Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Perron to the Pens for a 1st rounder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I mean he's right, but yeah it's probably not his place. Kassian is a fairly run of the mill skilled fourth line forward if he's not using his strength. He's about as effective as Matthias with the way he's chosen to play this year. I don't get people's fascination with him, he's a pretty unspectacular player and if he's not being physical he's a total non factor. He's out of the lineup because he's been our 13th best forward so this year.

Still, I'm not opposed to Benning publicly criticising him. If that doesn't light a fire under his rear end nothing will.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

every time kassian tries to hit someone he becomes replacement level. he's a perimeter playmaker not a ducking power forward

Getzlaf doesn't blow people up and everyone considers him a power forward. Learning to out muscle defenders and fight your way to the front of the net is crucial for him because he's not skilled enough to be a pure set up man from the outside. He plays like Taylor Pyatt lite right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Outdoor games are a thing for ownership mostly. They're a massive one time injection of capital in terms of ticket sales, one time advertising agreements and merchandise sales. On top of that they are generally nationally televised. The promise of an outdoor game is a bargaining chip for the league when an owner is being stubborn over something (like Leonsis was during CBA negotiations). The novelty has certainly worn off and TV ratings won't be amazing from here on out, but they still do way better than a similar game on NBC. Networks love them for that reason too as it's a good ratings boost to start their hockey coverage each year. Just like everything else in sports, the fans and the "spirit of the game" crap are the last thing anyone cares about. So long as they make money they will continue to exist.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Capgeek Nooooo! How will I kill time at work now???

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canada > Russia

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MLSE is such a weird organization. After all the crap the team has been through these last few years with no major changes, why do they make a move mid-season during their best year in a while? I realize they've been slumping for a while, but this feels like a knee-jerk thing at best. Not that Carlyle is a good coach or anything (because he's not), but I'm really not sure this was the time to make this move.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

As for why now instead of earlier? Platitudes about Shanahan wanting to give Carlyle a chance with non-punchmen which aren't very convincing.

That's mostly my point. If Shanahan felt he wasn't their guy from the start of the season, why wait until January to fire him? Now the Leafs are forced to make a quick hire mid-season rather than using the summer to interview a bunch of candidates and find the right fit. This isn't a situation where a very good team is in desperate need of a kick in the rear end or a very bad team needs a complete directional change. The Leafs were and remain a middle of the pack playoff bubble type and I don't think any coach on the market is going to come in and correct things straight away. As moronic as Carlyle was, I think hanging onto him until the end of the season would've been the best idea. Only time will tell I guess.

At least this will put to bed the Babcock to Toronto rumours for a couple years.

Who are the front runners here? Bylsma and Tortorella? That's pretty slim pickings imo.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 6, 2015

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Vicas posted:

I smell an Official Interim Coach for exactly this reason

For 6-8 months? If Carlyle had been fired in March or April maybe, but I really doubt the Leafs are going to leave some AHL scrub in limbo for half a year on the off chance the Red Wings can't re-sign Babs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

for some reason I really want doan to be a canuck.

Vancouver was his second choice when he went UFA a couple years ago (word was it was very close), However, at $5.3M this year and next for a 38 year old forward I want nothing to do with him. Doan of 6 years ago was great, the Shane Doan of today is a washed up has been trading on his somewhat puzzling reputation as a great leader.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

He's got that grit Neely loves, time to force through a terrible decision!

Edit:
"PIT, BOS, MON, SJS and...wait for it...EDM - have all put in a serious offer for Shane Doan."

I understand exactly zero of those team's motivations.

@krufrank is the Eklund of Vancouver. Don't take anything he says as even remotely based on reality outside of guesswork.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They have an agreement in place with the CHL that once a player is sent down to junior they can't be called back up that season except on an emergency basis.

Correct, although it's until the end of each particular junior team's season not the entire season. Once a junior team's season is over any player assigned to them with an NHL contract is free to be recalled by the NHL club and assigned to the NHL or AHL regardless of age restrictions (which is why you sometimes see 18/19 year old players with 5 or 6 games in the AHL one season even though they would otherwise be too young). However, the Remparts are hosting the memorial cup this year so their season won't be over until late May and there's a very low chance the Rangers will still be in the playoffs by then, and if they are they're unlikely to want to throw a teenager to the Wolves in the cup final.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Toronto Stuff

For more 'touristy' things to do, St. Lawrence Market is always a good bet. It's a traditional style indoor market and you can get tons of great food there (peameal bacon sandwiches are a Toronto staple that have to be experienced at least once).

