Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

sedative posted:

Del Zotto got his neck cut by a skate on his first shift last night. His first shift after being scratched for nine straight games.

He took pictures http://instagram.com/p/xUrxb6QAx8/

If you're squeamish like me you might not wanna click that link.

Yes, I should've exected it, but I'm also dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

sedative posted:

Del Zotto got his neck cut by a skate on his first shift last night. His first shift after being scratched for nine straight games.

He was also cut badly by Malkin's skate years ago in his side/chest area. Dude probably has some wicked scars

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
In a move that I know will truly shock SAS, Joffrey Lupul has been placed on the IR.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

grack posted:

In a move that I know will truly shock SAS, Joffrey Lupul has been placed on the IR.

quote:

Jeffler: Since signing a 5-year extension with the Leafs in January 2013, Joffrey Lupul has missed 32.2% of their games and been injured seven times.

Maybe long term extensions for 30+ career injury cases are not such great ideas.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Beau Bennett's new years resolution is playing 10 games in a row. Haha. Poor guy. I hope you do it, we need your playmaking ability.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Maybe long term extensions for 30+ career injury cases are not such great ideas.

He'd fit in great on the Penguins though.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sedative posted:

I thought MDZ had been pretty good for the Flyers this year...

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Anders posted:

I thought MDZ had been pretty good for the Flyers this year...

He has been. Craig Berube is an idiot.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oilers' Pitlick suffered lacerated spleen in loss to Flames
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/670988
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app)

W.T.F.

Edit: spleen is the funniest organ

Edit 2: Aulie to have hearing for hit on Stajan. I'll be surprised if he even gets fined.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 1, 2015

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Lupul out (lol), Holland sent back to Toronto for an MRI and likely out, meanwhile Kadri, JVR, and Santorelli all sat out from practice for "maintenance" today.

Top Leafs forwards actually healthy enough to practice:

Kessel
Bozak
... Komarov?

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

sedative posted:

oh sweet lord. glad he's ok.

thanks to the caps, nashville has 2 games in hand on chicago and is only a point back. happy new year :toot:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Beau Bennett's new years resolution is playing 10 games in a row. Haha. Poor guy. I hope you do it, we need your playmaking ability.

Bennett is really an amazing player and it's such a drat shame that he is so injury prone. Seems like he can hold on to the puck forever, and he is a great passer. I've said this before, but I'd love to see him on the second or even first line with Malkin or Crosby -- put him in more of a skill/scoring role instead of grinding it out on the third line, and hopefully he can stay healthier that way.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Good game, great photo, awful officiating.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Anton Lander is back again, baby

Also Pitlick is out after he and I quote " sufferef a lacerated spleen during last night's game and remains in Calgary for further evaluation." :stare:

fits fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 2, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Bennett is really an amazing player and it's such a drat shame that he is so injury prone. Seems like he can hold on to the puck forever, and he is a great passer. I've said this before, but I'd love to see him on the second or even first line with Malkin or Crosby -- put him in more of a skill/scoring role instead of grinding it out on the third line, and hopefully he can stay healthier that way.
The thing is almost every injury he has gotten are these weird fluke injuries that just happen to him. Did he walk under 6 ladders and break 66 mirrors or something?

Sadmantongue
Sep 4, 2011
If you are truly curious about Edmonton's shittyness here's a thing about their goaltending: http://oilersnation.com/2014/12/24/the-kind-of-goaltending-that-makes-a-saint-swear

Its loving awful

Also they consistently run 3 defense men who would struggle to get into the opening lineup of any other NHL team in Ference, Schultz and Nikitin and/or Brad Hunt. Luckily Ference is signed for another 2 years at a lovely cap hit so his leadership and piss poor defensive awareness can continue to drag down his D partner and only legitimate top 4 Defender Edmonton has in Jeff Petry who will be soon traded away because he's on the last year of his contract and hes "soft".

Oscar Klefbom seems cool though, enough so that the coach makes him the leader in D TOI as a rookie.

loving Oilers.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

at least they have fayne!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

fits posted:

Anton Lander is back again, baby

Also Pitlick is out after he and I quote " sufferef a lacerated spleen during last night's game and remains in Calgary for further evaluation." :stare:

A lacerated spleen isn't quite as uncommon as you would think. It can happen with blunt force trauma

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
gently caress refs and gently caress hangovers in that order.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

quote:

Brian Burke ‏@Burkie2020 59s60 seconds ago
I saw Sean Monahan after the game yesterday. I said "Happy New Year." He said "Happy New Year" back.

solid stuff from burkie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The web voting for the All Star Game is dumber than Martin Brodeur on a video game cover.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Aphrodite posted:

The web voting for the All Star Game is dumber than Martin Brodeur on a video game cover.

No way, Zemgus Girgensons and his 20 points surely deserve to be the star attraction at the all-star game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not as bad as Corey Crawford.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Trevor Bird posted:

solid stuff from burkie

Brian Burke is the best NHL personality.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/670988
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app)

W.T.F.

Edit: spleen is the funniest organ

Edit 2: Aulie to have hearing for hit on Stajan. I'll be surprised if he even gets fined.

Or he'll get two games, what do I know?

Trevor Bird posted:

solid stuff from burkie

@boringseanmonahan

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

"What's cooler than cool?"

