Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hope he got Shipmated before having his ribbons fixed :chiefsay:

Go Oregon, go not Alabama; Big 10, Pac-12 national championship supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Spending time on the NAS and realized thread title was suppose to be Hang All Brown Shoes, TIA N4I for changing it :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If this isn't what's going on while GMT is presented in-person or on the computer then you are trying way too hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVECpIxrR_0

Edit: Also, as sad as I am to see Archer with the new season starting tomorrow, I am happy to see a smiling Jonathan Franks avatar MML.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 7, 2015

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Don't know if it is the galley food or 'cold' snap but I feel terrible. I can't wait for this week to be over so I can get back to my (fake) real life being a student again.

Also, how about some actual Navy stuff.

quote:

Navy boot camp mulls no longer shaving recruits' heads

For men, getting their head shaved on the first day of Navy boot camp has been a rite of passage for decades.

Women are also required to get first-day haircuts to ensure their hair is trimmed to regulation length, equal to the uniform collar.

But the days of these old traditions could be numbered.

Women taking part in a three-month pilot program at Recruit Training Command Great Lakes, Illinois, and Officer Training Command Newport, Rhode Island, will not be required to get their hair shorn. A similar move is being considered for men that, if adopted, would eliminate the decades-long ritual.

The first pilot program will test new rules for women, according to Naval Service Training Command.

Instead of requiring women in boot camp to have their hair cut to the lower edge of the uniform collar, they would only be required to choose a hairstyle that meets Navy uniform regulations, according to the Jan. 8 NSTC release.

But if they still want the traditional haircut — they can request that, too.

"We are constantly considering fleet feedback and policy changes to improve training and quality of life during initial accession and indoctrination into the Navy," said Rear Adm. Rich Brown, commander of NSTC, in the release.

Female recruits aren't allowed to wear their hair longer or pinned up. As a result, NSTC said, female sailors and officers are not taught proper grooming standards, which would allow them to have longer hair when they reach the fleet

The pilot comes months after a high-profile case in which the Navy booted a mid-career sailor who refused to shear off her locks. Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims said she had worn this coiled, natural hairstyle, popular with black women, for the majority of her 12 years in uniform; her new bosses at RTC Great Lakes said the hairstyle violated regs. One of the lessons officials took from the controversy was that female hair regs are neither well-understood nor enforced in the fleet.

The pilot will bring the Navy in line with the other services, none of which require women to get their hair cut as part of recruit training.

"NSTC is considering a similar pilot program change regarding male recruits, following the pilot of the new female haircut program," according to the release.

Men have their heads shaved to one-eighth of an inch when entering training at Great Lakes, Newport and the Naval Academy — a ritual for decades.

They, too, could end up only being required to get a haircut that puts them inside the Navy's grooming standards. After the initial head shaving, all follow-on male haircuts during recruit or basic officer training are only required only to meet the service's grooming standards, a measure that ensures they graduate with regulation haircuts.

Final approval hasn't come for a male hair pilot program, and no schedule has been set, officials say.

"Presently, we are looking into the feasibility and logistics of a male haircut pilot, which would require males to have a regulation haircut of their choosing," NSTC spokesman Lt. Matthew Comer told Navy Times. "Once we determine the feasibility and training value of a male haircut pilot, we would move forward with planning."

When asked if recruits could opt to have their head shaved to the current 1/8-inch standard upon arrival, Comer replied: "Trimming hair to an 1/8-inch would certainly fall within those standards."

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/careers/2015/01/08/rtc-boot-camp-haircuts-navy/21439483/

Cue 'stree cards', easier than when I went through, and 'even the military anymore' in 5, 4...

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2015

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

A cooler full of beer on the sunny shores of NASO Dam Neck during the summer.

Years later, I am still bitter I was at Dam Neck from September to March.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Analogical posted:

I was going to go down to Norfolk last month and check out what ships look like (are the wings really underwater??) but my roommate ended up divorcing his wife who was stationed there and going to show me around.

I got navy'd out of being navy'd

[rose tinted]Ships are cool as long as you aren't stationed on them. Show up for work-ups, deploy, and then be in either a building or other ship in-port with the old man's pennant on it. Wash-rinse-repeat.[/rose tinted]

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Not sure if it's temporary since I'm waiting to class up. But yes... Yes we do.

Hang all IDC, I'll start first once I do ORM

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Needless to say, I'm kind of thinking of just putting in for IRR. Anyone have experience going SELRES to IRR? I've already done a decade of active duty time so I can route the chit any time. I need to stay SELRES until my internship starts in May so I have a little time as long as ~drama~ doesn't happen.

Did you take a bonus when you affiliated with the RC from AD? That would be the only real obstacle beyond your CoC for going SELRES -> IRR. You could also look at dropping a 6 month AA chit if that strikes your fancy.

Without knowing the exact circumstances I'd say that khaki sounds like a tool who is going with a boilerplate statement instead of trying to help. That is the one thing I wasn't prepared for dealing with in the RC is Sailors with families or lives that were totally hosed. Was easier on AD since you knew they were getting a paycheck (even if it was allotted to 29% APR cars and other stupid poo poo) and coming into work (so you saw them and talked to them) but, hard when you want to help and only see them monthly. Should know when to jettison jetsam but is difficult.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I thought it was interesting.

justice4trayvawn posted:

i didn't

ur move

Really makes you think, eh.

My 2c are that I am happy they are getting rid of calling it an LCS since L should stick with the terrible, Gator Navy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

After 3 on the east coast, calling rope yarn. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here :chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Chuckle posted:

In other news, it's still raining here in GLORIOUS NIPPON

Weather chat, now that I can support. Winter weather advisory in north Texas, might see some snow after last years icepocolypse.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vriess posted:

Chris Kyle was a racist psychopath who lied about everything he did and was killed by his own stupidity.

What I'm trying to say is that he'd be at home in GiP.

Hot take caller, thanks for tuning in. We go next to Bob from San Diego, go ahead Bob.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Quick question:

Dude in the background has a device, maybe the fmf corpsman device? But he's also wearing what looks like the usmc good conduct ribbon. Is that weird? Do they give those medals to corpsmen or maybe that device to marines? Is it something else entirely?

Looks like Navy Reserve GCM to me. They also just changed it to where reservists now get the active GCM. Don't know why they felt the need to change that but, whatever.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Analogical posted:

tl;dr :negative: i just want to be loved

The IDC loves you. Just come on back, babe, I swear I won't hit you again.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Was going to make a big care/effort post about this but will just say this, if you think that middie has a Marine Corps GCM and not Navy Reserve Meritorious Service, ie, GCM, for a guy with an FMF device, I don't know what to do with you.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Doing the IDC Lord's work here. Made me feel better after being pissed all evening when my car decided not to start today or take a jump. Going to try changing the starter tomorrow with beer-payment, friend labor assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

KetTarma posted:

P good username

If you didn't play Alpha Centauri as CEO Morgan and either corner the energy market or buy your units straight cash, you just weren't playing the right(tm) way

• Locked thread