Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

Uniform of the day here in great mistakes is:
NWUs
Parka with liner
Watch cap
Ski mask(yes both)
Scarf (not technically authorized in nwus but it's literally -30)
Gloves
Turtleneck

Wasn't it actually thin gloves inside of thick? I convinced a fellow recruit I woke up that it was two pairs of skivvies with a dry hand towel stuffed between them also.

Also hello Pensacola. Old boot checking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

-2004-2006, 2008 Gay chicken champ uss some lovely midwest city

you nailed the ship name

bravo zulu

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Wasn't it actually thin gloves inside of thick? I convinced a fellow recruit I woke up that it was two pairs of skivvies with a dry hand towel stuffed between them also.

Enjoy your Phase 1 liberty. Go catch a flick in your NSUs and don't forget to bring a backpack!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God how loving grumpy are you around all those loving kids, grandpa?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Tomorrow, I leave for Expeditionary Combat Skills in Gulfport, MS. I will be surrounded by boot EOD techs and Seabees for 26 days, god help me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DustyNuts posted:

Tomorrow, I leave for Expeditionary Combat Skills in Gulfport, MS. I will be surrounded by boot EOD techs and Seabees for 26 days, god help me.

When I think of ranking the trainees I would least like to be around, EOD and Seabees aren't really something that pops to mind. Should be chill.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Idk Seabees and EOD think they're quite the operators compared to any other job. they probably ingrain that poo poo in their heads during training. Seabees are mostly cool but yeah. Navy EOD think they're the most elite EOD compared to all the other branches

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yep. It's because they jump, dive, and work on sea mines. They really do have a broader skillset, but many of them are really insufferable until they're a year or two out of training and calm down. Seabees are OK for the most part. I just hope I don't end up as class leader or anything, I don't feel like babysitting.

But you're right, Mr. Nice, it's still going to be better than most other training environments. I shouldn't complain.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
wish i had gone seabees tbh

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're slowly phasing them out though. Or that's been the rumor for the last 10 years. They have terrible advancement now and they did get rid of a battalion (I think?)

I just remember them sitting inside the nice air conditioned lounge area with wifi while locals slaved away outside laying asphalt and building poo poo. The Seabees did build a platform for a Xmas tree though. There was just so many of them I didn't understand the point.

I wonder how popular Navy EOD has gotten since Godzilla

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Remember when the Seabees were cool and had a real job?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
"Plow jockeys" :bigtran:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

DustyNuts posted:

Be sure to check out Michael's. That's where all of the dependas single ladies go after hubby goes on deployment.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Can any ship people tell me anything about what medical officers do underway, what life is like for medical corps on a ship? How small of a ship actually has a doctor on it? Is it only big decks? In six years I never went on a ship, and now I'm considering coming back in to pay for medical school, and the officer recruiter said they're cutting the green side medical corps billets pretty dramatically in favor of PAs, so if I ended up GMO I'd probably head to a ship. I'd rather do green, but I generally assume if there's a way for the Navy to dick me, it will, so I'm guessing I'd end up as a Surface GMO. If there are any surface warfare HMs shoot me a line. Being a civilian owns so hard, but $150k of school bills paid for after the GI Bill expires is a bit much to pass up, and I'd come back at well over double my old base pay (plus higher BAH, specialty pay, etc). You'd think I would have learned my lesson the first time I joined the military...

EDIT: Not so much interested on the perceptions of non-medical as to what medical does. I know what you all think about it.
EDIT 2: Probably just going to join the Air Force this time, lol

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The much smaller ships have IDCs or a PA, yeah. But an LHD or above will definitely have a medical officer. LHDs actually serve as fleet hospitals so they have specialty docs (surgeons, etc) and a lot of regular docs. I was told the medical space on an LHD is bigger than a carrier.

Every Marine battalion has to have at least an MO (or DO I guess). Or at least that's how it was. Where I worked it was initially 2 MOs and an IDC but then a PA replaced one and became the battalion surgeon as the second one left. We got another MO soon after but the PA was left as the battalion surgeon. They might be using PAs more but aside from getting rid of some Marine battalions they're not downsizing too much.

