Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
We should just inject everyone in the Navy with disulfiram between liberty ports. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What exactly is a "liberty port"? I never found out while I was in.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ded posted:

What exactly is a "liberty port"? I never found out while I was in.

In 2008, USS Last Ship hit 26 ports in 6 months, 22 of them in western europe and scandinavia. I'm sorry that you never did cool stuff.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Angry Fish posted:

In 2008, USS Last Ship hit 26 ports in 6 months, 22 of them in western europe and scandinavia. I'm sorry that you never did cool stuff.

the only foreign ports my boat went to was Sasebo and Yokosuka and they were both working ports

its all chinas fault really, we were supposed to hit Brisbane for a lib port but they did some naval exercises that got the admirals panties in a twist

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

ded posted:

the only foreign ports my boat went to was Sasebo and Yokosuka and they were both working ports

its all chinas fault really, we were supposed to hit Brisbane for a lib port but they did some naval exercises that got the admirals panties in a twist

I'm glad I never experienced that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Spending time on the NAS and realized thread title was suppose to be Hang All Brown Shoes, TIA N4I for changing it :chiefsay:

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Seqenenra posted:

For some reason it is considered a leadership failure if you can't fix Little Johnny.

QFT. Story time:..

(For background, I was a submarine Nuke ET)

When I first arrived to my boat, all wide eyed and innocent, there was a SN in my division. Now this is unusual for nukes as we are push button E-4 after A-school and typically make E-5 shortly after arriving to the boat. It turns out that this fine lad had been on the boat for over a year. Shortly after he had made second off of the test a member of the weapons department asked him for his weapon's qualification card since they thought they had lost it. His response? "Oh, I never did that and lied about it." Boom, masted to E-3. On top of this, he didn't shower underway and required orders from our LPO to clean himself, couldn't perform maintenance, and required constant oversight on collateral duties (RC Div is pretty small, so everyone needs some collateral duty). During maintenance in the Reactor Compartment he purposefully brought out of range torque wrenches because he couldn't find the right kind and he also hadn't qualified SIR or his Dolphins (which he eventually did). He showed up to work with long hair and his personal poo poo was all hosed up (no insurance, expired tags/licence, etc.), which required a day of our chief driving him place to place. Soon after qualifying Reactor Operator he was caught by our LPO blazing rod height on his logs (a log that takes 3 minutes and requires staring at the panel in front of you). After he was caught he was relieved, the CoC notified and he was masted out of the Navy.

During his mast the Captain's attention wasn't on him, it was on my Chief and LPO. He basically screamed at them for failing him and talked about how hosed up they were. I'm just happy that the Captain got fired for almost getting our boat runover, he was a piece of poo poo.

/story time

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
This is exactly my point. Why the gently caress was he ever a reactor operator if he is as dicked up as all that? Reactor operator, does that mean what it sounds like?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Seqenenra posted:

This is exactly my point. Why the gently caress was he ever a reactor operator if he is as dicked up as all that? Reactor operator, does that mean what it sounds like?

because everyone needs to be able to stand the watch or it fucks everyone else, so shitheels get pushed through till they do something dumb

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Seqenenra posted:

Reactor Operator is a required qualification for all of RC Div. He was standing the watch because the division was seriously undermanned. I am of the opinion that qualifying the senior watches should be a matter of maturity, but sadly the EDM isn't written that way. Plus, the watches have to be manned.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Dude that had a legit neurological issue that made him kinda narcoleptic and occasionally unable to talk passed his sea duty screening and physical.

Great dude, ok at his job, just really should have been unable to reenlist and med boarded out.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Angry Fish posted:

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/1106/Navy-SEAL-who-wrote-book-about-the-bin-Laden-raid-loses-4.5-million

The idiot who wrote the Bin Laden book is suing his lawyers for telling him that it was perfectly fine publishing a book exposing government secrets.

He lost his security clearance and had to forfeit his $4.2 million to the government. Good.

that is insanely gay imo

execute the dude who wrote warrior princess and we're even

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/1106/Navy-SEAL-who-wrote-book-about-the-bin-Laden-raid-loses-4.5-million

The idiot who wrote the Bin Laden book is suing his lawyers for telling him that it was perfectly fine publishing a book exposing government secrets.

He lost his security clearance and had to forfeit his $4.2 million to the government. Good.

The reasons he gave for not submitting his account to the Pentagon for review? He wanted his account to be published before all the other books soon to be out. Jfc...

lol what an idiot.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
you guys only judge bc no one here ever knew cool secrets imo

no one gonna buy a book about what stupid rear end frequency you have memorized or w/e

justice4trayvawn fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 7, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

justice4trayvawn posted:

you guys only judge bc no one here ever knew cool secrets imo

no one gonna buy a book about what stupid rear end frequency you have memorized or w/e

i know a lot of cool secrets

secrets that aren't even tonals!

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

ded posted:

i know a lot of cool secrets

secrets that aren't even tonals!

submarines arent cool

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

justice4trayvawn posted:

submarines arent cool

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

justice4trayvawn posted:

submarines arent cool

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Shaved my beard today and made a few pit-stops down to clean shaven on the way just to gently caress around. Handlebars? Check. Fu Manchu? Check.

Still dicking around, pissing my girlfriend off on skype with my facial hair and that's when I realize my lunch needs to get off the stove. So I stop my grand faggotry and take care of business.

Immediately after lunch I realize "Man, I should grab some liquor while the store is open." Head over there and grab my stuff. The guy behind the counter is always in a bad mood, but as I'm grabbing my receipt just goes "The gently caress, man." which I shrug off because the browns are always mad. So I walk outside and realize I should grab some extra coffee and poo poo for work tomorrow. Head to Target after the liquor store.

