Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Beau Bennett's new years resolution is playing 10 games in a row. Haha. Poor guy. I hope you do it, we need your playmaking ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Seems like a really good trade for the Penguins. Probably will slot in as a winger for Malkin or Crosby and he is on a cap-friendly deal for a guy who is likely to put up 50+ points (over a full season).

Also he is shooting 6.8% this season which isn't likely to continue (his career average is 12.8%), so he's probably more of a 10 goal-scorer at this point in the season rather than a 5 goal-scorer.

Edit: I guess Klinkhammer is going back to Edmonton. Don't really know much about him and how he affects the value of this trade.

Klink is a big (but not especially physical) guy who is decent at puck possession. Good depth guy to have. I'm pretty damned excited about this. Perron is a dude who has the talent to create his own offense which is something the Pens badly need on wing. He's also signed through next year on an affordable contract.

I know JR was pretty awful by the end with Carolina but he's done mostly nothing but good things for the Pens so far. The Fleury move is the only questionable thing he's done so far and if Fleury keeps playing like he has (unlikely, but I hope!) then that deal will work out okay too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Pens taking Win Now mode to a higher level with their crazy amount of depth injuries seems like it could backfire.

This isn't a win now trade though given that Perron is signed through next season as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

William DePaoli @TIOPS_DePaoli
Penguins looked into Perron in early November, the ask was Brandon Sutter. Two months later get him for a first round pick. That's value.

I don't know how credible this guy is but found this interesting.

He's not particularly credible. He's a Pittsburgh Eklund. Has a pay site where he claims to have an inside scoop. I don't use his dumb site so maybe there is some credibility there but I've never heard or read anywhere him breaking a deal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pancakes by Mail posted:

It might not be all-aboard Win Now Or Die, but I'd say trading a first rounder for an active player does help the present at the cost of the future.

Not that it's a bad trade, just indicative.

If everything worked out with that first round pick for the Pens that pick would end up as good as Perron already is, and he's 26. This move hardly hurts the Pens' future.

a false posted:

i'd rather have a 1st than sutter

Probably. Sutter is pretty meh outside of the pk and his slight talent at scoring goals.

e: In related Pens news Malkin and Adams apparently got into a tussle in practice and Malkin high sticked Adams in the face Bill Guerin style.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 2, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

THE MACHO MAN posted:

tbh, I think Perron had more value to Edmonton on the team than a late 1st that they will gently caress up. He's a good top six player on a relatively cheap deal ($3.8 per this year and next) and he's still only 26.

At the very least, they should have gotten more than a late first and a throw away player.

I'm surprised they didn't ask for one of the Pen's many d prospects. Pens wouldn't have given up Pouliot but you would think the Oilers would have been able to pry away Dumoulin or Harrington. But I suppose maybe if they do that they get a second instead of a first, and the Oilers do have a decent amount of good d prospects iirc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

New York Islanders. First in the east.

V: awwww yeah. John Tavares rules.

Actually it's the Penguins. Suck it :colbert:

Isles are pretty good though. They scare me since I think they are a bad matchup for the Pens due to their overwhelming team speed. The Pens are an excellent skating team but the Isles are even faster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That's true with all of these guys we're talking about, including the aforementioned Bourque.

Lidstrom was ridiculously good but Ray Bourque is the all time leader in shots by like 1000 so I'm pretty sure his corsi/fenwick must have been outrageous most years.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

In case Canuck fans needed even more reason to hate John Tortorella:

gently caress you Torts.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Jamieson+Luongo+even+more+laid+back+Florida/10706844/story.html

On the other hand Luongo is a huge baby if not playing in a stupid outdoor game factored into his decision to want to be traded

e: Also Mike Yeo is a terrible coach. He ran the powerplay for the Pens prior to getting hired by the Wild and as long as Yeo was here the Pens powerplay was notoriously incompetent despite having Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, etc. I was shocked when a team picked him up as a head coach.

Yeo :argh:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Torts is the villain here. The crowd were actually chanting for Lou to start. What a stupid move.

Do you really want your coach to factor the fans into his decisions

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

If he's a terrible coach, then yes.

Although I've always wanted to see a player just immediately spin and whip the puck on net regardless of where he was on the ice when the crowd starts yelling SHOOOOOOTTT just to see what happens. Would they cheer or boo him?

It would be amusing to see that, but I doubt most players even process what fans are saying. I know I never did when I played because I'd just get in a zone - but I played in front of hundreds, not thousands, so mayyybe it's different when that many people are yelling to do something.

colonel_korn posted:

The season was, for all intents and purposes, over at that point as there was no chance that the Canucks were going to make the playoffs. There had been a huge cloud of negativity surrounding the team since Torts got suspended and the outdoor game in Vancouver had the potential to be a really positive experience. Instead Torts made the inexplicable decision to go with Lack over Luongo, which cast a huge pall over the whole event (and of course they lost for good measure). This is less than a year after management put their support behind Luongo by deciding to trade Schneider. It really was an immensely stupid decision.

