Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So I was going through some teat stats yesterday and was blown away that the Rangers are currently tied for fourth in the NHL with the Islanders in goals per game. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

In case you guys were wondering about the latest Devils nightmare, Mark Fraser has been called up because Eric Gelinas might have the mumps. Mark Fraser.

Mark Fraser has been called up

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Islanders are also in an interesting position of having a shitfuck ton of capspace and a ton of assets/prospects. They're gonna have to re-sign some guys in 2-3 years to big deals, but they are in a prime position to acquire another big player.

Jagr-Tavares-Okposo

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if DeBoer wound up in Minnesota if Yeo gets canned. Parise loved him, too. The Wild should be a lot better than they are, I think they have a great roster on paper.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also Charlie Coyle doesn't get enough love, he's awesome. Good possession numbers, 30-40 points of production, he's only 22. Coyle/Granlund/Nino have been very good and make up a great core of young forwards and Parise/Koivu/Vanek is a pretty sweet veteran core. Well, OK, Vanek kinda sucks.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 6, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really can't believe Bylsma hasn't been hired by somebody yet.

That too. Pretty surprising.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Looking at even strength points per 60 minutes, which is led by Tyler Johnson. Tampa has two other players in the top ten in the league and neither of them is Stamkos. Ryan Strome is fifth.

Also: Alexander Ovechkin 5 on 5 is the most dominant possession player in the league.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

He is, and was a dominant possession player before Backstrom even made it to the NHL and was the best possession player in hockey when Backstrom was a rookie.

I was going to post something like this. Ovechkin doesn't drive possession? He never controls the puck and just shoots when Backstrom dishes it? loving nuts. The guy had several consecutive years of being the undisputed best possession player in the NHL and it's not surprising that he's in the conversation again this season.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zamboni Jesus posted:

also the implication that shooting the puck a lot is somehow bad

Right. The reason why he's so dangerous is because he possesses the puck and shoots it more than anybody else and also manages to pretty much be at a 45-55-goal pace every season.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think Toronto can be quite good with a good coach -- even despite Carlyle's awfulness they have a lot of good shooters in their lineup. They're second in the NHL in goals per game this year despite minimal possession time, which also can be looked at as being lucky with shooting percentage.

But their roster seems to me like it could be a very quick turnaround with a couple moves and a coach with a good system. Toronto was rumored to have wanted DeBoer last year before Lamoriello extended his contract and I still think he'd be a great fit in Toronto, if for anything but being a guy who starts the era of Maple Leafs hockey which values puck possession and being aggressive.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

Apparently Doan asked for a trade and was told no and is furious about it. Dave Tippett sounds like a guy that wants to be fired in all of his recent pressers. With the five year out clause, the team saying "gently caress this poo poo" and goaltending falling apart... it's gotta be a hard time to be a Coyotes fan, somehow harder than usual.

Yeah, Arizona has really fallen apart. I think Doan thought they would continue to get better but the guy wants a shot at a Cup at this point. What happened, by the way? I thought Tippett was a wizard who could get any team into the playoffs? I would imagine part of it is horrendous goaltending?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

What is the biggest knock on Capuano? He is awful at developing young players/ran some of them out of town and his system kinda ignores defense, but considering the Islanders are fourth in the NHL in possession and 26-12-1, it's tough to say he's doing a bad job with the team this year. He's not even restraining Ryan Strome like he did his first two years and now Strome is a straight-up awesome player. And the 30th penalty kill is probably on whichever assistant coach handles that.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

NHL.com has an article up about Aaron Ekblad. Some excerpts:

quote:

If he continues to collect points at his current pace, Ekblad will soon have the third-most points in NHL history by a defenseman who remained 18 through at least Feb. 1, and he'll have a chance to pass Bobby Orr for second.

quote:

The second table shows every first-year defenseman of the past 20 years aged 23 or younger (to cut out some older players who were rookies in name only). Ekblad has a chance to finish among the most prolific rookie defensemen of the past two decades, a pretty remarkable feat considering how offense has declined in recent years (compared to say, 2005-06 when three guys on this list were rookies) and because of Florida's trouble scoring goals.

quote:

There are 153 defensemen who have logged at least 400 minutes at even strength so far this season. Ekblad is 26th among them in Corsi-for percentage at 53.4 percent. He is in the top 40 in most shot attempts for per 60 minutes and fewest shot attempts against per 60 minutes.

This was before he had another assist last night. I wonder what his percentage of contribution to the offense is. He is a point behind Bjugstad for the team lead now. He has 23 points and the Panthers have scored 90 goals. He's also a +10. All of this is pretty remarkable considering the team he plays for. Without Ekblad and Luongo, Florida is a basement team.

I've posted a few times already about Ekblad. He's having the best season a rookie defenseman has had in a long time and he's a young 18 (meaning he will still be 18 through February this year). This guy is gonna win a poo poo ton of Norris trophies.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah, they've made some trades with the Islanders and I suppose they're a possibility because they are struggling to find a winger who can stick with Tavares and Okposo. And Washington would be a good fit as well -- Jagr-Backstrom-Ovechkin is just punishing. Punishing!

