Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Blue Train posted:

I thought he didn't finish it not that he didn't read it at all

either way the movie is much better and you are correct

The movie was well into development before the studio realized they could tack the book on. He was asked to read it by the studio and to incorporate that into rewrites but he gave up a couple chapters in and just changed character names.

I've read that The Iron Dream/Lord of the Swastika was the main inspiration for the film, but I'm not sure that that's just speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

CaptainQuirk posted:

The moment when Neil Patrick Harris turned gay:

hw'as touching a giant vagina and he's like "no... this life is not for me..."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I know vaginas have more eyes, but we're pretending here k

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I thought he didn't finish it not that he didn't read it at all

either way the movie is much better and you are correct

Yeah he only read a few chapters before giving it up since he found the book to be both boring and depressing.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
the sequels are better

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The early Heinlein biographer and critic Alexei Panshin, in his 1968 biography Heinlein in Dimension, took note of a controversial theme: "The romantic situation in this story is a very interesting, very odd one: it is nothing less than a mutual sexual interest between an engineer of thirty and a girl of twelve ('adorable' is Heinlein's word for her), that culminates in marriage after some hop-scotching around in time to adjust their ages a bit."[3] The novel "worried and bothered" John W. Campbell, who said "Bob can write a better story, with one hand tied behind him, than most people in the field can do with both hands. But Jesus, I wish that son of a gun would take that other hand out of his pocket."[4]

Lmao, nigga got toasted.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

I'd watch the poo poo out of this

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of this

everyone can agree that Clancy Browns owns.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Clancy Brown was my favorite actor in both Starship Troopers and Shawshank Redemption.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
nph was in shawshank right?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stoic Commie posted:

nph was in shawshank right?

leader of the queens

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
you mean the sisters? you didn't even watch it did you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stoic Commie posted:

you mean the sisters? you didn't even watch it did you

its been over a decade man

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
since you watched it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yep just remember the guard crippled dude after Andy started doing they taxes and such

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

oldpainless posted:

Clancy Brown was my favorite actor in both Starship Troopers and Shawshank Redemption.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I can be a friend to you...

Korthal
May 26, 2011

More like Fartshit Poopers

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Korthal posted:

More like Fartshit Poopers

Nog
May 15, 2006

i unironically liked the book a lot and also unironically agree that not every idiot who turns 18 should get to vote automatically

perhaps a system where only the landed gentry get to vote? just a thought

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nog posted:

i unironically liked the book a lot and also unironically agree that not every idiot who turns 18 should get to vote automatically

hm yes maybe provide job creators extra votes for their employees

maybe 3/5 for each one?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Would you like to know more?

if you watch the movie you get to know more

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwilCs4Jqg

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I like how it works as both a dumb over the top action movie, and as a fairly smart parody of fascist wartime propaganda. They just don't make action movies this awesome these days.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Nog posted:

Corporal Punishment is incredibly effective! It worked wonders on me!! *is a gigantic coward, lashes out constantly, can't handle complicated adult emotions.*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I like how it works as both a dumb over the top action movie, and as a fairly smart parody of fascist wartime propaganda. They just don't make action movies this awesome these days.

it's a great satire of military worship and blind patriotism too.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I recorded this last night. Looking forward to it.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

etalian posted:

From what I understand, Paul Verhoeven read part of the book, found all of the fascist/militarist/jingoist stuff depressing, and tossed it aside and decided to make a parody of it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Starship Trooper costumes and sets also got reused in Serenity as a cost cutting measure.

Or maybe the Alliance in Firefly is just the galactic version of the Starship Troopers government, which expanded after wiping out the bugs in a genocidal military campaign.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Dick Fagballzson posted:

From what I understand, Paul Verhoeven read part of the book, found all of the fascist/militarist/jingoist stuff depressing, and tossed it aside and decided to make a parody of it.

He can never be forgiven for leaving out the cool mech suits. Instead we got "starship" troopers wearing arena football uniforms.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

etalian posted:

The Starship Trooper costumes and sets also got reused in Serenity as a cost cutting measure.

Or maybe the Alliance in Firefly is just the galactic version of the Starship Troopers government, which expanded after wiping out the bugs in a genocidal military campaign.

Firefly is unironically about how the postbellum south was unfairly oppressed by the big mean north who were basically Nazis if you think about it for believing in things like industry and not enslaving people.

Makes you think.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

Firefly is unironically about how the postbellum south was unfairly oppressed by the big mean north who were basically Nazis if you think about it for believing in things like industry and not enslaving people.

Makes you think.

And here I was thinking it was fiction

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Makes you think.

The Alliance did nothing wrong

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Like Gul Dukat they will be vindicated by autists in the long run.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I don't think it's dark or moody enough for modern sensibilities

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What really gets me about this movie now is that it's pre 9/11 but it predicted the Bush years so well. I guess human folly is a historic constant and nothing has ever or will ever change.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

etalian posted:

is it really blind patriotism when giant bugs are trying to eat u

i think its ok to be patriotic in that situation

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Makes you think.

It's funny, because Whedon cites The Killer Angels as a strong influence, but if anything that's a book that's a serious backlash against this "Lost Cause" revisionism that Firefly instead portrays.

Also a great book, strongly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The early Heinlein biographer and critic Alexei Panshin, in his 1968 biography Heinlein in Dimension, took note of a controversial theme: "The romantic situation in this story is a very interesting, very odd one: it is nothing less than a mutual sexual interest between an engineer of thirty and a girl of twelve ('adorable' is Heinlein's word for her), that culminates in marriage after some hop-scotching around in time to adjust their ages a bit."[3] The novel "worried and bothered" John W. Campbell, who said "Bob can write a better story, with one hand tied behind him, than most people in the field can do with both hands. But Jesus, I wish that son of a gun would take that other hand out of his pocket."[4]

lmbo

dude was a perv and a troll who would make his author insert defend, gently caress, anything. fascism, incest, pedophilia, rape.

• Locked thread