Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Seqenenra posted:

For some reason it is considered a leadership failure if you can't fix Little Johnny.

That's a bullshit-rear end, cop-out one-liner that pussy passive-aggressive, spineless careerist butt-darts spew who would rather coddle every last goddamned mouth-breathing gently caress-up than cut their losses and call a spade a spade. I'm all for second or third chances...but at some point you have to be able to look at someone objectively in terms of productivity/output vs time spent coddling/"nurturing" them and go "this person isn't doing loving anything for the Navy except collecting a paycheck that my tax-dollars pay for, gently caress that noise get out."

Ask me how I really feel :smug:

Seqenenra posted:

You must be in 7th Fleet. If anything horrible or even not horrible happens it is a leadership failure here. I don't know if the policy has changed, but a couple of years ago whenever SN Timmy would have some kind of liberty incident, the first khaki would have to explain to Mr. CNFJ himself what happened and where leadership failed.

I was in C7F between 2009-2011. It got so bad in terms of liberty incidents making the Japanese news that *any* incident was followed by an immediate all-hands recall to the ship until every swinging dick was accounted for and whenever the CO felt like letting people go. The entire ship spent more than one weekend aboard ship while sitting in port.

If I recall correctly, the GW was "kicked out" of Yokosuka by C7F once or twice and made to anchor right outside the harbor (like 2 miles away from the shoreline of the base, just close enough so cats living on base could see the towers the lived in).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
It's been pretty quiet out here in terms of liberty incidents for a while, no murders at least. CNFJ and the other commands have started to take some of the pressure off; I think the sailors don't have to do liberty plans, maybe curfew has been removed. Which means that something horrible will probably happen any minute and I should go stock up on booze at the minimart because that is the first thing banned when horrible things happen.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

buttplug posted:

That's a bullshit-rear end, cop-out one-liner that pussy passive-aggressive, spineless careerist butt-darts spew who would rather coddle every last goddamned mouth-breathing gently caress-up than cut their losses and call a spade a spade. I'm all for second or third chances...but at some point you have to be able to look at someone objectively in terms of productivity/output vs time spent coddling/"nurturing" them and go "this person isn't doing loving anything for the Navy except collecting a paycheck that my tax-dollars pay for, gently caress that noise get out."

Ask me how I really feel :smug:

You're definitely in the spade category

:smug:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well some variety of tool, at least.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well some variety of tool, at least.

n1

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Cool, thanks for the answers dudes!

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
New mandatory NKO for all my sailors due by friday, CID GLOSS-CM-cul008 Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders Adored in South Korea

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Arione posted:

New mandatory NKO for all my sailors due by friday, CID GLOSS-CM-cul008 Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders Adored in South Korea

Not going to lie, I've had my cert for that up in one of the classes I teach for a long time.

Best NKO.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

PneumonicBook posted:

Not going to lie, I've had my cert for that up in one of the classes I teach for a long time.

Best NKO.

Chief and warrant about died laughing when I showed em the cert.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

RIP, couldn't get section 5 to complete, guess I'll never know how to adore Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Seqenenra posted:

It's been pretty quiet out here in terms of liberty incidents for a while, no murders at least. CNFJ and the other commands have started to take some of the pressure off; I think the sailors don't have to do liberty plans, maybe curfew has been removed. Which means that something horrible will probably happen any minute and I should go stock up on booze at the minimart because that is the first thing banned when horrible things happen.

We still do weekend liberty plans, curfew is now 01-05 instead of 00-05, and liberty buddy no longer required for people actually stationed here.

Don't know what it's really like in Yokosuka though.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

orange juche posted:

RIP, couldn't get section 5 to complete, guess I'll never know how to adore Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders

known bug, just check your jacket

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Don't know if it is the galley food or 'cold' snap but I feel terrible. I can't wait for this week to be over so I can get back to my (fake) real life being a student again.

Also, how about some actual Navy stuff.

quote:

Navy boot camp mulls no longer shaving recruits' heads

For men, getting their head shaved on the first day of Navy boot camp has been a rite of passage for decades.

Women are also required to get first-day haircuts to ensure their hair is trimmed to regulation length, equal to the uniform collar.

But the days of these old traditions could be numbered.

Women taking part in a three-month pilot program at Recruit Training Command Great Lakes, Illinois, and Officer Training Command Newport, Rhode Island, will not be required to get their hair shorn. A similar move is being considered for men that, if adopted, would eliminate the decades-long ritual.

The first pilot program will test new rules for women, according to Naval Service Training Command.

Instead of requiring women in boot camp to have their hair cut to the lower edge of the uniform collar, they would only be required to choose a hairstyle that meets Navy uniform regulations, according to the Jan. 8 NSTC release.

But if they still want the traditional haircut — they can request that, too.

"We are constantly considering fleet feedback and policy changes to improve training and quality of life during initial accession and indoctrination into the Navy," said Rear Adm. Rich Brown, commander of NSTC, in the release.

