Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Who actually reads this poo poo? It's like the hypnosis tapes they play to babies in Brave New World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

baka kaba posted:

Who actually reads this poo poo? It's like the hypnosis tapes they play to babies in Brave New World

gently caress no, BNW actually featured a functional society where everyone, no matter their role, was cared for.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Between 2000 and 2012, 2.9 million private sector houses were built in the UK. BTL landlords bought 2.5 million of them: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/property/article4311161.ece?shareToken=15b2410d946d0a35bf4bb875d204d1d6

quote:

Buy-to-let lending has grown from a standing start in 1996 into a business that accounts for 13 per cent of the mortgage market. Of the 2.6 million additional properties in the private rented sector since 1996, 1.4 million have been financed by buy-to-let loans, according to IMLA.
The average age of a first-time buyer who gets no financial help has risen from 30 in 2008 to 33, the Council for Mortgage Lenders said.
Ms Barker said the changing profile of the UK housing market was dividing society and could make it harder for people to secure themselves in old age. “If you come from a family that hasn’t got a history of home ownership, it’s getting harder to get on the ladder,” she said.

baka kaba posted:

Who actually reads this poo poo?
Apparently, you and I.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

Apparently, you and I.

If your gaze didn't fall through those sentences pachinko-style, from soundbite to glib well-worn soundbite, I don't know what to tell you! But obviously I was talking about a receptive audience... who are these people who read that tripe and go 'hmm yes!'

e- or more like 'well that wasn't a complete waste of a minute of my life'

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 1, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

Between 2000 and 2012, 2.9 million private sector houses were built in the UK. BTL landlords bought 2.5 million of them: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/property/article4311161.ece?shareToken=15b2410d946d0a35bf4bb875d204d1d6

Apparently, you and I.

No one cares because the current narrative is "buy to let" is the new way to become an entrepreneur which we should all become. This bad thing? It is a good thing!

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Right

we're gonna need to have a very good transfer window if Stevie is ever gonna get that winner's medal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

No one cares because the current narrative is "buy to let" is the new way to become an entrepreneur which we should all become. This bad thing? It is a good thing!
Like all things capitalist, most of the profit from buy to let is concentrated in the hands of a very few.

And half of them are on benefits.
http://ampp3d.mirror.co.uk/2014/03/05/ten-members-of-the-sunday-times-rich-list-who-receive-housing-benefit/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hoops posted:

Right

we're gonna need to have a very good transfer window if Stevie is ever gonna get that winner's medal.

Wrong thread mate.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Hoops posted:

Right

Lol, stevie's current form :smith:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Deffo wrong thread, the UKMT has been desecrated with talk of men in shorts kicking a ball, around a field, as if we're all expected to care about it.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 2, 2015

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Hoops posted:

Deffo wrong thread, the UKMT has been desecrated with talk of men in shorts kicking a ball, around a field, as if we're all expected to care about it.

Whereas when David Cameron says something...

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does this terrible stupid notion have a name?

I'm not sure whether you or TinTower are disagreeing with the idea that it is worse to be poor when others around you are rich? Because it massively is, for very practical reasons that have nothing to do with spite. Of course that doesn't imply that people on benefits here are necessarily better off than people on a lower income in a more equal country, the absolute poverty rate matters as well. But who was better off could be shown by rates of death/suicide/mental illness - it shouldn't just be assumed because of simple income.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 2, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oh dear me posted:

I'm not sure whether you or TinTower are disagreeing with the idea that it is worse to be poor when others around you are rich? Because it massively is, for very practical reasons that have nothing to do with spite. Of course that doesn't imply that people on benefits here are necessarily better off than people on a lower income in a more equal country, the absolute poverty rate matters as well. But who was better off could be shown by rates of death/suicide/mental illness - it shouldn't just be assumed because of simple income.

No? I was asking about the opposite thing where some people, given the choice between "I have two cows and so does my neighbour" or "I have two cows while my neighbour has one", will state a preference for the latter scenario (a query satisfactorily answered by Forgall)

I'm aware this isn't what's being happening in the quote TinTower posted, it just coincidentally reminded me of something similar but different.

I'm personally aware that being better off than third worlders in the company of people who are richer still is a poo poo time. Using this to downplay the situation of said third world people, however, is an absolutely terrible justification for claiming that the world as a whole has gotten too rich and needs to be pared back.

e/ if you don't know what Malthusianism is I suggest you check it out, the tl;dr is "kill the poor"

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 2, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

e/ if you don't know what Malthusianism is I suggest you check it out, the tl;dr is "kill the poor"
Isn't the tl;dr of Malthusianism just that there are too many people, and if we had less people then each person could have more stuff or would have less of a negative impact on society?

