Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
is the game being pushed back or not :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

So I was going through some teat stats yesterday and was blown away that the Rangers are currently tied for fourth in the NHL with the Islanders in goals per game. What the gently caress?

If their defense and goaltending was worth a poo poo to start the season they'd be comfortably first in their division. It's taken until recently for them to really start playing like they're capable of (though they also have had a fairly easy schedule through December).

Their offense in the second half of last year was actually also good, I think top ten compared to everyone else during that same period. They are honestly surprisingly a good offensive team.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sedative posted:

Del Zotto got his neck cut by a skate on his first shift last night. His first shift after being scratched for nine straight games.

He took pictures http://instagram.com/p/xUrxb6QAx8/

He was also cut badly by Malkin's skate years ago in his side/chest area. Dude probably has some wicked scars

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aphrodite posted:

The web voting for the All Star Game is dumber than Martin Brodeur on a video game cover.

No way, Zemgus Girgensons and his 20 points surely deserve to be the star attraction at the all-star game

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

drat Perron makes the Pens better which is not something I"m particularly happy about

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The NHL is trying to establish the Winter Classic as a once per year spectacle that all kinds of fans will tune into not just fans of the two teams playing which isn't a bad idea and from my view of things it's no less interesting to watch than the first one because honestly I didn't give a poo poo about the teams involved in the first ones and I don't really give a poo poo about the Caps and Hawks but it's something interesting to watch on an afternoon

I guess I'm just saying I'm not really drawn by the "novelty" factor so much that I think once was unique and everything after that is dumb. Other people may feel differently, that's fine. What the NHL is trying to do isn't something that would be possible just by having the Winter Classic every once and awhile, it doesn't do them any good or make them significantly more money to just have it happen every 5 years or something

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tanner Glass another healthy scratch :monocle:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers are top 3 in the league in goals per game and 7th in goals against per game and generally top 10 in most good team stats (except some faceoffs and their shots per game is kind of low).Even their power play is now 10th in the league . Fairly remarkable turn around from a crappy start but they've had a fairly soft schedule lately so hopefully they carry this over into the tough California road trip they have coming up.

Kind of surprised me that around this time last year (35 game) their record was markedly worse than it is this year. Guess I'm just used to remembering their good second half and not how much they struggled at first last year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tailored Sauce posted:

Rangers/Sabres first period was ridiculous.

Sabres take a bad tripping penalty. Result? Brassard scores on the powerplay and Ted Nolan takes a bench minor for yelling at the ref. The puck looked to hit the netting but wasn't called deep in the Sabres zone.

Kreider scores on the Rangers' second powerplay. Result? On Kreider's skate in for the goal he gets hooked. On the Rangers' third powerplay, Nash scores. All of this in a span of about two and a half minutes.

It was glorious

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

juche mane posted:

Why was the penalty assessed to Krieder? They scored on the play.

it wasn't it was assessed to some dumb Sabres player

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

juche mane posted:

Don't know why I had so much trouble parsing that question.

let me try again.

How could Krieder (or any NYR on the ice for that matter) draw a penalty on a scoring play?

Oh, the Rangers were on a power play when Kreider scored, but the Sabres took another penalty during the act of him scoring. So the goal wiped out the current power play but the Sabres still had to pay for the penalty they took trying to keep Kreider from scoring.

Scoring one goal doesn't wipe out two penalties so the Rangers went back on the power play.

Also Bourque blows he couldn't even win a cup without being traded to a stacked team.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

Looks an awful lot like Brad Richards' goal from last night, be he was on the other side. Puck had no business going in but Lehtonen just couldn't squeeze his arm to his body fast enough.

Holtby wasn't square and hugging the post which is somewhat reasonable since you usually dont' expect someone to shoot from there but there was space between him and the post near his knee as well so really I'm just going to say Holtby bad

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

they're not totally wrong but I've heard Canadian broadcasts mess up poo poo before too. To some extent it's hard to do a national broadcast and just magically know everything about every player and it's not like Brian Engblom hasn't been doing hockey stuff for as long as pretty much any hockey media person

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

How long until the Dallas Stars twitter/scoreboard person puts out something really offensive/racist, doubles down on it in an attempt to be edgy, then has to offer an apology and gets turned back into boring stats updates

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Also: Alexander Ovechkin 5 on 5 is the most dominant possession player in the league.

Considering how many shots he takes this isn't even vaguely surprising. He has taken 186 shots, which leads the league by 26 over the next player (Seguin).

So, yeah, guy who shoots a huge amount more than anyone else in the league is going to dominate a stat based completely on shot attempts. That's not even counting all the shots of his that get blocked or miss the net obviously.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Is the Leafs roster really good enough to turn it around with a different coach though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers send Duclair back to the Q

Probably the right decision, the team is playing well and they'd have to be shoehorning him into a bottom six role with sheltered minutes. He got a taste, got to practice with the NHL team for months, then won a WJC gold and gets to go back and compete for the Memorial Cup this season. Overall maybe a better development year than just sitting in the Q all year long (I think getting a taste of the NHL and practicing with NHL players probably did him a lot of good but ultimately he needs more playing time than the Rangers are prepared to give him this year)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hahahah yeahhhhhh the rumors of Kessel also being on his way out because he doesn't "fit" are already up and running

probably lovely reporting though and speculation, but still

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Koopa Kid posted:

Who's saying this? If it's Simmons or Watters or Feschuk then they're certifiably making poo poo up. Nonis implied heavily in his presser that the Leafs weren't making roster moves any time soon.

