Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Fuuuuuck. Looked up from playing Doom and realized it's past 4 in the morning.

id Software might only be able to make one gametype these days, but drat if they aren't good at it.

Found a couple Easter eggs.

Commander Keen! But no dopefish yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

at the date posted:

How is it compared to the first new Wolfenstein?

It's great, but the gameplay doesn't really compare to new Wolfenstein.

Where the Wolf reboot offered options to go stealthy or noisy, Doom is loud all the time. Also, as noted by HCT, the weapon upgrades are gee-whiz but don't usually impact gameplay.

Both reboots are nicely self-aware, though. Doom 4 starts with a gentle reminder to RIP AND TEAR, and the UAC comes across as the world's solar system's worst employer. Unlike Wolf, Doom don't waste any time on bullshit "romance" or "characterization." You're just in it to kill demons. You're in combat within the first ten seconds of gameplay, before you leave the first room. It also ditches Doom 3's over-reliance on horror movie jump scares and ominous music. This is classic Doom rampaging.

I kinda miss Doom 3's interactive computer terminals, though. Those were so far ahead of their time.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

More on Doom vs. Wolf.

In the new Wolfenstein, any time you go through a locked door that requires you to muscle it open, you just know somebody on the other side is going to kick your rear end in a cutscene and there's nothing you can do about it. Pleasantly surprised it hasn't happened yet in Doom.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I don't generally care about Steam achievements, but Doom has IDDQD and IDKFA. Well loving done, id.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

Can we talk about how good Doom is

That loving cyberdemon fakeout. You know the one.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Teflon Don posted:

cyberdemon was easy as gently caress, pinkies are the most annoying by far

Dodge and shoot em in the back. Easy peasy.

Cyberdemon was my own fault. I burned through all my BFG ammo to kill him the first time, because why not. Then he got back up. :v:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of the first contact messages are pretty good. Fanatic Individualist + Materialist is my favorite so far:

Goddamn. God drat. loving amazing. I'm usually no good at isometric strategy games, but I guess now I have no choice.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I dont think I've found a side scrolling shooter that I liked more than the SNES version of UN Squadron (last time I mentioned this people bought avatars for themselves and for the account I was using "Devildogoooooorah")

someone tell me a game that is exactly like that game please?? Branching levels, buying plane upgrades and so on.

Does UN Squadron hold up all these years later? Never played it back in the day, but I loved the 194X series.

Speaking of flight games, I maintain that Ace Combat 6 is the best action flight sim ever made.

Come at me.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

So, for those of us who don't follow gamemakers' investment meetings, what exactly is GW doing? Sounds like they're just making more games and shifting focus away from their less profitable franchises. Hardly shocking behavior for a company, unless I'm missing something.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Bolow posted:

I played way too much QWTF/TFC to ever enjoy TF2 fully. I always thought the crits were obnoxious and the instant they added unlockable weapons I uninstalled the game and haven't touched it since.

For real, TFC was the best Half Life mod, and that's high praise.

I thought TF2 was okay in 07, but maybe I've just got rose-colored glasses. I stopped playing in 08 and finally reinstalled a couple months back. Holy poo poo. I hadn't been following the game development, so the goddamn hats and unlockables took me by surprise. What a loving weird player base. F2P ruined the game.

Anybody here play the new Homefront? I want to like it. I really do. Every once in a while it has a good idea, but the AI and scripting is just so terrible. And in the year 2016, why the hell can't I pick up weapons off the ground, instead of finding a shop and buying a rifle?

Goddamn Norks.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

So, retardedly simple question: why would anybody give a poo poo if a game that is already on their console of choice is released on another one?

Like, I only play PC games, and I like XCOM 2, but why should I possibly give a poo poo that it's being released for consoles? That just means more people get to play it.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Until now, I've purposefully avoided any idiot who talks about "gamer culture" so I am genuinely ignorant.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I soldiered through the first four or five areas until it became interesting. The story's pretty decent, but not on the level of FO:NV or Alpha Protocol. Nostalgia can only take me so far; that style of RPG died out for a reason. In the year 2016, for 60 bucks, I'd like something fully voiced, with actual cutscenes, and with more gameplay than constant hack and slash.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mustang posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone care about their steam level? I think I'm like lvl 10 and I don't even know how I managed that.

I'm pretty sure there's an upper limit for your Steam friends list, and raising your level also raises your friend list cap. I can't imagine a gamer willing to burn thousands of dollars on Steam would have the social skills to actually need a big friends list, though.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

No Man's Sky was made by a handful of guys with a cool concept, and it's about to hit Steam.

Even as a disappointment, it's still more than the Star Citizen team could manage with more than $110M.

I'll buy it on sale. NMS, not SC, obviously.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mike-o posted:

I've been playing skyrim again, gonna finally beat it and then go back and finally beat oblivion and play morrowind, maybe the older elder scrolls too. You know how some of you dorks are all into warhammer 40k and poo poo? I loving love all the crazy elder scrolls lore and the nutso poo poo Michael Kirkbride wrote for morrowind. I read all the loving books and junk and know way too much about all that poo poo. It's me, I'm the uber dork :negative:

The Elder Scrolls mythology is nuts, and I'm annoyed that we see less and less of it with each passing game. It's a shame Bethesda doesn't keep legit crazy writers on their staff these days.

If you're playing Oblivion on PC, do yourself a favor and download a graphics mod to make it look pretty again, and maybe a leveling mod so that enemies aren't always pushovers 2 levels below you.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul does both. In addition to better graphics, it sets most NPCs to static levels, so there are dungeons you straight up can't survive until you're decently high level.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

I have been naming systems after coast guard dogs and all creatures a variation of dogge like "Punk Dogge" and "Spiked Punk Dogge" so im having some fun I guess.

