Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fancy stats are the present, not the future.

if you dig around on any stat guy twitter for a while, checking out who he retweets, you'll find hundreds of twitters of Canadian uni students studying all types of math related fields, all of whom just tweet out charts and stats and advanced analytical concepts. it is all they do for eight hours a day, churn out hockey stats into vaguely readable formats. there is some Chinese kid studying astrophysics who is doing some of the craziest analysis I've ever seen, but I lost his twitter account and can't remember where I found it.

pretty much, this shits going to be exploding within the next calendar year and you should hop on the bandwagon now, much like you should with the Islanders, future Stanley Cup champions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

eXXon posted:

Don't use behindthenet's 5v5 goal numbers. They count empty net goals, whereas hockeyanalysis/puckalytics don't.

Is there any other site with the fancy WOWY pages that hockeyanalysis has? Google WOWY <any player> and you'll see what I mean.

nobody else even publicly tracks WOWY, afaik. is there something you don't like about the way hockey analysis does it?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

at least they have fayne!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

right before the WC, writers were tripping over themselves in a rush to publish articles about how the novelty has not worn off despite the fact that it clearly had. I am glad that they were proven so wrong

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Lucic needs to go to Montreal to be with Dale Weise

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hey can someone break down for me why CF% is a bullshit stat becuase Beaulieu is tied for the lead on the Canadiens (only played 22 games vs 40 for the rest) and :lol: that can't be right.

If I'm reading properly his starts are evenly split between the 3 zones as well.

his FF% is even better! its a small enough sample that he might have propped his numbers up with a few really good games, is it really that unexpected that he would be a good possession player?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

speaking of FF%, let's have some Fun With Fenwick!

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201415&sit=5v5&type=fenwick&teamid=0&pos=defense&minutes=300&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Buffalo have 8 of the bottom 11 in FF%. Colorado have the remaining 3. Buffalo have iced eight players for 20 games a piece who are the absolute worst of the worst the NHL has to offer. their poor goaltenders

Nashville have 4 defensemen in the top 18 and none of them are Shea Weber. gently caress that bearded loser, all the way down at 82, sandwiched between two Oilers.

If you look down the list for Vancouver, you will find yourself just below the peak of a beautiful cliff at 24/25 with Tanev and Edler and suddenly you're falling and ohmygod ohmygod all the numbers are getting smaller and you keep bashing your head off of the rocks and bleeding everywhere and your body makes it close enough to the ground that they can at least recover the body

Jason garrison rules in Tampa bay and Jim Benning is a dumb shithead with a loser second grade haircut

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

evenworse username posted:

Beaulieu has been genuinely good since getting back into the lineup (perhaps, just perhaps, making the decision to send him down earlier look silly?) and although I don't know that this really affects CF or FF it may help him that he's on the second pairing and thus probably not matching up against the opponent's top line consistently.

He has been really solid though and if Therrien sits him for Allen or Weaver when they're back I am going to make a face.

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage.php?f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&f3=&f5=MTL&f4=D&f7=&bubbleType=corsiRel&yAxis=qoc&update-filters=Update+Results

he gets the second most favorable zone starts on the team behind PK which probably helps him more than anything who he matches up against. his QoC and relative QoC have a massive disparity, the former suggesting he plays the same competition as anyone else and the latter suggesting he's beating up on weak opponents. I don't know dick about what the adjusted stat is actually adjusting so I can't explain that at all.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

What is the biggest knock on Capuano? He is awful at developing young players/ran some of them out of town and his system kinda ignores defense, but considering the Islanders are fourth in the NHL in possession and 26-12-1, it's tough to say he's doing a bad job with the team this year. He's not even restraining Ryan Strome like he did his first two years and now Strome is a straight-up awesome player. And the 30th penalty kill is probably on whichever assistant coach handles that.

my theory is that Capuano is like the dark version of a Jack of All Trades. he isn't good at anything, he doesn't have a positive influence on anything, he is in fact Bad at everything, but none of it in so major a way that he looks like an outright boob, much like a JoAT will never look like a master of any of those.. but you put the sum of it all together and you find yourself with a dogshit coach who can't do anything right but is stacked with talent beyond belief so it doesn't matter

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

HBNRW posted:

You leave the Thrill out of this. Toronto is probably one of the few places a short, chubby, hockey player would have enough fans to make him feel good about himself.

I think Phil would find himself very at home in American where the Thin Privilege movement would praise and worship him

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Or he can just log in to tumblr and read all about fatshaming.