Then you also have to factor in FST (fleet surgical team, blue side) and poo poo like STP (shock trauma platoon). Plus a ton of other places you can end up. Just greenside alone you have a lot. Then of course blueside there's flight surgeons, Seabees, special warfare poo poo, etc

But let's be honest you'll just end up in a hospital working family practice treating dependents with fibromyalgia or as a flight surgeon because they always seemed to be the least experienced/trained of the bunch.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

What barracks?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Christoff posted:

The much smaller ships have IDCs or a PA, yeah. But an LHD or above will definitely have a medical officer. LHDs actually serve as fleet hospitals so they have specialty docs (surgeons, etc) and a lot of regular docs. I was told the medical space on an LHD is bigger than a carrier.

Every Marine battalion has to have at least an MO (or DO I guess). Or at least that's how it was. Where I worked it was initially 2 MOs and an IDC but then a PA replaced one and became the battalion surgeon as the second one left. We got another MO soon after but the PA was left as the battalion surgeon. They might be using PAs more but aside from getting rid of some Marine battalions they're not downsizing too much.

Then you also have to factor in FST (fleet surgical team, blue side) and poo poo like STP (shock trauma platoon). Plus a ton of other places you can end up. Just greenside alone you have a lot. Then of course blueside there's flight surgeons, Seabees, special warfare poo poo, etc

But let's be honest you'll just end up in a hospital working family practice treating dependents with fibromyalgia or as a flight surgeon because they always seemed to be the least experienced/trained of the bunch.

Surgical teams get temporarily attached to LHDs/LHAs when they deploy. The medical bay and berthing is huge. Doctors do routine exams/treatment/sickbay/clinic stuff while at sea and also treat Sailors/Marines from other ships in the strike group while on deployment. Their life is actually pretty chill and they work "regular" hours while underway. So after 1600 they can probably watch movies and play video games and gym all they want.

I was lucky to be on an LHD for my tour as enlisted because I was able to do my DODMERB medical exam on deployment for my officer package. If I was on a small boy I might have been poo poo out of luck. I literally just walked into the CDR Doctor's office one day with the medical forms and asked him when I can do a DODMERB exam. He looked a little confused and then asked some questions about my application for officer then told me to come back the next day.

TLDR: So bottom line being a doctor out at sea on an LHD is pretty good job. You will deal with random/interesting medical problems and make a positive impact on people's lives without dealing with regular watch standing and other bullshit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

What barracks?

:q:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

:a2m:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CMD598 posted:

What barracks?

Temp housing over at Cory. So far only one small mouse seen.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

bro sir add me on battle net!!!!! moker#1896 !!!!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
There's a couple more around too, in the school, teaching at the school, or whatever.
:gooncamp:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I thought I was done with the cock show with boot camp.

Also whomever said the IT cadence was dumb as gently caress was 100% correct. It's made marching a nightmare while the arpoc tries to learn it.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought I was done with the cock show with boot camp.

Also whomever said the IT cadence was dumb as gently caress was 100% correct. It's made marching a nightmare while the arpoc tries to learn it.

You have an RCPO at A-School?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

You have an RCPO at A-School?

Not sure if it's temporary since I'm waiting to class up. But yes... Yes we do.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Not sure if it's temporary since I'm waiting to class up. But yes... Yes we do.

Hang all IDC, I'll start first once I do ORM

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hang all IDC

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Analogical posted:

Hang all IDC

And nothing of value was lost.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

But where Will the SWOs get actionable intelligence to ignore then?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
thanks for reminding me nko courses are due this month (technically due tomorrow for my division) I'm gonna totally dodge them.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Reserves is ok but I just accepted an offer for a really awesome internship that comes with full benefits and probably a permanent position after I graduate doing exactly what I want to do. They'll even let me keep benefits and some pay for the rest of the year after the internship is over. Basically, it rocks.

I was thinking about putting in an AT waiver for this year because between school, interning, and recovering from getting hurt last year I haven't had time to do anything. However.....

Today I got to watch my chief flip his poo poo over someone giving him a heads up that he didnt think he could do AT this year. Kid is recovering from being homeless and is afraid that 2 weeks of AT within the first month of starting might jeopardize their first ever adult job. Chief said that their number one priority should be the Navy Reserves and that they were going on AT. That same person only recently stopped living out of their car.

