Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I've always been bad at drawing people looking down, so I tried that today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Got some colored pencils for the holidays, this was the perfect excuse to bust em out.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 402 days!

Revol posted:

What do you think changed for you? What are you doing different?

Well, I started painting - I'd never used mixer brushes before, just really basic GIMP poo poo (horrible, don't do it), so I'm just working out how to use the tools. I'd especially appreciate advice on use of color and lighting; I don't feel that I've got a good handle on it. I'd like to be able to put work out more quickly, and so it would really help if I wasn't basically repainting everything three times until I work out something that I think looks passable.

Here's another, from last week - this was the first thing I ever painted in photoshop, with skullboy there being the second.

Even working off a photo, I redid this so many times to get the lighting right enough

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I haven't drawn from imagination for ages.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

wesley snypes posted:

Well, I started painting - I'd never used mixer brushes before, just really basic GIMP poo poo (horrible, don't do it), so I'm just working out how to use the tools. I'd especially appreciate advice on use of color and lighting; I don't feel that I've got a good handle on it. I'd like to be able to put work out more quickly, and so it would really help if I wasn't basically repainting everything three times until I work out something that I think looks passable.

Here's another, from last week - this was the first thing I ever painted in photoshop, with skullboy there being the second.

Even working off a photo, I redid this so many times to get the lighting right enough

The lighting in the painting looks nice, good job! Looks like Norway. For an easier time: Put a layer making your painting and ref b/w on top, hide it, and pull it out when you need to check your values. You can use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with saturation all the way down or a grey layer with the blend mode set to Color, I think they should give the same result. It's superpowers. Also superpowers: avoid soft brushes. Use a large brush with low flow (I've heard up to 60%, I use 5-10%) instead, it's great. It was a moment of "huh, so that's how they do it" when I found out about it. With it you can blend colors without getting the out-of-focus look.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

blilb

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

noggut posted:

The lighting in the painting looks nice, good job! Looks like Norway. For an easier time: Put a layer making your painting and ref b/w on top, hide it, and pull it out when you need to check your values. You can use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with saturation all the way down or a grey layer with the blend mode set to Color, I think they should give the same result. It's superpowers. Also superpowers: avoid soft brushes. Use a large brush with low flow (I've heard up to 60%, I use 5-10%) instead, it's great. It was a moment of "huh, so that's how they do it" when I found out about it. With it you can blend colors without getting the out-of-focus look.

This is all really useful, thanks; in particular I couldn't work out how to make a greyscale layer for checking values.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 402 days!

noggut posted:

Good catch, that's somewhere in the Lofoten Islands in Norway. That's all really good advice, thanks a lot!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Get on, no time to explain

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

actually a sheep, not a goat, so probably not satanic

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I used to do cross-hatching all the time, and was wondering why I stopped. Now, several hours later, I remember.

Usually I make the faces too long and narrow. This time I overcompensated and went in the opposite direction, which is hopefully a sign of progress and not regression.

E: Actually, looking at a smaller version, I think the issue is that the mouth and chin area is too big. What do you think, CC?

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 12, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think you need to make the top half of the head bigger. Maybe just a little bit. Also, I think the crosshatching is working against you with the hair. It might be better to have your lines flowing in the direction that the hair is falling.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Avshalom posted:

I used to do cross-hatching all the time, and was wondering why I stopped. Now, several hours later, I remember.

Usually I make the faces too long and narrow. This time I overcompensated and went in the opposite direction, which is hopefully a sign of progress and not regression.

E: Actually, looking at a smaller version, I think the issue is that the mouth and chin area is too big. What do you think, CC?
the mouth and chin size are fine. The perspective of the eyes and mouth isn't consistent with the rest of the head and the nose, however. The nose and head are facing to the side but the eyes and mouth are facing towards the viewer.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm feeling pretty seedy today, so here's one more simple straight-on view before I commit myself to 3/4 and profile shots for the rest of the month. Is the cranium-to-face ratio better here? The face looks way too small to me now, but I think I've shown that I'm not a good judge of that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It does look like you went a bit far in the other direction. A good rule of thumb is that the pupil is roughly halfway between the chin and the crown of the head. For example:

Leaving a bit of leeway for the volume of the hair.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I have a degree in graphic design. It took me four years and cost sixty thousand dollars.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Worth it, if only for that post.

also a frog

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Your frogs are cute! The highlights are good, very slick-looking. Some deeper shadows will make them pop more and bring out the shape of the frog.

