Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

And lo, the future year 2015 is upon us. And yet some people still get pissed off at elfgames. Let's do what we can to make 2015 better than 2014.

What do you want to do this year, gaming-wise? Personally, I've a couple of game ideas I need to get published, and I should get around to running more games, especially at cons. If you're a lurker, tell us what would make you post more in this ~future time~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
This year I am hoping to go to Mayfaircon and Gencon. I haven't gone for 14 years!

I am also hoping to finish getting a play test kit together for a game I've been working on for the past few months. Hope to make a lot of headway this year. We will see.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Keep an eye on your sports almanacs this year.

I have never seen the Back to the Future movies and have just made it my resolution to do so.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Survive to 2016 without letting my health collapse even worse. Maybe try actually running a game like I keep saying I will.

Make a character that isn't a bishonen

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

If I'm lucky I'll find someone to play Remnants with!

Also maybe finish up the 3 or 4 half done Dungeon World compendium classes I have laying around, though I don't think anyone in the DW thread really pays attention to those so I might not bother posting them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also in gaming I hope not to gently caress up Zenith Academy.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Happy New Year, you lovable jerks.

In 2015, I hope to run my first successful online game and maybe publish my first scenario. Here's hoping!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

And lo, the future year 2015 is upon us. And yet some people still get pissed off at elfgames. Let's do what we can to make 2015 better than 2014.

What do you want to do this year, gaming-wise? Personally, I've a couple of game ideas I need to get published, and I should get around to running more games, especially at cons. If you're a lurker, tell us what would make you post more in this ~future time~.

I'm going to work hard this year and finish my probably ill-advised PbtA styled old school styled magical girl RPG.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

This year I want to keep running my PBP game, which may have the most understanding player group ever. (Seriously, you guys rock!) Also this year, I hope to elfgames more with my boyfriend, and reconcile our wholly different playstyles, so we can do more than boardgames!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I'm hoping to run a game of Monsterhearts online with friends. I don't have the best of luck with actually getting to run or play in games though, so we'll see how things go.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm hoping to find a new RPG group to play with since my old one broke up a few months back. Probably online since the only thing that gets played locally is lousy Pathfinder modules.

Maybe even get to finally play a PbtA game, maybe even one of the games I kickstarted.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I hope to get to play rather than GM a bit more this year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ETTIN!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I want to run Dungeon World, and 13th Age, and something not-fantasy eventually. I don't know if I have the storytelling jones to do horror/Cthulu-type stuff, but at least something modern like a heist game or spy-game or WW2.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Get cracking

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

At least they're good movies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm resolving to get my health in check. I don't just mean losing weight, but some other poo poo too.

Also, I'm resolving to get more stuff done and not end this year glad that it's over.

Edit: Waffleman, you never saw the Back to the Future movies? That should be illegal. Dude, go watch them. Now.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

If you mess up, you can just go back in time and tell your past self to watch the films! Flawless plan! Of course, then we have to consider if you work on BTTF time travel rules or DBZ rules...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why not Bill&Ted rules?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I'm going to participate in a role-playing game without petering out three months in, and get down to the bottom of the neuroses that caused my latest hiatus.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FewtureMD posted:

If you mess up, you can just go back in time and tell your past self to watch the films! Flawless plan! Of course, then we have to consider if you work on BTTF time travel rules or DBZ rules...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why not Bill&Ted rules?

Retrocausality rules :getin:

Ettin, after Waffleman watches the Back to the Future movies you should threaten to ban him unless he runs a game of Retrocausality so he can demonstrate the important lessons he learned.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kai Tave posted:

Retrocausality rules :getin:

Ettin, after Waffleman watches the Back to the Future movies you should threaten to ban him unless he runs a game of Retrocausality so he can demonstrate the important lessons he learned.

That messing around with time travel is a good way to leave people friendless and alone for their entire lives?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I ordered the trilogy DVD set and it should be waiting for me when I get back to school on Sunday, so next weekend will probably be a movie marathon.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bill&Ted rules

San Dimas football rules

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

My New Years resolution is to finish my Flames of War russians in time for the 70th anniversary of the fall of Berlin. I just need to paint all the non-tanks!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

That messing around with time travel is a good way to leave people friendless and alone for their entire lives?

No, that time travel involves sweet cars and sometimes trains, it's like you learned nothing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Are we getting another resolutions thread? Pretty sure I made all of mine this year. Quit smoking for good and managed to save some money.

Just had a buddy over and made tentative plans for GenCon 2015. Board game room here I come.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I have a scifi pbta game I've been working on for awhile, I have it in pre alpha and am teaching myself how to do everything.

It's fun and frustrating and cool.
Shoutout to madadric "misfits and spaceships" yo!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Happy New Year TG! This year, I resolve to play more games and to write and read more about things that interest me rather than focus on tired badness.

In the spirit of that...