Not saying it was a good decision to start Lack just that I sure as hell don't want my coach making decisions based on what the fans want to see.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Luongo was pissed on and jerked around by the team for two straight years and promised to be traded on multiple occasions. MSL had his feelings hurt because he felt he was entitled to a spot on Team Canada because Yzerman managed both teams. One was an ongoing period of alienation from the team that took place over several seasons, the other was a brief spat that was resolved in a few weeks. There is no comparison between the two situations other than the fact that they both asked for trades.

I think the common ground between the two situations is that they are both huge babies

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

You'll have to be more specific

I think it was Robert "the killer" Bortuzzo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That would be a pretty frightening overreaction to whatever problems he could have, and Malkin and Pouliot seem like bizarre targets. Interesting way to end your NHL career.

Adams was Dan Bylsma's pet. I recall reading a story about how he was a snitch too who would have coffee with Bylsma and report on the other players.

Mike Johnston is playing him like 3 minutes less a game this year than he got last year. It's actually been good for Adams though as he has had his best season in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a lot of frustration over being considered less of an authority on the team, though. If he's being a jackass in practice he can just gently caress off though. We don't need him. The Pens have like 13 guys that can pk well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

haha seriously? that's hosed up

Yes. Granted Mark Madden said it, and Mark Madden is a notorious blow hard, but I believe it. He claimed three different players told him that story.

Words can't describe Dan Bylsma's love of Craig Adams. He'd play him 12 minutes a night and then have him on the ice in any key defensive situation. Yes Dan, put out Craig Adams and Tanner Glass with 1 minute left to defend our one goal lead and then watch them get hopelessly pinned in our end. I can't count how many losses or near losses the Pens had because of that style of coaching.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

darkwolf220 posted:

Vrbata gets the call instead of either of the Sedins. Hmm.

Also, I was going to object to the inclusion of Tyler Johnson, but what the gently caress so many points? Side effect of playing with Stamkos?

Who will be the captains for the fantasy draft?

Pretty sure he doesn't even play with Stamkos. Iirc Johnson is Tampa's second line center and their second line has been siiiiiiiiiick this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well if we're posting Shane Churla videos then I give you my favorite youtube title ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9XB5_vbKc

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

toe knee hand posted:

I saw Pouliot in the WHL a lot last year and I was surprised they called him up. Last year in the WHL, against weaker competition, he often looked pretty bad in his own zone. His offensive play more than made up for it at that level, but I thought he'd struggle at first in pro hockey and would probably need a couple years in the AHL. I didn't see him at all in the AHL, but with the Pens he didn't look as bad as I thought he would, so maybe he's made progress already or his weaknesses just weren't amplified in the NHL like I thought they'd be.

He definitely wasn't ready for the NHL. He put up like a 42% corsi. His offensive instincts are still ridiculously good and he managed to create some offense despite getting killed in possession. You can tell that the tools are there to be at the least an awesome powerplay guy.

His defensive game still needs a lot of work, and he looked a little slow to me at times. He could use some work on his skating and d-zone work.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Perron is pretty good. When Hornqvist and Comeau come back the Pens are going to be scary.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

I will be really, really, really surprised if Yeo is the coach of the Wild for much longer. They just looked like they couldn't give a poo poo tonight and if the players look like that then it means they've given up on the coach.

They actually came out pretty hard and outplayed the Pens early. Then the Pens got two quick ones and that was pretty much all she wrote.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Arcobello has a decent amount of talent. Lebrun said the Pens got him to be 4th line scoring depth that can play top 9 if needed. Makes sense to me. Sill is pretty bad and the 4th line could use an offensive boost. Arcobello gives them that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

So Michel Therrien fans will love this story from the Hamilton Spectator today about the Bulldogs' coaching.

The salient bit:

Having the same minor league and NHL systems isn't a bad idea, though. It ensures any call-ups can integrate seamlessly with their NHL team rather than having to learn a different way to play.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

That absolutely makes sense, yes.

It's just that if you don't like Therrien's system, this isn't the best thing to hear, and the way Bergevin explained it does make it sound like kind of a lovely job for Lefebvre as well. "Yeah I'm sure he has his own thoughts and stuff but SILENCE HERETIC"

Yeah I mean if the system is crap then it's not the greatest thing but at least in theory it's a good practice

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder how much Mike Johnston's system has helped Fleury's numbers. I know the beep boop stats people think teams have little to no effect on a goalie's save percentage but that line of thinking has never made sense to me. It seems like the Pens going from like 22nd in Fenwick to I think 12th this year would help Fleury.

I'm sure the new goalie coach has helped a lot too. The fact that they didn't get a new goalie coach earlier is a huge indictment of Shero considering just how much better Fleury looks these days.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Nice to see Crosby scoring again. Geno and Sid are about to take over that ross lead again until one/both inevitably get injured.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Malkin/Crosby battle it out for the Art Ross while Stamkos/Ovechkin go at it for the Rocket, just as nature intended. Voracek and Seguin exchange snide e-mails about their defenses as they miss the playoffs.