Many of the methods to achieve the goals of Malthusianism do disproportionately affect the poor, but this is a consequence of the economic systems currently at play.
There's no way to implement population control in a capitalist economy that doesn't disproportionately affect the poor, but there's no way to implement most things in a capitalist economy that doesn't disproportionately affect the poor, so I'm not so sure that's a demerit against Malthusianism rather than a demerit against capitalism.
Some forms of Malthusianism specifically say that reducing the number of rich/middle-class/developed-worlders is a priority due to their higher consumption.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Of course I know what Malthusianism is. It is the idea that the population will naturally grow beyond its capacity to feed itself - which becomes a harmful idea when it is accompanied by the further assumption that the poor are at fault for reproducing, but of course that is not a logical corollary at all. I've only seen rightwingers argue that. Still, I expect most Greens think we should, for the sake of other species, limit our population size - through the known and effective method of allowing women education, contraception and equal rights.

And of course this was all started by a quotation which Natalie Bennett denies having said anyway.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Some forms of Malthusianism specifically say that reducing the number of rich/middle-class/developed-worlders is a priority due to their higher consumption.

Higher consumption you say? *writes daily mail article about how the fatties need to be culled*

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Prince Andrew has been named in "Sex slave" suit in the States.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/prince-andrew-named-in-underage-sex-lawsuit-9954198.html

Wonder what his mother thinks.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Mega Comrade posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/prince-andrew-named-in-underage-sex-lawsuit-9954198.html

I'm sure some favours will be cashed in and it will disappear.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ANY bad thing is going to disproportionately affect the poor. There's just so many poor to affect, and rich people can buy their way out of the problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JFairfax posted:

Listen to The Coup, Kill My Landlord is a loving amazing album from about the only communist hip-hop group out there.

Also the track Your Parents Cocaine from their most recent album.

That should get you even more up for a funky communist revolution.

Then you can come back to reality with Lyapis Trubetskoy.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

less amusing this way, but such is life

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Does Farage have a formal education, or at least, a basic understanding of macroeconomics?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

awesome-express posted:

Does Farage have a formal education, or at least, a basic understanding of macroeconomics?

He went to a good school but then went straight into a bank to be a trader. If you've ever met traders, that would tell you exactly what you need to know.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

awesome-express posted:

He's a libertarian so the answer is yes to the first and a big fat no to the second.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's a libertarian so the answer is yes to the first and a big fat no to the second.

I wouldn't say any libertarian has a formal education in macroeconomics. Libertarianism is not by any means gospel in mainstream macroeconomic thought. It's mainly Keynesian macroeconomics and neoclassical microeconomics.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Tory's new election poster:

It's a highway to hell :unsmigghh:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I like that the road to a stronger economy features no buildings or industry.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Single-lane back road with no visible passing places.
Seems pretty appropriate to their "How I think things are is how they are, lalala I can't hear anything different" approach.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Bumps along the road motif. Oh how do I hate them

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Remember when it was all fields? Remember when there was nothing?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hello voter! Do you know anything about economics? No? Well the deficit is halved. This must be really important because it's on our poster.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I want to see a version of that poster that's not lush countryside, but a main street in one of our nation's many depressed, shithole cities.

I feel the flag would look more natural creeping down a potholed road full of betting shops, vagrants and torn £££'s for gold posters.

Edit: Actually, I'm not geographically inclined, so is it possible that country road leads to the German border??

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

That's been talked about for over a decade, its just hes never been named in the court documents before. Going to be tricky if they lose any of the cases, as will permanently tarnish his name, although this allegation isn't the only one he has had in regards to sex with teenage girls, mostly due to he had a habit of being friends with very dodgy people. Think he changed the type of people he hangs round after all these rumours / allegations started to surface a decade ago.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like the roads that are based on the lines of the old Roman roads.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
We are not out of the woods, rather we are heading right into them and when we emerge it will be 1935.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a poorly maintained road disappearing into an uninhabited English landscape — forever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Not Operator posted:

I want to see a version of that poster that's not lush countryside, but a main street in one of our nation's many depressed, shithole cities.

I feel the flag would look more natural creeping down a potholed road full of betting shops, vagrants and torn £££'s for gold posters.

Edit: Actually, I'm not geographically inclined, so is it possible that country road leads to the German border??

I couldn't find a high street shot so have liverpool instead

I also ran into this!

:unsmigghh:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:effort:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Can someone give me the Cliffnotes version of understanding Tory-speak on the deficit.

They say it has been halved. I don't think that's a particular priority at all but whatever let's run with it.
Then I'm told the deficit is actually higher than it was under New Labour.
So which is true? Whether it's an important measure or not, have the Tories actually been successful at reducing it?
If not, how do they spin their claims of halving it? I'm going to guess it's possible with some statistical alchemy, because surely even George Osborne can't just barefaced lie and not even bother to make it seem believable without the opposition and the media giving him a hiding? ...Surely.
He can, can't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Xachariah posted:

I wouldn't say any libertarian has a formal education in macroeconomics. Libertarianism is not by any means gospel in mainstream macroeconomic thought. It's mainly Keynesian macroeconomics and neoclassical microeconomics.

The archetypal libertarian has taken an introduction class in economics where they cover Smith and Ricardo and basic monetary policy, mixes it in with half-remembered stuff about Wiemar Germany and how unions destroyed industry in the seventies, and just runs with it.

• Locked thread