Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I like the Isles well enough, but I've watched the Caps collapse in the playoffs enough times to be skeptical about teams deemed The Real Deal (tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jagr is cool and good.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Not even one mention of Brodeur in these top 10s? Um, hello?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

That Caps-Panthers game last night was weird as gently caress.

Somehow the Panthers didn't score on the ensuing 2 on 0, but then managed to put it in once the defense got back?

Then there was Ovechkin shoulder-checking Luongo out of the game, Hotlby with a puck in his jersey, Bjugstad's goal, which was disgusting and badly needs a gif.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

"Leafs Twitter posted:

Randy Carlyle relieved of his duties by #Leafs.

READ: http://bit.ly/14s0MMY #TMLtalk

It finally happened.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jagr for Kessel straight-up.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

That actually happens. There are also times when strategic changes in-season lead to big changes in result, like when the Pens canned Therrien for Bylsma and had their corsi just like 10 points (and then win the Cup). I think Washington might have seen a similar explosion when they hired Boudreau.

What about when a team fires a good systems coach and then hires like... two co-coaches, and the GM is also coaching kind of? Teams have been successful doing that before, right?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Spamtron7000 posted:

Last 30 seconds of the Kuznetsov after game interview - Ovi is hilarious.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/evgeny-kuznetsov-postgame-1-7-15

Ovechkin: "You can't speak English. Kuzy let's go."

He's right. Poor guy can't speak English.

I didn't realize how truly ugly Kuznetsov was.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ugh, this is Elias' worst season ever, what is he doing in the ASG.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Brain Curry posted:

@TGfireandice: Elias said he feels bad for players from other teams who deserve to be all-stars and aren't "because of a slug like me."

@TGfireandice: Patrik Elias says he doesn't deserve to go to all-star game and no one on Devils does with season they've had, but it's "a privilege" to go.

Poor Patty.

He's spot on, but you gotta love him for being so humble.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

I don't know if this fits better in this thread or the non-NHL one but whatever

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-nhl-has-a-scouting-problem/

So we all know that there is a problem in scouting with looking for GRITNHUSTLE or the star eyes of destiny or whatever, but NHL central scouting gets absolutely destroyed by the potato method. With individual teams, that's easier to understand, but for some reason it seems like a bigger deal with NHLCS.

That was a really fun read. Now I want one for the Devils and Caps.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

mich posted:

Everyone says this but gonna repeat that Trotz just seems like the best dude. There's a local sub shop here that was his usual game day routine lunch stop and I was having lunch there today. As I sit down with my sandwiches he walks in and warmly greets all the people who work there who are pretty happy to see him. Before he left he made a point to go back to the counter to say bye to the staff.

He and some other coaches and staff were sitting at a table next to me so I couldn't help overhearing them talk about a bunch of hockey stuff. They think Carter Hutton is going to be fine with Pekka out and think the team hasn't played well enough in front of him the times he has played. I hope so too! :v:

Which sub shop, out of curiosity?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

mich posted:

Yeah. Before I moved to Nashville I didn't follow hockey (or any other sports) much at all. We went to a Preds game because we were curious to check it out, and became big fans after going to a couple more and starting to follow the team from there. If the arena was in a suburb and not in such a great spot downtown, I'm really not sure if we'd have ever bothered going to a game, or maybe we would have gone to just one game and never gone back.

The free tickets era for the Panthers was amazing when I lived down there, but Sunrise is a blackhole backwater on the edge of the Everglades and there is no reason to go there ever.

The Verizon Center, by contrast, is heaven.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

In Lou we fear?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I also enjoyed this bit:

quote:

Team Toews, instead of following Foligno's lead and taking one of his three available Blackhawks teammates who are in Columbus, decided to right a previous wrong.

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel, who was the last pick at the first All-Star Fantasy Draft in Carolina in 2011, was a first-round pick this time.

Toews said he and alternate captains Ryan Getzlaf of the Anaheim Ducks and Rick Nash of the New York Rangers wanted to give Kessel the feeling of being picked at the other end of the draft.

But Toews also said there were other factors at play in picking Kessel.

"The three of us were just talking, and he's one of the most coachable players out there," Toews said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

So are we going to have to wait until much closer to the deadline before we start hearing serious Jagrchat?

I love the guy, but it's hard not to be looking to the future as a Devils fan, SO win notwithstanding.

• Locked thread