Kensington Market is fantastic as well, but it's not all that much fun in February because it's mostly outdoors. Ditto for Toronto Island and High Park.

Ripley's Aquarium is a fairly generic aquarium, but it's not bad if you can find a cheap ticket somehow. Every 'what to do in Toronto' list includes Casa Loma, don't bother with it. It's out of the way and not in the least bit interesting unless you like small mock castles in the middle of an otherwise generic north american city.

The Distillery District is fun, although that's better closer to Christmas when they turn it into a Christmas market thing.

As you're a hockey fan I can't recommend the Hockey Hall of Fame enough. It's fairly close to the ACC and is a great way to kill a few hours and geek out about hockey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Interesting article but man, what?

quote:

Since NCAA players lose college eligibility if they declare for the NHL Draft, they do not typically opt-in to the draft until age 21 or 22. The NCAA league difficulty is not then affected by the skills improvement seen in teenage players.

This is categorically untrue. 18 year old college players are eligible for the NHL draft and regularly return to afterwards. NCAA hockey players only lose their eligibilty when they SIGN with a professional team, not when they're drafted unlike the NFL. 21 and 22 year olds can't even be drafted into the NHL. They become UFAs upon completion of college if their rights aren't owned by any professional team. What a weird error to make.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is excellent

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In case Canuck fans needed even more reason to hate John Tortorella:

Roberto Luongo posted:

“There’s no hiding that, I did want to play [in the Heritage Classic],” said Luongo. “And if I had played it I might still be here, who knows?"

gently caress you Torts.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Jamieson+Luongo+even+more+laid+back+Florida/10706844/story.html

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Torts is the villain here. The crowd were actually chanting for Lou to start. What a stupid move.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Do you really want your coach to factor the fans into his decisions

If he's a terrible coach, then yes.

Although I've always wanted to see a player just immediately spin and whip the puck on net regardless of where he was on the ice when the crowd starts yelling SHOOOOOOTTT just to see what happens. Would they cheer or boo him?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

By posing this question, I think you know my answer.

Of course Yzerman's reputation as a leader is built primarily on the three Stanley Cups he lead his team to. Then again, I'd argue that one of the qualities of a great leader is being on a winning team and performing when it matters most (as Yzerman did). If he hadn't done that he'd have been viewed as something like Sundin, a great captain of a team that just couldn't get it done. However, take away someone's career defining accomplishments and it does tend to skew people's perceptions of them somewhat. Remove Messier's cup with the Rangers and he goes from having an award for leadership named after him to some guy who played second fiddle to Gretzky.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My dad told me a story that the Messier guarantee was basically made public by someone overhearing Mess say that at a bar. Is that true? :allears:

Nah, he said it during a media scrum.

quote:

It’s now two decades since Messier sat in his stall in the Rye Playland practice facility and told about a dozen reporters, “We’re going to go in there and win Game 6. We know we’re going to go in and win Game 6 and bring it back for Game 7.”

http://nypost.com/2014/05/24/mark-messier-regretted-the-guarantee-until-he-didnt/

Apparently he meant it more as a way to fire up his teammates and didn't really think of the implications at the time. He regretted it upon seeing it splashed across newspaper headlines the following day.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 7, 2015

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

bobby lu is coming back to Vancouver tonight. there better be a kickass tribute video or I'm gonna get more drunker and angrier at the nucks than usual

There will be. He's arguably the beset player in franchise history, there will be a couple tributes, at least one standing ovation and near constant Lou-ing. For all the crap he took, he was quite popular.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He looks older in Vancouver.

He's playing ten years younger in Florida too. As depressing as it is, I think the trade was the best thing for him. He's good enough to be in the hall, all he needs is the personal accolades. He has a better chance of winning a Vezina in Florida than in Vancouver, and if he doesn't win a cup with the Panthers he can always be a deadline rental in a few year's time. He really deserves more recognition as one of the most talented goaltenders of his generation, and likely all time.

Miss ya Lou. :smith:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

He really did just immediately go back to putting up elite numbers the second he left Vancouver, Schneider is having a good year too.