And then all four of them choke in the playoffs while LA or some other bullshit retard team wins the cup. Hockey.txt

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

No see, the game is in Philly, so it's basically a toss-up :v:

Maf is back to not being able to stop a beach ball and I can't see that mixing well with the FLyers powerplay which converts at like 90% on the Pens

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

What will happen, maybe all at once

Idiotic Downie penalty, maybe major
Penguins do gently caress all to clear front of net
Lazy turnover leads to gimme scoring chance

then the penguins will immediately mentally collapse after that unless they were already playing lovely in which case they'll play even worse

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I agree and it's weird to say that at the all star break. The bottom 4 of the Metro are terrible except CBJ, but they are way too far behind to catch up at this point. Toronto is doing its annual second-half flameout, and Boston is heating up and likely to stay in the top 8. If Montreal didn't already have a 9 point cushion on Florida I could see them dropping out because their fancy stats suck, but Price is also really good so that negates a bunch of it.

Looking at the top 8 teams right now, there isn't a team that is a runaway favorite or pretender. As a Caps fan I really don't want to see the Rangers, I'm sick of them and they are just a bad matchup too. I actually think the Caps matchup well against Pittsburgh in terms of style, but then again they lose to Pittsburgh all the time when it matters. The Islanders are really good and insanely aggressive. So basically I want the Caps to either finish with a wild card and play the Lightning in the first round since I live near Tampa, or I want them to win the division and play the wild card from the Atlantic Division.

I'm just not sure what the Caps' answer is to Malkin. Their top line will do its thing and the Pens' top line will do its thing and then it's up to the Caps' depth to outdo Malkin and I dunno that that would happen. Maybe Holtby could be the difference, but Fleury has been really good this year as well.

I could definitely see the Caps winning though. This year the playoffs in the East are completely wide open. Anybody can beat anybody. People always say that but this year it's actually true. There is not one bad playoff team in the East.

People read too much into mental block matchups though. The Pens did well against Boston a few years ago in the regular season then got swept in the playoffs. If the Isles and Rangers want to hang their hat on having regular season success against the Pens then they are in for a rude awakening in the playoffs potentially. And same thing with the Pens and Caps. The Caps are more than capable of beating the Pens even if I think the Pens would be more likely to win.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

I'd make fun of the Panthers attendance numbers, but then I remember that the Rangers boosted attendance numbers in their first season by advertising fake Jewish and Italian players.

then in the 90's they advertised fake star players

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sedative posted:

@davegisaac: Zac Rinaldo: "I changed the whole game, man. Who knows what woulda happened if I didn't do what I did?"

:laffo: how does he skate with a head that big

if downie sees that quote he is literally going to decapitate voracek or giroux next time they meet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

Rangers pass the Pens for second place in the Atlantic.

They can have it as far as I'm concerned. The Pens don't seem to deal well with pressure so it might actually be good for them to finish lower.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought Pouliot looked real good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Shero did fine at drafting. Having a huge pile of defensemen isn't a problem when all of them are good prospects. Drafting should be done by best player available not by oh we need a winger lets draft one.

My issue is they have all of these guys and haven't been giving them a chance to play up until this year. There was no reason Despres shouldn't have been full time last year, for example. Other issue is they insist on holding onto them instead of trying to move them for needs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's no way defensemen were the best players available for all those picks. Gee I wonder why our wing depth sucks when there's nothing in the pipeline for it.

Despres wasn't fulltime because Bylsma hated him and because he had a softspot for minor league try-hards like Derek Engellend

Of course the defensemen weren't always the best players. But obviously the Pens saw them that way. You have to go by what your scouts consider is the BPA even if that player is not a position you need. Drafting otherwise gets you poo poo like Dylan Mcylrath instead of Tarasenko. You just draft what you think will be the best asset. You can then trade them if you get a glut of players at that position. The problem is the Pens refuse to trade any of their prospects when doing so could probably get them something good.

And then you get poo poo like Shero and now Rutherford having too much loyalty to certain players. There's no reason to be this loyal to Craig Adams and Brandon Sutter, both of whom are terrible. That is especially true in the case of Sutter who could bring in value since his perceived value far exceeds what he actually brings a team. But Sutter is well liked by his teammates so he stays.

As for Despres yeah Bylsma hated him which is why it's nice to have a coach who actually trusts young players. Look how many minutes Pouliot got last night. Bylsma would never have done that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

...he got a car for being picked last which is the dumbest god drat thing.

Can't hurt these poor multi millionaire athlete's feelings

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That Pens-Jets game is gonna be funny if Malkin is still hurt next week.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DOOMocrat posted:

I'm about the furthest thing from a league conspirator, but like the rules won't bend for Sidney Crosby. Or like they won't eat the fine, if it comes to that.

They're not bending though? He's being forced to sit an NHL game because he's not going to the ASG.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I assume it's actually because of the minimum IR term, right? And the NHL is requiring IR to let him sit out the game?

Trevor Bird posted:

apparently the rule is miss the game or pay a fine. i'm assuming he'll pay a fine. unless he's actually injured or something.

Datsyuk and Lidstrom got suspended a game for doing the same thing Crosby is doing iirc. Pretty sure that's what is going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duke Chin posted:

When did that new avatar come about?!? :swoon: hahah

Not too long after that picture of him all mumpsed up surfaced

• Locked thread