"…..Our power play?"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
The Minnesota Wild are really breaking my heart for how much they were hyped at the start of the season

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

toe knee hand posted:

And this is a thought I had about Corsi: it works as a stat because hockey players and people who run hockey teams don't really believe in it. If a team decided to really buy in to Corsi, and to just take as many shots as possible instead of setting up good shots, they probably wouldn't be very good. But because hockey players and hockey systems care about puck movement and traffic in front of the net and other things that make a shot more likely to go in, Corsi usually works.

Well, if a team decided to 'buy into Corsi,' they would hopefully understand that it is the end, not the means. That said, the Sharks might be as close as it comes. Their offensive mentality boils down to 'throw pucks on net,' though it's not for reasons of 'Corsi is good' so much as 'most goals are scored in chaotic fashion, so just get the puck close to the net.' But over the TMac era, their resulting shot totals (really high) and percentage (really loving low, emphatically so relative to the talent they've had) are about what you might expect.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Question for the mods: can I post an animated GIF regarding this Corsi conversation that adds nothing to the discuss, other than applying my personal feelings regarding statistics debates, or no?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The Minnesota Wild are really breaking my heart for how much they were hyped at the start of the season

I wouldn't be too worried at least. They're sort of in the same boat as Dallas in that they're waiting for some internal talent to develop before making a big push. Need to keep in mind their goaltending situation has been pretty bizarre the last year too.

The only reason they're on the outside looking in right now is because Nashville had been a big surprise this season, and the Jets have by pure luck found a goalie who's not awful.

Edit: I'm also not convinced by the Jets recent hot streak either. Although I think Dallas will take that last wildcard spot over the Wild.

Loqieu fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 2, 2015

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Jonny Nox posted:

Peter Forsberg had his spleen removed. My advanced statistics inform me this means Pitlick will spend the rest of his career attempting to find a skate that properly fits his crocked foot.

Speaking of crocks, Eric Brewer might return for the Ducks this weekend :corsair:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mike Works posted:

Question for the mods: can I post an animated GIF regarding this Corsi conversation that adds nothing to the discuss, other than applying my personal feelings regarding statistics debates, or no?

Is it funny and preferably not a meme?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I wonder if there's money to be made in developing a stick and puck transmitter/receiver combo for tracking puck possession. It's still the major stat that isn't recorded by the NHL, but in theory shouldn't be that hard to do with modern technology. Hell I might jury rig up a prototype with my stick and a practice puck, it'd be a good reason to utilize my electronics knowledge and know how.

Basically you'd have a sensor that focuses down the shaft of your stick, encompassing an area around the blade - when the puck is in that region it registers that you're in possession of the puck, and transmits the data to a rink wide receiver. You could utilize some sort of GPS system to record on ice movements with the puck as well and collect as much data on zone entries and similar functions as you'd like.

*Scratches chin in thought*

To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. The units used would be pretty small, as I have a GPS receiver/transmitter that is smaller than a matchbox and weighs gently caress all, and that's using GSM/Quad band, so something for a localized rink would be even smaller.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Mike Works posted:

Go ahead.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Seeing the Wild and Stars in a place where they are losing 5-4 to average teams is something I would not have predicted, especially from the Minnesota side. Especially since Minnesota does have a positive differential.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DOOMocrat posted:

Seeing the Wild and Stars in a place where they are losing 5-4 to average teams is something I would not have predicted, especially from the Minnesota side. Especially since Minnesota does have a positive differential.

The Wild are like the 05-06 Oilers where they're a legitimately very good team being held back by bad goaltending. While Kuemper is probably better than a .901 goalie, they should still add another keeper so they aren't relying on what used to be Niklas Backstrom as option number two.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Mike Works posted:

Question for the mods: can I post an animated GIF regarding this Corsi conversation that adds nothing to the discussion, other than applying my personal feelings regarding statistics debates, or no?

Only if it conveys the same personal feelings as myself

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Diet Crack posted:

I wonder if there's money to be made in developing a stick and puck transmitter/receiver combo for tracking puck possession. It's still the major stat that isn't recorded by the NHL, but in theory shouldn't be that hard to do with modern technology. Hell I might jury rig up a prototype with my stick and a practice puck, it'd be a good reason to utilize my electronics knowledge and know how.

Basically you'd have a sensor that focuses down the shaft of your stick, encompassing an area around the blade - when the puck is in that region it registers that you're in possession of the puck, and transmits the data to a rink wide receiver. You could utilize some sort of GPS system to record on ice movements with the puck as well and collect as much data on zone entries and similar functions as you'd like.

*Scratches chin in thought*

To be honest I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. The units used would be pretty small, as I have a GPS receiver/transmitter that is smaller than a matchbox and weighs gently caress all, and that's using GSM/Quad band, so something for a localized rink would be even smaller.

Having the puck on your stick is not really a good possession indicator since you can spend a lot of time with complete control over the puck without having your stick physically in contact with it. It's probably way easier to just pay someone $10 an hour to watch the game and track it manually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You'd have to pay me a lot more than $30 to watch like a 3rd of the teams in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

You'd have to pay me a lot more than $30 to watch like a 3rd of the teams in the league.

You just need one scout in Florida and one in Arizona and you'll cover most of the teams at minimal cost... eventually.

• Locked thread