Last year I waived AT due to completely loving up my ankle. I'm actually expecting to get med-boarded any day now since I've been LLD for over a year even though I should be cleared within a month or two. My chief also gave a speech today about how we're downsizing and any reason they have to kick people out is going to be pursued. Not long after that, I burnt a lot of my built up good-will by telling him I wasn't skipping a week of school to go to an all-hands call to repeat training I'd already done. Also, all of our AT slots are 15 days long anyway so it wouldn't help me get my 2 weeks done since I'd end up doing 3 weeks total.

Needless to say, I'm kind of thinking of just putting in for IRR. Anyone have experience going SELRES to IRR? I've already done a decade of active duty time so I can route the chit any time. I need to stay SELRES until my internship starts in May so I have a little time as long as ~drama~ doesn't happen.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I'm pretty sure you just say "hey...I'm checking out" and you walk around getting a sheet filled in.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I'm pretty sure you just say "hey...I'm checking out" and you walk around getting a sheet filled in.

Excuse me I don't think you know how important permanent shore duty nukes are to the cause

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Needless to say, I'm kind of thinking of just putting in for IRR. Anyone have experience going SELRES to IRR? I've already done a decade of active duty time so I can route the chit any time. I need to stay SELRES until my internship starts in May so I have a little time as long as ~drama~ doesn't happen.

Did you take a bonus when you affiliated with the RC from AD? That would be the only real obstacle beyond your CoC for going SELRES -> IRR. You could also look at dropping a 6 month AA chit if that strikes your fancy.

Without knowing the exact circumstances I'd say that khaki sounds like a tool who is going with a boilerplate statement instead of trying to help. That is the one thing I wasn't prepared for dealing with in the RC is Sailors with families or lives that were totally hosed. Was easier on AD since you knew they were getting a paycheck (even if it was allotted to 29% APR cars and other stupid poo poo) and coming into work (so you saw them and talked to them) but, hard when you want to help and only see them monthly. Should know when to jettison jetsam but is difficult.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

justice4trayvawn posted:

Excuse me I don't think you know how important permanent shore duty nukes are to the cause

If only for a proper fire watch, the miami might still be afloat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also while looking up the name of that stupid boat, I read an article about the aftermath and it's hilarious to me.

quote:

While the report questioned the readiness by firefighters, the Navy also said it was to blame for failing to incorporate lessons learned from past fires into training and for not making the roles for Navy authorities clear. At one point, an order was given to turn back the firefighters dispatched from the Groton submarine base, who knew how to fight this kind of a fire. That order was overruled.

The Fleet Forces report included 99 recommendations – virtually all of which were redacted because they weren’t final decisions, Hawkins said. The Navy experiences a fire of comparable magnitude to the Miami blaze about every five years, and without corrective action, that pattern would continue, investigators said.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Did you take a bonus when you affiliated with the RC from AD? That would be the only real obstacle beyond your CoC for going SELRES -> IRR. You could also look at dropping a 6 month AA chit if that strikes your fancy.

Without knowing the exact circumstances I'd say that khaki sounds like a tool who is going with a boilerplate statement instead of trying to help. That is the one thing I wasn't prepared for dealing with in the RC is Sailors with families or lives that were totally hosed. Was easier on AD since you knew they were getting a paycheck (even if it was allotted to 29% APR cars and other stupid poo poo) and coming into work (so you saw them and talked to them) but, hard when you want to help and only see them monthly. Should know when to jettison jetsam but is difficult.

Nope! I came into a field that was at CREO3 manning and am told every year that if I ever want to MAKE CHIEF HOOYAH that I need to crossrate.

What is this 6 month AA thing you speak of?
Is it where you just take AAs for 6 months, keep benefits, and get a bad year unless you make up points otherwise?

FWIW, I don't give a gently caress about retirement, rank, or anything beyond TRICARE paying for my wife's medicine until corporate healthcare kicks in. My contract extends just beyond graduation and there is zero chance of reenlisting. I'm just here to avoid taking out a student loan to pay for healthcare costs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So NAS Pensacola,NAS Whiting Field won large and small installation of the year respectively.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha holy loving :lol:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hope you like your new base sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

So NAS Pensacola,NAS Whiting Field won large and small installation of the year respectively.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha holy loving :lol:

Well at least we still have our galleys. Oh wait.... :negative:

• Locked thread