Female recruits aren't allowed to wear their hair longer or pinned up. As a result, NSTC said, female sailors and officers are not taught proper grooming standards, which would allow them to have longer hair when they reach the fleet

The pilot comes months after a high-profile case in which the Navy booted a mid-career sailor who refused to shear off her locks. Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims said she had worn this coiled, natural hairstyle, popular with black women, for the majority of her 12 years in uniform; her new bosses at RTC Great Lakes said the hairstyle violated regs. One of the lessons officials took from the controversy was that female hair regs are neither well-understood nor enforced in the fleet.

The pilot will bring the Navy in line with the other services, none of which require women to get their hair cut as part of recruit training.

"NSTC is considering a similar pilot program change regarding male recruits, following the pilot of the new female haircut program," according to the release.

Men have their heads shaved to one-eighth of an inch when entering training at Great Lakes, Newport and the Naval Academy — a ritual for decades.

They, too, could end up only being required to get a haircut that puts them inside the Navy's grooming standards. After the initial head shaving, all follow-on male haircuts during recruit or basic officer training are only required only to meet the service's grooming standards, a measure that ensures they graduate with regulation haircuts.

Final approval hasn't come for a male hair pilot program, and no schedule has been set, officials say.

"Presently, we are looking into the feasibility and logistics of a male haircut pilot, which would require males to have a regulation haircut of their choosing," NSTC spokesman Lt. Matthew Comer told Navy Times. "Once we determine the feasibility and training value of a male haircut pilot, we would move forward with planning."

When asked if recruits could opt to have their head shaved to the current 1/8-inch standard upon arrival, Comer replied: "Trimming hair to an 1/8-inch would certainly fall within those standards."

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/careers/2015/01/08/rtc-boot-camp-haircuts-navy/21439483/

Cue 'stree cards', easier than when I went through, and 'even the military anymore' in 5, 4...

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2015

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What's this 1/8th of an inch bullshit? My first navy haircut was definately 0/8ths of an inch.

:qqsay:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

:bahgawd: back in my day we got the top layer of skin removed from our skulls hargleblargalaablbalbh

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Can you wear the watch cap in NWUs now? I always thought it was just a useless piece of gear.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Useless? That's like the most useful thing if it's cold as balls

I believe it's command discretion. Definitely did in boot camp. But I can't imagine you'd be allowed to stroll around a base at 1 pm when it's 80 degrees out wearing one

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Our last deployment we wore watch caps because it got cold at night. None of the highers were actually around while night section worked; they were only exposed to the warm day time temperatures and tucked in a warm bed snugly at night so after several instances of chewing out a sentry for wearing them when they were shuttled in to the compound in the morning, they decided to secure watch caps at 09.

Had the highers spent more time working to find more bodies to man the watch rather than enforcing bullshit Navy uniform regulations on deployment, we probably would have been happier.

To be really Joe Navy though, I think the POD says what uniform items are authorized although here in San Diego, we don't really get cold weather so it's always NWU with working whites/NSU as an alternative in the summer.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Can you wear the watch cap in NWUs now? I always thought it was just a useless piece of gear.

Absolutely.

Also that's drat near required headwear in combat.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
combat? in nwus?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

combat? in nwus?

gotta fight the menace of dirty p-ways shipmate

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Sweepers will make or break your ship.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Seqenenra posted:

Sweepers will make or break your ship.

go vacuum the water off the deck in the rain...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

combat? in nwus?

I was referring to wearing it in combat because dude said it was useless.

During sea and anchor uniform was nwu's so yes?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I just meant useless to me, because I thought you could only wear it in coveralls and I don't get to wear those.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

I just meant useless to me, because I thought you could only wear it in coveralls and I don't get to wear those.

Uniform of the day here in great mistakes is:
NWUs
Parka with liner
Watch cap
Ski mask(yes both)
Scarf (not technically authorized in nwus but it's literally -30)
Gloves
Turtleneck

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arione posted:

go paint over the side underway in the rain...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Things good about Norfolk:
1. Norva
2. Adult dodgeball leagues
3. ...

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Arione posted:

go vacuum the water off the deck in the rain...

My favorite was sweeping snow during a blizzard.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

1. ...

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Boon posted:

1. Buffalo Wild Wings
2. Buffalo Wild Wings
3. B-Dubs

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oh dude, you didn't spell "The Dirty Buffalo" correctly

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Seeing it in my rearview mirror as I floored it PCSing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boon posted:

1. Norva
3. ...

A cooler full of beer on the sunny shores of NASO Dam Neck during the summer.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Years later, I am still bitter I was at Dam Neck from September to March.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Boon posted:

1. Norva
3. ...

1. Generic Theater
2. Leaping Lizard
3. ...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Let me tell you about San Diego.
Or literally any other Navy base on an ocean that isn't goddamn Norfolk.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Stultus Maximus posted:

Let me tell you about San Diego.
Or literally any other Navy base on an ocean that isn't goddamn Norfolk.

I hear ODU girls are easy and have lower standards than UCSD?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ActusRhesus posted:

I hear ODU girls are easy and have lower standards than UCSD?

Since I'm married I really only care that SD has better eye candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I have been in the Navy for almost 19 years and have never once set foot in VA. Feels good, man.

• Locked thread