Get home maybe 45 minutes later and while unpacking I glance at the microwave door reflection to realize that in my haste to get my lunch off the stove and the following distraction by booze, I did not actually shave off the Hitler-stache I was abusing my girlfriend with and did proceed to walk around this very ethnic Virginian city with my brown hair in a combover and nazi facial hair.

Related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S75Rfva9O8

Analogical fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
I know a couple cool secrets :shrug:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I don't know anything worth writing a book over, but I've learned a couple of pretty cool things.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know anything worth writing a book over, but I've learned a couple of pretty cool things.

But your archer avatar defined you

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Analogical posted:

"The gently caress, man."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Analogical posted:

But your archer avatar defined you

I had a Riker avatar for a long time prior to Archer. I decided it was time to go back for a while.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

I had a Riker avatar for a long time prior to Archer. I decided it was time to go back for a while.

These avatars have messed with me. For some reason whenever I read your posts I assume it's Riker behind the keyboard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SpaceJustice posted:

These avatars have messed with me. For some reason whenever I read your posts I assume it's Riker behind the keyboard.

This is my proudest day. :qq:

:riker:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

You know who else dressed as Riker? Francostein. :colbert:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

You know who else dressed as Riker? Francostein. :colbert:

Except I'm loving awesome. :colbert:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

When is it usually a good time to enroll into TAPS or whatever theyre calling it now? Hit my 4 years in 2 weeks, going to have a year left unless I choose to do early out to register for the Fall semester full-time. Doubt that would be realistic with how fast things move here and moving to a city in Texas I've never been to simply to go to school there. Couple of dudes using early outs to leave and get on welfare to play Destiny all day/join the French Foreign Legion to get away from the Navy bullshit makes me :lol:

Does the Navy pay a flat rate to move your stuff back to your home of record and is it confined to one city or just the state in general?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

When is it usually a good time to enroll into TAPS or whatever theyre calling it now? Hit my 4 years in 2 weeks, going to have a year left unless I choose to do early out to register for the Fall semester full-time. Doubt that would be realistic with how fast things move here and moving to a city in Texas I've never been to simply to go to school there. Couple of dudes using early outs to leave and get on welfare to play Destiny all day/join the French Foreign Legion to get away from the Navy bullshit makes me :lol:

Does the Navy pay a flat rate to move your stuff back to your home of record and is it confined to one city or just the state in general?

I went to TAPS about six months out. Make sure you save all your paperwork (all of it) in case they don't record your attendance there and so you don't get dirty looks at the capstone event.

They pay the same as they would for a PCS. I don't know how it works re: other cities in the same state because I moved back to my home of record.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just got lectured on male privilege by the domestic violence GMT lecture. The next 3 years cannot go by fast enough.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MancXVI posted:

I went to TAPS about six months out. Make sure you save all your paperwork (all of it) in case they don't record your attendance there and so you don't get dirty looks at the capstone event.

They pay the same as they would for a PCS. I don't know how it works re: other cities in the same state because I moved back to my home of record.

I never went to the capstone event, and nothing bad ever happened to me so: ?

All the moving stuff happened at my last PSD Afloat appointment where I got my DD-214 and poo poo.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

vulturesrow posted:

Just got lectured on male privilege by the domestic violence GMT lecture. The next 3 years cannot go by fast enough.

Tell them you are gay. And by not immediately considering that possibility, they were exhibiting their own hetronormative privilege. And you are now offended.

Remind me to tell you the tale of how I made the corpsman chief who came to lecture us on alcohol awareness break down into a stammering mess because I got the navy's "We hate alcohol" and the navy's "we love diversity and culture" and the navy's "gender discrimination is bad" philosophies to naked mud-wrestle.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ActusRhesus posted:

Tell them you are gay. And by not immediately considering that possibility, they were exhibiting their own hetronormative privilege. And you are now offended.

Remind me to tell you the tale of how I made the corpsman chief who came to lecture us on alcohol awareness break down into a stammering mess because I got the navy's "We hate alcohol" and the navy's "we love diversity and culture" and the navy's "gender discrimination is bad" philosophies to naked mud-wrestle.

It was the computer based training so I couldn't do that. Just kind of facepalm as I read it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If this isn't what's going on while GMT is presented in-person or on the computer then you are trying way too hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVECpIxrR_0

Edit: Also, as sad as I am to see Archer with the new season starting tomorrow, I am happy to see a smiling Jonathan Franks avatar MML.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 7, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Don't quote me but I think it's by distance from current command as the crow flies.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Back to your home of record or where you went to MEPS?

Where's squirrely

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Christoff posted:

Where's squirrely

gardening

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Christoff posted:

Back to your home of record or where you went to MEPS?

Where's squirrely

Oh hi there Christoff!

My experience was home of record (as listed as your place of residence upon enlistment). Coincidentally enough, this was also proof enough for Penn State to let me back in as an in-state student even though I had been living in Washington for 5 years, had a Washington Drivers License, and had my legal residence moved to Washington State.

I dont get it

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't quote me but I think it's by distance from current command as the crow flies.

I believe its the cost paid by the DoD to move you to your home of record. The DoD will pay you UP TO the amount it would cost you to move back to your home of record, but that doesn't preclude you from moving elsewhere upon departure from that hellish abyss.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh hi there Christoff!

My experience was home of record (as listed as your place of residence upon enlistment). Coincidentally enough, this was also proof enough for Penn State to let me back in as an in-state student even though I had been living in Washington for 5 years, had a Washington Drivers License, and had my legal residence moved to Washington State.

I dont get it

I believe its the cost paid by the DoD to move you to your home of record. The DoD will pay you UP TO the amount it would cost you to move back to your home of record, but that doesn't preclude you from moving elsewhere upon departure from that hellish abyss.

I thought you found your second love, gardening, when you retired from the Navy?

• Locked thread