He put up fantastic numbers the entire time he was in Vancouver aside from the lockout season when he backed up Schneider. Lack only replaced him for a few games last year because he went into a slump and Torts decided he had no confidence in him for some reason.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luongo was pissed on and jerked around by the team for two straight years and promised to be traded on multiple occasions. MSL had his feelings hurt because he felt he was entitled to a spot on Team Canada because Yzerman managed both teams. One was an ongoing period of alienation from the team that took place over several seasons, the other was a brief spat that was resolved in a few weeks. There is no comparison between the two situations other than the fact that they both asked for trades.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Uh, pretty sure there were rumors that St Louis and Yzerman had been at odds for a lot longer than just a few weeks. I don't really want to go back through all of that but at the very least St Louis had wanted to leave Tampa at some point several years ago and Yzerman convinced him to stay. While the Team Canada thing is part of it I'm sure, I"m also sure there was a lot more to it.

There was a trade request in 2009, but St. Louis was convinced to stay (this was pre-Yzerman though). And according to this beat guy who claims he had an off the record with St. Louis the primary motivating factor was the Team Canada snub and he'd still be in Tampa if not for it.

quote:

Yes, there were family considerations and career ramifications, but St. Louis would still be in Tampa Bay if he had not been initially left off the Canadian Olympic team by Team Canada executive director and Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman.

That's it. That's pretty much what it was all about. Being left off the Canadian Olympic team by Yzerman.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/marty-st-louis-was-anyone-more-loyal/2183737

quote:

Also people give Luongo a pass because of his twitter account let's be completely honest

No doubt and Luongo was hardly blameless. He acted fairly childlike at times, but then again I think in the end he was justified in asking to be moved. St. Louis just seemed to want to get out and jumped at the first reasonable opportunity to ask for a trade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Remember cackling with glee as no name Chicago reporters made Lu listen to Chelsea Dagger on headphones?

This also didn't happen, it was a Global BC thing and Luongo doesn't appear in it. Unless there was some other instance where reporters played Chelsea dagger to the Canucks that I'm unaware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cV688Fi-g

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hirez posted:

I mean it's not a super baby move, he was the current Art Ross winner the previous season (and used the Norris winner like a 4th line scrub..., and pretty sure his stats in the first few months were probably good but I didn't really follow it.

Team Canada has a policy of prioritizing players that have represented Canada at lesser tournaments in the past. St. Louis hadn't appeared in the WC since 2009 despite several opportunities to do so, he was the only forward not to play for team Canada at the World Championships in the 2010s (among those that were available, obviously players like Crosby did not because he was in the playoffs every year). Stamkos went in 2010 and 2013, so it stands to reason that St. Louis was asked both times too.

Hockey Canada is not an offshoot of the NHL, it's designed to encourage and grow hockey in Canada. Like the Russian World Junior team shying away from CHL trained players, they gave preferential treatment to players that represented their own interests most frequently in the past (which explains why Bouwmeester and Hamhuis were on the team). Subban was in a similar boat as he'd played one game for Team Canada since the WJCs (2013 - although he got injured at that tournament so it's not entirely his fault).

You may disagree with the policy (and I certainly do), but that's the stance Team Canada has and I'm sure St. Louis had that explained to him. If you repeatedly turn down invites to the WCs, you can't expect to then be an automatic selection for Team Canada at the age of 39, regardless of NHL performance.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

:lol: Oilers. How on earth could a team be on pace for less than 60 points in a 3 point regulation win world?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Tom Renney is a good coach and the Oilers should have kept him. He did well by that Rangers roster. Babcock picking him as his associate coach says enough I think.

There was nothing wrong with Ralph Kreuger either. The Oilers were looking like they were improving for the first time in years under him, then they inexplicably fired him after one season because the new sexy hire of Dallas Eakins came available. All that team needs is a bit of stability and a firm hand with the younger players. Not that it's a particularly original thought, but man what a terribly managed organization.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Krueger sucked.

He was no Scotty Bowman but the team was trending in the right direction in terms of possession statistics and points in the standings. He actually got decent production out of Schultz and Yak, and both Hall and Gagner had good seasons. Perhaps he was propped up a bit by Dubnyk inexplicably posting a .921S%, but he was far from a bad coach. He was certainly better than Eakins and whatever Pat Quinn was in his season with the Oilers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

By the time that his Rangers' contract expires, Tanner Glass will have made nearly $10,000,000 USD playing professional hockey. Let that sink in for a second.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

That contract actually worked out because Sather packaged it with Chris Higgins in the runoff from the Gomez-McDonagh trade: two salary dumps, Brandon Prust, and a rental of Olli Jokinen. While looking up trade details, I found my new favorite Sather trade, even better than Scott Gomez for Ryan McDonagh.

