Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im cute
Sep 21, 2009

On the other hand, Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

hmmm yes what were they thinking putting this ugly turd before us, a travesty of cinema

planet of the dicks

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
hey did you notice that one wing of the alien spacecraft looks like..... a boner??

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

paco650 posted:

On the other hand, Dredd.

Basically a terrible rip off of Die Hard, not set on Christmas.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hobohemian posted:

The art of war isn't that long though, why is that book so big?

Probably some illustrated version with size 25 font in each page

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Neukoln19 posted:

Fwiw they didn't laugh

noo

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Don Tacorleone posted:

Probably some illustrated version with size 25 font in each page

Man it would be so funny if I bought an entire library of classics rewritten in 24 font with diagrams for retards and I set it all out on the shelves in my parlor like some fancy dan college dude

They all pick up the Illiad and it's like SING, O MUSE, OF THE WRATH OF ACHILLES and in subscript beneath (This is the author's opening address, the Muse is not a character in the story)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Pacific rim:

had an interesting premise but at the end of the day was another hollywood blockbuster with a predictable storyline and underwhelming CGI effects

Prometheus:

Could have been spectacular but since they made it as a "this could have a sequel, but we're not sure" film rather than going balls-to-the-wall "it is a standalone" vs "it will have a sequel" film, it didn't live up to its potential

also this thread is loving horrible so

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you're like under 40 years old I'm honestly not sure how you don't like Pacific Rim. I mean yeah the flow is weird and you might not like the protagonist and none of it makes sense but it's just a silly enjoyable movie with a lot of robots punching monsters

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

unlimited shrimp posted:

fro Harime Nui's sake ITT

i never watdched pacific rim but prometheus was a let down except if you never saw alien(s) then it was good

wrong, ive never seen aliens (sue me) and didnt even know that movie was related to them. if you dont know that, that movie makes no sense at all

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
LOL at every fanboy that has no problems with the token Asian chick pulling the "THIS IS MY SUPER ANIMU SWORD TO AVENGE THE FALLEN!!!!!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

i think he should be james bond IMO

I think not nearly enough white characters have been made black because seriously, who can think up a good black character?

Todd McFarlaine, but he IS Canadian.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
evangelion had characters in it and to a one they were all obnoxious and detestable

shut the gently caress up and hit a monster in the face, imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Prometheus would have been a pretty great movie if they:

1. Made the crew of the ship basically competent at what they were there to do
2. And either replaced/explained better the self abortion and subsequent action scenes.

Pacific Rim was surprisingly boring for a monsters versus giant robots movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

paranoid randroid posted:

evangelion had characters in it and to a one they were all obnoxious and detestable

shut the gently caress up and hit a monster in the face, imo

But if that's your movie then, IMO, you should film the hitting well, and not, you know, ultra-closeup badly lit ugly poo poo

e: Pacific Rim was boring specifically because

1) the action had no interesting characters to give it stakes

2) the action was badly shot and edited and thus, not interesting on its own

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 2, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
People are hard on Prometheus because it is such a well-executed, well paced and good looking film, they expect it to be some kind of deep anal-cyst of religion or whatever and overthink what is actually a really well done space monster movie.

naem
May 29, 2011

Harime Nui posted:

People are hard on Prometheus because it is such a well-executed, well paced and good looking film, they expect it to be some kind of deep anal-cyst of religion or whatever and overthink what is actually a really well done space monster movie.

I liked the poRt where the actresses were hot

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I'm the second chinese guy from pacific rim. i am so tired of being sandwiched between #1's rear end and #3's crotch HALP.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Idris Elba

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Prometheus would have made more sense if it didn't try to be an Alien prequel and instead stood on its own legs. But it tries to be an Alien prequel first and its own film second. When you stop and think about how the movie links up to the Alien films, you realize it doesn't and it's a lovely attempt to cash in on nostalgia for an old film.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Why did they run in a straight line when they were fleeing the rolling spaceship of death? Move to the left or right you loving morons, you can't outrun it going forward in the same direction it is.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Oh no. What if somone messes up the sacred aliens universe with a crappy film.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hobohemian posted:

Why did they run in a straight line when they were fleeing the rolling spaceship of death? Move to the left or right you loving morons, you can't outrun it going forward in the same direction it is.