I think McLean was speculating that Shanahan would have "a hard time" moving core players that don't fit in, like Kessel and Phaneuf. So, I probably jumped the gun on laughing about it, sorry.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hand Knit posted:

On a slightly different note, the NHL is going to test drive player tracking tech at the allstar game.

maybe this will finally provide us with the data to prove that Tanner Glass is really bad at hockey. It's been so difficult to prove up until now.

xzzy posted:

I hope that long term they can offer the data as a stream so nerds like me can have fun piping it into a 3D simulation and recreate the game in real time.

Maybe it could be EA's bombshell new feature for their next game, watch live games from any angle!

(as long as you don't care if the actual player animations match the real world)

Hell yeah don't even have to actually watch games anymore just watch statistical representations of players move around the screen and accumulate data. Pretty soon with enough data we can just do away with athletes and sim the whole thing.

DOOMocrat posted:

Apparently Doan asked for a trade and was told no and is furious about it. Dave Tippett sounds like a guy that wants to be fired in all of his recent pressers. With the five year out clause, the team saying "gently caress this poo poo" and goaltending falling apart... it's gotta be a hard time to be a Coyotes fan, somehow harder than usual.

What a baby.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

.Spec posted:

Here we goooooo!

:allears:

e: I mean, you can only rely on Kessel to score 30-40 goals per season THAT"S IT

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

What is the biggest knock on Capuano? He is awful at developing young players/ran some of them out of town and his system kinda ignores defense, but considering the Islanders are fourth in the NHL in possession and 26-12-1, it's tough to say he's doing a bad job with the team this year. He's not even restraining Ryan Strome like he did his first two years and now Strome is a straight-up awesome player. And the 30th penalty kill is probably on whichever assistant coach handles that.

six of those wins are shootout wins and therefor don't count :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

.Spec posted:

Doan for Kessel straight up, everyone involved gets what they deserve.

what'd kessel ever do to deserve that? he's already been laboring in a hellhole for years

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ahahah goddamn

What a loving rear end in a top hat reporter and good on Phil

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

evenworse username posted:

Ron Wilson: "When you're behind the Leafs bench, you're not always thinking as clearly as you'd like to"

Someone embroider that on a pillow.

It's the hot brain.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Would Boston be dangling Lucic in return?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I defend MSL because he helped the Rangers get to the finals which is cool and good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

it'd be real solid for him to choke this year for us to get a better draft pick, truly, but also a TBL/NYR playoff series would be so much cooler than any other playoff series yeah i wrote cooler

I like that the Rangers have figured out how to score on Ben Bishop this year finally but still haven't figured out how to hold the Lightning to under 5 goals. Halfway there I guess

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Toronto hockey media is the loving worst goddamn

Larry Brooks would just be another average reporter up there

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

watching hockey fans trying to pin it all on kessel and calling him a lazy fat shithead who's responsible for all of Toronto's ills is fun tow atch

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

triplexpac posted:

Well what would YOU blame? Paying guys like Clarkson over 5 mil? C'mon

Roman Polak plays like 20 minutes per night

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thufir posted:

Well that sounds like probably a huge waste of money.

That does indeed describe the Toronto Maple Leafs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

who's that stupid looking guy on the left

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

They can join the NHL team after their CHL season is over, but since Quebec is hosting the Memorial Cup this season and has a free bye into the tournament regardless of how they finish the season, it's likely that he'll still be playing for awhile after the normal end of the season.

e: you fucker

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't know about the past year or so but generally the OHL and WHL have "caught up" to the Q and it's not really a much higher scoring league anymore.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Minnesota Wild having extreme meltdown, sticks thrown, Yeo left after smashing stick, Kuemper sick or injured, Koivu smashed stick and injured self, holy gently caress

during practice?

e: lol it is during practice, hahaha

Also did we talk about Shane Doan being a giant baby shithead and slew footing Berglund for no reason other than his completely lovely rear end team was losing badly and his career is almost over and overall was a failure?

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 7, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He beat the poo poo out of that record

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Torts obviously really never gave a poo poo about the job and took it for the paycheck.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I could also be crazy and poo poo but to some extent there's probably a certain amount of these stats not being entirely predictive either. Minnesota starting off last year with good possession stats and then ending the year with mediocre possession stats means to me that overall they just weren't a terribly good team not that it's some strange thing that they fell off during the season because their stats at the beginning totally show they should have been better.

The point where I'd find it odd is if you had several years of good possession stats by essentially the same team and then a down year where they were struggling (still essentially with the same team)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hurray a game tonight oh wait what it starts at 10:30 hahaha gently caress it I'm going to bed

• Locked thread