On June 30, 2003, the Rangers traded the rights to Mark Messier to the San Jose Sharks for future considerations, which turned out to be a fourth-round pick in 2004, with which they selected Ryan Callahan. Messier re-signed with the Rangers a few days later.

On the same day, the rights to Brian Leetch were traded to the Oilers for Jussi Markkanen and a 4th. Leetch, a UFA, signed with the Leafs. The year before, he traded the rights to Mike Richter for a fourth, which was used to select Corey Potter. Richter also re-signed with the Rangers a few days later.

That's even more of a :psyduck: than trading Olli Jokinen for Olli Jokinen. The Flames traded Brandon Prust for Olli Jokinen, re-signed both in the off-season, then traded both of them together, then re-signed Jokinen in the off-season.

I'm sorta surprised that the trend of trading pending UFAs for draft picks has died out so much. It wasn't too long ago that the rights to Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell bagged the Preds a first round pick. I guess the negotiation period they have now makes it's less valuable, but I still feel like it's a pretty good way for teams to acquire legitimate talents fairly cheap. The only one I can think of occurring last year was the Oilers getting Nikitin from the Jackets for a 4th.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thank you for reminding me about the 20 lovely games the Canucks got out of Martin Rucinsky for the then fairly highly touted prospect that was RJ Umberger just because Ryan Kesler didn't like the guy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

I could be wildly wrong about this but didn't teams used to get a compensatory draft pick if they traded a for a guy and couldn't sign him and he became an UFA? Like, I could be so wildly wrong that I should just shut up but it would make sense that there used to be more trades like that if both sides got something even if the player didn't sign with the team he was traded to.

But in any case, the Isles traded for Halak's rights last year and did the same with Vishnovsky too I believe as well as at least one other guy that didn't sign with them I think

I can't remember there ever being compensation for anything other than RFAs as far back as I can remember, but then again I wasn't exactly in tune with the ins and outs of NHL business practice in the mid-nineties being a small child and all.

quote:

To be honest Ryan Kesler sounds like a annoying loving shithead

And you wouldn't be wrong about that, he was a pretty special player in his prime though. Umberger and Kesler were teammates at Ohio State, Kesler was a couple years younger but signed his contract sooner than Umberger. Umberger was a higher draft pick and was (at the time) seen as a better player, and tried to argue that he deserved more money than Kesler. Burke played hardball with him and Umberger sat out a season, and Kesler (supposedly) refused to play with him because Umberger hurt his feelings saying he was better than Kesler. Rather than try and smooth things over, Burke traded Umberger for a washed up rental and the Canucks have spent the last decade trying (and largely failing) to draft another big centre like him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Honestly I'm guessing they picked Henrik first and he declined.

I think you're giving the Allstar voters a bit too much credit there. They sayw "Vrbata many goals, Sedins less many goals ergo Vrbata to Allstar game."

Not that it really matters, I forget that the Allstar game happens about a week afterwards. It's actually kinda annoying because it means several days with no games during the worst part of winter.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The Leafs are bring Nylander over from MODO, presumably to play with the Marlies. It would be nice if this prefigures a Bozak trade, even if not until the offseason.

Meanwhile Jake Virtanen has the 3rd lowest PPG among CHL forwards drafted in the first round last year (11th out of 14, I am excluding Bennet here) and just injured his other shoulder.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Gold medal, though.

Good point, we don't need that LOSER Nik Ehlers bumming the rest of our prospects out with his 2.12ppg.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

who's below him?

23rd overall: Connor Bleackley 39pts in 40 games
30th overall: John Quenneville 29pts in 35 games

Yeah...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The fact that sorting first time draft eligible CHL forwards by PPG and selecting from the top of the list down is a more efficient method of scouting for most teams than flying people around the globe to watch them tells you all you need to know about NHL scouting.

Also, has anyone done any research into what actually makes up a good bottom six player? A quick glance at most teams seems to indicate that there aren't any more 'big' players in most team's bottom two lines than there are in their top six.

I really hate drafting for size, and god drat do I ever despise the Canucks drafting. They actually tried shifting away from their penchant for taking tall fat guys in 2013, but then Benning came in and we went back to drafting useless plugs for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Paul Kariya is in the Mighty Ducks 2. I think by law they should be required.

He is the only actual player that appeared in D2 that isn't in the HHoF, and Chelios is the only other one who's number has yet to be retired.

• Locked thread