Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Hey you, get your drat healing surges off of her."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"We can now play D&D while we eat dinner!"

"Do you have D&D, Marty?"

"Yeah, I have 4e."

"Come on, there is no 4e."

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
"Now, if my calculations are correct, when this kobold hits level 12, you're going to see some serious poo poo."

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

"Now, if my calculations are correct, when this kobold hits level 12, you're going to see some serious poo poo."

Lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If the GM sees my character sheet in your handwriting, he's gonna kick me out of the game!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Since you're new here, I'm gonna cut you a break today. So why don't you make like a treant and get outta here?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Since you're new here, I'm gonna cut you a break today. So why don't you make like a treant and get outta here?

And we have a winner.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm sorry, Ettin, but I saw the movie, so I have immunity.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

And we have a winner.

I thought of that but was like "no way am I posting that, it's awful". :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought of that but was like "no way am I posting that, it's awful". :colbert:

And that's why you're not a winner.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

And that's why you're not a winner.

I'm surprisingly cool with this.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Nobody...calls me...an Owlbear.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure that in 2015, story games are available in every corner drugstore, but in 1985, they're a little hard to come by.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
*Rolls 2d6 for Arcane Art and gets a 10+, the group stares uncomprehendingly*

"I, uh...I guess you're not ready for that yet...but uh...your kids are gonna love it."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Um...uh...

:supaburn: "Oh, my God. They found me. I don't know how, but they found me. Run for it, Marty!"

:confused: "Who? Who?"

:supaburn: "Who do you think?! THE GROGNARDS!"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I have no idea what's even going on right now :saddowns:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Wait, character gen is less complex than a differential equation? That's a baby's game!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
"What about all that talk about removing caster supremacy? The action economy?"

"Well, I figured, what the hell?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thief asks what the best way to get into the city undetected is. GM responds:
"Sneak, McFly!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The party Wizard casts a Knock spell on a locked door.
"Hello! Anybody home!?"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

NachtSieger posted:

I have no idea what's even going on right now :saddowns:

SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS NOT SEEN BTTF!!!!!!

(Points at NachSieger and screams an unearthly scream 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers style.)

EDIT For effect.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 12, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Yes, one of the kids from my RPG club came to me today telling me his parents had gotten him Myrskyn sankarit (a Finnish RPG aimed specifically at kids that's sold in pretty much all the toy stores in Finland) for his birthday. Supposedly he'd told his parents how much he'd enjoyed playing elfgames at my club and they thought he might like the game.

My plan to turn these kids into the next generation of Finnish RPG geeks is working perfectly. :getin:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading through HeroQuest on the suggestion of a few posters and the central conceit of a single global Difficulty Check that becomes more difficult as the players start scoring more successes and easier as they keep failing just sounds so brilliant that I wonder if anybody'd notice if I tried pulling it off in any other system.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ratpick posted:

Yes, one of the kids from my RPG club came to me today telling me his parents had gotten him Myrskyn sankarit (a Finnish RPG aimed specifically at kids that's sold in pretty much all the toy stores in Finland) for his birthday.

So I did a google search for it and turned up this picture:

Is that a weasel with a mustache? Tell me more about this game. :allears:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So I did a google search for it and turned up this picture:

Is that a weasel with a mustache? Tell me more about this game. :allears:

I'm not intimately familiar with the game and thus don't know what role the mustached weaselguy plays in the game, but here's a short synopsis: the game is pretty much a simple fantasy RPG aimed especially at kids. It's set in a fairy tale-like fantasy setting (which would explain the above dapper individual) where there's an evil empire and the players play members of a rebellion against the evil emperor.

The game was originally crowdfunded, and apparently there was another campaign to release it in English. If you're looking for more information on it, I suggest checking out the page for the IndieGoGo campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/age-of-the-tempest-roleplaying-for-kids-and-beginners

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hello, what's the cool new DnD-like out there? I'm getting a little weary of Dungeon World.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TurninTrix posted:

Hello, what's the cool new DnD-like out there? I'm getting a little weary of Dungeon World.

It most closely resembles 3.5, but with a lot less math thanks to the advantage/disadvantage (roll 2d20, take better/worst) replacing +X modifiers for most things. Caster supremacy is in full effect. Martials do not get cool things and the ones they do are kind of screwed by encounter powers being replaced with "per quick rest" powers since quick rests now take an hour. The math is pretty wonky, but number stays low. Combat is fast, but can get long at high levels. Save or dies are back. Rules are at an odd middle ground between abstract and exact.