Before the morning skate, I was trying to bend over to tie my skates. Unfortunately, my cute little tummy gets in the way sometimes and no matter how much I grunted or groaned, I couldn't lean over far enough to tie them. So I did what I always do and crossed one leg on to my lap and started to tie! That's when I saw Komrade across the room, pointing right at me and laughing a deep belly laugh. I can't believe he would do that after I confided in him about how much anxiety I get when people insult my weight! Health at every size is real and I tried to tell him about some studies but he wasn't interested :( I tell you one thing for sure, he isn't my komrade anymore... I'm going to have to buy myself some triple chocolate fudge ice cream cake tonight to let loose these tears.

Thin privilege is not having to cross your legs to reach your feet.

#body positivity #fatshaming #plus size #thin privilege #trigger warning

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

for some reason I really want doan to be a canuck.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/SkinnyPPPhish/status/552515003639930880

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bewbies posted:

I'm going to call Ben Roethislsihlbierger a fat faced ugly stupid idiot rapist until he hangs himself because of CTE in his early 40s and I'm comfortable with this labeling.

don't forget graydicked

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I can 100% guarantee I will never be typing anything into google that involves professional athletes and their penis'.

he brought some girl back to his house and walked out of a bathroom completely naked and she described his dick as gray and ashy and he kicked her out for not putting out

if a Roberto luongo dick pic hit the internet tonight, I'd have it framed and hung in my living room by morning

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

marty and bobby both rule. may steve yzerman and john tarantella burn in hell for all eternity

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Levitate posted:

hurray a game tonight oh wait what it starts at 10:30 hahaha gently caress it I'm going to bed

I can barely follow the canucks anymore because I get pass out tired at 9:15 like a grandpa. west coast really is the best coast :(

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bobby lu is coming back to Vancouver tonight. there better be a kickass tribute video or I'm gonna get more drunker and angrier at the nucks than usual

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Lu's Vancouver pic looks like a mugshot or the after pic in an anti-drug ad. I hope the cats win tonight and he smiles even more.

if the canucks win I'm going to be upset. they don't deserve it tonight

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Levitate posted:

Man I don't think even AV loves Tanner Glass that much

it was honestly a shock that they didn't elope together during one of the offseasons

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Thufir posted:

This is a kind of interesting look at why Weber's advanced stats suck without Suter, though it's kind of fanboy-ish http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/12/16/eye-test-shea-webers-advanced-stats-show-he-misses-ryan-suter

Basically Josi is not big and mean enough to complement Weber in the way that Suter did.

Willy's not particularly bad, just bland.

this article is dogshit. there is a ton of evidence suggesting Shea Weber is declining or was carried by Ryan Suter, or at least suggesting something about Shea as a player. nothing about his stats suggest that the issue is with Roman Josi and attempting to shift it all on to him is ridiculous. the part where it talks about Weber passing it off to players who then might make mistakes is awful, because if those players are so mistake prone then Weber should adapt as a player and carry the puck more because it will benefit the team.

his Fenwick numbers cratered when Suter left and his iFenwick/60 is down 2+ points from his career average this season, his WOWY numbers suggest that he makes a lot of his teammates worse (Josi excluded), and there is probably a lot of good evidence as to why in the tape. unfortunately, when the guy looking at the tape is just looking to vindicate his favorite bearded D-man... I don't know if Weber sucks now, but I would have liked that article to give me an idea as to what's different for him instead of what's different about his partner.

e: also the answer to his hypothetical are Yes Yes Yes Yes, because the best defensemen adapt and change and if Shea Weber is capable of doing a better thing than he is doing but willfully doesn't do it, he is Stupid as gently caress.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd be curious to see specifics. RIP Capgeek.

http://www.spotrac.com is currently not loading for me, but is a pretty good replacement

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a couple of those teams made a brave effort for the first few games to inspire hope before the crushing defeat, but boy you gotta respect this year's Buffalo. they didn't cause their fans any grief, they sucked intensely from the first whistle. most fans would be blessed to have such an honest roster to not cheer for while you bandwagon other teams

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Choice of the Arena District/Downtown bars (within walking distance) and the Ohio State campus (about 5 minutes by car)? Good times ahead.

OSU pregnancy rates to dramatically spike after all star game

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

If you include 2004 the best three become Schneider, Edler and Hansen (all taken in 2004).

But yeah, the Canucks are horrendous at drafting. No one doubts that, yet fans continue to defend mindless low reward picks like Virtanen over Ehlers or Nylander (seriously, if Virtanen had been born in Regina there's no way he'd be a Canuck. We blew our highest pick since the Sedins on him entirely because he's from BC). 2013 was a distinct improvement going after players like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Subban and Cassels but they changed their mind again last year and went for toughness or whatever.

Just a stupid, stupid organization.

Jim Benning looks and acts like a brunette Brian Burke

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

People aren't allowed to root for more than one team because that increases their chances of seeing a team they like win the Stanley Cup, and that's not fair. All must know my pain.