ElMaligno posted:

What has science done?

I'm glad I wasn't the only person to name everything after dogges. This goddamn dude wrecked me in three bites, then chased me a mile back to my starship and tried to eat the engine. A++ game.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Is there a way to navigate via the star map? I've just been branching out at random, and I feel like a retard. I enjoy exploring, but if I'm eventually going to get to the center of the galaxy, it would be cool to know where the center is.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Sure, NMS is repetitive, but it's worth it for the chance to destroy the Freudian personification of your enlistment:

Spotted on a distant planet...

Edit: Also, there are definitely multi-biome planets. I've only seen two, though. One continent was mostly rolling, grassy meadows and forests, while across the ocean was jagged volcanic rock and cacti.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 15, 2016

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

not caring here posted:

What in the blue gently caress did I just watch

Prometheus: The Game, evidently.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Two Finger posted:

loving :lol::lol::lol:

Rip feminism

Yeah, RIP.

Edit: original Deus Ex was so goddamn clever. I liked HR and tolerated Invisible War, but they never really recaptured the dry humor, philosophical debates, or batshit crazy conspiracy theories of the first one.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 29, 2016

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Give me a space combat game where all you do is execute Exterminatus on planets

Star Wars: Empire at War had both space and ground RTS maps, but you could cut the campaign in half by building the Death Star and going ham on Rebel planets. It more than made up for the middling nature of the actual gameplay.

https://youtu.be/O_Tf4_VSA_E?t=14s

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

yeah it talks big on the site about upgrading your fleet but i wasnt sure if that was just code for MULTIPLAYER unlocks or if it has a cool campaign with persistent fleet poo poo or whatever

Yes, your fleet is persistent. Upgrades stick. I've only played the first few turns, so I can't say much about the plot. Thus far I've squared off against Orks and traitor Guardsmen. Space combat is fun, and mission objectives are varied, but it is slow. By which I mean, your ships can move pretty quickly, but battles tend to involve capital ships circling one another firing broadsides and launching boarding parties to try and gently caress up each others' internal systems. That, or maneuver so another ship can serve as a battering ram. It takes a long time to gently caress up a big ship.

I like it, but it's not like any other game I've played, so I have nothing to compare it against.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

does it seem like a LONG campaign or even a replayable one?

Yeah, it looks like the campaign will run for a good while. The galactic map has a whole bunch of planets/sectors/whatever, and your goal is to maintain control over as many of them as you can while the story progresses. Some start out under xeno control, others are attacked each turn. It's up to you to balance strategic upgrades for your fleet (slowly crew stats to be useful later) with the more immediate instant upgrades to weapons and tech.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Naked Bear posted:

My buddy sent me a copy this past weekend, so I set up a server on my spare laptop and three of us have been going nuts at it. I dunno if I missed something in the server configuration, but the bug menace is real.

The only good bug is a dead bug. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

I was going to be productive tonight and write my Enlisted Performance Report.

Instead, your post motivated me to get drunk and watch Starship Troopers.

Thanks!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

All the recent Ace Combat games had fantastic soundtracks.

I judge others on whether they prefer Ace Combat or HAWX.

I knew you were good people, HDI.

Ace Combat 4 - Agnus Dei
Ace Combat 5 - The Unsung War
Ace Combat Zero - Zero
Ace Combat 5 - The Journey Home (Radio)
Ace Combat 4 - USEA National Anthem (Hymn of Liberty)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Pesticide20 posted:

There are a lot of really bizarre Skyrim mods out there. Like this one http://www.loverslab.com/topic/23451-horse-penis/

For once I looked at a link address before blindly clicking on it, thank god.

I wish they'd port over Oblivion or Morrowind, but I know it'll never happen. :(

Since the Bethesda release pattern has thus far alternated Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles, I figure it's only another couple years until we get TES VI.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Syrian Lannister posted:

That's one of the ones in my library I'm waiting to play, along w Spec Ops.

Spec Ops: The Line is poo poo, though. I went in expecting some clever commentary about the dehumanizing nature of war, and I got a lovely generic shooter with clumsy controls.

I've heard the designers claim they made the gameplay poo poo intentionally, but that smacks of after-the-fact rationalizing their bad game.

As for the story, the military literally invented the term "collateral damage." I have a hard time believing a team of Delta soldiers would be too broke up about accidentally offing civilians while accomplishing their mission.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Star Citizen is ditching CryEngine and switching to a freeware game engine built by Amazon. This really is going to be the Duke Nukem Forever of space games.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-switches-game-engines-after-years-of-/1100-6446503/

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

new vegas still best fallout

I got back into NV in a big way a couple weeks ago, when I was sick with the flu. Goddamn that game holds up well. Obsidian knows how to write.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

One of my airmen sunk a whole bunch of money into that black hole way back at the beginning. Several hundred dollars. Now he's a staff sergeant. I told him if it comes out before he makes tech, I'll stop using him as an example when I brief new airmen on bad financial choices. I feel confident in my bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Bolow posted:

Time to get your hopes up for something cool and wait until Disney issues a Cease and Desist a couple weeks before it's ready to be played

http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-is-star-wars-x-wing-being-recreated-in-unity-engine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLrqtmKazpI

:pray:

If Disney puts the kibosh on the fanmade X-Wing remake, they'd better have something even better up their sleeve. If they make a new dedicated flight sim a la the Rogue One X-Wing mission, I'd probably buy a VR setup and starve to death in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGly44Sbmk

• Locked thread