Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flectarn
May 29, 2013

General China posted:

£50 is a lot of money.

you live in a mansion in the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

If you really want to know, I went to Liverpool University to study history, but I dropped out after failing the second year and went back to Somerset to work various minimum wage factory jobs.

Last year I took a couple of modules with the Open University, using the points I had acquired at Liverpool and putting them towards an open degree qualification with the OU.

If I take another 60 point module with the OU I can get a degree without honours but if I get another 120 points I will be eligible to get a degree with honours.

That help?

Incidentally I think I was in the second year of people to pay tuition fees, they were £1500 a year if I remember correctly. I am still paying off the loans for my failed degree attempt.

you still think £50 is not a lot of money

now I know you have have no drive or ambition

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

higher education is bourgeois excess

That's right Brother Number One.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

you still think £50 is not a lot of money

Are you drunk or high or something?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fifty quid is less than a week of JSA. It is not a lot of money.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Flectarn posted:

you live in a mansion in the country

Almost.

I live in a farmhouse with a tower.

I owe my success to my exceptional sexual attractiveness.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
General China rode a horse at a fox hunt on Boxing Day.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Pissflaps posted:

I rode a fox with my cat following the scent

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Thats a powerful accusation.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What sort of farmhouse needs a tower?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

exceptional sexual attractiveness.

It's good to know we have something in common

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

General China posted:

Lots of people drop out of university for reasons other than lack of drive or ambition.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

What sort of farmhouse needs a tower?

The farmhouse where me and my cat live.

We shoot rabbits from the top of the tower in the summer.

I run up a black and red anarchist flag to piss off the local tories.

General China fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

The farmhouse where me and my cat live.

We shoot rabbits from the top of the tower in the summer.

I run up a black and red anarchist flag to piss off the local tories.

Nice.

But... is it a silage tower?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

Nice.

But... is it a silage tower?

More octagonal with those up and down things

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
"Tally ho chaps" -General 'Tarquin' China

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mega Comrade posted:

Lots of people drop out of university for reasons other than lack of drive or ambition.

They do for sure. But to be fair I was a massive stoner who would much rather get high and play Pro Evo than do his coursework.

Idiotic, but part of the reason I dropped out was that I figured if I repeated that without addressing my habits I'd probably do the same thing.

I can't complain with my lot now. I quit my job in January 2014 to start a business with a colleague and now I am living in Chicago building a company from the ground up, turning this from a 'best case, wildest dreams' kind of idea into something that is hitting our year one projections and that ultimately we want to be a multi-million dollar operation.

But yeah. I lack drive and ambition.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Oops

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

did you drop something?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

did you drop something?

I posted about my Twitter account in the wrong thread.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
oops indeed.

are you playing that dick or no dick twitter game?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No it's transphobic.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I heard Brendan Rodgers plays it for real

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder if he's any good at it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

JFairfax posted:

They do for sure. But to be fair I was a massive stoner who would much rather get high and play Pro Evo than do his coursework.

That's fair enough but you should have done sports then you could have played Pro Evo and still graduated. I did politics and then strategic studies and dossed around playing Civ IV and Hearts of Iron all the time and called it studying.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mister Adequate posted:

That's fair enough but you should have done sports then you could have played Pro Evo and still graduated. I did politics and then strategic studies and dossed around playing Civ IV and Hearts of Iron all the time and called it studying.

I'm so loving glad I didn't know about Civ when I was at university.

Lethal Drizzle
Feb 24, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Fifty quid is less than a week of JSA. It is not a lot of money.

After paying my top up rent (literally impossible to find somewhere that HB alone covers in my town) I have 50 quid left to live off for the month.
It's a lot of money to some people.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You don't have to buy a new phone every month genius! :wankah:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Technology is relatively cheap but the increasing number of people trapped in poverty may well still not be able to afford those relatively low prices. Given the popularity of the [url= http://www.obamaphone.com/]Obama Phone[/url] program in the US it is not hard to imagine mobiles being unaffordable for a few percent of the UK population given how rapidly out safety net is eroding to match America's.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Unaffordable doesn't mean people still don't have them though, what with credit and the necessity of having a phone. Plus the fact that parents with less money tend to sacrifice more so their kids can have things, especially things that will help them fit in socially

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
:siren:NonceWatch2015:siren:

Most of the tabloid front pages this morning are splashed with this news of Prince Andrew loving a 15 year old lol

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Pedogeddon has reached the lofty heights of the barely royalty. I think this might actually have made him more popular, I mean I'd never even heard of him before.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

And of course the BBC doesn't report that it happened, they report that the claimant is lying. For want of impartiality, they are victim blaming.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"Prince Andrew sex claims woman"

Best headline noun of the year. But I like to think of it as a full sentence

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In other Paedogeddon news, ]a Lib Dem councillor who got caught up in Operation Ore has been formally notified by the Met there is no case to answer.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

KKKlean Energy posted:

"Prince Andrew sex claims woman"

shock romp horror exclusive pics inside

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Venomous posted:

And of course the BBC doesn't report that it happened, they report that the claimant is lying. For want of impartiality, they are victim blaming.

No they're not. They dont make a comment on anything and use direct quotes from the us lawyer. They're reporting on his statement in your link. And wheres the victim blaming? Do you even know what that phrase means?

You're trying to make out that their headline is 'Women makes false allegations' when its patently not. Theres enough lovely journalism in the world that you dont have to go manufacturing outrage.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
"Defendant denies charge" is not often made into a headline, it seems to me. Bias is shown through the selection of stories as well as the actual writing.(Your use of 'outrage' would be an example of the latter.)

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 3, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oh dear me posted:

"Defendant denies charge" is not often made into a headline, it seems to me.

I think the first mistake you're making there is that there isn't a charge. This is not a criminal proceeding so there are no charges to deny.

But more importantly, every case involving a 'famous' person has had a headline where they've 'strongly denied' charges.

They've literally reported on what a statement someone has released. They've even included the womans response. At no point have they 'victim blamed' and at no point have they reported that 'it didn't happen.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I think the first mistake you're making there is that there isn't a charge. This is not a criminal proceeding so there are no charges to deny.

But more importantly, every case involving a 'famous' person has had a headline where they've 'strongly denied' charges.

They've literally reported on what a statement someone has released. They've even included the womans response. At no point have they 'victim blamed' and at no point have they reported that 'it didn't happen.'

Don't you get it? The BBC is a victim-blaming left wing apologist that epitomises the current trend towards reporting opinions instead of facts, and it's all paid for by ARE LICENCE FEES

• Locked thread