I have my wife of two miserable decades, the Canucks; that girl from my hometown who I can never let go, the Blue Jackets; the new girl from work I'm trying to bandwagon, the Islanders; and the true love of my life where circumstances are keeping us apart, Roberto Luongo and whatever team he is on and it rules. now when I come home to the shittiest smelliest dinner of my life and it still has both eyes and they're loving crooked, I can go spend time with someone else

you can break the cycle of pain, thinktank. join the darkside, the ranks of multi-fandom.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

why didn't anyone ever do that to Matt Cooke

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

one of these numbers doesn't fit, I just can't tell which one

Ryan Biech @ryanbiech
Since Nov 9 - Eddie Lack is 3-3-2 with 1.95 GAA and 0.929 S%. #Canucks

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yeah it includes tonight. Vancouver is scoring 1.77 goals per game in support of Lack in those games

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

@TravisHeHateMe
Pretty good asset management by ARI w/ Dubnyk here. Pick a guy up after downtick, let him play and regress, trade for something useful.

they signed him for "terms undisclosed" aka dick and poo poo and got a third rounder out of that, which is like three rounds higher than anyone should pay. Minnesota dumb

LumpyGumby posted:

In other goalie news, Brodeur has been given a week absence from the Blues.

he requested the absence to ponder his future. I would really like for some ultra-paparazzi guy to set up a 24/7 snuff-film-esque feed of Martin Brodeur's next two weeks off hockey, alone in a room crying, alternately drinking whisky straight from the bottle and holding a gun to his head screaming "JUST PULL THE TRIGGER, YOU FAT poo poo"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Last time when the news broke it said that Johnson still wasn't willing to sue his parents or anything. Just the people who gave them the loans.

I wonder if he even can take any legal action against his parents since they got him to sign over all of his rights so early on

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

from @TSNAnalytics
SCF is scoring chances for

Bottom 5 SCF% > 300 mins
1. M. Malhotra 30.4
2. N. Deslauriers 31.9
3. D. Stafford 33.5
4. J. Gorges 33.8
5. B. Bollig 33.9

Top 5 SCF% > 300 mins
1. C. Wilson 61.8
2. P. Bergeron 61.3
3. V. Hedman 60.6
4. R. Sheahan 60.0
5. T. Jurco 59.6

Manny can't even outplay Buffalo people :(

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Heaf posted:

Here's Bobby Lu's whole take on the thing

gently caress john tortorella

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Scott Gomez has 16 points in 23 games.

Also, for those of you who really stupidly doubted Cory Schneider's ability to be a No. 1 goaltender, he's now firmly a .920

no surprise that Adam Oates was able to turn the ginger back into a good netminder, nobody knows goalie play better than him

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

someone convince me not to bid thousands of dollars on Luongo's bench-worn Heritage Classic gear. I've never been much into the sports collectibles game, but there will never be as unique a piece to my Canucks fandom as the gear that my favorite all time player had on when our loser shithead of a coach ended his Vancouver career.

i already talked myself into the $150 I will end up spending on a Yanick Weber jersey to set on fire

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a false posted:

the Florida panthers hockey club needs you

we don't want him

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It's still hilarious to me that the entire 2011 draft thread past the top 5 or so was full of fans, whose only exposure to most players was their basic stats, going "I hope my team isn't stupid enough to draft Tyler Biggs" until eventually a team of professionals whose combined salary was several million dollars went "WE GOTTA TRADE UP CAN'T MISS THIS KID"

Also looking back at that draft, the second round and late first round really belong to teams that have good euro scouting. Also NHL central scouting is a total joke.

Lawson Crouse is this year's Biggs, hoping that Burke takes him but my heart knows that Nonis is already circling his name with a heart in the margins of his leafs trapper keeper.

is there pretty much no chance of Nonis getting canned?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

didn't you hear? Crosby is going to miss the all star game.

2018 ASG to feature a new Crosby triathlon event, featuring diving, slewfooting, and crosschecking people from behind while a referee is in between you and he. for any and all tiebreakers, its a post concussion syndrome endurance test where they lock you in a closet with a strobe light on and see how long until you go into a seizure

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Johnny Gaudreau and Aaron Ekblad are replacing Crosby and Erik Johnson at the ASG.

Really taking 'some stars' to another level this year.

I like johnny hockey and ekblad enough that I, for at least a full 45 seconds, thought about watching the game just for them. that's more than most other all star announcements would get out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know how they'd use Go-Pro in actual games unless they build them into the helmets somehow. I mean they'd have to be able to withstand the rigors of a game.

it would finally get matt cooke out of the league, because every elbow would be subject to punishment for attempt to injure and destruction of evidence. im all for it

• Locked thread