voting for Tories, who needs human rights? :neckbeard:

It's absolutely stunning to me that you can say "Labour's Human Rights Act" and get any response that isn't at least "okay I'll grant you, Labour did one very good thing".

• Locked thread