Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
fro Harime Nui's sake ITT

i never watdched pacific rim but prometheus was a let down except if you never saw alien(s) then it was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I never saw Alien(s) and I still didn't like it

I don't like movies where the characters do totally idiotic things to move the plot along

cool robot though

naem
May 29, 2011

LROMETHEOUS WAS V GOOD I LIKED IT HAHA ATTRACTIVE LADIESz

naem
May 29, 2011

HEERE ARE SEVERALD PHOTTOS OF TEH ATTRACTIVE ALADDIES

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

They were both equally dumb, but Pacific Rim at least knew it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

naem posted:

LROMETHEOUS WAS V GOOD I LIKED IT HAHA ATTRACTIVE LADIESz

Hmmm...... I like you, friend

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
idris elba is simultaneously black and cool

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spooky girlfriend posted:

They were both equally dumb, but Pacific Rim at least knew it.

Or at least not up its own rear end thinking it was being brilliant

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

naem posted:

HEERE ARE SEVERALD PHOTTOS OF TEH ATTRACTIVE ALADDIES

aladdin wasnt in this movie???

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I think he should play all 10 avengers, and loki, and star lord what about you

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think it's interesting that people are saying Prometheus was a "pretentious" film. I assume that's what they call it now when you bother to composite a shot really nice in your space monster movie.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

He should play all 10 Avengers, but keep Tom Hiddleston and Chris Pratt and then make the plot about a bunch of Idris Elbas having sex with them, THERE'S YOUR MOVIE.

naem
May 29, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

He should play skarelette Johnson

Not her character, he should play actress skarlette Johnson

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

I think it's interesting that people are saying Prometheus was a "pretentious" film. I assume that's what they call it now when you bother to composite a shot really nice in your space monster movie.

Uh no, it's because people like to pretend the plot is not dumb and gay.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
loving---I know what was missing. We needed a fifteen minute long prologue where Idris Elba filled us in on everything Greek Chorus style so the movie wouldn't be so confusing!

"The aliens...... had seeded life on our world....... but abandoned..... their creation............. the old guy..... is on the ship............. he's in,

the basement...."

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

i think he should be james bond IMO

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

no it was pretentious because it posited big compelling ideas but had no follow through like a STEM major posting about philosophy on facebook after reading some wikipedia summaries

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unlimited shrimp posted:

no it was pretentious because it posited big compelling ideas but had no follow through like a STEM major posting about philosophy on facebook after reading some wikipedia summaries

you just articulated why I really don't like that movie thanks

I haven't been quite able to put my finger on it

naem
May 29, 2011

No way, that doesn't make sense. Should a white actor play Malcolm x?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

unlimited shrimp posted:

Well we don't get easy answers, in life, I think that may be what the movie was trying to say, Morgan Freeman's not going to show up to tell you if it's right for her to hold onto her faith at the end or w/e

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

If Curtis Jackson really plays James Bond it's going to own

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

Well we don't get easy answers, in life, I think that may be what the movie was trying to say, Morgan Freeman's not going to show up to tell you if it's right for her to hold onto her faith at the end or w/e

*shits on 35mm*
well if you don't get it by now you never will heh

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Moridin920 posted:

I never saw Alien(s) and I still didn't like it

I don't like movies where the characters do totally idiotic things to move the plot along

cool robot though

Also all the stuff people said was stupid is really only stupid in hindsight. If those guys had flown back to earth with the spacworm in a jar and got a nobel prize or w/e who'd be stupid then???

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

unlimited shrimp posted:

*shits on 35mm*
well if you don't get it by now you never will heh

hmmm yes what were they thinking putting this ugly turd before us, a travesty of cinema

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

naem posted:

No way, that doesn't make sense. Should a white actor play Malcolm x?

Yes, but they should change the name of film to "Connor X" and now it's a buddy movie about waking up from the biggest frat party of the year and having blacked out so hard you forgot your last name.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

Also all the stuff people said was stupid is really only stupid in hindsight. If those guys had flown back to earth with the spacworm in a jar and got a nobel prize or w/e who'd be stupid then???

nah I'm talking about poo poo like those two dudes that were super freaked out and scared but decided gently caress it let's just camp next to this weirdo alien goo stuff that may or may not be biologically dangerous or toxic to us YOLO

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Moridin920 posted:

nah I'm talking about poo poo like those two dudes that were super freaked out and scared but decided gently caress it let's just camp next to this weirdo alien goo stuff that may or may not be biologically dangerous or toxic to us YOLO

They would have frozen to death or been torn apart by the wind or w/e if they'd gone outside they didn't have a choice

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

hmmm yes what were they thinking putting this ugly turd before us, a travesty of cinema

cool Halo screenshot but this is the Prometheus thtead also Pacific rim

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

only thing that really bothered me was the bio scientist just loving approaching a loving deadly looking sort of goo animal that lives in a scary rear end tomb cave, and treating it like a puppy and then predictably getting his rear end loving beat

not even Steve loving Irwin would've done that

What a loving stupid and unrealistic move in a movie full of lovely unrealistic stuff, that was the only thing that really made me check out

"Yeah the script says something's gotta happen here, let's ignore how any human would react"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Actually Steve Irwin did exactly that kinda thing all the time and if you'll notice, eventually, he died

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harime Nui posted:

They would have frozen to death or been torn apart by the wind or w/e if they'd gone outside they didn't have a choice

sounds like they should have planned their first excursion into an alien structure on a strange planet a little more carefully then

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Moridin920 posted:

sounds like they should have planned their first excursion into an alien structure on a strange planet a little more carefully then

nah you see they only had a few hours to check out the place, it was very urgent because... I don't know

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Moridin920 posted:

You don't sign up for expeditions to the limits of human knowledge without being a little crazy.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

i want idris elba to be in every movie

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
The biggest thing that bugged me about Prometheus was the size of the Space Jockeys/Engineers. I know Scott basically said that he had to shrink them down in size so they would be more film-able in action scenes, but in the Original ALIEN, the Space Jockey was big. Standing upright it would have been like 15 feet tall. So are the Engineers in Prometheus the same species? An off-shoot species? Copying the big Space Jockeys look and tech?

If they are the same species, it would be like if you had Darth Vader his original height in Star Wars, then in Empire he was the same height as Luke with no explanation.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
The funny bit is the lovely spelling.

LOL WAFFLE HOUSE!!!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The ship and the Engineers we see may come from as much as 2,000 years before the one we saw on LV-426. Could be they started pumping bovine growth hormone into the butts of their pilots for the trip. :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Somebody showed me a video with an extended version where they left in a bromance sub plot, where those two guys were daring each other and one upping each other and that's why they acted like idiots.

But they cut that out with no explaintion in the theater because, reasons

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Conversely and, contrariwise, Pacific Rim, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

both were dumb gay baby movies made by directors who had previously created much more important contributions to cinema

welp im outta here

*plays a flute, spaceship flies off*

• Locked thread