I love Jagr and so does Lou but it's clear that this team is in rebuild mode and incapable of going on an actual winning streak, so it wouldn't make any sense not to trade him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Heaf posted:

Isles traded for Dan Boyle in the offseason but he ended up signing with the Rangers.

They traded for Halak too and signed him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jason Garrison isn't mediocre, but yes, playing with Campbell certainly helps him. But he's legitimately been terrific on his own, that sample size without Campbell probably isn't enough. Just the offensive production alone is the best we've seen from an 18 year-old defenseman since Phil Housley, back when scoring was way way up, and Ekblad has been getting better and better as the season's gone on.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

fits posted:

the key with bobs is his isn't long term, he'll only be 30 when thats done

its a lot of money but its pretty reasonable all told

Agreed, a lot of these longer deals with smaller cap hits, the prime years of the player are usually front-loaded anyway. Bobrovsky is really good and the cap is gonna keep going up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Elias got in over Jagr. What??

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dude the Islanders loving kick rear end, I love them

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So when is Sather gonna trade for Vermette because he would be absolutely perfect for the Rangers as a 3C

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

in other news, vermette would be cool but Hayes just had one of his best games and has been playing really well on a line with hagelin and fast/stempniak. he may still hit the college wall but he's been very good lately and it would suck to see him out. and i dont think they want to move him back to wing like in college

Yeah, that's the thing -- the young guys are all playing very well. Hayes is getting better every game. Vermette owns on faceoffs and has proven to be consistently productive and would do really well in terms of getting the Rangers something that would legitimately help them in a Cup run, but you also don't want to give up too many assets and you want to have Miller/Hayes/Fast continue to play well and get the playoff experience. I suppose the Rangers just might have to deal with losing most of their faceoffs.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I can't believe Buffalo lost haha. I saw they were up 3-0 and was like "so Detroit is gonna be the one to break the streak, that's surprising" and nope.

In other news, it would be fun to see the Islanders mop the floor with Philadelphia today.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Scott Gomez has 16 points in 23 games.

Also, for those of you who really stupidly doubted Cory Schneider's ability to be a No. 1 goaltender, he's now firmly a .920

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah the East is very strong and the West has Nashville, Chicago, Anaheim, St. Louis, and if LA gets in you can't count them out either. I think Minnesota could make a coaching change and surge in the second half.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Weird about Santorelli. Who would the Rangers take out of the lineup? Unless this was a deal for Glass straight up which would be great for them.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Menamino posted:

so what are the chances of Toronto brass listening to their really dumb media and running Kessel out of town? I looked around earlier and the current belief in some articles I read is that if he were ever to be moved it would be in the offseason. But I'll never put it past dumb dumbs to make a move for the sake of making a move.

I wonder what kind of return Kessel would get. Obviously nothing near his real value, but how much lower?

Isles when healthy currently have Grabovski probably sitting on the bench. They can definitely just keep rolling with what they have and wait for inevitable injuries to keep hitting, but I feel like Garth might be looking to make one more big move if the Isles are still at the top of the conference near the deadline since they have that logjam at forward. They'd probably push for someone like Yandle before ever going after Kessel, and the chances of them getting either are under 1%, I'm just tossing some ideas around because I'm already going through hockey withdrawal and the all star weekend hasn't even started yet.

Grabovski won't be on the bench, he makes $5m and he's been solid when healthy, but it's a tough call. It would make Grabner or Bailey the odd one out, and both are great trade pieces. God if the Isles got Kessel to play with Tavares and Okposo. That seems like just dumb enough for the Leafs to do. But yeah I doubt Kessel goes anywhere, regardless of the media shitstorm about him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

LOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Not using their amnesty on Richards was incredibly stupid

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Lou Lamoriello posted:

“With the collective bargaining agreement and the length of contracts, it makes it very difficult – and I'm sure I'm not the only one to say this – to make hockey trades. There will be an occasional one here or there. It becomes the exception in these days rather than the norm. You take chances in certain areas, but you'll pay or it later and you see that in a lot of situations.”

GM's are forking over these long-term big money contracts left and right and making trades during the season is apparently getting harder because of it. Says the guy who gave Ryane Clowe a five-year contract.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Dion is absent from Leafs practice today fyi. Trade may not be as dead as people are claiming.

This would be the most predictably bad Leafs trade

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Schneider watch: 2.37/.921

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'd be surprised if Olsen isn't picked up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Sabres about to lose their 13th straight in regulation to Edmonton

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

http://teespring.com/IslesBlogYES

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

Danny Kristo and a 2nd for Vermette, please. Please!

There is no way Maloney is getting a guy like Lazar for a rental, but someone like Kristo and a 2nd might be enough. He's a rental, and rentals just don't get much anymore at the deadline. That's a deal the Rangers can afford to make and I really think Vermette would be perfect for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's February which means it's time for exaggerated trade rumors!

• Locked thread