Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

iPhone superiority

Till you get to hardware :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

cursedshitbox posted:

Till you get to hardware :smuggo:

Bah, you act like the battery in my phone should not have exploded after only nine months.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tusen Takk posted:

iPhone superiority

Nice fully functional bluetooth stack you got there sonny, pity if anything were to happen to it...

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Iphone for life homies... I like my apps like my women, virus free!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Iphone for life homies... I like my apps like my women, virus free! expensive, hideous, and with limited functionality!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lol if you honestly care that your mobile telephone has a quad core processessor and also lol if you're willing to use any android app

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A real compressor owns. Bitches.

I've got a Craftsman 25 gallon. Works well enough for me.

Tusen Takk posted:

Lol if you honestly care that your mobile telephone has a quad core processessor and also lol if you're willing to use any android app

Back off the superior product, mang.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 4, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know who'd use an iPhone?

HITLER.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Tusen Takk posted:

Says the guy that had to have 64-bit processors in his phone before there was any real need?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I've got a Craftsman 25 gallon. Works well enough for me.

I just got a 30 gallon belt driven unit. Being able to sand with air instead of electric is night and day. I knocked out a body panel that would have taken me at least 3 hours in around an hour with a DA sander.

Next on the list is a set of deep well impact sockets, a 3/8 impact gun and an air hammer. And a welder.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

You know who'd use an iPhone?

HITLER.

No, pretty sure Hitler would make Android the Volkstelefon OS of choice.

He'd then deliver a polemic against the filthy money grubbing Jews and homosexuals and their iPhones.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Regardless of OS I think we can all agree that most of the phones we buy should probably be better than they are for the price they cost. So I guess lol at us?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Regardless of OS I think we can all agree that most of the phones we buy should probably be better than they are for the price they cost. So I guess lol at us?

Huh, they keep telling me you (the market) keep clamoring for this poo poo. Go figure?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I miss before the iphone 6 came out and the blatant penis screen-size envy from Apple dudes.

"Heh, look at how big your screen is. :smug:"

I have a Galaxy S3 Mini and I hate it only because it's slow as gently caress. I probably need to do a factory reset but :effort:. I'm looking to upgrade to an S4 full size soon though. I have had an iPhone 4 in the past and it was ok too but I legit prefer Android OS.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have a windows phone from 2010 or 2011 and it works good still. Apple sucks because no torque and android crashes a lot on my tablet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even though I live in the general vicinity, I refuse to buy a 25 year old car that I am going to have to over night parts in from Japan. I'll stick to my flaming British piles. :colbert:

Same deal, different piles. It's local, but I've barely got the patience for Amazon and RockAuto. Besides, that price is a touch high for a car that's spent a decade in the land of Salt and Woe. I'd want a good look underneath.

I don't trust it, anyway. Who tries to hock a car at $13.5k with 'just' a little brake work to be done, and doesn't just fix it? Probably blew it the gently caress up trying to be clever and wants out from under before it starts to sound as bad as it is.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

I have a windows phone from 2010 or 2011 and it works good still. Apple sucks because no torque and android crashes a lot on my tablet.

Owning an iPhone really is like driving a Prius.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I regularly used Android, Winphone and iOS in the past year.

I really like the flexibility of Android but the pre-lollipop UI sucked, and all non-Nexus/Google/Silver distros of the OS suck balls with the bloatware that manufacturers shove in. Now that Nexus phones are priced so high, it's kind of dead to me.

Winphone was my favorite overall experience when it came to the OS itself. The ecosystem has no offerings for apps, but the interface is really thoughtful and well done. The text prediction and keyboard head and shoulders above the other two. Bing search and Bing maps really limit the experience. Nokia's hardware was really solid - durable, good camera, good battery.

iOS is meh. No control, you have to tap so many extra buttons and stuff to accomplish the same things you would quickly in Android or Winphone. I bought a iPhone 6 so I'd have something to develop for iOS 8 with. The stock keyboard sucks, but I guess you can replace them now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have yet to have any luck with any of the aftermarket keyboard apps on iphone. They all seem to lock up or pause the messenger app, or load the stock keyboard or other weird poo poo. Its a bummer, because Swype worked pretty well otherwise. Its a nuance product though, so it has to be really nice and also an unreliable piece of poo poo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So here's a question I'm afraid to take over to SH/SC because it sounds dumb as hell:
I'm using Chrome. When I open up an image heavy thread the page renders without images and then as they load, I completely lose my place as the page length changes but my position is referenced from the top of the page. This results in me trying to scroll down to keep my place, then getting pissed off at it and mashing the page down key until it's done loading and backtrack to whatever my last read post was. Is there some sort of plugin or tweak I can use to correct this behavior and make it hold my place?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have a Galaxy S4 with one of the super batteries on it. Its got its issues, but its an awesome little device