I just watched Big Trouble in Little China, and while I'm sure this isn't exactly an original sentiment, the movie represents the perfect form of what D&D is trying to be. Wang is the Fighter. Jack is the Rogue. Egg is the Wizard. However, unlike a lot of D&D, they all have equal power in influencing the narrative. It's not like Egg is stopping time while Wang just stands around slapping one guy at a time. Well, maybe Wang has more influence, since he is the Hero, and Jack kind of wandered in from another movie. But they all use their expertise and play their roles. Jack uses his reflexes and wit to help win the day, shows an incredible skill at recovering from gently caress ups, and can even turn his blundering to his advantage. Wang basically rules the house, beats the poo poo out of everybody and uses his physical prowess to influence the narrative of the story. He does crazy martial arts to these supernatural freaks and just beats them by being that good. Egg Knows poo poo™ and blows dudes up with his powers, and gets into a special effects wizard duel. Most of the film is a dungeon crawl in a ghost lich's lair, where halfway through the party retreats to rest and resupply and comes back in greater force, with better equipment and henchmen. It's nuts how Big Trouble maps to a really good D&D game. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

It's inspired me to look into making some modular retroclone-y type rules where instead of Fighters just having attack mode, Fighters specifically get narrative abilities to do poo poo. Sort of like the Mighty Deeds of Arms mechanic from Dungeon Crawl Classics, but with a bit more player agency hardwired in. Basically codify Fighter being for people who like making poo poo up and Wizard for those who like picking from lists of specific powers. Maybe that's kind of reinventing the wheel but I dunno, seems worthwhile to think about.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 1, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
What to do in the new year? I might just join a third irl game group, because two isn't enough. I was at a New Years party tonight and I swear half the people there were into RPGs. And it seems like one group might be in need of another person who is experienced with 3.5 D&D. 3.5 isn't the top of my list of games to play, but I figure it would be fun anyways.

In online matters, I hope to keep my two GURPS games going and start something else up after my KAMB game is over.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

DocBubonic posted:

What to do in the new year? I might just join a third irl game group, because two isn't enough. I was at a New Years party tonight and I swear half the people there were into RPGs. And it seems like one group might be in need of another person who is experienced with 3.5 D&D. 3.5 isn't the top of my list of games to play, but I figure it would be fun anyways.

In online matters, I hope to keep my two GURPS games going and start something else up after my KAMB game is over.

While an RPG player's mantra should indeed be "No Gaming is Better Than Bad Gaming" don't let mechanical quibbles get in the way of gaming that you know will be fun. That being said, don't be afraid to bow out if things aren't gelling for specifically mechanical reasons - I was having fun running a Pathfinder game last year because of the players and the situations, (and yes I mean 2014!) but I had to kill it because I just couldn't take the mechanics anymore and we couldn't agree on what to switch to. Unfortunate, but better that the game be put to pasture instead of becoming something we all resented.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Last year (that is, yesterday) I bought myself the Bolt Action rulebook. I guess this year I'm going to play it. Just need to settle on two armies to buy.

To :hitler:, or not to :hitler:, that is the question.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
My resolutions are mostly non-hobby related (go to school, figure out health insurance, find a job, generally improve my standing in life and not be a NEET), but I do plan to chew through my backlog of miniatures and hopefully finish up my Dark Angels army, in terms of "what I have already."

Try and play more games, too. I haven't played any non-boardgame tabletop stuff in 6 months.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This year my plans are to:

1) Play/run more diverse games. I run 13th Age for organized play every week, and and have a Fate game coming up, but I'd like to delve deeper into the well of Fate and PbtA games.

2) Actually finish writing something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Another plan is if Zenith Academy works out, to try to put something together for the setting. I've got a lot of ideas about Eccentric.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

DigitalRaven posted:

I want to play in/run 13th Age, Dungeon World, Deadlands Reloaded, Spears of the Dawn, Eclipse Phase, and Dungeon Crawl Classics at the very least.

Also, these past two months I decided to get wild and try my hand at writing two much larger sourcebooks for Quasar Knight Enterprises. For the time being I'm sticking to 2 projects, but neither are like the small "new class/feats/races/etc" Pathfinder books I already made. One's a campaign setting, the other an adventure path.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Lightning Lord posted:

While an RPG player's mantra should indeed be "No Gaming is Better Than Bad Gaming" don't let mechanical quibbles get in the way of gaming that you know will be fun.

I'm going to choose to interpret this as "There is no better gaming than bad gaming." You heard Lightning Lord, everyone, play the worst games you can find.

Finally, Conspiracy X 1.0, finally.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 1, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You heard Lightning Lord, everyone, play the worst games you can find.

The day has come for the Pride of my Collection!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
New Years Resolution: Successfully run my "Super Hero Reality Show" RPG campaign with my group.

Real Resolution: Try not to make a character with white hair next time I am a player character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You heard Lightning Lord, everyone, play the worst games you can find.

:getin:

fake edit: The best accidental lens reflection ever.

• Locked thread