All in all, it's ok, but just suffers a bit from a "been there, done that" perspective and not matching most goons (myself included) playstyle.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

All in all, it's ok, but just suffers a bit from a "been there, done that" perspective and not matching most goons (myself included) playstyle.

TurninTrix meant whatever D&D-like game is currently big, not the new edition of D&D, which I think everyone knows by now is a lovely failure.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Besides 13th Age (eh) and assorted retroclones if those are your bag, I don't think there've been any recent "like D&D but not" games lately. I suppose there's always Pathfinder Unchained to look forward to.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Torchbearer's amazing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just play Atomic Robo, but rename the modes Fighting-Person, Magic-User, Cleric and Thief. :getin:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I suppose there's always Pathfinder Unchained to look forward to.

What is Pathfinder Unchained, exactly? I don't know if it's just that title specifically, or just Paizo as a company, or the TRPG industry in general, but trying to find a "preview" of it has not been easy.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

When I want to scratch that D&D-like itch, I usually take a look at my Fantasy Craft PDFs, I rather like the system.

Spellbound's coming up soon, I'm pretty excited.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is Pathfinder Unchained, exactly? I don't know if it's just that title specifically, or just Paizo as a company, or the TRPG industry in general, but trying to find a "preview" of it has not been easy.
Pathfinder Unchained is basically Paizo deciding to make an Unearthed Arcana-like where they can further nerf non-casters into the ground and prop up the golden children of Pathfinder.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If low fantasy is your bag, I have a rule set for Fate that could do with some playtesting :v:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Siivola posted:

Just play Atomic Robo, but rename the modes Fighting-Person, Magic-User, Cleric and Thief. :getin:

Bluh, not feeling Fate either.

Just had a dumb idea of doing a DnD campaign set in superficially fantasy world that's actually a ruined worldship in space Arthur Clark'd with high-tech artifacts and nanotechnology for spells. Or Might and Magic, basically.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Honestly, I might go ask people in the Retroclone/Old-School D&D thread for some advice, because there are some legitimately interesting retro-hacks out there that do more than slavishly recreate OD&D down to the crappy art, there might be something there worth investigating.

NachtSieger posted:

When I want to scratch that D&D-like itch, I usually take a look at my Fantasy Craft PDFs, I rather like the system.

Spellbound's coming up soon, I'm pretty excited.

FantasyCraft is a very solid game, certainly much moreso than the D&D it's based on, but you have to really, really, really be in the market for "like 3.X, but better, but also approximately 1.5 times as fiddly and with interlocking parts and modifiers and flipping back and forth between chapters to figure out how it all fits together." The *Craft games are generally some of the better high-crunch third party implementations of d20, but they are definitely high crunch with all that entails. In an objective sense I dig things like the list of various hacks and mods that come pre baked-in so that you can select which ones you want to use and it gives you XP/action point modifiers for each of them, or SpyCraft's dramatic challenge systems that cover like a dozen different not-combat challenges with various types of cat-and-mouse interactions, but I can't ever see myself sitting down and really jonesing to play them.

They keep talking about releasing a new edition of SpyCraft that's more streamlined and less dense but given Crafty Games' glacial pace I'm expecting that to debut sometime in the 2030's.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 13, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

Bluh, not feeling Fate either.

Just had a dumb idea of doing a DnD campaign set in superficially fantasy world that's actually a ruined worldship in space Arthur Clark'd with high-tech artifacts and nanotechnology for spells. Or Might and Magic, basically.

This is a pretty awesome idea. If you're not averse to old-school games, run it with Labyrinth Lord. The art-free version is free and it's got a sister game called Mutant Future which is basically a Gamma World clone. You can easily run the campaign using Labyrinth Lord to give it a superficially fantasy appearance and then throw gadgets from Mutant Future as loot as "ancient artifacts."

poo poo, now I want to run this game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ratpick posted:

This is a pretty awesome idea. If you're not averse to old-school games, run it with Labyrinth Lord. The art-free version is free and it's got a sister game called Mutant Future which is basically a Gamma World clone. You can easily run the campaign using Labyrinth Lord to give it a superficially fantasy appearance and then throw gadgets from Mutant Future as loot as "ancient artifacts."

Make it a PBP and I'm down.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ratpick posted:

If you do run that, I'm game.

Gonna read these either way, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

If you do run that, I'm game.

Gonna read these either way, thanks!

I'll definitely consider it and if I do you're in (ditto Kai Tave) but truth be told I've got all kinds of poo poo going on IRL that would hinder my posting in a PbP actively. Once things normalize a bit I'll get back to you.

Edit: But yeah, dwarves and elves with laser guns and vibro axes is definitely my poo poo.

• Locked thread