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tommychu posted:

So here's a question I'm afraid to take over to SH/SC because it sounds dumb as hell:
I'm using Chrome. When I open up an image heavy thread the page renders without images and then as they load, I completely lose my place as the page length changes but my position is referenced from the top of the page. This results in me trying to scroll down to keep my place, then getting pissed off at it and mashing the page down key until it's done loading and backtrack to whatever my last read post was. Is there some sort of plugin or tweak I can use to correct this behavior and make it hold my place?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions

"Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" Set this to yes.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

opengl128 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=editoptions

"Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" Set this to yes.

Yep, I knew this was a stupid question. Thanks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Brigdh posted:

Says the guy that had to have 64-bit processors in his phone before there was any real need?

So it's okay to have an overclocked quad core but it's not okay to have a 64bit processor? :what:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 4, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

So it's okay to have an over locked quad core but it's not okay to have a 64bit processor? :what:

But none of it matters because 90% of the software available on phone platforms is frivolous bullshit made up of lovely, lazy inefficient code that wouldn't run smoothly on $3k worth of desktop computer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

iPhone superiority

iPhones are misrebles pieces of poo poo. Anything BUT Apple in this house.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tommychu posted:

But none of it matters because 90% of the software available on phone platforms is frivolous bullshit made up of lovely, lazy inefficient code that wouldn't run smoothly on $3k worth of desktop computer.

Haha this is extremely true

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

So it's okay to have an over locked quad core but it's not okay to have a 64bit processor? :what:

Yes. Everyone knows octa core is the new crazy :)

Lets see, what can I say as an industry insider.

Core counts are driven by the SE Asia market (Japan/Korea). The market there really demands "N+1". Numbers always have to be going up, even though it really doesn't make a lot of sense. Its basically the modern version of the Ghz wars. You can tell your customer they are an idiot an attempt to educate them, but at the end of the day, the customer buys what they buy, even if its not logical.

India/China are driving the low end and crazy stuff like having 2+ SIMs, and an ever increasing compatibility with every known radio frequency.

Screen size is driven by the evolution of the phone from a phone to a PDA that is a replacement for any other computing device, and is more media driven. This tends to be a USA/Euro thing. The market wants a tablet that can play movies, and happens to make phone calls when needed.

On core counts, 2-4 cores is the sweet spot. 4 can be effectively used by most folks. 8 today is really just a lovely way of trying to optimize 4 for both power and performance because the ARM reference designs are limited in power management. Apple makes 2 work because they don't have crazy customers demanding phones with a specific core count, and Apple does a bunch of crazy stuff on the bus interconnect to make it work. Apple uses their ability to have (nearly) complete control to provide a rather good product that actually meets people's needs, and not marketing number BS. Mostly. Apple has a big case of Not Invented Here Syndrome, which can cause problems.

In the phone space, there is no point to 64-bit yet. Its all marketing. On the whole, you don't want 64-bit. Its slow, consumes more power, and eats up your storage space (on average, you can optimize and bring it to a compatible level as 32-bit, but that really isn't real world). Of course, 32-bit has addressing limitations, and 64-bit can be really handy for virtualization and helping the OS do its job.

64-bit will be necessary on a phone, but that time hasn't hit yet. However, Apple went and surprised the industry by adopting 64-bit before it was technically necessary, and started a marketing war because 64 > 32 on paper, but not in practice.

So yeah, as an Apple fan boy, I really don't see you having a leg to stand on by laughing at other manufacturers for having unnecessary core counts that the end user can't use/doesn't need when Apple did the same thing for screen resolution and 64-bit.

The whole industry is kinda hosed up, but its like Democracy - its broken but the alternatives are surprisingly worse.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't use android.

I use a big fuckoff brick made of aluminum, thats mostly waterproof, and takes killer rear end photos at night, gently caress apps.

OH. and it DOUBLES AS A MOTHERFUCKING HAMMER.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
CSB, can we just once skip referencing your penis in a thread? Yes, we know it's "big" :airquote:, but that doesn't mean it has to be the centerpiece to all conversations....