Seriously, is there anything better than frogs?

Help, I can't stop. (There's only one more of these to go and then we can move on and put it behind us.)

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks, I'm having fun playing with colored pencil, but I've never used em much and I'm having some trouble getting the results I want.
Only one way to get better though.

Too may frogs, time for something newt.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sketches from a pose tutorial by Sycra, because I still draw people like brick shithouses and haven't got much of a sense of rhythm and flow in my poses yet. Started from right to left, since I'm left-handed. Please excuse the horrific spaghetti legs, I cleaned up my lines despite there not being any call to, but forgot to add clothing to the lower half, so they're just these weird mis-shapen tubes. I'll, err, remember for tomorrow. :blush:

I hit a personal goal as well: I didn't really get much done yesterday because I'm a champion procrastinator, which sometimes builds into acute anxiety from the guilt of not doing anything, so I managed to get to a point late in the night where I was too stressed to do anything and felt utterly miserable. So today I tried something different, which I'd meant to do from the start of the year: I got in from work, grabbed a coffee and a decent snack, put on some music and started drawing before my brain had time to concoct any ways of avoiding drawing until it was too late in the night. Once I get started I can keep going for hours, so I've got something productive done and can screw about guilt-free for the rest of the evening!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
*sultry pout*

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 402 days!
ran out of time today but posting anyway

bikes bikes bikes

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
So everyone knows about frogs and toads, newts and salamaders, but while looking up amphibian stuff for this thread I discovered something I'd never heard of before. Caecilians are limbless worm-like amphibians, and I had to draw one.

I took Avshalom's advice into account, and worked on black paper to help me focus on shadow. Wound up liking this one a lot.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Wow, that lighting looks awesome! I genuinely thought it was a photo from the thumbnail. Great job on the fearsome teeth, too.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

the end is in sight!

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

bird saints

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I promise this is the last one.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I went out and had some cocktails before I got around to drawing this, so it probably shouldn't count as daily practice. But it does. It'll look really wonky in the morning probably

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

fanart friday

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I'm so, so close to being happy with this one, but it's just not quite there. I've been staring at it for the past 90 minutes so I decided to stop fiddling with it and just post. The odd thing in the background is there because the reference is playing the harp, which does weird things to the light source because it's irregularly shaped and full of holes; I didn't want to get distracted by drawing the whole instrument so I just threw in some shadows to give some idea of what's going on.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Attractive women are my kryptonite. :cripes:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Bird

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Drew an assload of what I call "Proko-beans."

EDIT: Better image.

Avshalom posted:

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I went out and had some cocktails before I got around to drawing this, so it probably shouldn't count as daily practice. But it does. It'll look really wonky in the morning probably
This is my favorite of your portraits, actually. I think the alkeyhol loosened you up.

EDIT: While I'm doing Proko stuff, I'd really encourage you to check out his facial feature videos. I don't think you're quite seeing facial features as they really exist. Those videos helped me enormously and I think they'd help you too.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 18, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Quicker sketches today, because I think I spend too much time trying to render and also I'm getting a bit burnt out on these.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Poses and a bit of basic musculature, not very many because I was peering at anatomy diagrams the whole time. Definitely better than the last batch, but I really need to do more than I am, because my output is hilariously thin on the ground.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

i like birds.

Found Sound fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 19, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I read that "use hard brushes with really, really low Flow" tip and I gave it a quick whirl. I think I am a big fan!

One of the first amphibians: hynerpeton!

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Does anyone have a list of all the Daily Doodles subjects ?
Me and some friends are doing our own weekly challenges where we supply topics, and It'd be fun to see what you guys came up with.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Lumpy posted:

I read that "use hard brushes with really, really low Flow" tip and I gave it a quick whirl. I think I am a big fan!

One of the first amphibians: hynerpeton!

Nice!

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

shelper posted:

Does anyone have a list of all the Daily Doodles subjects ?
Me and some friends are doing our own weekly challenges where we supply topics, and It'd be fun to see what you guys came up with.

I haven't been keeping a list, but off the top of my head: Aqua month (underwater theme), birds, hands, anatomy, landscapes, snowscapes, heads, warm colors, dinosaurs, texture, places, cryptozoology, mechanical, animals and human figures.

• Locked thread