the one lady is a robot that's all her programming was capable of

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
or maybe she wasn't a robot, idk

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
hmm what if everyone on that ship was actually a robot??:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Pacific Rim is a poor man's Evangelion.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
pac rim was really cool in theatres,

it was basically a modern-day independence day that didn't take itself too seriously. but it still had some really stupid things. like why wait one by one and get smashed by loving monsters, or wait until the last second to pull out the sword. just bring that out and start chopping things, don't wait till you're almost dead??

prometheus was like that, but took itself even more seriously and 100x dumber things like that

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Christoff posted:

If you're like under 40 years old I'm honestly not sure how you don't like Pacific Rim. I mean yeah the flow is weird and you might not like the protagonist and none of it makes sense but it's just a silly enjoyable movie with a lot of robots punching monsters

It's fascist.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Oh yeah, I forgot about the wall slaves. Why the gently caress would they even put that in there?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hobohemian posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the wall slaves. Why the gently caress would they even put that in there?

struck me as startlingly perfect realism for a mostly silly movie about robutts punching aliens. Shitloads of refugees all over the planet + humanity panicking and making GBS threads a brick = useless wall built by indentured labor.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Nathilus posted:

struck me as startlingly perfect realism for a mostly silly movie about robutts punching aliens. Shitloads of refugees all over the planet + humanity panicking and making GBS threads a brick = useless wall built by indentured labor.

Exactly, which is why it was so loving stupid for a movie with robots fighting dinosaurs.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hobohemian posted:

Exactly, which is why it was so loving stupid for a movie with robots fighting dinosaurs.

well its not like they wasted much time on it. The wall was pretty much just there to fill the narrative gap of "what are the retard politicians doing instead of supporting the punchy robot program" and the protag just works it to do the "off being a grizzled badass somewhere" thing.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Rhopunzel posted:

everyone i know who didn't like it either were like "omg thats so unrealistic" or expected some profound poo poo from a movie exclusively about robots punching aliens in the face

Seriously, that movie made only one promise and then delivered on that promise. The complaint that it lacked plot completely ignores the point of the movie, which was that GDT convinced a Hollywood studio to give him money to make scenes like these:

And it delivered with a GDT promise of making Ron Perlman awesome:

Sure there were some problems with the human side of the plot and could have used more robot fights, but it didn't go all Godzilla. And it wasn't meant to be intellectually stimulating; it was literally a kid's movie. Here's what GTD said about Pacific Rim:

“This is not a super-brooding, super-dark, cynical summer movie. I wanted very much to do a movie that is aiming for a young audience. Adults can be, God willing, entertained by the big, beautiful, sophisticated visuals and the action and all that, but my real hope is that this movie allows for a new generation of kaiju and robot kids that fall in love with giant monsters.”

:laffo: Plot was never the point.

On the other hand, Prometheus was a piece of pseudo-intellectual poo poo that confirmed Scott lost his touch for good sci-fi and is better off sticking to easy things like criminals and warriors.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pacific rim had lovely fights. Therefore it was a mediocre movie.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
If there was a flaw in Pacific Rim, and I'm not saying there is, but if there had to be, it would be that we never got to see the Soviet Punchbot go fully hog wild and just murderpunch the poo poo out of a million dudes.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

ANAmal.net posted:

If there was a flaw in Pacific Rim, and I'm not saying there is, but if there had to be, it would be that we never got to see the Soviet Punchbot go fully hog wild and just murderpunch the poo poo out of a million dudes.

that bot was literally everyones favorite and it was a real disservice that its only fight scene consisted of it getting its rear end handed to it

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
aren't these films basically designed to stimulate the lizard part of you're psyche anyway?like Big Thing, Loud Noise, Over There etc?why not just enjoy them for that?you can't really expect genre fiction to tell a nuanced story most of the time so it seems weird to complain about this stuff instead of enjoying the occasional gem.also don't get how one bad movie can 'ruin' a series.can't you just ignore it, or imagine a more fitting story?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i remember reading a post by some guy on the internet who was crushed that this movie didn't do too well, because if it had, "it could've been the next star wars"

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
There's a scene in Prometheus where they reanimate a severed head and then it explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you liked Pacific Rim you like Animes.

Also "Rim" lol.

• Locked thread