:thejoke:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

-31 with a windchill of -40 right now, 2 days ago it was +2 at 6pm.

gently caress this loving gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

-31 with a windchill of -40 right now, 2 days ago it was +2 at 6pm.

gently caress this loving gently caress.

Supposed to be one hell of a death orgy on the roads too.

I got to see one of my neighbors pull their Accord out of their garage, endlessly spin the tires while going nowhere trying to get up the hill to the main road, and then slowly fall back down the hill, nearly striking two parked cars and an oncoming Silverado whose winter driving strategy is "floor it, let the computer figure it out."

After that I just decided to stay home for the day.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
At least for me, the perfect combination is an Apple tablet and an Android phone. I prefer the Android phone because I can customize it. There's small things about iOS that bother me, mostly the keyboard. I really wish Swiftkey didn't suck so much for iOS. I have a Nexus 7 2012 that I have had for two years and I love it. Lollipop runs like rear end on it though. Comparatively, I inherited a iPad 3 that still runs pretty well. I should mention that I don't do anything heavy with a tablet, mostly listen to podcasts and watch Netflix. Last time I tried, my Nexus 7 wasn't supported for Prime Instant Video but I know it works for iPad.

At this point, I don't think iOS or Android suck anymore. It's all about personal preference.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

At least for me, the perfect combination is an Apple tablet and an Android phone.

Nailed it. I have a recent Galaxy tab pro, and it's best described as meh for anything past the forums. Though, to be fair, the ios8 WebKit issue with html5 is, IMO, inexcusable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mariooncrack posted:

I inherited a iPad 3 that still runs pretty well.

Are you sure it's a 3? We have a bunch of iPads at work and aside from the first gen (which didn't have enough RAM) the 3 is by far the worst one for performance now - so much so that they're all in a pile in the store room.

iPads 2s and 4s on the other hand still perform fine

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ssjonizuka posted:

Nailed it. I have a recent Galaxy tab pro, and it's best described as meh for anything past the forums. Though, to be fair, the ios8 WebKit issue with html5 is, IMO, inexcusable.

I've always felt Android worked comparative better on smaller tablets where the pretty much ripped from phone UI isn't such an issue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Supposed to be one hell of a death orgy on the roads too.

I got to see one of my neighbors pull their Accord out of their garage, endlessly spin the tires while going nowhere trying to get up the hill to the main road, and then slowly fall back down the hill, nearly striking two parked cars and an oncoming Silverado whose winter driving strategy is "floor it, let the computer figure it out."

After that I just decided to stay home for the day.

doesn't seem that bad here, but jesus tittyfucking christ is it cold. it's that perfect combination of super cold and super windy and super humid that makes it feel like the wind is ripping your skin off.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

dissss posted:

I've always felt Android worked comparative better on smaller tablets where the pretty much ripped from phone UI isn't such an issue.

That could certainly be part of it. My tab is the larger one (12"?) There are just some behaviors that irk me. I tend to browse reddit lazily when not on the forums, so the tendency for gifs to be full screen (and then some) is a major annoyance. It also has some memory leaks somewhere - network traffic just gets bogged down and responses are slow if it's been on for a week plus. And the chrome browser seems gimpy at best even on a "high power" tablet like this. I know it's not a full x86/64 architecture, but for it to be so unpolished is a let down.

I do love the screen and dual speakers. They did that right. Haven't found any worthwhile games yet, though I haven't really looked all that actively.

And to your earlier point, ios8 is a dog on my 3. Haven't upgraded my air v1 yet (see ios8 complaint), and air v2 and minis don't see as much heavy usage, but nothing stands out. They "just work"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

dissss posted:

Are you sure it's a 3? We have a bunch of iPads at work and aside from the first gen (which didn't have enough RAM) the 3 is by far the worst one for performance now - so much so that they're all in a pile in the store room.

iPads 2s and 4s on the other hand still perform fine

Pretty sure. I bought it for my dad a few years back because I couldn't afford an iPad 4 at the time.

Edit: To be fair, I used it to browse the forums and surf Netflix, not much else.

ssjonizuka posted:

In my limited experience I've found that Android tablets don't age all that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We've got an Asus Transformer. Still does awesome 3 years later, still keeps us happy and is fairly fun.

But I have a Surface Pro, and since its a full laptop, I tend to use it more.

• Locked thread